Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oracle posted:

The other thing that's been on my mind lately is how we raise AMAB vs AFAB. We are not afraid to push AMAB kids to excel, noone warns them not to do too well or else they may alienate friends/the opposite sex, they're encouraged to excel and put sports ahead of everything else without fear of being seen as too manly, etc. So when an AMAB person transitions they don't have all that societal baggage AFAB competitors do. I'd be very curious as to what might happen if AFAB athletes were treated as such coming up. (we already see evidence that societal expectation affects performance in mathematics as an example, countries where its not considered a gendered skill have much higher rates of women in hard sciences/maths vs places where its considered an inherent weakness assigned to sex).

That's not always true for AMAB people and especially not AMAB people who entirely transition because being someone who eventually transitions is also an indicator that you didn't meet this societal expectations and your experiences when young are probably different from an AMAB person who probably was.

And really the effect of nurture in sports, especially with things like "how much encouragement did they get as a kid?" seems like it would be minimal enough to not really need to adjust things and pretty much impossible to adjust things to take it into account.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Push El Burrito posted:

But they also get heat vision as a trade off.

let's not, thanks

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Where do you get this idea? Transgender women much of the societal baggage of women, plus the baggage of being transgender.

My point is they weren't RAISED with it, which can affect how you train/learn.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's not always true for AMAB people and especially not AMAB people who entirely transition because being someone who eventually transitions is also an indicator that you didn't meet this societal expectations and your experiences when young are probably different from an AMAB person who probably was.
That's uncomfortably close to 'society made me be trans because I wasn't manly enough for it' which is not at all the case see e.g. 'feminine' homosexual males or 'butch' lesbians. There are plenty of 'butch' lesbian trans women who met societal expectations for being 'manly' but were STILL uncomfortable in their own skin and transitioned as a result, because they were women, regardless of their gender expression.

quote:

And really the effect of nurture in sports, especially with things like "how much encouragement did they get as a kid?" seems like it would be minimal enough to not really need to adjust things and pretty much impossible to adjust things to take it into account.
Nature vs. nurture seems to be about 50/50 even in studies of other behaviors.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oracle posted:

That's uncomfortably close to 'society made me be trans because I wasn't manly enough for it' which is not at all the case see e.g. 'feminine' homosexual males or 'butch' lesbians. There are plenty of 'butch' lesbian trans women who met societal expectations for being 'manly' but were STILL uncomfortable in their own skin and transitioned as a result, because they were women, regardless of their gender expression.

Nature vs. nurture seems to be about 50/50 even in studies of other behaviors.

No, just trying to explain that nature is also different for you based on how you feel you fit into your own gender role. it's not as clear cut as we encourage boys but don't encourage girls.

Like if we're going to make uncharitable assumptions about what we're uncomfortably close to you're getting uncomfortably close to arguments about how men transition into women just to steal opportunities from them.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 23, 2022

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I’m just glad even democrats are coming around to the idea that defunding the police was an awful decision. Living in a low income city in the northeast, nearly all of my friends and coworkers are black or Hispanic and I can’t think of a single one of them who believes we need less policing, not more.

Ironically, it’s the nearby lily-white college towns with very little crime of any sort where you hear that talk. Of course, you rarely see them come down here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Grouchio posted:

Does the recent SCOTUS ruling against New York's concealed carry law mean gun control of any kind (like the bill in the senate) is now dead in the water?

No.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ellasmith posted:

I’m just glad even democrats are coming around to the idea that defunding the police was an awful decision. Living in a low income city in the northeast, nearly all of my friends and coworkers are black or Hispanic and I can’t think of a single one of them who believes we need less policing, not more.

Ironically, it’s the nearby lily-white college towns with very little crime of any sort where you hear that talk. Of course, you rarely see them come down here.

Almost all the police abolitionists I know personally or follow online are black, so I guess it’s really about your filter bubble.

I’m not going to vote for more cops and I’m not going to vote for somebody who supports that. Cops are a net negative in the lives of the most vulnerable people in our society.

I can’t be bothered by people whose feelings cannot be moved by the suffering of the poor or the stark statistical realities of how much more safe they are than in previous decades. Pay no mind to the comfortable unless you’re stealing change from their couch cushions, imo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ellasmith posted:

Having the same experience, what I usually hear expressed is the want for better policing. The default assumption here is that they need more money to be better but in practice money doesn't actually lead to better policing. I don't expect voters to understand that but politicians should have the ability to understand how to actually get us to better police but seem to be failing.

No one here trusts the police, they just see it as the only option from something worse.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 23, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Personally, I think teachers are in greater need of that money
https://twitter.com/JizzelEtBass/status/1540017030497275905

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Grouchio posted:

Does the recent SCOTUS ruling against New York's concealed carry law mean gun control of any kind (like the bill in the senate) is now dead in the water?

