Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sylvain is one of the most fun characters to play in this. Make him a thief and abuse his 'my range goes up as I get more hits' to clear entire rooms and accidentally guard break people you didn't even see behind you.

He is also absurdly good with fist weapons due to his increased range.

Amusingly, lances seem to be the second worst weapons to take advantage of this (the worst being magic, since it doesn't seem to benefit at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sydin posted:

The only thing I haven't figured out is how the hell you're supposed to build up Shez's transformation meter. I've run whole missions where I just play Shez and functionally solo the map and still end up only half-way to getting a transformation.

Look for blue pots on the map. They give about 75% of rhe bar per pot, and every map has at least 1. Some have 2 and one of them even had 4.

Overall it builds super slow though yeah.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mage and Priest function at least but they're not good. I was playing a lot of Mercedes and she functioned well enough to S rank most maps, but going back in with a thief Sylvain or ingrid as a Pegasus you can feel the stark difference in power.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bignatz is real

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I managed to get to 80 achievements. I wanted to try to get to 100 just for the gimmick of getting Anna's battalion in the demo, but it would take like 20 more hours of grinding to manage it, since all I have left are things like 100 perfect guards, 1000 perfect dodges, 1000 generals killed, 30k soldiers killed, billions of ice/lightning/wind procs etc.

Can confirm that no advanced classes show up just because you get a seal.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The marketplace has upgrades to get better weapons sold at it. It does not sell shields. The blacksmith is not available in the demo yet. Likely coming with the next 'chapter'.

It's a demo. We don't know if there's a free play mode or not in the full game.

Not every conversation has an option to gain support points.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I wouldn't be surprised if beating the game unlocked an unlimited free play replay all missions mode, to be honest.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, I like all the ones you didn't mention, and could take or leave the ones you did. Except Sylvain, dude sucks, but he is less creepy to She'z than he was in Three Houses, I'll grant him.

But yeah all houses are a step down from the Black Eagles; it's a tough competition.

Sylvain in Hopes actively talks about how he's trying to be a better person than he was years ago. Watching Felix and Dimitri be thrust into rulership where every decision could drat hundreds or thousands, and how it weighed on them made him reconsider how he wanted to be. And he chose to strive to be able to be a boon to his friends.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Metis of the Hallways posted:

She adopted Shez into her mercenary troop and thus her family, and this is how she is repaid

Long live Shez Berling

I still laugh at the stark contrast between Shez being like 'my friends, no!!! Ashen demon.... how dare you!!!' And rushing to kill Byleth, refusing to give up, nearly dying twice...

And then a few minutes later she's like 'yeah I'm used to people dying, can't win them all, no reason to lose myself to revenge'. When arval notes that she doesn't seem that upset.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man I just cannot figure out archers in this game and that's going to be a problem for my Golden Deer playthrough. Any tips for aiming better?

Get a range+ bow and suddenly all their moves feel a lot better.

Unfortunately I've only found one and it required being on hard mode using appraisal and getting lucky.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I sort of decided to test how much stats matter in this by replaying a map before and after feeding shez enough stat boosts to raise her str by 12.

Before the boost her full combo string of light attacks was doing 235-260.

After it was doing around 250-280.

It's not a very big difference.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Numbers go up is definitely big. I just wanted to test it mostly due to people being mad at 'stat screwed' characters. They're not really that screwed, honest.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So are most of you assigning npcs to go smack around genrrals constantly? If so, that's probably part of why your kill xs are such a struggle. They ignore everything else to kill that general.

If you direct them to run into a stronghold they'll attack that general and it's non general minions and your kill count will go up faster.

If you let them just autobattle attack they'll attack random mooks on the road and also make it go up faster.

Don't always be assigning people to fight bosses.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SgtSteel91 posted:

I didn’t mind the Slithers took center stage in AG. In fact, that’s what I was expecting since like all but one of the Blue Lions were directly affected by Duscur, so I was at least expecting that the masterminds of it would be the final foe of their story

Edit: but hey, I guess for people who wanted political intrigue they have Black Eagles and Golden Deer and for those who wanted a “standard” Fire Emblem story they have Blue Lions

Let's see:

Dimitri: Entire family dead, along with his supposed best friend Glenn.
Dedue: Entire family drad from reprisals.
Felix: Older brother Glenn dead, father overcome with grief.
Ingrid: Glenn dead, destroying the one betrothal she actually didn't mind and her house's hope for alliance.
Sylvain: Actually wasn't personally harmed/not as close to Glenn as the other three. Territory suffered greatly from Dimitri's uncle not supporting vs sreng.

