Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
They're echoing my sentiments pretty well, albeit with more f-words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Epi Lepi posted:

I love the passion from forums poster TheNamedSavior and I hope he keeps letting 20 pages at a time go by before rapid fire responding to individual posts.

This is my hope as well.

Starfield probably good. But I'm that person who spent 119€ on a year of Fallout 1st.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Sekenr posted:

IMO its stupid. We somehow managed to interstellar travel but loving energonium firing double barrel shotgun you have to bend open and breech load 2 tachyon shells at a time because we just can't figure out any other way.

It's a super reliable action. Also, as pointed out, they are in use today even after a hundred years of semiautomatic and pump-action shotguns.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I dare Bethesda to create an NPC to rival Preston Garvey. He was incredible.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's a Bethesda game. The story is hardly the main point.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I guess I don't know what I want them to do. I can't help but note that it looks like one of the most safe and uninspired games ever made. I feel like I already know exactly what happens and that I've played it before.

I know exactly what you mean, which is one of the main selling points to me. I like their recipe and some tweaks here and there (Skyrim's leveling vs. Oblivion's, changes from FO3 to FO4) are enough.

Bethesda does not need to be innovative or original. There are others to fill that role.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

External Organs posted:

I hope one of the romance options is the ship itself.

Only if its personality can be transferred into a sexbot.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I've read about Todd being a monster of some repute, but looking at how little gamers/nerds need to get riled up (gender, skin colour, removal of swastikas) and claim this or that is ruined, I don't really care.

Though I haven't really paid much attention to what the man has said over the years. I like the games he directs.

Has Bethesda been accused of crunch or Activision-like behaviour? I've not come across any, which might just as well be my own fault.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

I said come in! posted:

Bestheda claims that Starfield has 30% more handcrafted content compared to their next largest game, Fallout 4. So outside of that content, the world of Starfield is likely to be pretty boring and fixed with randomly generated missions.

Much of Fallout 4's map was a desolate wilderness, so maybe it'll work out.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I've been spending a lot of time with Sim Settlements 2 lately, it's intetesting how well they've applied FO4's engine. It's prone to scripts breaking, but building up the HQ (which requires a network of developed settlements) works nicely. Got a whole lot of VA too. Mayne too much.

Anywho, hoping that someone at Bethesda has been taking notes.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Official tools for FO4 releasen in April 2016, but people were modding the poo poo out of the game in zero days.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's cool to get to be a game designer when someone else has done the dirty work and you get to tweak the numbers.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
If the hyperactive turbostrafing enemies have been mildly reined in, I'll be happy.

Otherwise I expect it to feel like a Bethesda game. I can't see them deviating from the formula.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Maybe they'll do a crossover and put Fisto in. If not Bethesda, then modders.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Impermanent posted:

30 minutes after launch the modding community will add boobs to every alien species and spaceship don't worry

Not to mention an entire fleet of penis ships.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Those are worth any asking price.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Seems legit.

Comments agree with me.

I'll probably have to resub to GPU for Starfield, though the five-day headstart feels uncomfortably tempting.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm guessing airlocks don't work in space.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

OctaMurk posted:

and when he says, "Modders shoild be allowed to make money off their work", he means "I should be allowed to make money off of Modders' work"

You could argue that Bethesda provides the platform for modders to make money, a little bit like App Store etc.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

I hope there's a planet where the game makes me feel a semblance of joy like I felt when I was a kid playing games instead of the void of numb tired bitterness that fills me these days

You'll need to buy an Idris for that.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm just waiting to get to open the console and finding out if DragonRend actor value is still present.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
If they manage to capture some sense of discovery, I'm happy. Gameplay-wise, I'd imagine it's close to Fallout 4, turbostrafing enemies and all.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I got it on Steam, I'll sink a billion hours into it anyway. Unless it's crap, but living on the edge, man.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

I have never played a forgettable single-player Bethesda since Morrowind. They have all been 10/10 GOTY's for me personally.

