Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Star Man posted:

What good does freezing the gas tax do? It's coroorate greed, not regulation jacking uo the price, right?

Yeah that's right, and not to mention the gas tax is a pretty tiny part of the overall price at the pump. There'd be far more savings for consumers if a price ceiling was implemented but if they aren't even gonna be able to get a gas tax holiday out there then it's a total pipe dream to think that could happen.

Which just gets to the fact that the simplest, most efficient way to help people with rising gas prices would be to give them money with no strings attached. Which also won't happen but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A 3 month suspension on the gas tax means that it'd end not terribly long before the midterm elections. Seems a bit short-sighted if the effect of the tax suspension winds up being noticeable, which admittedly isn't something I'd count on without anything being done to prevent the prices at the pump from going up even higher.

(Not counting on this passing at all, mind)

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 22, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I feel like DeSantis is a much more dangerous president than Trump. Being able to accomplish just as fascist things with less of a veneer of bombastic idiot-ness. Am I overthinking that?

He does seem to be hot-headed though so maybe that would make him more prone to campaign ending gaffes.

He wouldn't get mad about CNN/MSNBC/etc the same way Trump does so if nothing else there'd be far less pushback from those outlets. He'd do the same heinous poo poo but in a "respectable" way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even ignoring the fact that additional money for cops rarely results in better outcomes, there's no amount of extra funding for the police she can propose that will stop republicans from saying she wants to defund the police.

The better approach would be to talk about raising the state's minimum wage so that everyone can make a living wage.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

I guess it could be true if you're one of three cops in some no traffic light town in Georgia but they're also still probably one of the highest paid people in that town so gently caress em.

Edit: quick googling but either she is talking about something besides state troopers or this really only applies to cadets since everyone else's base salary is already over 50k.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewdepietro/2020/04/23/police-officer-salary-state/?sh=60f8e5052010

The average police pay in Georgia is about $44k (as of 2020 so I assume it's higher now!) but also the stats don't mention overtime pay. I'm sure there are some making less than 50k but it'd be a marginal change that also wouldn't fix a drat thing about the police.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

World Famous W posted:

please don't pretend to be a bigot to get a bill passed, even if dealing with republicans

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cimber posted:

I wonder though if there is a silver lining. Abortion was pretty much the thing that held a lot of the various conservative groups together. With that gone are we now going to see the high water mark of modern American Conservatism? Will the big tent republicans start fracturing?

No because they've gotten what they want *and* with promises of more of what they want on the horizon. If anything that's gonna make conservative voters more enthusiastic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If Manchin and Sinema truly aren't democrats then it should be a cinch to get them removed from their committee assignments because the rest of the party surely opposes them, no? Would be real awkward if they were representing democrats on a committee assignment without being a democrat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

shades of eternity posted:

sure it did.

1. I can't imagine the ukrainian -russian conflict without Biden going full-cold warrior, instead of Russian collaborator trump.
2. stimulus of 2020 happened.

these wouldn't have happened without voting.

I'm getting mixed messages here because the 2020 stimulus checks happened under Trump.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mendrian posted:

As a 90s kid, the prevailing feeling around Roe was (I think) that codifying it was polticially untenable because Dems were terrified of being sadled with a "baby killer bill". I think that's still bullshit but moral cowardice was a typical feature of Clintonites so that seems plausible to me. And now we reap the rewards.

If nothing else it's an evergreen statement that plenty of dem leadership are terrified of doing something that would make republicans say the same things they're already saying.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rigel posted:

I came up with two possible interpretations, both of them bad. Either "eh no reason to go through a lot of work and effort on this because if we win a resounding victory then we just vote our rights back into place in congress." Or possibly, "uhhh, lets calm down the rhetoric about Biden taking bold action, that might hurt some Senate races. We'll do stuff later, trust me". Even if either explanation is true, you don't loving say that out loud where people can write it down and report it.

I figured it was the latter just because that has historically been a frequent dem excuse to not do things. But that's just me extrapolating from some jumbled nonsense!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

B B posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1542142703491850241

If I am being honest, this sounds really bad. Hopefully someone in power does something about this.

Trying to frame this as a Trump thing and not the thing republicans had been aiming to do for many decades is some poo poo messaging alright.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I still haven't been able to figure out with 100% certainty if the reason the Dem's failed to pass some of the good stuff in the last 2 years was Manchin and Sinema alone or if they were the tip of a very large iceberg running cover for everyone else.

