Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It'll be interesting to see how that one plays out. It will presumably reduce smoking, but will it lead to an uncontrollable black market?

Also, there's a point where you've functionally just banned cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yinlock posted:

Not enough to stop being good friends with the people leading the court in that direction, of course.

Truly this is the greatest crime of the supreme court.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course this is how it was gonna go. The only thing Democrats do anymore is make drat well sure that every decrepit old gently caress gets to sit in the big chair until they die.

McConnell might be aware no matter what he does, chances are he's going to get unseated by a nazi in 24, so he's gotta get his last kicks in.

Is there someone positioning to run against him?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao it's still in the casing

Yeah absolutely. It's just...really obvious. It's not a hollow point, so either this cop was smart enough to not just pop a round out of the mag of their duty pistol and actually put some effort into it, or they roll with wadcutters on the reg. I'm not sure which would be sadder.

Meanwhile, in Florida:
https://www.salon.com/2021/06/23/desantis-signs-bill-requiring-florida-students-professors-to-register-political-views-with-state/

Imagine being terrified that a gun registry will be used by the government to round on dissidents, but not being worried about this.

Serious question: is this being cribbed from some pre-written agenda from a think tank or whatever, or is Desantis free-styling? A lot of the stuff I've been seeing coming out of Florida isn't just standard Republican cliches. It raises my eyebrows when these ghouls exhibit creativity.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 5, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Epic High Five posted:

Article is from last year, and I don't see anything in there saying it was slated for 2022, am I missing something or did this not end up happening and there's just some confusion about the dates?

As for the 2nd part, the GOP has a very large, well-funded, and extremely successful operation to ensure that passing a law in one state means it gets sent out to all the rest they can to codify it as well. ALEC is the most prominent part of it but it's a foundational part of their theory of power and political operations. Professors have long been a favorite target.

I'm going to go insane.

Ah, ok, thanks. I've got a respiratory infection and between the meds and the sleep deprivation I'm not firing on all cylinders.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bird food bathtub posted:

Is that really "Free-styling"? Forcing undesireables to register themselves has a pretty well known historical basis. I wouldn't call it an agenda, more of a playbook for fascists and authoritarians.

It's forcing everyone to register. So instead of, say, a registry of Jews, and everyone else is a not-Jew by inference, it could support persecution of whoever the people in power don't like. It's transparently a self-hoisting petard to a degree I'm not used to seeing, which is why it surprised me enough to bypass the usual dateline check.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A big flaming stink posted:

the point being argued was about the so-called "80 million gun-owning americans that have committed no crime" and kalit responded with the assertion that they actually were committing crimes

If the number of claimed self defenses with guns and the number of reported crimes for which self defense would be justified are different, the gap has to come from somewhere. In any given case, either the drawing of a weapon was justified--meaning the crime that justified it went unreported--or the person was not justified in drawing--which is a crime, that went unreported.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I do wonder sometimes how many of the rampage killers might have otherwise become serial killers, especially the ones that were explicitly incel motivated.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mawarannahr posted:

For example, one thing that could be done to curtail auto warranty scams could be to offer public auto insurance as several Canadian provinces do (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_auto_insurance). Couldn’t the government pursue universal public auto insurance as a way to shut down auto insurance scams? For a country so dependent on automobility it might make a lot of sense.

...we don't even have a public option for healthcare

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Has either party ever given up on a president so completely that they abandoned an incumbent who wanted to try for re-election?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

LBJ.

Although, Johnson was still basically tying with RKF in the polls until he withdrew. So, he wasn't completely given up on.

My recollection was he voluntarily withdrew rather than the party cutting bait, but I sure as hell didn't check lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

...." Only 10% think Biden isn't progressive enough.

I wish there were more people studying what different groups of Americans think progressive even means, aside from the periodic chud safari. Ditto for "the economy," really. Like, I don't expect the average American to have a coherent, fully-articulated worldview but it's really clear at this point that people project some wild poo poo onto those terms.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hang on, abortion rights is considered an important problem among 10% of women? How is this question structured?

I'm wondering the same. Asking if something is important is wildly different from asking if it's most important or the prime determining factor. There is no loving way only ten percent consider it an important issue in the "I care about this" sense.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 11, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I wouldnt say they're giving up, this timely article points out that all the possible democrat contenders are supporting biden for re-election:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/11/politics/biden-democratic-primary-challenge-2024/index.html

There is one notable exception--Hillary Clinton. She's the most capable Democrat remaining and she's poised to make her return, dont be surprised to see big things from her coming soon

My post was a response to a post that suggested the Dems would run Biden because they're decorum elementals, rather than voluntarily giving up the incumbent advantage being a very rare thing for either party. I don't really expect anyone to seriously try to primary Biden, least of all the only person on planet earth to have already lost in the general against Trump. God, why did you put that idea in my head. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't remember that. I think everyone thought it was going to be close but that she would narrowly win.

There were a few people who thought Trump would win, but iirc they were mostly people with genuine anxiety disorders who periodically wandered into the thread begging to be talked off a ledge. They weren't taken terribly seriously, usually getting responses like "post your map."