It just changes New York's law from May Issue to Shall Issue.

In the former, you have to prove why you need to carry a gun, in the latter, the state has to prove why you can't. May Issue was typically used keep the "wrong" sort of people from having guns, which meant black people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
New York is preparing its legislative response to the new ruling.

quote:

Specifically, prior court precedent allows the restriction of guns in certain “sensitive places.” Hochul said she and lawmakers are discussing a measure that would clearly lay out a list of sensitive places where guns aren’t allowed. While the language is yet to be negotiated, Hochul said she wants to see the subway system on the list while also mentioning areas like schools and restaurants.

But Thomas’ written opinion already seemed to limit what the state can and can’t do with such restrictions. Specifically, he made clear New York City couldn’t just name an entire borough like Manhattan as a “sensitive place.”

“(T)here is no historical basis for New York to effectively declare the island of Manhattan a ‘sensitive place’ simply because it is crowded and protected generally by the New York City Police Department,” Thomas wrote.

Other measures Hochul said are under consideration include:

Changing the permitting process to require specific training in order to obtain a concealed-carry permit.

Allowing businesses and private property owners to “protect themselves” by prohibiting concealed weapons on their grounds.

https://gothamist.com/news/new-york-lawmakers-drafting-new-gun-control-laws-in-response-to-supreme-court

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Personally, I think teachers are in greater need of that money
https://twitter.com/JizzelEtBass/status/1540017030497275905
Abrams has also explicitly stated that higher teacher pay is a priority.

https://twitter.com/staceyabrams/status/1536054924282314752

I'm threadbanned so I'll take a probe; I just thought it was important to note.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Oracle posted:

My point is they weren't RAISED with it, which can affect how you train/learn.

That's not necessarily true at all, especially if you're transgender.

Consider that your assumptions might be wrong before you start going off on them.

ellasmith posted:

I'm generally the whitest person and one of the few whites in my justice and police reform activism groups. All of the leadership and speakers are black and brown.

If you personally have issues with the concept, I'd recommend you frame it that way because your personal radius may not be universal.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Anyone can go back to the 2020 Democratic platform and see that "defund the police" was not a decision the party as a whole endorsed in any meaningful way, nor is it something they are just now coming around to rejecting. More investment in what the party deems to be the right kind of police activity is and has been the mainstream position in the party. The closest they came to suggesting they'd defund anything were the bits about ending use of private prisons and sale of military surplus to police departments.

Their problem is that this is an issue affecting Democratic strongholds where they can't blame systemic problems on Republicans, where good policy is often bad politics, and where their opponents will continue to say they're radical activists regardless of what they do.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

ellasmith posted:

Same as it ever was.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 23, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1540035794160730113

If you or a family member has been exposed to communist death rays, you may be entitled to compensation.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

cat botherer posted:

If you or a family member has been exposed to communist death rays, you may be entitled to compensation.

Does lurking this thread count? I could use some cash.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

Does lurking this thread count? I could use some cash.

depends. have you ever woken up with a raging headache, lingering nausea, and little memory of what happened the night before after going out drinking on a work night?

still the funniest goddamn thing that the first recorded case of Havana Syndrome was exactly that

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cat botherer posted:

Going to stick my head in the microwave for a minute than pretend I got it, fool proof plan

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I will be getting a disability placard for Havana syndrome

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

No one here trusts the police, they just see it as the only option from something worse.

If someone is drowning and I throw them a length of barb wire, they're probably going to grab onto it despite the pain. Doesn't mean that they actually like grabbing onto barb wire, or that the people who want me to replace all my barb wire with life preservers are privileged idiots.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The police are not helpful.

I have a hard time imagining what pro-police people think the police in their current incarnations actually do. Because police rarely stop crime in progress or recovery lost property and those are the two things people imagine them doing the most. What things are police helping with, I am genuinely curious.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Mendrian posted:

I have a hard time imagining what pro-police people think the police in their current incarnations actually do. Because police rarely stop crime in progress or recovery lost property and those are the two things people imagine them doing the most. What things are police helping with, I am genuinely curious.

Like most reactionary positions, it is not based on facts or statistics. They believe the fantasy that cops are heroes that protect them from the evils lurking in the world.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In the previous iteration of this thread I discussed a bill, the FDASLA (aka FDA Safety and Landmark Advancements Act), that includes provisions that will improve regulation of dietary supplements (thereby seriously undercutting groups like the alt-right, antivaxxers, Dr. Oz, and Alex Jones). The bill is going to pass the Senate with these provisions (and calls from the public played a role in that), but it is not clear that the House will support these dietary supplement provisions in the final version.

If you'd like the antivaxx movement or groups like the alt-right to lose a major source of funding, please contact your House of Representatives member and tell them you want the dietary supplement provisions from the senate version of the FDASLA bill in the final version. This is especially important if the Representative is on the House House Energy and Commerce Committee, which is the one handling the bill.

