Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

This is the first musou game I've ever played, and I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm playing on normal, and I just got through the academy phase with GD. At least for the first couple of missions, it seemed super easy to get S rank just by mashing Y and X through the maps.

I did figure out that B dodges, and I think there's a way to block, but I have no idea what it is...

It took me multiple maps to realize that there's a button combo for combat arts too. And I have no idea what weapon levels, different classes, and different weapons are supposed to be doing for me.

But I'm really enjoying mashing dudes to death with axe-wielding Hilda, and she has the Friekugel now, so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm still not that far in, but so far, the mage moveset feels really clunky to me. I ended up switching Lysithea to sword classes because they're just more fun to use.

I managed to recruit Lynhart, so I dunno...maybe war master?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Is there any point to mastering lots of classes on different paths? I still haven't figured out what exactly I'm getting from mastering classes, but I have some intermediate seals, and I have characters who have finished mastering intermediate classes.

Also, now that I have the blacksmith and can upgrade weapon durability, I'm wondering what that even is...

I haven't had a weapon break on me mid-battle, and I'm not surprised since you only get one per character, so if weapons don't break, what is durability even for?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zore posted:

Durability is used for your spells/weapon art attacks.

And yeah you get other skills and weapon arts/spells for mastering other classes. But most of it is fluff until you're really trying to minmax a character, you're perfectly fine just taking people down a single line you like.

Is that why I sometimes can't do a combat art or spell in the middle of a mission? Is it something like, the more durability your weapon has, the more times you can use the combat art in a single map? I assume there must be something on the screen that shows me that I've used up the durability for that map, right?

Maybe I should do a practice battle at the training grounds and actually look at all of the UI. I feel like I still don't get how half of the mechanics work. I just found out there are skills you can equip, and I haven't been equipping them up until now.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Wow, thanks to everyone for the explanations and screenshots!

There is a lot I have not been noticing in the heat of battle so far. I didn't even realize that you could choose vulnaries from the R-button menu, I've been going to the map every time I want to heal someone, even when I'm controlling them. And I didn't even know about that ability you can activate with ZR.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I made Lysithea a thief because I found the magic classes to be slow and hard to hit with, but now I have the opposite problem. All of the thief attacks seem to send you whizzing around the map, and sometimes she just goes flying right through an enemy that I want her to combo on.

I also just finished the map where you get Holst, and holy crap that was an introduction. He shows up, I mash some buttons, and he almost immediately takes out 2 of the 3 enemies I had to take down for one of the objectives!

I'm looking forward to trying Balthus too. He was such a fun character to use in 3 Houses, so I'm curious to see if they've captured that Hulk-rage mechanic in this game too.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Are adjutants good? I just realized I don't think I've used that mechanic even once yet.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Eimi posted:

More evidence of Hapi's superiority.

I haven't gotten Hapi yet (I don't even know if she's available for GD). I take it she still has her effective damage to monsters skill?

Hapi rules

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Judge Tesla posted:

I enjoyed Edelgard, Lysithia and Hapi's paralogue being based entirely around the fact that all of them were experimented on by the Slitherers and bonding over it.

Ooh, that's a nice connection. Hopefully this game makes up for how few supports the Ashen Wolves had in 3 Houses (I'm still pretty early in and have only recruited Balthus so far). There were some ones that seemed like they had a lot of potential, but that weren't there (probably because of time constraints, I'd assume).

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Are there a lot of supports that you can miss the opportunity to get? I was surprised when I got Claude and Holst to C, because apparently I already "missed the chance to deepen their bond". It's a little disappointing since I'm guessing these two are exclusive to this route.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Epi Lepi posted:

How early are you? I’ve seen lots of chatter of missing supports but no one ever says what chapter they are on when they realize they’re locked out.

I’m chapter 9 of AG and I haven’t had that problem yet but I micromanage my training and chores to focus on building supports. Everyone is at least C with all the route specific supports and many are almost through B.

I forget the actual chapter number, but I'm up to the part where we have to repel the Almyran invasion after we started invading, and then pulled back from Empire territory

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

For people who have finished at least one playthrough, is it worth it to try playing through each route on a New file to "get the full experience" (whatever that might be) or should I just go for new game + on my subsequent runs?

I only just got to part 2 of GD, so I've still got a ways to go...

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just got Hapi and Constance in my GD run. They show up pretty late, but I'm excited to see that they have supports with some other characters that they didn't in 3 Houses!

