Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Al! posted:

lmao i failed a sneaking mission because a fuckin alien grub saw me

There's a mission where some (but not all) of the unavoidable floor sweeper robots see you and set off an alert. If you kill them the quest giver yells at you about all the carnage you caused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Section Z posted:

"There, I finally have a satisfying early game build for the starting ship. I used the narrow connection hallways to brute force where the access to Workshop and Lab happen... where the gently caress is my bed?"

I keep forgetting that the all in one habitats can have essential items like the research table (still got one in the lab) and the BED eaten by doors :doh: And I think all in one B doesn't have a shower or working kitchen? I actually like the nova stuff so hopefully it stops pranking me with me with "No you can't have a shower, kitchen, AND bed! Pick two out of three!" results.

A revamp or mod for the spaceship building is one of the biggest things I'm hoping for. It's really hard to remember each module's individual layout or look without being able to preview it or do a walkthrough before purchasing it. A lot of the larger premade ships are oddly mazelike, too.

isndl posted:

I haven't had a single stealth mission ruined by the little sanitation robots, not even the Slayton Aerospace mission where there's a long hallway with one trundling along next to you. :shrug:

It was the Crimson Fleet mission where you steal the macguffin (so maybe the same one, I'm bad with names). There was this circular walkway patrolled by 4 of the sanitation robots, anytime one came near me as I crouched in the cartoonishly giant air duct my stealth meter would fill orange, and if I let it see me it alerted everyone else. So I plinked them with a silenced pistol and continued on. Others only filled my gauge green, so idk what the issue was.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Those functional/magshot guns plus a mining space suit make it seem like you could get a baller Isaac Clarke cosplay going.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I'm a little surprised that outside of the UC questline you really don't see more terrormorphs. I know their deal and resolution, but I thought they were being setup as a deathclaw analogue that you'd still see sometimes. Maybe toss one into that I Can't Believe It's Not Procgen! abandoned research facility generator.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

AndrewP posted:

This Ryujin quest line just got real stupid. “Sneak into the building to secretly plant a device on the COO’s computer even if you have to incapacitate half of our security guards” I understand it’s probably just an excuse for a stealth mission but it doesn’t make sense and the stealth ain’t good enough and there’s no loving map so I’m flying blind

Stealth is extremely jank, I had 2-3 points in it but it's still way too easy to alert people even then. In that particular mission I said 'gently caress it' at a certain point and just ran past enemies. In true Bethesda fashion there are no real consequences.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
The NPC schedule thing is probably them just not wanting to spend time messing with day/night cycles too much across however many worlds would be impacted. That's why New Atlantis has all the shops open and is just as busy at 12 AM local vs. 12 PM local.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

sushibandit posted:

Each different capital city has different manuafacturers located there, which makes different modules available when building a ship on that planet. As another layer of "gently caress you" to the player, there are some modules which are specifically only available while building a ship AT that manufacturer's facility itself, not just on the planet.

The best thing to do is build yourself an outpost literally anywhere and add a landing pad with console. This will give you access to "almost" every module from every manufacterer when you are building your ships. Then you can look up or try to remember where the one very specific mfg-unique item it and go there and slap it on your ship.

It's honestly a terrible design decision. It would be perfectly fair, and fine, to make me go to the manufacturer's facility and "buy their catalog" first in order to unlock their unique parts for use at my outposts or something, but nooope. Can't wait for full power modding to enter the scene.

I full built a fairly large ship on New Atlantis so I dealt with a bunch of this just now. I had to google where to find better landing gear, because with its mass I needed like 8 of the basic ones (the best ones are at Titan, btw).

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
There's a warning that pops up when you open the console about certain commands disabling achievements. What commands do that, and is it a permanent mark of shame, or can I like close the game and reload and be fine?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

The back half of the main quest has good parts. Like others were saying my space wife dying was an actual emotional beat in a BGS game, Entangled was really fun and has a secret ending that's really satisfying. The final boss was a slog though

What was the secret ending?

I did the fight at the drill looking thing but then they tried to make me choose between that one guy with a couple lines of dialogue remaining dead or I guess the fifty or so staff at the research facility dying. Was that supposed to be a difficult decision?

space uncle posted:

An awful lot of them do, I got locked out for the unforgivable cheating crime of noclip to finish a bugged quest. It’s a permanent mark of shame.

But there is a very easy mod you can download that will reenable them on Nexus.

ty :)

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

hobbesmaster posted:

UC ending
This can make sense but they really, really needed your companions to talk to you before these choices. It almost feels like a bug because I’m pretty sure that was in other BGS games?

