Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, I'd say their voters elected them to own the libs and attack their preferred target minorities. The billionaires and megacorporations that fund them though, yeah, useless paralysis is exactly what they want.

Megacorps do not want highly unstable markets due to congress not passing a basic budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Levitate posted:

They didn’t do anything because white people can’t be terrorists (unless they’re antifa)

Perhaps we can just simply combine Republican and White to simplify things, Rhite people can't be terrorists.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People evade their own security detail all the time.

Those people are probably able to walk up stairs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Jews don't believe that Jesus was a prophet. This is a pretty incredible error to make at the start of your exegetical post to be frank, like it's blowing my mind that someone could believe they know about Judaism and Christianity but get this wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judaism%27s_view_of_Jesus

I don't see the word prophet in Leon's post?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

the other hand posted:

If Trump’s belief in the legality of his actions was genuine, I think the relevant standard here may be one of reckless disregard for the truth. A genuinely held delusion wouldn’t protect him if no reasonable person in his position could believe it.

If the government can’t show that his belief wasn’t genuinely held, I think the case will ultimately turn on the issue that a few attorneys around Trump said “this is all ok.” - whether that’s enough that some reasonable person might believe it even in the face of most other people (including other attorneys) saying otherwise.

I believe I won this election therefore it is right of me to setup fake electors and to have my people storm the capital to attack the center of government, is not a winning argument.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Someone should just convince Musk to run as a third party, bring on the chaos.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Just saw they call it "re-truthed" how freaking sad is that

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

The entire article is wild just tons of crying about these businesses that are breaking the law and how dare someone hold them to account. I especially liked the hotel manager who says no one even uses the improvements they put in place! Which is an interestinf juxtaposition to their crying that the dude didn't notify them via other means than an ADA lawsuit. You know so they could totally not ignore him and thwir obligations under the law which is why the law even allows people to sue in the first place. And of course the democratic rep quoted crying about how unfair the ADA is. loving shameful poo poo all around.

quote:

U.S. Representative Kathy Castor (D-Hillsborough County) believes businesses don’t always get a fair shake with current ADA laws. In 2013, she co-sponsored a bill that would give businesses 90 days to fix violations.

“This cries out for reform,” she said. “I do think that it is fair to give businesses a reasonable time to comply with the law and if they don’t then there should be consequences.”

In case people were curious about the actual quote from the Dem Rep.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Well then it certainly seems like this is a non-issue or something that could be fixed by having a proper regulatory body, and I think the previous poster's assessment of what the Dem rep said was essentially accurate, unless you are incapable of inference.

The person performing the lawsuits in the first place also agreed a 90 day grace period would be a good idea.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

azflyboy posted:

I assume Trump has already sent a new RV to Thomas.

You mean promised one but will never deliver.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eregos posted:

I was trying to think what George Santos do that was worse than Trump's equivalent behavior? My only answer so far is Trump didn't categorically make up his background. A surprising % of Republicans condemn Santos but not Trump, so I think this is a good discussion topic because it can encourage people to think. I'm wondering if anyone has an intellectually honest answer, though I haven't searched for discussion on it much.

If Trump was just a house member in an not super contested district they probably would give him the same poo poo they gave Santos.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If a lawyer knowing/working with the judge 30 years ago was grounds for dismissal than like over 50% of cases out there would be tossed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kchama posted:

Fleischman’s going for the “she was intentionally extending the investigation as long as possible to pay her husband more” which is why I think he’s kind of not being particularly neutral here.

Yeah its a pure insanity argument and I question anyone that takes anything he says at face value.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

For starters, they should not have waited a month to start the impeachment of a president that attempted a self coup, followed up by declining to present any evidence or witnesses during this impeachment because they wanted to go home for their valentine week off.

I think you have a warped idea of how things work and what happened here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

They should have arrested all of the congress that were active participants in sedition instead of.... doing nothing.

I think arresting members of congress is something that needs a high bar of evidence and to not be rushed. Well honestly it should be that for everyone but you know... America.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yiggy posted:

This defense attorney has been described as good in thread by other attorneys for chasing the hard angles for her client but watching this questioning right now she seems shakey, and like she’s engaged in a fishing expedition needing constant redirection from the judge and sounding unsure about what she’s even asking.

I mean if I was 100% guilty of some poo poo I'd want my defense attorney to throw every BS hail mary they could to try to get me off.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

according to 15 seconds of googling, trump tower is only 664' and the average height of the new york skyline is 981', so trump didn't change poo poo

Maybe we should be looking into if he helped with 9-11.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Caros posted:

Oh gently caress off. Don't twist my words.

Trump is a narcissist who doesn't give a drat about his kids other than that he wants to gently caress one and that their 'success' reflects back on him. My point wasn't 'blood for the blood god' it was that one of the points of civil penalties is to deter poo poo behavior.

If Trump goes to the grave without ever facing anything but a tut-tut finger wag for decades of fraud and criminal behavior, the justice system has failed, even if his kids lose some of their inherentance after the fact.

You understand today's ruling while sucking didn't reduce the actual penalties he is facing overall just the amount he needs to pay to avoid liquidation during an appeal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

This is why people are mad. This is not a consideration 99% of the time. Whether someone, even pre trial, is going to lose their job because they can’t make bail doesn’t matter. And that will have a much larger impact on their life than Trump losing some buildings. Why does it matter for the ultra rich only?

This varies wildly court by court but I used to work with public defenders and quite often judges would take these kind of things into consideration. You just don't hear about every time someone's bail is reduced so they don't lose their job at Wal-Mart, it should be way more codified and not up to whatever whims of the judge but it certainly does happen often enough.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, it does, but also it often doesn't. I've seen bail denied in cases where people were seeking bail so they could get cancer treatment.

Yeah its random and it shouldn't be but its not some magical thing that only happens to rich like people are pretending.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Bible posted:

That's more or less my point.

I hate to doompost, but I don't see how any of you still have any faith in the legal system at all. This poo poo builds up weekly and the numbers get bigger, but nothing ever really happens.

Our justice system allows for appeals, it's not something just rich people get I don't think we should wipe out legal rights and processes just because we don't like the rear end in a top hat being charged.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Bible posted:

Alright, I didn't consider that. My mistake, I stand corrected. Clearly that isn't right. But neither is this:

I guess I just feel like justice shouldn't be paywalled behind expensive lawyers, and I'm a little surprised at how controversial this view seems here. Not everyone has the money to afford good lawyers, so do they just not deserve fair treatment like the rich get from the courts? Yeah, you can get a court-appointed lawyer who is badly overloaded and not guaranteed to be very invested in doing their best for you, but we both know that's not nearly the same as an expensive lawyer who can spend all his time on just your case.

I guess the idea that the right to a fair trial being basically DLC just doesn't sit well with me.

It's not controversial, not a single person here has even hinted that justice should only be for the rich.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Murgos posted:

Maybe this is dumb but if SCOTUS were to rule that the president enjoys even modest immunity to criminal prosecution due to implied article II powers then that seems to be also potentially enjoining the power of congress to impeach a president.

It seems to me to be too fine a line for there to be acts which assume some level of implied constitutionally protected status but that you can be impeached for.

Yeah like if you are immune to crimes unless this group of 100ish people vote to stop you, what happens if you just kill those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

A part of me is actually legitimately concerned if he's trying to do this on purpose to further rally his base and trying to pull a Hitler.

I dunno that would require him to be personally inconvenienced to such an extent I couldn't see him doing it for any amount of power, maybe his handlers are setting it up though.