Like would a bunch of them change their votes to No if we had 2+ extra senators who could override the filibuster?

If nothing else we know there are more than 2 dems that are oppsed to a living wage so that works as a decent baseline for that idea.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I can't see past the paywall either, but according to the AP summary, the tl;dr version is:

Biden has struck a deal with McConnell to nominate McConnell's friend - a lawyer for former Governor Matt Bevin - to the circuit court in Kentucky in exchange for not slowing down any of his other federal judge nominees for the rest of the year.

Well, if McConnell agreed to it then I see no reason why he can't be trusted to follow through with his promise. But that's just this goldfish's opinion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Democrats in Congress and getting mad at Biden.

Everyone should read the whole article but a few highlights:

I post this because the last quote actually irritated me. I imagine Clinton wouldn't of taken this lying down and would of been trying to come up with deals in the Senate. It's loving July man, make the deals, twist arms, do what the gently caress ever because in two months nothing is getting done. And quite frankly the long view won't loving matter when you have a Republican house that is going to go back to do nothing, blame Democrats. Its time to lean on people, its time to pull every trick you know. You're letting your own loving caucus down, they are ASKING you for help.

I think what irritates me most about this is that Kennedy, Johnson, Roosevelt, loving the people considered some of the best Presidents ever all met the moment. They all said, let me try something. Obama for all his faults tried occasionally. It's maddening.

Yea. At this point asking nicely sure hasn't paid off - we all know what happened with the BBB act after all. And it's not like arm twisting could make anything worse what with how it's looking likely that in half a year they won't have that trifecta.

Anecdotally, most folks I know who were defending Biden up to this point seem to have reached a breaking point after the Roe v Wade repeal. And who can blame them? From how the Biden administration has reacted since the decision it comes across like they legitimately pretended the leak wasn't real.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/shiramstein/status/1545410452087242754

With every update about the Biden's administrations options wrt abortion rights and the choices they've made since the decision it sure feels demoralizing to watch, to say the least!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I know states of emergency give the President pretty wide powers to do like whatever to solve the emergency but do health emergencies work the same way? Like when the trigger laws or whatever they were called went into effect and abortion became illegal in those states would the emergency have let President Biden just say "actually it is still legal"? Use National Guards to keep the clinics open? Do we know?

The full article about it gives a few details about what abortion activists say can be done legally:

quote:

Had the federal government declared a public health emergency, Becerra’s department would have gained new powers for an indefinite period. For example, abortion rights advocates say Becerra could have ordered that medication abortion can be prescribed across state lines, or even moved to shield doctors from legal liability for performing abortions in states that outlaw the procedure.

Of course with SCOTUS the way it is, it likely wouldn't be permanent, but it would still help a lot of people in the meantime!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zachack posted:

To continue the sports analogy, if the other team has a 12-foot tall monster guarding the basket you don't send Steph Curry out there to attempt 3-pointers for two hours in the hopes that the guard suddenly shits himself, because you'd rather save Curry's energy and arms for a game they might win. At a certain point it's not worth the literal calories needed to do something, and you risk "damaging" (e.g. burnout, discouragement) good players by making them play into failure. There may be secondary benefits of doing it anyway (e.g. visibility) but it's not a simple choice of "roll 4d20 for saving throw" - someone's going to carry the ball and that person needs to eat and sleep.

In this sports analogy the fans are being told that they need to defeat the monster while the players aren't even on the court.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Just a theory of course but I'd think if your case to midterm voters was "we want to do good things but we don't quite have the force to push the ball over the goalline and you can change that" I would expect it to be a more compelling message if you're frequently putting yourself in positions to demonstrate this to the public. Continually trying and failing is at least a show of effort, intent, and will in comparison to preemptive surrender. Put another way, I think it is much easier to cheer for a team struggling to mount a comeback than it is for a team that won't try to mount a comeback until they've received sufficient cheering

Of course this all elides that the administration is observably willing to fight over issues it really wants, such as the ability to abuse public health laws to deport immigrants, which they did lose in court over, but kept fighting, filing injunctions, etc and kept the practice alive to the point that now they're being sued to keep it after they finally decided to end the policy. Just talking about the optics and whatnot

I like what AOC tweeted in the aftermath of the Roe ruling, which was basically that you can't just tell people to vote while asking them for money, you gotta tell them what your specific plans are and how you hope to achieve them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/NancyVu99/status/1547007379820216322?t=TEmlD2xsbZTAbtwWWOvZrQ&s=19

The Dems do not care about abortion rights. They willingly surrender any leverage they have on the issue because they do not care about women's right to choose.