The other problem is that your main companions are constellation members that really believe in constellation so have very similar opinions…. In this case that opinion is that terrormorphs are so terrifying that waiting around for something that might work while those heatleeches that are everywhere could suddenly start murdering everyone you ever knew is unacceptable. Sarah’s home just dealt with an attack that was only stopped because the main character was there to take down just two (three? Whatever). Sam’s home already has trouble with “normal” aliens, one heatleech turning into a terrormorph and Akila city is hosed.

Andreja… actually what is her opinion? I did the bio thing and she was kinda meh. She didn’t like that I didn’t push the subject of the Lazarus plants but no dislike points.

idk about Barrett. Is he on team wow cool dinosaur?

You only get these opinions after the decisions are made. Seriously, why isn’t there a “what do you think about <faction>” option earlier? Just one line for each at least wouldn’t make it a surprise.

My final question is “por que no los dos”. I guess there’s nothing for cool dinosaurs to eat?

I don't even remember the plants being brought up during the solution discussion, so when a Andreja started chastising me about not doing anything about them I was really confused because I would have exterminated them if given the chance.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I just want to know why I'm getting frostbite a few minutes after I step off a ship in a sealed environment suit. Are these suits not rated for space?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
So on Earth, you visit NASA and learn grav drive technology is what destroyed the magnetosphere/atmosphere. Does that mean that OTHER places with atmospheres humans have settled will suffer the same fate? Or was it just development of the technology that did it?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There are hints of it, for example (spoiler on a side quest) there is an encounter with two Ryujin guys on a spaceship that has gone sentient. You have unique ways to resolve the situation if you’ve already joined Ryujin. It was actually sort of cool then though the “persuade” options were as nonsensical as always.

But more would be way better.

I disliked that one because once you get on the ship one of the guys essentially starts threatening you and you don't have an option to tell them off or kill them (bullets go through them). Then at the resolution they force themselves on your ship - again, no option to say no - until you drop them off at Neon. Afterwards they bugged out and they remained on my ship for like 20 hours past the resolution of the quest.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

TeenageArchipelago posted:

the sell kiosk by the landing pads are 11/10, they just need more $$$

The Trade Authority kiosks share funds across the entire galaxy, don't they? Like you unload in New Atlantis and Neon's credits are tanked, too. :magemage:

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

TremorX posted:

The absolute stupidest part of fast travel in this game is that no time technically passes when you do it. You get no healing or rest benefits and none of the time-based cooldowns change status. If nothing else, you should get a counter for X hours of travel.

I almost wonder if this wasn't originally the plan based on the Research kiosk. In Traveller, which Todd claims was a major inspiration (and you can see bits and pieces of its DNA splattered here and there all over Starfield -- hell, your shield/hull icon is a Beowulf), researching new skills occur during space travel, which even at FTL takes days/weeks to reach a destination. The research UI/UX's language almost seems to suggest there was a time element to it at one point, eg the progress % that now just tracks resources.

Seriously though, flip through the core book for Traveller 2300AD and you'll see a lot of Starfield's foundation. I almost get the feeling they wanted to make a Traveller game, couldn't get the rights, then pulled a George Lucas changing Flash Gordon into The Star War

Grav drives being instantaneous brings up a lot of weird issues, it would make more sense to me to warp to somewhere outside a system's gravity well and spend a certain amount of time time sub-warp to go from planet to planet (or use gates for warp, whatever). The weirdest thing to me is fuel. There is really no point to it, it's just an arbitrary, vestigial mechanic.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

The mission balance is sometimes wonky. I had a long quest helping some LIST farmers against spacers, and you have to fight against groups of level 30 ships. Hard. Then the climax is to fight some level 8 enemies in their base??

Also the enemy ship vs on foot enemy balance isn't good (comparing fights at the same level) but that's another story.

Towards the end of the game I was running into mixed groups of level 75s and level 8s. Sometimes ship combat would have level 4s and level 30s. I really don't get it. Maybe they want you to see a 'range' of enemies.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

socialsecurity posted:

Depends if your horses ball protection meter has drained all the way.

Lovingly slathering heal paste on my space horse's balls after it stood on a helium-3 geyser

Floppychop posted:

Your fuel capacity dictates how many jumps in a row you can do in one loading screen, that's it.

It certainly seems like they originally had a plan for fuel to be an actual resource, then axed that idea but left parts of it in.

Even if it were still free, having it only refill when you land at a starport would help a lot. Want to go explore the edges of the map? Better load your ship up with fuel tanks.