Annette: Father became suicidal and abandoned her out of grief for his failure to protect his friends and king.
Mercedes: No direct tie to duscar tragedy, but jeritza states their terrible father had ties to slitherers so she still has reason to care about them.

Ashe: No direct ties to duscar tragedy, but Hopes confirms the Western Church had long since been taken over by slitherers, and Cristophe's assassination attempt on Rhea was a slitherer plot. Lonato's moves were also pushed by slitherer backing.

Sylvain is probably the person with a life least impacted by slitherer plots. The only one of these that was expanded on by Hopes was Ashe: 3 houses leaves it vague whether the western church was controlled by slitherers or not.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also I just wanna note that I'm really enjoying AG and the blue lions cast with different circumstances. They've always been pretty strong characters, but I like that we see them in pretty drastically different lights.

Sylvain taking his 'unapplied genius' and actually working on military and social reform to try and change the situation on the Gautier border (along with trying to reach out and use diplomacy with Sreng)

Felix having to take actual responsibility and not be able to just run off and practice his sword.

Ingrid confronting the fact that Galatea kinda just sucks, and that she needs to work hard not to be a knight but to be a good ruler who can make her land suck less.

They're all good and easy to see how you get to them rather than their 3 houses characters, by having them placed in situations where their worst traits don't have time to fester. .

Overall I'd say the biggest difference Azure Gleam vs Azure Moon is that Moon is a story of a bunch of characters overcoming character flaws, and Gleam is a story about a bunch of characters overcoming societal struggles.

I'm still not a huge fan of Ashe, though I think saying he's changed the most from 3Houses is... very wrong, I dunno why anyone would say that. He's basically identical to the point where it stands out even more compared to everyone else.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The line where Dimitri says 'Sweeping change isn't what Faerghus needs right now' is followed by him saying 'What we need before we can inflict change is stability. We cannot create a more just society when people still struggle to eat'. Unlike Edelgard and Claude who... mostly don't have that much trouble during the timeskip, Dimitri has been fighting civil war after civil war that only kicks into a more violent war as the empire demands they kowtow or die.

A lot of people say it's obvious that if people are starving and struggling that he should bow to Edelgard since the empire has the richest most abundant food sources on Fodlan. But how often does a conquering empire spend time and resources helping who they conquered?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bernie and Dimitri have an A support. My God I need to see this poo poo.

It's not great, imo. It has the issue a lot of Bernie supports have where it's just entirely comedy with no actual development or stuff being learned.

But I'm also the person who disliked Bernie in 3h because I felt she had too much comedy in her supports, and not enough seriousness, feelings, or deep talk.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm a single chapter from the end of AG and I have like 20 supports I need to get with characters not in other routes. It's kinda annoying.

Meanwhile Shez has maxed out A ranks with literally everyone recruitwble, but Dedue is still not b rank with Ingrid...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pierson posted:

It's tricky to google 'Three Hopes Game Modes' because it just throws up algorithmic garbage sites about the difficulties and classic/casual split. Is there any mode beyond the main story? Anything like the Adventure Mode from Hyrule Warriors or Empire Mode from the older Dynasty titles. I found those grinding/conquering/unlocking modes a ton of fun. Or does the main story have aspects of that already within it?

There's no adventure mode. It's just story missions and the less important between story missions.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Arrrthritis posted:

My guess would be that they're trying to set up a canon that they can build a sequel off of, rather than 3 wildly divergent endings.

I mean the endings still diverge pretty extremely. They just all end on 'and then the war waged on, and fodlan would not know peace'

But in the AG ending: Edelgard has been mind wiped and may have been left for dead. Rhea is alive and well, the church has reformed and is back on top. Claude and the Alliance are allied to the Kingdom.

In the VW ending Rhea and all the Knights are dead, the church disbanded. The Kingdom is reeling from what this means. The Alliance is now the Federation. Official envoys to Almyra are a Thing.

