Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Silly Burrito posted:

But is Fox NEWS covering this? I don't think it is.

WaPo Live said no, Fox isn't, Fox News isn't, you have to get Fox Business to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

There was a scene with a large group of people pushing against a group of cops, and each person was being pushed by the person behind them, and more people kept coming in and adding their force to the human battering ram... and you could start to hear them just moaning from the life being squeezed out of them, hundreds of people rhythmically groaning like they had combined to becoming some terrible fleshy monster. Very eerie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Side note, I really love the "justice is a cudgel" baseball bat Hershman has on his wall.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

LET THE ARMED PEOPLE THROUGH SO THEY CAN GO TO THE CAPITOL LATER

Yeah I dunno but that seems pretty damning

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

"we're going to get charged with every crime imaginable"

that's a pretty good quote to show people were aware of what was happening

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

All of this furthers my impression that Trump thought the US electoral system literally functioned liked a Capture the Flag match, and that if he and his supporters could simply enter the Capitol and hold ground for a few minutes, he would be get to be the new president and Biden would have to give up

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mdemone posted:

It's not fluff, it's direct testimony. Why are you all not understanding that this is different from us all knowing that it happened?

The right has poisoned our culture to the point that we no longer acknowledge a difference between "believing" and "knowing".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

The unfortunate fact we've all been pounded with over the last six years or so is that not only do a significant number of people not care about any of that, they actively support the much worse stuff it led to like the insurrection. Evidence it was illegal and illegitimate won't convince them it's bad or wrong. They want the end no matter the means.

Not even despite the means, but because of them! If Trump was directly, physically leading a violent insurrection on the capitol then that just makes him Sir William Wallace, to his fans.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So, being that it's the 30th, I was looking for the original source of where the "indictment announcement by the 30th" came from, can anyone help? I found this newsweek piece:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-may-charged-trying-overthrow-election-end-month-1714783

quote:

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis told the Associated Press that she expects to come to a decision on whether her office will charge the former president by June 30 for allegedly attempting to overthrow the results in Georgia.
"I certainly think that in the first half of the year that decision will be made," Willis said in January.

That seems to be referencing this AP piece:
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-crime-donald-trump-elections-georgia-5f716d5b834829e708069233e34e6d38

quote:

“I believe in 2022 a decision will be made in that case,” Willis said. “I certainly think that in the first half of the year that decisions will be made.”
But Willis told the AP that she hasn’t imposed deadlines on her staff and has urged them to be thorough in their examination.

Is that all this is? A vague quote from January that she'd probably decide roughly in the first half of the year, and then people took an official announcement of June 30th as a planned hard deadline? And kept repeating it from then?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What's to stop the J6 committee from simply putting up some cameras, telling the Oath Keeper guy "alright you're totally being broadcast live on American TV right now" and letting him spill his guts, without actually streaming it anywhere? Do they have some kind of obligation not to lie to people? Do witnesses have some kind of legal right to be aired on NBC when they testify? If they aren't allowed to lie, can they not just say, "OK you're live" without mentioning it's only being streamed live privately?

Would it be more like a plea deal, like a written contract? Can't they just renege on a plea deal if they feel like it anyway? Who would judge whether that is acceptable in that case, since there's no actual "Judge"?

Forgive me but I have little to no idea what the actual procedural realities of a grand jury like this are.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

"Pat Cipollone set a new landspeed record" :lmao:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

My first instinct is to laugh but it's really a terrible tragedy that 8kun is an important influencing factor on national US politics.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I expected cippolone to be more oppositional. he was the poster boy for legal foot-dragging and non-cooperation with investigations in previous investigations into trump

Well he did refuse to go into anything Trump said.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

God, please let Alex Jones see some consequences for this too :pray:

Incredible. I can't IMAGINE what the contents of that Friends of Stone chat must look like. I hope it's a big focus.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I really enjoyed the "here is trump's secret plan to attack the capitol, make sure not to tell anyone" text

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Awwww, that's all? I coulda watched another three hours of this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

WEEPING INJURED POLICEMAN WOWOWOW

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Trump just doing witness tampers on his personal phone!! I really needed a day like this

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Oh my god I can't believe that was three hours, it felt like one.