They mentioned there were plans for it, but getting stranded somewhere sucked so they removed the consequences for running out of fuel. They should have just completely axed it though, I doubt anyone's been bored enough to dump skill points in that grav jump range skill.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

dogstile posted:

Fallout 4 felt like the world had more to do. I don't think i was ever on my phone while travelling in FO4. I was doing it all the time in starfield.

Yeah, you could show up some random ruined building unrelated to the main quest and there generally was a backstory or another quest involved, however small. You got the impression of history.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Alchenar posted:

It has just dawned on me that a low-key improvement they finally made is that shopkeepers don't all lock up and go home for half the day. Also everyone doesn't have their own home. Finally dropping that attempt to 1:1 model everything makes settlements finally feel far more real and lived in because it's less obvious how absurdly small they actually are.

Sneaking around at night and exploring locked areas was one of my favorite things to do. :(

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

My pettiest complaint is that it feels weird that the majority of weapons are contemporary to 2023 or older and fancy laser/whatever guns are as rare as in Fallout (at least as of level 20). We've got a whole dumb space texas faction using old west guns. Feels like it should be the opposite where only the most broke rear end people are still using old guns and any kind of space traveling pirate/military/etc should use something higher tech.

I don't really think most guns are super contemporary beyond just being ballistics-based. Freestar is cowboy in space *~aesthetics~*, but UC is either caseless space Call of Duty or laser rifles. Crimson Fleet seem to use magshot which I would assume to be fairly advanced, but in my headcanon is repurposed industrial stuff since they can't get much better. Then there's House Var'un who is just out of frame having a great time with particle beam death rays. I haven't really noticed but spacers probably take their weapons from whatever territory they're in.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

I didn’t realize the game would eventually start upping the stats on the same gun types as I leveled up. I assumed the difference would be releasing new makes and models into the loot tables as I scaled up. That said I am seeing a few more old earth guns and the hard shot which makes for a really good sniper rifle.

I think it's both. Non-Novalight particle weapons took a long time to appear - I only ever found a couple Big Bangs and one Starshard by around level 50. Old Earth stuff was a little rare, appearing around 25 but not being terribly different from what I already had so I didn't bother with them.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

TorakFade posted:

this might be the first BGS game where I don't bother with lock picking at all - the minigame is fun and cool, but game throws even more money and stuff at you than ever before EXCEPT DIGIPICKS. I feel like I have to ration/conserve them and so I am not incentivized to use them if the reward is 144 credits, 8 bullets and a dirty pair of pants.

It's so bad that I often wondered if they meant lockpicking to be like in previous games where success doesn't remove a pick (especially since undoing/retrying is already a pick sink), then suddenly decided to have it always cost a digipick but forgot to actually balance around that :confused:

I feel like the lack of lockpicks is mainly an early game issue, eventually I realized I had like 70 of them so I started doing the autoslot/remove thing if the lock was annoying. I didn't get the master level picking because the system wasn't particularly fun to engage with and expert was about as much as I was willing to tolerate.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I had the horrifying realization that they were trying to get me to romance Sarah when all those [flirt] options started showing up.

I will never romance you, Space Judi Dench.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

The game ethics are funny. If you shoot at civilians, obviously your companions flip out and hate you.
But if you are infiltrating a corpo level, and you are discovered, and the guards go to hostile mode, now you can kill all the guards... but also the UNARMED civilians of that level, the ones that just run away and quake in fear in a corner, and no one will complain a bit. You can go lone mass shooter on them, and it's ok.

At Hopetown after I killed the Hope CEO guy, there were some random security guards that kept respawning as hostile. From then on, whenever a quest would take me through the building, they'd aggro and my companion would sprint through the building to execute them as all the civilians ran around panicking. No bounty fortunately, but a very weird vibe.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

KakerMix posted:

I'm confused why (minor? Earth spoilers) the Earth looks like it does. The magnetosphere gets stripped away so we lose our atmosphere and the grand canyon gets erased inside of 100 years? The moon doesn't have an atmosphere and their habs and poo poo are fine, Mars has the vaguest hint of an atmosphere yet they still have their big ol' launch pad since before Earth sanded it up yet the Grand Canyon is gone. Tokyo erased. Pyramids? GONE. EVERYONE leaves Earth? Why? Certainly people would stay, move underground, something. The fact that they try making it a 'was it really WORTH IT???' deep heartfelt makes-u-think thing is so stupid. Extreme 'sorry I am immune to radiation but uhh you gotta kill yourself to stop this' Fallout 3 energy.