Those are two very different world states, they're just both 'and war keeps going on' endings.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Holst pretty openly admits that the reason he works so hard to be the best and most heroic and strongest is specifically so that Hilda doesn't get pushed to inherit if she doesn't want to.

He tells her he's pretty sure she is gonna be stronger than him by the time she's as old as him.

He talks about how Hilda is why he works so hard.

In his Balthus supports you learn that in his youth he was a lot less into being the good heir, and then that suddenly changed

It seems fairly obvious that once he realized Hilda had no interest in being the heir to house Goneril, he just said 'okay, I now have to be better than my sister and her crest and her talent, because I don't want her to be unhappy by this being forced on her'.

We know that while the Alliance isn't as focused on crests as the Kingdom, but it's still called out that crest bearers tend to inherit vs kids without. It's part of why Margrave Edmund wants Marianne to be better, she is his heir with a crest.

So holst took the path of being the peak human hero who never takes a wrong step as his way of preventing it.

I don't personally like Holst as much as most people because I find "I am the greatest at everything' characters annoying, but his relationship with Hilda and her being his reason he tries so hard is kind of cute.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Holst is like if Caspar was ever successful at anything, instead of being a yapping purse dog with delusions of grandeur.

Though Caspar feels the need to be the strongest explicitly because he isn't inheriting. His older more talented brother is. And he is fine with that.

Holst feels the need to be the best to ensure he is inheriting. Luckily he actually has the talent to be the best, unlike Caspar who is kind of an idiot.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think the most interesting part of AG is just how much it contrasts AM. It's the route most preoccupied with the Slitherers and their manipulations. Like genuinely only something like 4 chapters are not focused on slitherer stuff. Even the Western Lord's and Lonato defecting to the Empire was influenced by them, to inspire more war between kingdom and empire, with Lonato's sudden charge into battle before the empire could support him being very much their manipulations too.

The entire plot is Dimitri slowly rooting out the slitherers and their conspirators and killing his way across his own country and the empire to end them. In the path of doing so, he kills every single slitherer by the end - including it being the only path where we see Thales' corpse as he's reamed through with a relic, as compared to the other routes where its either 'theres no way he survived that explosion' or just not a kill at all.

The entire war with the empire is tangential to this war with those who slither in the dark. Its not the thrust of what he cares about, its not core to his desires, and provides nothing that makes him feel good for continuing. The only reason the war goes on is because he keeps finding more slitherers in the empire, whenever his revenge seems even slightly finished.

Its curious what this means for after the end. He has cleansed basically all the slitherers - Cornelia (Cleobulus), Kronya, Myson, Solon, and Thales are dead on screen. All of their conspirators in the Kingdom are dead. Almost all of their conspirators in the Empire are dead. The only place they might still have a power base is Ordelia territory, since we never see Lysithea on the route. But seeing as they are ending with close ties between claude and Dimitri and claude is at least vaguely aware of the slitherers (based on how he tells Dimitri to end the dark mage threat once and for all) i doubt that will last long.

Its such a sharp contrast to AM where you never even learn the slitherers are a thing (though you still murder every single one of them on that route).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cloacamazing! posted:

They aren't really sure, but Claude says he didn't plan it. Unless he's putting on an act, but that would quickly go towards making him unredeemable.

He does make it clear that his plans priorities were in order:

1. Keeping everyone from the Federation alive.

2. Killing Catherine explicitly.

3. Killing as many knights of Seiros as possible

And then finally at number 4 was 'help our imperial allies'.

But you're right that no one really calls him out on the sacrifice of allies insomuch as they get offended at him thinking they need to be coddled and protected like that. The only two with strong moral objections are Judith and Marianne (and shez if you choose the option). Everyone else is mkre just mad that he doesn't trust them enough to use them more fully.

Personally, I would have preferred if it was intentional. It makes sense tactically even if unsound morally. Randolph and his army is part of a foreign force that as recently as a few months ago was actively invading and trying to destroy their nation. They're allies for now, but even during the meeting Claude makes it clear that it's probably only gonna be an alliance until their mutual goal of no more church is done, (or that he doesn't trust it to exist past that at least). Using the chance to cripple the part of their army that is primed to invade right after a success against the church? It would fit his brilliant schemer shtick.