Context: this is a bill that has to pass every 5 years (it reauthorizes basic drug approval systems for FDA), so the inclusion of mandatory product registration requirements for dietary supplements is a critical chance to actually get these products regulated. This bill would make supplement companies send FDA their product information and label. That information goes into a public database (basically a public supplement registry), and FDA can instantly seize and stop supplements that aren't in that system. (It also means FDA will actually know what products are even on the market, since right now there's zero premarket approval or scrutiny for supplements) The short version is that the bill will let FDA crush fake Covid cures and other scam products much, much faster. The bill also includes a massive reform expansion of regulations on cosmetics products.

The politics involved are complicated, but the short version is that it's worth making this call no matter what party they are a part of or where you live. This doesn't fall along the usual partisan or even industry lines, and hearing even a single call or email of public support could actually change whether this happens.

Talking points:

Here's the author of a similar bill talking about the need for supplement listing: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ynKOZAVMrzxR

You can mine the video for talking points(it's a good watch), but some basic starters:
  • Always say you use supplements, and you want to feel like they're safe and better regulated...and that you want them to support provisions in the bill that will create a mandatory dietary supplement listing system.
  • Saying you want a more transparent market or want to be able to know what you're taking is what it says it is, is also a good line with most senators.
  • If the Rep is a Republican, talk about creating a "stable, free market for supplements made here in America" and in particular, say that you are always worried about foreign drugs (you can say Chinese or Russian, if you want) getting imported and dumped on the market as supplements.
  • if they're a Dem, it may be effective to say that you know there were a lot of fake Covid cures labeled as supplements, and you think this could help clean things up- and boost trust in vaccines, too.

Cunningham offered some more general info about contacting a congressional office:

cunningham posted:

My own comments (as one who routinely communicates with congressional staffers):
1. Be succinct. Staffers have limited time and get dozens (sometimes hundreds) of requests per day. Be short, sweet, to the point.
2. Have an "ask." It's one thing to say, "this sucks, you should fix it!" It's another to say, "this sucks, here is how you can fix it." That's why I asked about whether there was a bill to support, and what language you would like to see in it.

If you would like more specific info, context, or talking points for a particular office, PM me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mendrian posted:

Most entertainment and news gives a completely inaccurate view of the realities of policing.

People are mostly assuming that fictional TV shows and movies are reality.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
please don't pretend to be a bigot to get a bill passed, even if dealing with republicans

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

World Famous W posted:

please don't pretend to be a bigot to get a bill passed, even if dealing with republicans

China and Russia are, in fact, two major sources of drugs that are illegally sent to the US and repackaged as supplements. China is the largest source for these by a mile.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

World Famous W posted:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Discendo Vox posted:

China and Russia are, in fact, two major sources of drugs that are illegally sent to the US and repackaged as supplements. China is the largest source for these by a mile.

quote:

If the Rep is a Republican, talk about creating a "stable, free market for supplements made here in America" and in particular, say that you are always worried about foreign drugs (you can say Chinese or Russian, if you want) getting imported and dumped on the market as supplements.
don't be lovely

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Seriously why are you advocating aping straight up bigotry, that's hosed up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

tragically evergreen observation: any time liberals are subjected to stress from the right, they move in a predictable direction.

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/796229362643152896?lang=en

i was expecting it to start really kicking off in November, but I guess the supreme court's got everyone on edge enough that the stress response is already starting to show up.

it makes a certain degree of sense as a way to reconcile 1. the system is being used by republicans to inflict horrible things on the weak 2. the system is still worth my support. if you can persuade yourself that the targets of conservative ire have it coming in some sense- that the gays cost Kerry 2004, that the youngs cost Hillary 2016, or the mexicans cost Joe Biden the majority he needed in 2020, to cite three cases in living memory- then you can tell yourself that their being punished is not a sign that the system must be changed, but instead that the system is actually functioning as designed.

it's a way to make internalizing conservative framing feel like One Weird Trick To Outflank The Right as opposed to unconditionally surrendering.

be aware of this tendency, and attempt to fight it where possible. it is not going to get any less attractive over the coming several years.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Discendo Vox provided an argument for why mentioning China or Russia would be directly relevant (they are the main sources of drugs repackaged as supplements). The framing of his suggestion for talking to Republicans is to push "made in America" in contrast to foreign drugs, which is a nationalistic sentiment. If you have a GOP representative and don't want to use that approach, don't.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

Discendo Vox provided an argument for why mentioning China or Russia would be directly relevant (they are the main sources of drugs repackaged as supplements). The framing of his suggestion for talking to Republicans is to push "made in America" in contrast to foreign drugs, which is a nationalistic sentiment. If you have a GOP representative and don't want to use that approach, don't.

i would go so far as to say that if you consider bigotry an inherent evil that should not be encouraged, rather than a clever way to trick republicans into listening to you, you should not attempt to use it as such!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i would go so far as to say that if you consider bigotry an inherent evil that should not be encouraged, rather than a clever way to trick republicans into listening to you, you should not attempt to use it as such!