I agree it's dumb and makes no sense, it seems to be one of those 'it just is' things you have to accept about the setting. Also, there are visitable locations on Earth beyond the NASA center, you just have to find random books that give you the location to land at. Osaka and the Pyramids are some of them. Unfortunately, there is not much lore-related reason to do so, the locations are just big, non-enterable ruined buildings/landmarks surrounded by dust even if they were located in a big city.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 26, 2023

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Azhais posted:

Surrounded by dust and snowglobes

"Fifty thousand people used to live here. Now it's a snowglobe town."

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
That 'collect evidence' quest stayed in my log even after I had completed the UC/Crimson Fleet arc until I started NG+.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is no option for running, and I don't think I've ever seen the surrender mechanic work.

This is from a while ago, but surrender "works" in certain situations. I jumped into a system to sell a captured pirate ship for a 200 credit profit after the mandatory registration fee but missed a forbidden Va'ruun manga somewhere. While security was hailing I accidentally pressed 'e' so I stood up and I guess that counted as running because by the time I sat back down again I was getting shot at, but I ran a little and kept mashing the 'surrender' button until they eventually relented and I had to pay a slightly higher fine than before.

tadashi posted:

I want to know what the endgame spaceship fight in Starfield is like with a Frontier that's never been improved.

Pretty sure it's impossible because my very first random space encounter was some bounty hunters 15 levels above me who immediately smoked me.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Flowing Thot posted:

Getting rid of the gore of past games is a weird decision to me. It's an easy way to make weapons feel more impactful.

Seeing a couple of small blood decals after a firefight with a dozen mercs is a real Starfield moment.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I don't understand why they didn't port an ammo workbench over from FO4. Seems like it would be easy to do. Relying on anything but 7.7mm and a few other types from drops and random ammo crates felt like it ran out too fast.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I thought it was kind of funny when I entered a sealed hab on some -200° C hellworld there was a coat on a coat rack by the airlock.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Iacen posted:

Speaking of, how old is Sarah supposed to be?

She was the head of some kind of UC exploration division during the Colony Wars which was 10 years prior to Starfield. I'd assume late 30s to mid 40s.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I cringed so hard when they called Space Atheists the Enlightened I think pulled something. I really don't want more mysticism in the game unless it's full-on Va'ruun snek god.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Howard said vehicles would throw off pacing and make worlds seem sparse (lol).

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Unfortunately, the Snake God will just be a level 50 alien snake that controls people via pheromones, similar to a terrormorph.

You can discover this via a level 1 Zoology check, or by reading tablets and computers scattered around the area helpfully marked by (OPTIONAL) quest waypoints.

You can then [Persuade] the current Head Va'ruun Guy he has been mind controlled and to abandon the snake religion, making the final fight easier.

Using a silenced Beowulf you then sneak attack the snake, killing it in three hits while it slithers around trying to figure out who shot it.

You did it, you saved House Va'ruun.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 15, 2024

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I played ~75 hours of FO76's main quest and whatever expansion was out at the time towards the end of '22, and it was... ok? I didn't group up with anyone and nobody bugged me (you'd rarely see anyone anyway), so I just treated it as a single player game with connection issues and it was worth the 75% off price I paid. I really do like the setting and a moddable offline Appalachia would be great.

I also played it during one of those early free weekends before they added NPCs and it was dire. Just running between terminals killing ghouls and robots and wildlife that was in the way. I think that was before they added PvP protection too so it was a lot easier to get griefed.

Punished Ape fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 16, 2024

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

moist turtleneck posted:

People weren't playing the game because the water didn't shimmer enough

It bums me out every time a planet has that 'underground ocean' trait because the area you find it in looks so cool and mysterious and vibrant but you can't dive in to explore it. Or any other water feature for that matter.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Horny is the last thing I want to see BGS attempt.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
The [Commitment] dialogue popped with Andreja immediately after I shook down a bum in the slums of Cydonia, so I guess that's something to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
I don't think people are hostile to others enjoying Starfield, just frustrated with design choices. Bethesda games can be compelling and enjoyable, this felt like a step backward in most if not all respects. Despite that it's still... ok. Not great, but I wouldn't say it's actively bad either. If you enjoy it as-is, that's great and I hope you continue to have fun with it.

I'm doing a second playthrough trying to see stuff I didn't before - I did the starborn thing too early the first time and having everything taken away from you really, really sucked in a game ostensibly centered around collecting/building outposts, ships, and weapons. I'm interested in seeing where the community and further patches/xpacs take it.