Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: You can stop the electric drones by shooting the security camera enemy in the same room!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Artix posted:

I would apologize for the state of these videos but we were so done with the game by the time we got here.

I am starting to think that a forced completionist run is not the ideal way to play a video game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FoolyCharged posted:

The back half of this game is a pain in the rear end to navigate.
Making the rear end an rear end is just Bri'ish humour.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

SelenicMartian posted:

Making the rear end an rear end is just Bri'ish humour.

That's 'arse', Yank. :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

stryth posted:

With all the short cuts, loop backs and conditional travel methods. GI seems a bit, souls like in it's layout. Am I imagining that?
Not really. I think GI is the best designed level in the game specifically because it is such an interesting navigational challenge - you have to keep opening doors, unlock shortcuts, activate things and everything its own little puzzle. You can see parts of the level through windows and have to wonder how to get there, then you unlock a door, activate a flight pad, and go "oooh so that's how". Completely independent of jiggies, the level is filled with minor accomplishment moments and I absolutely adore it for that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One drawback to the Honeyback cheat - it makes the snowball transformation in Hailfire a real nuisance. You need to burn yourself on the fire outside Humba to get small enough to enter her tent. With honeyback, it can be a real nuisance trying to lose health quickly enough to get inside to change back.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Of all of the wild things Silver has said during this LP, not knowing about Hot Coffee is up there. That one feels firmly in the gaming canon if you were born in, like, a year starting with the number "1". Apologies if you're a young'in!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

C-Euro posted:

Of all of the wild things Silver has said during this LP, not knowing about Hot Coffee is up there. That one feels firmly in the gaming canon if you were born in, like, a year starting with the number "1". Apologies if you're a young'in!

I am, in fact, an old lady. In fact, my birth year is 1984 :ssh:. But I was also firmly in the Nintendo camp in my youth, and have never been terribly interested in the GTA games! They're just not my thing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I suppose it also depends on how online you were around the time. It was big news because of favourite gamer punching bag Jack Thompson's interest in it, iirc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fair enough! I will admit to being too online at too young an age, though I was also a Nintendo Kid growing up.

Thank God there's still at least one person older than me interested in LPs, lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I read about Hot Coffee in the local newspaper and then gaming magazines...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
yeah seriously, grunty industries is literally fine if you play it last.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh right yeah, since this came up in the video, this is the review board I mentioned that does the deep dive into industrial accidents . I feel like they'd have a field day with Grunty Industries.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh right yeah, since this came up in the video, this is the review board I mentioned that does the deep dive into industrial accidents . I feel like they'd have a field day with Grunty Industries.

My first day at a particle accelerator my team had an after-incident debfiefing where they'd been working with a massive power supply, some capacitor that was supposed to discharge safely when the thing was turned off didn't, and it discharged when they were handling the cables. Nobody injured (long-term, apparently the sight and sound was pretty impressive), they'd done all the safety stuff in the correct order so it discharged to the ground line, but a takeaway of "if we hadn't done things by the book somebody would probably be dead now". Made an impact, I wonder if someone said "the interns are starting soon, let's hold off two days on this meeting."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 12, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time as a kid to understand the panels with the four screws because, as shown in the video, I was just slightly off when I tried drilling the first time and why would I try again?! It didn't work the first time??!

Also the jiggy across the poison pool mystified me for the longest time, because a) you can walk underwater and it looks like it should be the solution but it's not and b) the actual solution makes no sense, why would it work like that, argh (I know we haven't been shown it yet I'm still mad at it tho)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Simply Simon posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time as a kid to understand the panels with the four screws because, as shown in the video, I was just slightly off when I tried drilling the first time and why would I try again?! It didn't work the first time??!

Also the jiggy across the poison pool mystified me for the longest time, because a) you can walk underwater and it looks like it should be the solution but it's not and b) the actual solution makes no sense, why would it work like that, argh (I know we haven't been shown it yet I'm still mad at it tho)

But also at the same time: it was incredibly frustrating watching him see a banjo only switch and then spent more time faffing about with Kazooie solo trying to figure it out instead of just trying things with solo banjo until he found the incredibly weird solution. (That if I recall is the only place in the game you have to use that particular technique?)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Lock Out Tag Out, now you're speaking my language (I don't work EHS but have been one or two degrees of separation from EHS everywhere that I've worked)

Silver Falcon posted:

Also hilariously understaffed, at least until recently.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

yeah seriously, grunty industries is literally fine if you play it last.

this tbh

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Looks like Clinker's Cavern was a clunker. :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I alluded to it a while ago, but sharp-eyed viewers will recognize the Sewers FPS section as Goldeneye's Complex stage :eng101:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You can really see the multi-step design ethos of Tooie here in particular. Like, to get to the Waste Disposal Plant to get that Jiggy, you need to:

• Blow open the door so Mumbo can get to the 2nd Floor Mumbo Pad.
• Get Mumbo to EMP the 2nd Floor Electromagnet.
• Get back to Mumbo's, warp to Wumba's, transform, get the washing machine to the Electromagnet Room, stand on the switch.
• Transform back, go to the basement, fight Weldar
• Then you can finally go through the door in the big fan room.

I think that's about as intricate as it gets, but that's pretty intricate.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you don't cheat, Weldar is probably the hardest not final boss in the game, furthering the idea that this should just have been the final level

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Wait a minute. Roll back the tape. Yes! Right there at 25:21! I know that expression. There's only one other person in all the isle of hags known to give a good, "wahey!"

Boggey has been working for the man this whole time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If you had a third hand, would you use it to finally, properly grip the N64 controller?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Quackles posted:

If you had a third hand, would you use it to finally, properly grip the N64 controller?
Why would you need to do that? You don't use all three prongs at the same time.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DMorbid posted:

Why would you need to do that? You don't use all three prongs at the same time.

That just means you’re not brave enough :getin:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Please, enlighten us, what N64 game uses all three prongs simultaneously.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Smash.

Unless you were a coward that didn't taunt.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ChaosArgate posted:

My romhack, Paper Mario: Master Quest. (If you're accessing the debug menu) :v:

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

FoolyCharged posted:

Smash.

Unless you were a coward that didn't taunt.

I just used my chin.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I don't know how Smash controls on the N64, but the AKI wrestling games (WCW/nWo Revenge, WWF No Mercy and others using that engine) do in fact use the d-pad for movement, the buttons for various wrestleman things, and the stick for taunting and activating your special (and Z for switching your wrestler to AI control if you want to do that for some reason, which I assume was down there so you wouldn't switch by accident), so yes, technically you need all three prongs and I'm contradicting what I said earlier.

Of course, you never actually need to move the stick with any kind of precision in these games, so you can easily hit it with your thumb without changing your grip.

Now, activating the debug mode in Shadows of the Empire, that genuinely appears to require three or four hands or possibly some sort of Force ability, but it's very much an exception.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

DMorbid posted:

I don't know how Smash controls on the N64

Essentially the same as newer games: Control stick moves, A is for basic attacks, B is for specials, C-buttons are shortcuts for smashes, R shields, Z grabs, and the D-pad taunts. L presumably also shields, but uh why are you able to reach L?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Slight corrections, the C-buttons are your jump buttons, Z is shield, R is Grab and L is your singular taunt. D-pad does nothing in regular gameplay, but can be used to navigate the menus.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Shadow Man did it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I don't remember if I ever played an N64 game that used the d-pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Weeble posted:

I don't remember if I ever played an N64 game that used the d-pad.

Mischief Makers, Kirby 64, and WWF No Mercy were all great.