Bigotry isn't against the rules in d&d.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mischievous Mink posted:

Bigotry isn't against the rules in d&d.

nor is it against the rules to use to lobby republicans! one can -absolutely- make the choice to embrace bigotry in the hopes it will make republicans go along with your personal agenda.

recently this has not gone great, c.f. all the cooperation from republicans the child-caging operations at the border bought first Obama, then Biden, but who knows! maybe NEXT time democrats will be able to find the precise amount of untermenschen blood that will make Mitch McConnell willing to work with them! hope springs eternal, evidently.

if it worked, it would still be an effort to do an evil thing with which I whole-heartedly disagree; it is just icing on the cake that it ALSO has an unbroken history of failure.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Fritz the Horse posted:

The only reason this seems reasonable is that we are propagandized to consider bigotry against foreign countries to not be that big of a deal. We all would rightfully consider falsely claiming to support racist or queerphobic beliefs, even from a pragmatic perspective, to be hosed up, and these xenophobic attitudes are part and parcel of the same wellspring of bigotry

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden considering supporting some measures to reduce gas prices, but basically all of them are destined to go nowhere.

- Biden is considering supporting a federal gas tax holiday (current federal gas tax is ~18 cents per gallon), but the effort is likely dead in Congress.

- Biden is considering supporting sending out gas rebate cards, but the effort is likely dead in Congress and, even if it wasn't dead in Congress, they don't know if there are enough chips available to send gas cards to everyone due to the current chip shortage.

- He is calling the heads of all the major gas companies to the White House to meet with staff "so I can get an explanation of how they justify making $35 billion in the first quarter" and because he wants "an explanation from them on why they aren't refining more oil." Says he is ruling out meeting them personally, though. There's very few options the U.S. can do to lower gas prices and this is most likely a publicity stunt to look like he is trying and is not going to lead to any meaningful change in prices. Even if U.S. refining was the one thing keeping global oil prices high (it is not), it would still take multiple years to expand refining and extraction capacity.

The latest student loan info:

- Biden will announce his student loan cancellation plan sometime near the end of July or August.

- Details aren't finalized, but it will likely be $10,000 flat forgiveness for everyone as a base. Modifications they are considering:

1) Increasing the amount forgiven for lower-income debtors with high balance loans.
2) Excluding people who have been in the top 3% of incomes (~$313,000 per year) for the last 3 years in a row.
3) Asking Congress to authorize the Secretary of Education to waive interest on existing loans and issue no interest student loans (not going anywhere in congress).

- Student loan pause that expires in September likely to be extended at least one more time until 2023.

Also, Biden didn't explicitly say that BBB negotiations are totally dead, but said that he is very confident that they can get price caps on insulin, reductions in Medicare costs, and "some" investments in renewable energy passed before the election. He said negotiations are currently underway for those and nothing is happening regarding a larger BBB right now.

Seems to indicate that they are taking the drug pricing and some renewable provisions out of BBB, trying to pass them together via reconciliation before the election, and letting the rest of it die for good.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1538968941644636161
https://www.businessinsider.com/student-loan-forgiveness-decision-near-biden-pause-extension-on-table-2022-6

Well we could nationalize our oil sector, but thats just me being salty that at least 22 of the 70 it takes to fill my car is going to the yach fund of an oil baron just because gently caress the consumers.

E: as to china and fakes, its a huge problem that you can basically make and sell anything for export. So you end up with whats essentially industrial waste or surplus re-manufactured or packaged for export and it just naturally lands in pork barrel protected snake oil because its the least regulated market. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7TwBUxxIC0. Problem being we know the CCP comes down like a hammer if you sell that crap domestic to china so its kinda blatant how it just lets it get exported.

Thats not to say that this kinda poo poo doesn't happen with domestic supplements too its just that they tend to get raided and shut down instead of being able to buy a new batch of labels and keep going. Secondarily you have fly by night ops buying poo poo they don't understand and pressing or rebottling import bulk generic medicine in the US.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 24, 2022

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The president and what Congress (and what Supreme Court) would nationalize an industry? Congress won’t even do a gas tax holiday, which granted, would be symbolic but that never stopped them before.

Edit: Even if he tried some defense production act stuff, how is that different from “drill baby drill”?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Mendrian posted:

I often hear this, but I rarely see anyone claim what their wording means nor any studies/sources supplied with it. So, for you, how is "helpful" defined? What does "rarely" mean? And are you referring to any crime? Or does some crime get a higher priority than others?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2022