Instead it's entirely voiced as 'I am concerned for my friends and want to keep them safe, and those I don't know personally are lower priority.' There's no genius tactical decision or 'perfectly rational' weighing of cost benefit, it was just him wanting to protect his people. Which is a lot more morally boring to me.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 23, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Honestly by the end of 3 hopes all the troublesome abusive nobles who opposed Dimitris dads Sweeping changes were revealed as having ties to slitherers and thoroughly purged. And with the exception of Lonato's house, which was gonna pass to Ashe who he knows is loyal, he openly states those traitor houses will be dismantled and their lands claimed by the crown (at least for now, with some implication thst he might offer some to mercedes for her contributions, or other loyal non land having people).

He could totally do wider Sweeping changes post war.

Especially if they end up keeping any of the Empire land. Ingrid has a single camp convo where she's like 'this land makes even the most fertile of Faerghus looks barren... if we could... no, I shouldn't be envious and say something like that',, since his secondary concern was 'how do I do reforms when I can't ensure my people are even fed'.

Of course, all the endings are very non-final and we have nothing but guesses of what could come next.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

I don’t think there’s anything in the game to suggest Dimitri would ever move past “gee golly wilikers I don’t want to upset the conservative factions” without a position of immense strength. In fact, quite the opposite.

I mean, there's the fact that he's actively working with Sylvain to try to revamp the military to be less reliant on crests (which, tbf, is Sylvain's idea).

Also the fact that he is putting his full authority as king behind House Gautier's new approach of trying to ally with Sreng (also Sylvain's idea, kid has good ideas)

Yuri inspires him to start public education reforms, and he ends their support putting together a system of universal basic income for children, so they can afford to go to school and not help on farms/in shops/etc. Though yeah, he says this will have to be delayed until the war stops draining their coffers.

He's literally removed the conservative faction against him from power, and openly decides to end their houses and change where their lands will go (for now to the crown, later to those loyal to him who helped in the war, implied to be Mercedes as one of them.)

He's already by the 2 year mark reformed the idea of knighthood and nobility so that commoners with talent have upward movement into his knights, including ones that (according to Ashe) never fight, but instead act as stewards and teachers and etc, with the title of 'knight' just being his way to justify the fact that a majority of his advisors are common born.

The Petra/Dedue support (and other Dedue supports) reveal that he already has the plan in motion in a way it can't be stopped, to make Duscar an independent nation.

In his Mercedes support he notes that much of what the church does to garner such love in the Kingdom (orphanages, homeless shelters, offering training for those displaced by war or famine) are things that the Kingdom should be providing instead. This comes along with him calling out in his other supports that the Church is a poisoned chalice, that he has to sip from in moderation, and hopefully one day he will be able to remove some of their power over Faerghus. Which is again, just him saying 'i'm gonna slowly change things', so less drastic than some of the above.

The above is part of why he wants Garreg Mach retaken so bad in AG: he wants the church out of his territory, because they're gaining even more influence over his nation, and he doesn't trust that. He wants them to pack up and go home, not have the Archbishop wandering the capital streets healing the poor and making speeches about what she wants changed.

I don't think there's anything in the game to suggest he wont make changes. It's just that most of them come from other people providing him good ideas and him going 'this is a great idea, you will be my advisor on this matter going forward, we will go towards the future together.' As opposed to Claude and Edelgard who have their own very distinct visions of everything that needs to change, and are putting in the blood to make that change this instant.

Dimitri is not an ideas guy.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 24, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel like it's implied somewhere that Agartheans were native to Fódlan while humans migrated there from the other continents? I don't remember where I got that idea, but I always figured it went something like

1) Agartheans are the only people in Fódlan. Sometimes someone wanders in from Almyra or the ocean and is promptly removed.
2) Sothis rolls in on her spaceship, sees a continent that looks kind of like her face, and decides to settle down there with her kids.
3) The Agartheans are driven underground, and the next people who roll in are instead met with Nabateans, who decide to take them in as pets.

I hadn't figured interbreeding was part of it, given that all the crests we know of came from drinking blood, but then again, in Three Houses, Linhardt and Flayn manage to produce a litter of sleepy phenoms if you let them, so it's certainly possible.