Same. They are lovely.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Combat Pretzel posted:

AFAIK this was already known. Some hopefuls still held out for a different outcome.

There were a bunch of prospective modders that were fairly sure of themselves, that they'd get it in within a few days, despite knowing gently caress all about the engine. Just because it's derived from an earlier version of the Creation Engine, doesn't mean that the render pipeline can still be messed with nilly willy (as appeared to be the case in CE v1?).

There's a mod for FO4 that adds DLSS support, but when I tried it, it scaled everything including UI, and I think some buttons were placed off due to lower internal resolution.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
CP2077 uses RED engine, but seemed ok. Less spoons on tables though.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be fair CP2077 was pretty infamously not okay for a good long time.

Yeah, I really played it only this summer, so I didn't see anything funky.

Nice atmosphere.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yes, but they rely on an unsupported API.
The "new" API has much fewer buttons and a lot fewer axis - which is part of why I worry about the lack of HOTAS/HOSAS support.

The other part of the worry is that I've only ever seen the developers play it on a console controller.

It seems unlikely that Bethesda has had HOTAS in mind when designing Starfield, but one never knows.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm not sure debating flight model realism/verisimilitude has much to do with Starfield. Bethesda's simulationism traditionally begins and ends with the physics engine...

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm really looking forward to playing what my brain tells me is a Fallout 4 overhaul mod.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm preloading it on Steam, and also thought it was Thursday.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Cardboard Fox posted:

Just remembered there's another spaceship game with "Star" in the title still in development. I wonder if they know, oh god that would be so embarrassing...

"Development" might be stretching the definition here.

They're sacking QA people so they must be nearly finished.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The_White_Crane posted:

Okay, question: I bought a Steam key from Fanatical for the Premium Edition.

It says "Starfield Premium Edition" on their website where the key is listed, and when I activated it on Steam the pop-up said "Starfield: Digital Premium Edition" but the game shows in my library as just "Starfield" and lists the unlock date as September 6th.

Can anyone else who bought the preem version tell me if that's how it looks for them as well?

Says the same here, but when I add the premium edition to my shopping cart, it tells me I own it.

They're not listing the EA date as release date, no matter the edition.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I feel I am a better human being than standard editioneers. Women will desire me and my boss will sleep with me.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Prawned posted:

I hope the download/unlock servers crash and nobody can play it for eight hours.

So do I, I'm planning to be sick on Friday and playing while sick is unpleasant.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

The_White_Crane posted:

Uh, gonna assume you're lying there, Steam!

Valve doesn't have the resources to make Steam client differentiate between an unreleased gama available for preload and a released one.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

DaveKap posted:

Reading Steam forum thread titles for popular games (in this case, Starfield) and just refreshing every minute is like a nuevo form of people-watching at a mall.

I'm going to go and touch the poop.

Trip report: it was distinctly unpleasant.

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I really like how you can fast travel anywhere. Respecting my time.

What I don't like as much are the 3-5 POIs spawning wherever I land. Makes it seem perhaps a tad too themeparkey, could've added probes and scanning!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I've been hacking away at this for a while and indeed, the Constellation thing starts way too early. Getting a ship immediately is fine, but the Big Plot could've been left to be available a little later, until the player has hosed around a bit.

Anyway, game is pleasantly BGS. I really like the procgen landscapes I've come across, so far. Could've been a little less generous with the 5+ POIs around every landing site, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Khanstant posted:

Game also needs a radio and some music for when they ask you to run 1200 m to some location.

Yeah, they plonk a Skyrim-sized procgen map with a bunch of POIs wherever you land (I do like the procgen algorithm a lot, though), but then make the running around a little bit too much of a chore (although after a planet is surveyed, there isn't much point in landing there beyond doing some resource harvesting). Maybe they could've leaned a little less on the open world part of BGS design philosophy.