I know I'm posting excitedly, I know that even with all this huge evidence we still can't assume even an indictment, but it's still extremely gratifying to watch these people roast publicly. To see people directly call this out as an attempt for violent revolution by Trump - i.e., they're saying the quiet part out loud in a good way.

And often just funny to behold their incompetence.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Does anyone have the exact quote of that text that basically said "trump's planning a secret coup, here's the deets, don't tell anyone"? That was probably the single biggest piece of damning evidence to me, particularly in conjunction with other evidence and witnesses of Trump matching what the text said. I'm not sure who who that was actually from, I think it was from the Friends of Stone text chain? There's just no way they know what Trump is planning unless they're actively collaborating with him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

That would be the one, yes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Next hearing is going to be about Trump's dereliction of duty during the riot. Thompson said there will be a minute-by-minute account of J6.

I was watching some Washington Post post-coverage, and they had a reporter who said she talked to the crippled policeman war vet before the hearing. She asked if he had anything about how he was feeling, going into everything, and he responded back with only two words: "He knew."

Not legal evidence of course, but I don't think it can be overstated how much impact the human, emotional bits like this have on the court of public opinion. At least as important as the actual details of the case.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

"As someone who's committed a lot of murders--not here, of course--it takes a lot of work to commit a murder. And he didn't put a lot of work into this murder."

Even if that's true, just because he wasn't planning every detail doesn't mean it wasn't planned. That "1776 Returns" document showed a lot of detail from the Proud Boys.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Trumpism is just saying what they already think out loud. The cult of personality is one they've already had under Reagan.

None of this is unique. If they remove "trumpism" they still are fascists.

But saying those things out loud isn't just nothing. It influences people. If I walk into a coffee shop, it means something for me if I don't have people yelling at me for being queer, and instead they keep their bigotry to themselves. It hurts people when elected members of the government go on TV and say that transgender people are pedophiles who are grooming their children, instead of only talking about that behind closed doors. The more you let people give a voice to their hatred, the more it emboldens them and those around them to go even further.

Maybe most importantly, it's harder to find like-minded people and form groups if you can't openly talk about your ideology.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

That's not true at all. The current rise in open bigotry is a response years of white cis resentment. Trump was a symptom, not a cause.

If you think removing trump is going to slow down the run to white christo-fascism, you're going to be disappointed.

The debate wasn't about removing Trump, but Trumpism, which you define as "Trumpism is just saying what they already think out loud". The original poster referenced the GOP cutting out trumpism like a cancer. To me that means removing support for politicians who are calling for policy that attacks minorities & other vulnerable populations based on nothing more than openly bigoted justifications. I would see that as a win. It doesn't stop bigotry, but it makes it just a tiny bit harder.

As an example, you have this Rep from Illinois who's backed by Trump and said that Dobbs is "a historic victory for white life" at her campaign rally. (link) To me, it's good if elected officials stop saying poo poo like that and have to at least come up with some kind of justification for their cruel & hateful policy, rather than just being able to go up on stage and say "vote for me because I'll protect white privilege". Because, yes, the current rise in open bigotry is a response to years of white cis resentment, but that's cyclical; racist politicians stoke white resentment, which leads to more open bigotry, which leads to more resentment, and around it goes.

Those aren't the only factors, but when you have widespread general feelings of alienation it's really easy to exploit that and say "these people are your enemies! these are the baddies! and because of that, we should oppress them!" That's the thing I was commenting on.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

How did you get it? What did you have to provide? In my case? An ID, proof of residence, party affiliation, and a signature.

Everything people fighting "voter fraud" say we should have to show

Mine doesn't have a photo. Cheap unlaminated paper. I could easily walk in with anyone's voter registration card if they don't ask for photo verification. Not that it's a big deal, but theoretically that's why the registration card might not be sufficient. But, you can't just use an ID because you need to register to vote in a primary.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

mdemone posted:

I've been talking a lot with my therapist about the dynamic of projection, which prior to maybe 2013 or so, I did not really believe was a way in which people could behave. Like, I knew what it was, but it always seemed like a relic of psychological theories from the past, Freudian stuff and whatever.