E:

On the route split: only Scarlet Blaze has any notable divergence. The other "bad" routes play out exactly the same, only differing in the cutscene where Byleth kills Randolph/Judith/Rodrigue, a handful of different camp lines and a few altered lines cutscenes that don't even qualify for their own slot in the event viewer. All you're missing if you just mess up the recruitment and get the unique FMV is the Byleth cutscenes with the same dialogue but sometimes with different backgrounds. Yes, I checked. :argh:

My personal theory is that Agarthans had a colonial empire, since in Houses Petra talks about green haired myth heroes from Brigid's religion, who helped them throw off an unnamed group of oppressors back before Brigid was Brigid. This only comes up in a single dialogue right after byleth turns green.

It's also mentioned in Houses thst other nations also have myths about green haired heroes who showed up out of nowhere, did crazy poo poo, then disappeared.

So at the very least Sothis and her kids expanded far beyond Fodlan, whether that was to wipe out Agarthans as I think, because some wanted their own place to live, or to further gently caress with humanity worldwide.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shinji117 posted:

Hopes gives us a good look at a Sothis who seems to have more of her memories, and it sure doesn’t make her come across as a peaceful being who was only ever benevolent and did nothing wrong and would definitely never do a colonialism. Rather the opposite- Hopes Sothis seems a lot more inline with Rhea and her disregard for the autonomy of others. The idea of Houses Sothis being a colonial tyrant felt off with her snarky mind gremlin persona, but Hopes Sothis comes across as a malicious, manipulative tyrant who leaps at the chance to guilt-trip Byleth into identity death so she can wear their body like a suit.

I'm not sure if we are dealing with a Sothis with more of her memories, so much as a Sothis who spent 2 years post awakening in the headspace of a murder gremlin who has gone from battlefield to battlefield? I've only completed two routes, one good route one bad route, and bad route Sothis isn't a good person, but she doesn't seem ultra aware of everything, never references Rhea or the other Nabateans, or her past. She still seems to be confused about why she hates Shez/Arval so much - she just knows their energy drives her to want to murder the gently caress out of them.

You could read this as 'the real sothis', or you could read it as Sothis being a lot softer when she wakes up with amnesia and helps some idiot teach school children, rather than literally fights daily battles to the death and is involved in the killing of thousands.

Anyways, the dev interview talk on the war of liberation was just that the nabateans who openly ruled at the time were attacked, that nemesis had followers in the populace, and that it was too big of an event to memory hole. But they also note that about half of Fodlan still sided with the nabateans. If they were all explicitly cruel horrible monster rulers you'd think the numbers would be more schewed.

My personal theory is that, much like how we meet the 'nice' ones in Seteth and Flayn and Indech, it was mostly the rear end in a top hat ones who got rose up against quickly and thoroughly, where as the kinder/more even handed dragons were protected/able to fight back alongside their mortal followers.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shinji117 posted:

In Bad Route AG Sothis refers to Relics by what I have to assume was the titles of the Nabateans who died making them; Areadbhar is the Vigorous and the Aegis Shield is the Steadfast. (not really a spoiler but eh)

Neat, I got the bad route for GW and... she doesn't do anything to really hint that she knows much more than usual.

quote:

Also, half of Fodlan didn’t side with Nabateans; Rhea and co dyed their hair (we knew Rhea did since FEH’s art made it super clear, and the Arval paralogue showed Flayn and Seteth also did) and presented themselves as Saints for a reason. Rhea’s nature is something that gets secretly passed down via Wilhelm, not common knowledge.

We literally see the army fighting with dragons (Indech and Macuil) at their side during the opening cutscene. The same cutscene where we literally see Seiros turn into a dragon on the battlefield and wreck some of the Nemesis army's poo poo. And yes, it's blonde Seiros. The Nabatean side did have support of half of Fodlan - this is why it became such a huge war that almost destroyed the continent, and was completely impossible to write out of history even with her control, thus her altering the official story of it instead.

Yeah, she's kept that she's a dragon secret ever since then, but it wasn't a secret at the time that their side of the army was fighting on the 'we like dragons' side, versus the 'we hate dragons' side represented by Nemesis and the Elites.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

jimmydalad posted:

So I’ve gotten some supports for Hilda.

Was she always this gay?

Not that I’m complaining.

