Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
*As I leave the estate of a local burgher who thinks I'm a fool I wheel around in my worn wool cloak, smoking a pipe* "Prithee, I've one final matter...."

Renaissance Columbo this game is gonna own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I have to read a bunch of 30 Years War stuff for my final year of my history bachelors and to decompress I will play Pentiment.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Saw the Onfim type doodles on the aqueduct and smiled to myself. GOTY

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
End of Act 2 stuff:

Man, the peasant revolt is gonna stick in my mind when I'm playing EU4 and click "Harsh Treatment" on rebels...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Thinking about this the day after beating it and this is like, the most marxist history game I've ever played

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Protagonist of new vegas is "The Courier", protagonist of Pentiment is a "Master Mailer"... has Obsidian run out of ideas?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I mean Marxist as in the examination of history as analyzing events through the lens of the relations of socio-economic classes

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 17, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thanks for making a game where the dilemmas are tough enough that I'm legitimately wondering if letting my best friend take the rap for a murder he didn't do is the best possible option op

Yeah I started feeling the same way

Act 1 and 2 Stuff

What I really like is how brutal the execution at the end of Act 1 is. A lot of rpgs have similar like, "investigate a crime and accuse someone of it" as a sidequest but because of engine limitations in like, how to depict it and maybe writing choices most of the time the gravity of what's actually happening is removed. In this even if you strongly feel that some guy who's a major dick is guilty, it still leaves the player feeling ambivalent about the actual verdict because through your actions you're just condemning someone to die horribly. I think it also really plays well into the despondency Andreas feels in Act 2

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

SexyBlindfold posted:

I genuinely accepted his invitation to dinner in Chapter 2 hoping to bury the axe and help out the abbey, and by extension the town, to the best of my abilities, and then the abbot went on to explain the dire financial straits of the abbey while gorging on expensive food, told me that he was raising the tax on the peasants because his embezzler-in-chief told him to, refused to ask the bishop for financial aid because 𝕲𝖔𝖉 forbid he loses face over this, and increased the forest restrictions on the peasants for literally no reason other than "putting them in their place". Eat my whole rear end.

I can see his rationale for all of this. The mother of the poor sisters in Act 3 mentions that part of the performance of the previous order (I forget what name it is lmao) is the display of both wealth and power. Like this is where the Abbey derives its authority and if it cant maintain both of those it would probably be disbanded. Also asking the Bishop for financial aid isnt really possible because I thought the whole point of the abbey is to like, collect revenues and pass them up so if it isn't able to do that it has no reason to exist.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jerusalem posted:

But then he does poo poo like claim he is going to EXCOMMUNICATE anybody he catches foraging in the forest during the Feast Night, which is like the nuclear bomb option of that era. He was the type of person who wildly overreacts in an attempt to stamp down his authority in a position he clearly isn't cut out for. I assume that Ferenc was overlooked for the Abbott because at least some sense of his occult interests was present enough to make him an untenable choice, which meant Gernot got the tap instead and KNEW that he wasn't anybody's first choice.

Anyway, in new things I discovered this playthrough, oh my God Mathieu and Rudeger :3:

I always saw that as something he'd either not actually go through with, or allow for the peasants to recant so they can receive communion again as part of negotiatiobs. Which yeah, is still a super lovely thing to do but at least the abbot is like, a landlord who is present in the community and has ties to them and is at least nominally willing to negotiate. I was thinking about the woodsman you encounter in Act 3, and how he's basically the force of an absentee landlord who is willing to just straight up kill you for being near a pig grazing in the woods and imo it casts the abbey and abbot in a more favorable light. A guy who you can at least see and negotiate with, and only threatens you spiritually, which while super important and a crisis for the village, is replaced with some guy who doesnt give a poo poo about anyone in the village and uses mortal terror as his cudgel.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jerusalem posted:

Not defending Gernot in the slightest, but I do wonder how much of the high regard the previous Abbot is held in is due to him being dead, and you can kind of mythologize how much better he was now that he's not a living, breathing person doing things that might cause issues.

Not to say it's made up from whole cloth, Gernot certainly seems to have taken much stricter measures than the previous Abbot ever did, but I bet there was plenty of complaining about the old Abbot when he was alive too.

ACT 3 stuff is in this. I'd also say maybe there being huge revolts causing a bunch of economic disruption is part of why he has to try to increase his revenues. I dont really see him selling off the library and closing the scriptorium as proof he's selfish, more that they were useless expenditures and the noble patrons that they depended on to function also arent willing to sponsor them anymore. Tbh I have a lot of sympathy for Gernot for trying to preserve the abbey which characters in the text acknowledge as being an anachronistic medieval holdover basically. In this way his character sort of echoes the priest in that he's trying to preserve an institution that he believes to be incredibly important against the tide of modernization and secularization of authority. And it's not like the guy who replaces the abbey as the manorialist lord is any better.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think they work, even if you dont pick them if you characterize Magdalene as feeling stifled by life in Tassing and feeling bitter over being expected to stay there her whole life and those are just her internal thoughts

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Act 2 question Are there any interactions with the landsknecht? He was just sorta there and the only thing I could do was play cards with him and tell my apprentice "Being a mercenary probably sucks". When I saw him sharpening a katzbalger I did a pog irl and was wondering if I could talk with him more

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Professor Beetus posted:

As alluded to in Jerusalem's post here, in Act 2 if you buy everyone a round at the inn, you can get try to punch him during the brawl and get hilariously owned. it was definitely an interaction!

Lmao I had rapscallion as a background and tried to sucker punch him, and instead of vomitting on the floor he just loving knocked me out cold instead

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jerusalem posted:

I hit a conversation tree I hadn't seen before in Act 2 recently where Andreas can mention that the Church doesn't need GOLD cups for use in communion, and both the Abbot and Mathieu were incredibly offended and insisted that the Chuch MUST have the finest things. That on top of the Abbot's incredibly extravagant dinner (and it wasn't put on just to impress Andreas, Lukas can mention that the Abbot insists on having the most expensive possible meals ALL THE TIME) while he's sitting there saying,"The peasants have stretched even MY patience!" as if he was the most humble motherfucker in the world really infuriated me.

But they DO need the gold cups and the extravagant dinners, if those markers of hierarchy are lost then like, the function or necessity of that hierarchy is then in question. The Abbey, acting as representatives of the bishop or w/e as land lords have an obligation to display wealth as a sign of their prestige and prosperity

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Can you ever learn more about the landsknecht who's hanging out in act 2? He seemed like a really chill dude who didnt care that I tried to sucker punch him in a tavern brawl. Maybe that's just cause he layed me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The Lone Badger posted:

"This battle could have been an email" I think despondently as I crush someone's skull with a mace.

This is what all those condotierri said in their fake battles they performed just to get money