Yeah they could have played hardball with this and dared republicans to vote against a defense bill but instead they decided they care more about "bipartisan support" than abortion rights huh.

If they can't even be bothered to fight for small victories like this, what hope is there for them to do anything substantial wrt abortion rights?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

This is some Obama-era thinking, imo. Without a doubt, the current GOP would absolutely vote against a defense bill and put all the blame on the Democrats, who (for the most part) do not actually want the defense bill to fail. It's not really the powerful leverage you're imagining it to be.

I do not think it's a powerful move to take, just that if they aren't gonna try to fight the small battles I don't have any hope for them fighting the big fights, y'know?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm no defender of Joe Biden but if this inflation and all these rising prices are happening everywhere - in practically every country - how come all I hear is that all of this is somehow Biden's fault? If it were only happening in the US then yeah but this is pretty much global.

It's pretty easy to blame the leader of one of the biggest economies in the world, though of course there are a lot of factors at work and he is but one of many.

Personally I wouldn't single him out for the inflation but I do blame him for not committing to doing more to help out the people getting hurt the most by rising prices.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

Well since they voted against one thing they must vote against everything. Checkmate I guess.

One extremely important thing that signals where they stand when it comes to helping out the working class. If they can't be counted on to pass a (woefully insufficient) minimum wage increase, I sure won't count on those specific senators to vote yes on other bills that could help out the working class to that degree.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Anyone just dismissing this out of hand is fooling themselves.

Yeah, it's one of so many warning signs that demographics aren't destiny, that dems gotta put in the effort to keep winning over Hispanic voters or they'll be losing more and more of them to the gop. Something that should be shouted from the rooftops but instead it's getting ignored.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

While I think that Trump would be a better matchup for Biden in 2024 than DeSantis (assuming Biden even runs), it's definitely important to consider how dire Biden's approval ratings have been.

Obviously anything can happen in the next two years (and by then I feel like Biden's numbers will be better than they are now because the supply chain will be ina better spot) but it seems safe to assume that "I'm not Trump" wouldn't be a winning strategy the second time around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Randalor posted:

So is this Garland just admitting the DOJ won't investigate Trump because Trump has all but said he's running for president again in 2024, or will common sense prevail and they'll actually investigate the actual attempt at an insurrection that happened on Jan 6th?

If nothing else it's confirmation that you won't be hearing anything about investigations prior to the midterms.

(Insert joke about how we probably won't be hearing anything at all, period)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I love having to counterargue nonsense from multiple mediated sources in multiple threads simultaneously.

You don't actually *have* to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

some plague rats posted:

I mean... the "old GOP" wanted exactly the same poo poo as the current one. Repealing Roe etc has been the objective from the moment it passed. They just haven't always been so loudly belligerent with it, which is why if you care about decorum more than action it seems like they've gotten more extreme. They're just saying the quiet part with more and more volume while their actions and beliefs remain completely unchanged.

Hell, there's a real good book called The Clothes Have No Emperor that chronicled a lot of daily poo poo happening during the Reagan administration and it really shows that the main difference between now and then is social media.

There's plenty of stuff in it which could be completely believable anecdotes about Trump if you swap some names around:

quote:

11/30/81

President Reagan tells a $2,500-per-ticket GOP fundraiser in Cincinnati about a letter he allegedly received from a blind supporter. "He wrote in Braille," the President claims, "to tell me that if cutting his pension would help get this country back on its feet, he'd like to have me cut his pension." The altruistic soul's identity is never revealed, leaving whoever is so inclined free to believe the story was made up.

This is the exact same energy as Trump's anecdotes about big strong men crying when talking to him about whatever bullshit he's trying to push.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh ok we're using MuellerSheWrote as a source. Yeah man, maybe he won't wiggle out of this one.

Yeah they are legitimately grifters and shouldn't be trusted. Not an accusation I'd make lightly but that's what they are!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone (especially for those that are trying to redefine the term) but we are officially in a recession now.

https://twitter.com/bencasselman/status/1552632896225255425

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Still not how recessions are legally defined. This hasn’t changed.