The supports in Hopes are in general far more gay than 3 Houses ever let them be.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hunt11 posted:

It felt very hosed up that Dimitri's first response wasn't to try and figure why Lonato had such beef with the church but to instead just call for his head.

To be fair, Lonato's rebellion comes in the middle of a half dozen slitherer/Cornelia pushed rebellions, and is also stated very openly to be a slitherer pushed rebellion as well. It sucks because we know Lonato personally, but this game literallt confirmed that the Western Church leadership had long since been supplanted and replaced by slitherers, since before Christophe's rebellion.

I will say that its not a terribly well written piece of conflict though. It's implied that Cornelia convinced Lonato to move without imperial support (in SB, not AG) which caused his early rebellion which throws the imperial war out of balance and causes the Kingdom to be able to take victory after victory, rather than an easy win. But even if you bring Ashe there's no real touching dialogue between them, Lonato just says 'stand down Ashe, I've come too far to be stopped now!' With no attempt at explaining himself.

That whole plotline would make more sense if the Slitherers had just body swapped Lonato, rather than him suddenly being like 'you know what I should do days before the massive imperial army shows up for my secret allegiance swap? I should announce that I side with the empire, and ride off in a suicide charge to go try and kill the Archbishop myself'

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

Yeah, it's good. It does lead to some weird moments if you use them in Azure Gleam - Ashe is understandably like "aw nerts I sided with the people who killed Ingrid and betrayed my homeland I can never go back to being a knight or back to Faerghus" so his reason for sticking around in SB is kind of apparent.

Petra, Bernie and Dorothea all feel very forced when facing Edelgard, though. Petra's like. I won't betray my army a SECOND time Edelgard and I'm like. Why not? Dorothea is like "I really do not want to do this at all" and Edelgard's response is she will defeat her and take her back to Adrestia herself and it's like. That is what Dorothea wants. why is dorothea still fighting.

Bernie says that she refuses to return home, that she'd rather fight her friends than be near her father.

Petra says she's found a new path for Brigid, out from under the Empire.

Dorothea is the only one who acts like she is 100% willing to go home and doesn't wanna fight.

Edit: honestly, discussing Bernie for a second, it's still really funny to me how stupidly spiteful the whole count Varley thing is. Edelgard chooses a dumb ironic punishment for him over just disappearing him like Hubert indicates he is readily able to do. And all this does is cause minor problems in the pursuit of her goals, all so she can torment the guy a little.

Everyone would be happier if he was just dead.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 28, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

Kind of? At this point, Edelgard had already promised Brigid autonomy. Petra is a smart woman. She's throwing her lot in with the people who slapped seven shades of poo poo out of her and told her to fight for them if she didn't want to die versus the person who has already, unconditionally, promised that Brigid will be free regardless of her support in the present conflict. I don't think anyone would really begrudge her for going "Yes, I was not siding with my captors again, especially captors who have a 'fun' history with nearby native populations"

Edelgard literally has a scene in response to Petra's betrayal where she says 'Hubert, we will have to reconsider our treatment of Brigid' with dark music swell behind it, like she's gonna go subjugate Brigid for its queen daring not to side with her.

The way Petra discusses the empire on both non SB routes makes it clear Brigid is not already free, since her camp convos (and certain supports like dedue) talk about how edelgard and the empire still hold Brigid down and she fights to free them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

I just find the rhetoric of "Edelgard is a ruthless pragmatist that will turn The Boot on her neighbors in the sake of winning" to be a very silly statement in the Fire Emblem Three Hopes game when the fist action she takes is to throw her powerful allies in the loving dumpster to save one gay girl.

She literally tells Monica she only saved her because she calculated that having the Ochs family on her side would ultimately help her plan, and that she was more than willing to leave Monica to die a terrible death if the math had fallen the other way.

And this is in the route where she is the protagonist, so it's not a sake of 'wow they sure make the antagonist seem evil'

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

On AG hapi continually just has camp conversations about whether Cornelia is who experimented on her or not, and how she doesn't wanna meet her. Then you kill Cornelia and she is like 'wow, that was definitely the person who made me like this, glad she's dead'

This is the only time any of them are even slightly tied into the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The lions is full of gay men who are super gay.

The eagles are full of gay women who are super gay.

The deer are all bisexuals. All of them.