I tried them out in a mock battle, and I already like their special abilities. They're maybe not as broken as some others, but they're easy to understand and visually easy to see when they can be activated.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Chiming in that I also like that Jeralt gets more of a chance to shine in this game. He just got used as a plot device in 3 Houses, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with him in this game, especially since I'm playing GD and have Leonie.

I also thought it was really cool how Byleth came off. The early maps with them, they were SCARY. They were all glowing and blank faced and insanely powerful, and the scenes with Sothis made her seem a lot more sinister too.

Now that I've recruited Byleth and Jeralt, Byleth seems so...sad and lonely? In 3 Houses, her empty vessel thing didn't have as much resonance to me since she felt like a stand in for me, the player. (Though I think Edelgard's route did the best job of making something of that.) But seeing her from the outside, I feel bad for her for being a human experiment.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

jimmydalad posted:

So I decided to put Marianne in Holy Knight because she gets her innate ability from there and she also has her passive ability that benefits from being mounted. Holy poo poo. Slap an Arrow of Indra on her and she literally tears through battlefields as ice orbs fall around her and freeze anyone foolish enough to challenge her. She can heal, use Fimbulvetr (if you train her in Mage path) and the amount of hits you get from lances means triggering her Snowslip is incredibly easy.

Golden Deer kids are pretty nuts.

I love her ability because it's so easy to use and so effective. I ended up giving her the merc's whistle because I can't be bothered with abilities that require thinking.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok thanks. I don't really care for stat boosting items so I guess I'll just hoard it all.

Where do you even spend renown? I know I've been getting it, but I don't think I've actually spent any yet. Or is that what I'm using when I talk to the awards master?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I finished the Golden Deer route and start a new game+ for Black Eagles and...it's insanely easy with these late game weapons available from the beginning. Event my level 3 units who I didn't have in the last playthrough can slice through bosses if they just have a good weapon equipped.

Does maddening make up for this lack of difficulty? I'm on hard now. Or should I start over with a new game? I'm not looking for anything super challenging, but I feel like I barely have to play the game now to clear maps.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you're just looking to find the old balance, you have the option of not using late-game weapons from the other routes. I just shelved characters I had on previous runs and ran with new characters, pulling out Shez or an Ashen Wolf if I just wanted to cheese a map. You can also delete levels at the training grounds if you want to!

An actual new game also means losing all supports and having to do camp upgrades all over. I'd rather just make a bunch of smaller changes to select my difficulty than deal with that.

Yeah, that's a good point about the weapons. The overpowered weapons are a big part of how easy it is. I finally get why so many people were saying that strength and magic stats don't matter in this game. The gap between powered-up weapons and base weapons is huge.

That alone might help hit the sweet spot.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

midnight lasagna posted:

I'm suffering from massive information overload so I might just pick one character and play as them exclusively while I figure out what anything does. It kind of reminds me of playing Sacred Stones for the first time and being very confused by everything.

This game is my first musou, so I also found it confusing to figure out what all the moves are at first.

I found it helped me a lot to do whatever I could on the map since I could stop the action for a moment. Like, you can assign adjutants, or switch characters without going to the map, but doing it mid-battle means remembering more button combos, so I just always go to the map to do those things.

Also, if you're like me and suck at navigating through the stages, just constantly assign characters to go where you want, and then switch to them when they get there. I almost never actually move through the stages myself, I just take care of battles and let the computer move units for me.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

If I had to assign adjutants mid-battle, I'd probably never do it, because yeah, who has time to remember button combinations?

You can do it on the map if you choose a character with A, move to another character, and then press ZR to get the menu options.

I mostly only use adjutants on the end of chapter maps when there are 8 units, or on the random battles where you just fight against two monsters. It feels like most of the rest of the time, you're better off having everyone separate so they can cover more ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I playing through the Lions route now too while waiting for Engage. I also just got through Part 1.

I decided to give my merc whistle to Lorenz this time. Not because I'm a huge Lorenz fan, but just because his unique ability makes the lovely "lol-you-can't-dodge" maps more bearable. (It will probably also help me with the really hard paralogue that I unlocked since this is my third playthrough.)

But I think I'm enjoying the Blue Lions story and characters less than in 3 Houses, and it was my least favorite house there too. It feels like they turned up Felix's rear end in a top hat growth rate to 90%, and someone gave Sylvain a lobotomy while we weren't looking. He's...like weird, creepy nice. I might not think that about him if I'd never played 3 Houses, but something feels off about him in Hopes.

So basically I think I'm going to just field Hapi in every map for the rest of the game and clear it with her while mastering every class with her.

Fire Emblem: Three Hapis