GDP has declined for two consecutive quarters. That's a recession.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

"A common definition of recession is two negative quarters of GDP growth, or at least that's something that's been true in past recessions," Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said on NBC’s "Meet the Press" on July 25. "So we could see that happen. And that will be closely watched. But I do want to emphasize: What a recession really means is a broad-based contraction in the economy. And even if that number is negative, we are not in a recession now."

Hm.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, and it's still not how it's legally defined, as all the articles I linked describe, including saying why the two quarter definition isn't adequate, where it comes from, and who and how the actual definition is applied.

Very well, I will amend my point and say it's 99.99% likely we're in a recession right now since all of the common recession factors are present.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There is no "legal definition" of a recession. There is no formal definition of a recession at all. A recession is declared "official" when a group of Very Important People say it is, and there are no explicit criteria for it, public or private. Consequently, everyone else on the planet has used the two-quarters rule as a convenient proxy, but there is now a full court press by the White House to point out that the government has never considered that official because it looks bad otherwise.

Heck, to put it another way, has there been a period of time in US history post-WWII where there was a recession without two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth? I am pretty sure there isn't but I haven't closely examined every single instance so it's possible I missed one!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We'd actually be looking for the opposite: a time where there was two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth without a recession. That would be a counterexample for when the rule-of-thumb has failed. I'm having a little trouble finding this broken down by quarter pre-2000 rather than annualized.

I was thinking of hunting for an instance where it the rule of thumb didn't trigger a warning but yeah you're right that would be a much better way to approach it.

I found some historical data that has a quarterly breakdown starting in 1948:

https://www.multpl.com/us-real-gdp-growth-rate/table/by-quarter

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Casselman has an example from 1947, but idk about afterward. Anyway the high council of economic wizards took 8 months to declare the '08 recession a recession and the federal reserve only raises the probability of a recession after a recession is occurring.

Employment is considered a lagging indicator too. If we take Powell at his word he and the fed believe the unemployment rate needs to start to rise.

There is a good chance q3 gdp is already baked in negative and y/y gdp will most likely end up negative. About the only thing to stop any of this is an actual infrastructure bill being passed.

After poking around the data I linked I saw that 2001 had a recession declared despite GDP growth not being negative for two consecutive quarters.

But also that seems like an understandably wild exception to the rule since 9/11 was a factor.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh I misread your post. You were looking for positive gdp quarters as recession.

Recession is also being backed up by housing numbers and fed activity gauges. There is just too much data out there saying recession is here.

I wound up looking for examples of positive GDP as recession and also negative GDP numbers without recession. But yeah, turns out the rule of thumb is a rule of thumb for a reason.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spiffster posted:

Until the FBI leaves with him in handcuffs I don’t think I will feel anything other then a malaise about all this. Until then he has a chance to come back and finish the job

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Hypocrisy is a feature not a bug for political parties and propaganda. The only purpose to pointing out hypocrisy is to sway the general public who aren’t diehards. The issue is that this tactic has been used so often that the public simply shrugs and says “both sides do it”.

The Republicans are doing the right thing and embracing the hypocrisy because it’s gotten them results.

Dems are, as typical, loving around in decorum poisoning and have lost major battles while celebrating the weakest victories.

The end goal should be the meaningful results. Everything else is just jerking around.

It’s how Republicans won the Supreme Court (and soon the entire country).

tbh if I genuinely believed that a politician would implement, say, M4A, I wouldn't give a dang how big of a hypocrite they were as long as they could do their best to deliver the goods.

Hypocrisy just ain't worth caring about.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rappaport posted:

The Perlstein trilogy has a fourth part now, Reaganland, though I haven't had the time to read it myself yet.

It's as good as expected. And a good companion piece to it is The Clothes Have No Emperor by Paul Slansky which is a must read for anyone that thinks Trump is some unique evil. It's full of anecdotes that could be easily mistaken for Trump administration anecdotes if the names were changed.

One of my favorites is Reagan giving a speech about how a blind man begged him to help save the American people by getting rid of pensions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Moktaro posted:

The head honcho of Kiwifarms is having as normal of one as you would expect.

Seriously, read this rant. https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1566771209928413186

I remember years ago (I wanna say at least 5, could be more) the KF owner said similar things and how the site couldn't continue to exist after it got some heat, etc. And then once the heat died down it was back. It'd be nice for that to not happen again this time around but I am not counting on it to stick at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Using lib as an epithet has been pretty common on the forums over the last couple of years though I think it's been overused so much it's falling out of favor.

It is definitely in no way a form of abuse, however.