Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

evilweasel posted:

lawyertalk: pleading the fifth is not an admission of guilt, and there are often many good reasons to plead the fifth even if you are completely innocent

realtalk: lol at the public believing that

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/1557371559421042688?s=20&t=bh2mz3OP8aPwsaSWXP9iUA

Whose soul did Biden offer up to get the roll he's on? He's moved past having a good week to a good month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
You can also say that for the Carter-era push for Healthcare, where liberals tried to hold out for better. It all depends on circumstances and the current circumstance is we are unlikely to have a democratic trifecta again this decade. If we do, it'll partially because successful legislation was passed that energized liberals.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The car makes it sound like there was some additional incendiary device that was triggered prematurely.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Rigel posted:

Wait, what? How in the gently caress did the Democrats reverse WV v EPA in a reconciliation bill. That is amazing, and I can't imagine what argument they could have put forward to get the parliamentarian to OK this. It seems to be clearly a policy change unrelated to the budget.

Whichever democratic aide made that case to the parliamentarian saved millions of lives.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I have no student loan debt and make over the income cap, so I am not directly affected. But I see a lot of friends who are suddenly happier, and one who is making a major career move, because of this. More than anything else the Biden administration has done, and I say this as a single issue climate voter, this can make a positive impact on a lot of peoples' lives.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

And yes, the loans are all held by the Department of Education thanks to... Obamacare. So, indirectly, Obamacare made student loan forgiveness possible.

Circling back to an earlier joke, we owe Obamacare to Mitt Romney. This means, indirectly, Joseph Smith is responsible for the student loan forgiveness.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Biden, like Obama, has reached a point where he's fed up with Republicans. Unlike Obama, he has a bare minimum majority and the possibility to hold onto the trifecta.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

evilweasel posted:

sinema has some amount of very good political instincts - she went from a green party member to a senator from a traditionally red state - that appear to have been entirely lost in some sort of traumatic head injury that has caused her to believe doing the stupidest most self-damaging thing possible will make her president

It all depends on whether people care enough about her to primary her in 2024. Biden made noises to that effect to pressure her, and her primary voters were mad enough that she wouldn't pull through, but two years is a long time in politics.

EDIT: Going by this article, she's consistently down with dems the same as she was six months ago.

https://coppercourier.com/story/poll-arizona-kyrsten-sinema/

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
In general, people do need to be broadly informed and able to critically analyze the world around them. However, the specific issue is that a lot of people are graduating college with crippling debt and a lack of technical skills they can use to support themselves.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one thing you can always count on with Trump is him stiffing people

From Trump's perspective it makes perfect sense. Every transaction is a net zero total, the way you get ahead is by screwing over the other guy. If you can maneuver someone into a position where you can not pay them, or settle for less than the market rate after a protracted legal battle, you've come out ahead.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

The problem may currently be unsolvable. Many of the steps short of "abolish the police" have been tried and were either ineffetive or quickly diverted into the existing problem.

There are systems which are resistant or immune to reform. Police are a great example of such systems.

If you want to give steps short of abolition, feel free to demonstrate their effectiveness over a medium to long term.

Where there's been success its usually been targeting local police departments, effectively abolishing them or dismissing a huge chunk of the staff, and rebuilding them from the ground up according to modern principles. Camden is the go to example here.

The issue is it is hard to implement this as a national policy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

A large part of it is (like most things in America) about inequality. In the mid 2010's (I have no idea if this has changed or if it is even possible to reasonably calculate at this moment in time given everything that happened to education worldwide during Covid), if you removed the bottom 10% of worst performing schools from the U.S. average on standardized test scores, then the U.S. jumps from the mid-teens globally to #1 globally.

Like most things in the U.S., education performance is incredibly unequal with a large chunk of people who it works out "fine" for, a chunk who do extremely well, and a chunk that are just completely left behind.

To be fair, however, you'd need to apply this same methodology to the other countries so you'd have a good comparison. I think everyone's scores would improve if you removed the bottom 10%; the question is, does the US improve more than the others?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's something of a recurring cycle and one of the key tensions in any anti-fascist movement: violence is undesirable, but also necessary as a final check on fascism. The issue is you then need to dismantle that violent infrastructure when the threat is gone.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It really sounds like he scooped up mementos about his presidency.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a good sourced and legitimate article going into this thing I heard on Opening Arguments the other day about more spies being killed than usual?

I don't see anything in recent news, but human intelligence has been getting decimated over the last decade. My personal theory, based mostly off anecdotes and rumors, is that the CIA has had trouble hiring because of stringent drug testing and a lot of new case officers end up just being weirdos who are bad at tradecraft.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

There's not really an adequate solution for this yet. You'll see some designs for sidewalk paving slabs that have slots in them so you can safely run a power cord out to your car without causing a tripping hazard, but that still means you're running a high voltage line from your front door out to the street and doesn't help with apartments.

Ideally, fast charging networks will get built out enough that they essentially replace gas stations, so you'll pop on down to the convenience store for a charge when you need one. But that requires a massive buildout of infrastructure and faster charging times in general.

Yeah it's my big hesitation. I have a dedicated parking space with my apartment but no EV charger accessible. The parking space itself is also in an adjacent lot so I can't reasonably run a cable from the apartment to it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Dumb question, but is it really true the president can declassify any documents he wants? So if the president decided to declassify a document that had the names of every spy currently in Russia there's nothing anyone could do about it? Like even if it would be incredibly damaging to US national security and literally get people killed? Because Trump is saying he declassified all the documents he kept in his closet and a few of those were the most highly classified types of documents.

He cannot.

At the very least, nuclear secrets are classified by an act of Congress that he can't circumvent.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

LorneReams posted:

I feel like they only raise interest rates to give them room to cut them when there is an inevitable crash. I feel like it's been this way since the early 90s. I remember all the talk about having nothing left to cut during the previous crashes when they hit 0%.

This is important. We've been at rock bottom interest rates since 2008 and it's led to a lot of monetary innovation from the Fed because their main tool to juice the economy has been maxed out. Now is a great time to raise rates for long-term health, while unemployment is low and inflation is higher than desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

So many height/sky/space puns and wordplay in less than a minute.

It almost seems like a parody from the Netflix Space Force show.

Netflix Space Force was less ridiculous: spaceman only seems corny when you forget they went with guardian for the real thing.