Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm fascinated by the idea that in 2022, there is someone who both hasn't played Banjo-Kazooie and is interested in doing so. Having had an N64 growing up I have a lot of fond(?) memories of the collectathon genre, but the industry has passed it by for so long that people know where they stand on it at this point. Definitely curious to see how this goes, I do think this is a good game if you have patience for the genre (and good call playing a version with better Note-tracking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It went by in a flash, but during the frog fight you picked up a shat-out egg and it counted as an egg for your ammo. Remember to recycle y'all!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I recall the room with the big jar having framerate problems on the N64, so the frame dropping here is either really good emulation or really bad emulation depending on how you choose to define it :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I like that the final new move in the game is "here's some shoes I guess", though I suppose I don't know any other birds who can wear Jordans so maybe it's a tough thing to teach!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Howling at the snowman who sniped you from so high up that the death music was almost done playing by the time you hit the ground.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
As a new-ish parent, I can relate to Eyrie eating, greatly expanding his size, and then immediately falling asleep.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It's been a long time since I've done it, but I think that if you don't bust Gnawty's Boulder in summer he's just frozen under the ice in winter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That was...a little more brutal than I remember. I do remember the photos being particularly nasty though, your best bet is to match the color scheme to the level though that doesn't always work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Flash poll: is this the only boss fight in the game? It kinda always felt that way to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Woah, woah. Hold on here. Did I miss it? You're not done here argate, go home!

No really, take banjo back into his house, there's a cool Easter egg minigame there

It's worth taking a quick trip back to Spiral Mountain after beating the game, yeah. For a couple of reasons!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Never seen this game in action, but I've always hated the way Banjo looks in this game just from the box art and promo renders. It's like they tried to 90s attitude/edgy with the higher fidelity of the mid-00s. Maybe the whole art style just sucks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Quote is not edit!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watching the video now and I love the implication that (Argate don't read this) after playing hackey-sack with Grunty's skull for a while the gang from Tooie just kind of...left her lying around somewhere. They were nice enough to pop her eye back in its socket at least!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
:sickos:

Tooie is 10-15% too much game but I like it more than Kazooie I think. Have fun!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
+1 for liking the interconnectivity of the worlds in Tooie. It makes the Isle O' Hags feel like an actual place, even if the layout of everything in relation to everything else makes no sense, in a way that the discrete levels in Kazooie didn't. I do agree though that the game gets pretty buck with having to do stuff in a few different worlds in order to collect some Jiggies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm not a Fire Emblem Person, but I like that Rare just used the FE level up sound each time JamJars gets done teaching you a move.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Glad to see that this game continues the tradition from Kazooie where enemies will constantly razz (transformed) Banjo about his outfit.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
"You'll feel my merry old sole on top of your heads" still makes me chuckle all these years later.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In a game full of walking talking animals, why did Rare decide to make Mary a horrible Island of Dr. Moreau hybrid?

berenzen posted:

Oh Canary Mary, how I utterly loathed you as a child. Also have fun always accidentally drill billing instead of ground pounding for the rest of the game.

This is funny when you realize that the Beak Buster is almost never used as a puzzle-solving tool in this game- everything that requires you to ground-pound is designed to be a Beak Drill check instead. The limited use of a lot of the moves from the first game is a bummer in general, though I guess focusing on the new stuff makes sense.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
90s kids will recognize the Ordnance Depot layout as (roughly) Goldeneye's Stack multi-player level :eng101:

E: I don't know that Targitzan's Temple is based on a Rare shooter level but the FPS zone in world 6 definitely is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 13, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
For how much work is required to collect some of the Jiggies in this game, the Jiggie requirements for unlocking new levels are pretty soft; two worlds' worth of Jiggies gets us five levels unlocked. Kind of plays into what Artix was saying a couple of videos ago about this game borrowing cues from Metroidvanias and open-world games, where there's lots to pick up but not as much that's required to be picked up. I can't even remember what you get for 100%ing the game, if you get anything at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This world is good and also the inflection point between "just complex enough" and "too complex" IMO. Like if all of the worlds were as complicated as this one I think this game would be remembered better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I do not understand the connection between "theme park" and "armored truck" but it is indeed extremely satisfying to run over every enemy you encounter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I love the mileage that Rare got out of that one burp sound clip across their entire N64 library. It's the Wilhelm scream of Rare.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't dislike the Mr. Patch fight, I just hate all of the noises that he makes.

Also three jeers for the person in the YT comments who spoiled your Saucer of Peril score, lol

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 30, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think that the XBLA releases of BK and BT restore the "original" functionality of the eggs and key, in that you pick them up in BK and then your BT save file knows that you've previously collected them. I can't remember what it puts in place of the little BK cart pinatas though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Blackeye is one of my favorite NPCs in either BK game. He has more dialogue if you go back and talk to him some more!

Bruceski posted:

Am I imagining it, or did they manage to give his bloops a gay affectation?

A past BT Let's Play mentioned something about "ginger beer" being a homosexual slang (slur?) of some sort, but I'm not an expert on the Queen's English circa 1999.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
At least they were progressive enough to make him the mayor? :goleft:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I gotta be honest, I don't know if the game ever tells you that the running shoes can walk on water now. They certainly couldn't in the last game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Forgot to mention this while we were more active in the Lagoon town, but I like the detail that the Yes/No button prompts are changed to Aye/Naw there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can get the submarine up to the town and Free Willy yourself onto land, but yeah there's not much you can do once you're there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Terrydactyland feels like Rare took the wrong lesson from Click Clock Wood ("people like levels built around a tall central structure" instead of "hey look at this neat thing we did with the four seasons"). I don't know that it's an objectively bad design but it's not really memorable, which probably puts it at the bottom of my level ranking next to the future level that tries too hard to be memorable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know how much of the game you have left to record, but you really gotta let go of the stick on these shock/spring jumps, at least the first time you do them in a given spot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I never put together how terrifyingly large some of the dinosaurs are in this stage. Unless Banjo et al are just really tiny?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
When Terry's Eggs "activate" the game does a brief shot of where each one is, complete the little zone title cards in each case. Of course, if you gently caress off and do something else it's very easy to forget that there's supposed to be one in the Unga Bunga cave!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I haven't played this game in a while, but put me down as a Grunty Industries apologist. It's the most Banjo-Tooie level in the game: lots of neat ideas, interconnected as hell, but could have really benefitted from one more editorial pass. Artix's comment about how it should have been the last world in this game is spot-on in particular.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

The gimmick with the train though? That part rules. I love that you have to infiltrate the place and open it from the inside.

Yeah it rules. Most interesting bit of cross-world hopping in this game for sure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
One of my favorite pieces of N64 music, and a really great example IMO of Rare's music style. That incredibly filthy baritone sax sound in particular :allears:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you Artix for acknowledging Mr. Pants at the very end there, y'all's gamer credentials were in serious jeopardy for a moment.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Y'know, there sure is a lot of death in BT for what is ostensibly a children's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it possible to get to the Chili Billi fight without Ice Eggs? I know that Fire Eggs are required to progress through the Isle o' Hags, but I can't think of a spot where Ice Eggs are a hard requirement.