Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cyrano4747 posted:

Out of curiosity (not reinstalling) what's the patch do?

"Next week, on January 17, we’ll be putting our biggest Starfield update yet into Steam Beta with over 100 fixes and improvements, with a planned release date for all players two weeks later.
This update contains a multitude of fixes to Quests. Eye of the Storm issues such as being unable to dock with the Legacy or data transfer not starting, and Temples not showing up in Into the Unknown, will no longer prevent Constellation from exploring the cosmos.
Additionally, this update brings stability improvements and numerous graphic improvements ranging from additional widescreen support to improved textures, lighting, and shadows.
Other fixes and improvements include sun disk geometry, planet ring shadows, bulldozed objects reappearing when returning to an Outpost, ship hatches marked inaccessible, and another fix for asteroids following ships. The full update notes will be posted next week when the Steam Beta is released!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

space uncle posted:

Nothing will top the quest line where you can assuage your girlfriend’s guilty conscience by helping her find her dead friends on a dinosaur planet. Then leaving a 10 year old girl in a tree house above the corpses of her dead parents and a bunch of dinosaurs trying to kill her. Because she tells you she got robbed by pirates and therefore knows how to handle herself. Your girlfriend then immediately takes you to a scenic dam and hits on you.

Speaking of, how old is Sarah supposed to be?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

dr_rat posted:

If they do have the the DLC focus on the snake people, they should make it clear that 100% the crazy snake cult people are right and there is a space snake god.
Could then have one of their members jump and see a different animal god and have a schism in the church. War between competing space god factions might at least make things a bit more interesting.

at the very least a bit more space mysticism couldn't hurt at this stage.
I’d love that.

Or just have them constantly talking about their god, which obviously doesn’t exist. Only for it to make a surprise appearance during the climax. A loving thing the size of planets, ethers, maybe looking a bit like the cat from Gravity Rush, just tearing through a system, wreaking the big evil weapon someone created.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Punished Ape posted:

Using a silenced Beowulf you then sneak attack the snake, killing it in three hits while it slithers around trying to become unstuck from a piece of level geometry. That is unless it clips through the map, becomes passive and becomes unkillable.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

You’re wandering around killing people and taking all their stuff. That’s their job and they won’t tolerate nonunion scabs.

You kid, but I just had the vision of a long quest kicking off the first time you steal something. Like a Thieves Guild version of the Dark Brotherhood. Dudes comes after you, having notes about orders and locations. As you discover more and more, you realize that this Thieves Guild is proud, powerful and most of all, don’t take kindly to strangers doing what they’re doing.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld has this, actually, and it covers everything from street thugs and burglars to big business scams and industrial espionage. Anyone who wants to do A Thievery has to be a card-carrying, dues-paying member (or hire one) or pay a massive fine (often a call to the Assassin's Guild) when they get found out.

Everyone ironically likes the system because a "mugging" involves a guy showing you his Guild card, you exchange a fixed percentage of what you have, and you both go about your day. The Guild keeps the overall rate of theft low (bad for business if it gets too high) to maximize profit and enforcement is very vigorous and thorough.

I was thinking about this, actually. It could even be a slightly silly quest.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Patch details: https://beth.games/47AF8W1

Not a lot of interesting stuff here, but I suppose “redo the entire game” was a bit optimistic of me…

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

This game has a lot of flaws and things it could/should have done better. That being said, it still grabbed me and I have over 200 hours played. Currently on my 6th NG+ and I'm finding new POIs and ways to roleplay. For instance, on this NG+ I was excited to find the Hunter had already killed everyone in Constellation including myself which was the perfect opportunity to play as a baddie, which I never do in Bethesda games.

I did some crimes right off the bat to get arrested and went right into the Crimson Fleet questline. Now I just fly around killing and spacejacking people with no ties to anyone or responsibilities. It's made me understand and sympathize with the Hunter more than I had previously. I'm treating everyone and everything as a cynical means to an end, just like he taught me. And I ran into the Starseed quest and Vulture's Roost which were both new to me after 200+ hours.

There's a lot of meat on this bone despite the issues and all the negativity.

What sort of new POIs did you see? Because I got real tired of the identikit Abandoned Robotics Facilities, all with the same person having been crushed under a catwalk.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

With the modular engine they developed for ships/outposts, I find it criminal that POIs don't tap into it, and instead you get the exact same copy/paste "bad guys building POI" down to the same dead bodies in the same poses. Sure, Daggerfall's dungeons went over the top with the mazes, but that's fixable. And well, the game could also have done with Daggerfall style cities, even if 99% had been plot-pointless personal housing. If there ever was a game making a case for this, Starfield should have been it.

I fully accept that I'm the minority on this, but drat, I miss Daggerfall's ambition and feeling of scale. I hope someone goes back to wild full blown proc gen at some point. Right now, I feel like Dwarf Fortress is the last torchbearer for it, and that's in a different genre altogether.

I think the copy-pasted POIs is my biggest issue with Starfield. There’s no desire in exploring. If they had a random system of parts being cobbled together on the fly, with interesting loot tables and whatnot, I might have stuck around, but I hard bounced immediately upon the second visit to an Abandoned Robotics Facility with the same scientist smeared by a fallen catwalk.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of stealing ships, I wonder if anyone knows this:
There’s these bases built around a large circular landing bay, and when you get into it, a ship will land. I tried repeatedly sneaking all the way into the bottom and see if I could highjack the ship, but the inner hatch will always be closed. Is this just a set piece of can you actually high jack these descending ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I saw that in one universe Sarah is a potted plant at the Constellation HQ, and honestly it annoyed me more than amused me. Even if someone was a plant in another universe, why would she have been uprooted and placed at constellation? It just seems... ugh.