The last decade of watching projection play out in my personal life as well as on small and large scales in society....well, it's been a hell of an eye-opening experience.

Are we particularly susceptible to it in modern times? Is it more easily recognized now? What the hell is wrong with people?

We're very vulnerable to it, and I'd even say it plays a big role in society at large. Take this study:
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/957305

quote:

Interestingly, the present study reveals that people with low socio-economic status perceive more ‘anomie’ in society than people with a higher one, which in turn explains why they also trust politics less.

This is a very broad overgeneralization, but basically, my takeaway is that if your life sucks and is falling apart, you're more likely to assume society in general sucks and is falling apart. It's kinda the opposite of the bias that a rich white privileged man has when they assume that since all they had to do to succeed is put in a little effort, that means that's true for everyone, and poors just aren't trying.

People just kinda assume that the things that are true in their life are probably the same everywhere without really questioning it. Unless you do make an effort to question it. Is that projection? I'd say it's related, at least.

So, take an example. COVID, last few years. Maybe it's loving up your life, so you feel like society is falling apart around you. But, it's not. Or, at least, the government didn't create COVID. Vaccines aren't a government plot to poison you. But you feel like you're hurting, therefore someone must be hurting you, it's the gov't's job to keep you safe, so clearly they're failing, how can you trust them?

I'm not sure why this is related to J6 but it's an interesting topic to me. I guess the general idea is that you can appeal to low-income demos by saying that government can't be trusted. A classic.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Lemming posted:

In theory. But they deleted the loving text messages that would reveal whether they were doing it to try to protect his life or under the direction of Trump, and then slow walked investigations into what happened that day. The best case scenario is they're so loving stupid they accidentally deleted all their messaging on probably the most important days of their careers, which makes them all so incompetent they need to be fired yesterday

If it helps, the director announced his retirement today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/07/07/secret-service-director-james-murray-retirement/10007224002/

He's taking over as CEO for Snapchat, the platform where all your messages automatically delete themselves after 24 hours. And just to be clear, the USSS spokesman made sure to mention that this has "no relation at all" to the recent J6 hearings.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 20, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

"I THINK IT'S A GODFATHER REFERENCE" lololol

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Uglycat posted:

The plan was to show up in person and lead the mob himself.

Denied that, he hid in a private room with a burner phone for 2.5 hours. He emerged with a script to follow that none of the wh staff had handed him, and that script interfered with his ability to deliver the scripts offered by white house staffers, and after putting enormous social pressure on him to gain compliance, they all gave up and went home.

E: maybe he was watching fox news. Maybe he was talking to flynn. Maybe he was in thoughtful meditation. Maybe he was on 8chan. Maybe he was getting direction from the Kremlin.

We'll probably never know, but we don't have to.
Trump is guilty of treason.

They showed a couple phone logs from that time from Giuliani's phone. Not sure what phone Trump was calling from, though, since the WH phone logs were empty for the entire riot for some ridiculous period of time, several hours at least.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone one of this right wing a-holes has the exact same look when they "smile": a massive straining grin, and an absolutely blank and lifeless shark-eyed stare bereft of the simple joy they're desperately trying to convey to you that they're ostensibly feeling. It's utterly chilling when you recognize it.

It's the exact look Homelander from The Boys is always giving, desperately holding back utter contempt for every other human being on the planet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Correcto, and here's the PBS NewsHour stream which I appreciate because of their no-frills approach.

https://youtu.be/7mhhCNqsrcI

Thank you for this, I'm always indecisively switching back and forth between streams trying to find the one with the least annoying extra bs.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So, I don't know much about the 5th, but there are situations where it's invalid, right? Like, it has to be something that could incriminate you?

If they were asking Trump in order to investigate about crimes committed by others actors, could he plead the 5th about that?

I'm not going anywhere with this, I don't have any ideas specifically, it just seems so... incredibly pointless to subpoena someone who's just gonna say, "5th, 5th, 5th." Which, even that I can understand, sometimes the democrats are gonna do pointless poo poo just as political kabuki. But then they played that video of people pleading the 5th right after they said they were gonna subpoena Trump, as if to remind you that was all that would happen and that what they're doing is pointless. It seems weird for them to admit that what they're doing has no value.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

Here's the report summary, with 50 pages of footnotes https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23466415

quote:

V. Other Conspiracy Statutes (18 U.S.C. §§ 372 and 2384)

Depending on evidence developed by the Department of Justice, the President’s actions with the knowledge of the risk of violence could also constitute a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 372 and § 2384, both of which require proof of a conspiracy. Section 372 prohibits a conspiracy between two or more persons “to prevent, by force, intimidation, or threat, any person from accepting or holding any office, trust, or place of confidence under the United States, or from discharging any duties thereof, or to induce by like means any officer of the United States to leave the place, where his duties as an officer are required to be performed, or to injure him in the discharge of his official duties.”649 Oath Keepers Kelly Meggs, Kenneth Harrelson, and Jessica Watkins were convicted of violating 18 U.S.C. 372 in connection with the January 6 attack on the Capitol.650 The Committee believes that former Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows (who refused to testify and was held in contempt of Congress) could have specific evidence relevant to such charges, as may witnesses who invoked their Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination before this Committee.

Section 2384, the seditious conspiracy statute, prohibits “conspir[acy] to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States . . . or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder or delay the execution of any law of the United States . . . .”651 A jury has already determined beyond a reasonable doubt that a conspiracy existed under Section 2384, as the leader of the Oath Keepers and at least one other86 individual were convicted of seditious conspiracy under Section 2384 for their actions related to the attack on the Capitol.652 A trial regarding a series of other “Proud Boy” defendants may also address similar issues.653

The Department of Justice, through its investigative tools that exceed those of this Committee, may have evidence sufficient to prosecute President Trump under Sections 372 and 2384. Accordingly, we believe sufficient evidence exists for a criminal referral of President Trump under these two statutes.

It sounds like they also made a referral for seditious conspiracy?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a favorite livestream on youtube to watch for news

This CBS stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMT4KWdc4E

has a guy inside the courtroom who said it was 34 counts of falsifying business records. Nothing too exciting.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

OgNar posted:

"The only crime I have committed is to defend our nation from those who seek to destroy it."
I cant watch this, will wait for good clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhPdeVEMrGk

The song choice alone is incredible. I tried to watch and I think I noped out at around the same point as you, I just don't have it in me in 2023 to intentionally expose myself to this nonsense anymore.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

All I did was point out that it was a gross thing to say, but I guess it's ok to be gross to the right people, I guess.

I get what you're saying, and you're right. There can be issues with dehumanizing your opponents, even when they do actually act inhuman. But no one is going to back you up on this one. MTG truly is monstrous and she's pretty much directly, intentionally, and gleefully endangering a significant number of the posters on this board, including me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah that seems out of character? But also what do I know so…?

Does Twitter have a “save to drafts” function I never cared to learn about or something?

This actually came up in the J6 hearings: https://time.com/6196451/jan-6-hearing-trump-draft-tweet/

quote:

“I will be making a Big Speech at 10 a.m. on January 6th at the Ellipse (South of the White House),” read the draft tweet, which was preserved by the National Archives. “Please arrive early, massive crowds expected. March to the Capitol after. Stop the steal!”

They brought it up when they were talking about whether the J6 events were spontaneous riots or planned insurrection. If he was saving poo poo like that, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other interesting drafts.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump hosed over the state gop on two separate senate elections; favoring Loeffler over Collins, then pushing Walker on them.

They’re legit loving mad at him.

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1691219740847411201

“As Republicans we need to take our medicine and realize the election wasn’t rigged, Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever, in the history of our party … and now we are going to have to pivot from there.”

God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Going live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWEjSzCpRk

edit: Judge on the bench, waiting for the GJ to come in.