Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Nothing sums up the Republican ethos as Ted Cruz describing "being a gamer" as someone who buys all the micro-transactions and doesn't actually play the game.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1539058659304546304?s=20&t=KzGb1rVL-8HfWbfJbTgiiA

Ted Cruz is a whale lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mustang posted:

In what universe does DeSantis look "moderate"? I don't think you can wage the culture wars to give red meat to their base of degenerates and still claim any semblance of moderation.

calm hitler.jpg

He bleats about parental rights and just asks questions and 'save the children' and the fig leaves are just enough for barely tuned in suburbanties to be able to nod sagely and go 'he sounds reasonable.'

Same way Youngkin won Virginia.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also Trump may be the one person dumb / vain / greedy enough to attempt a 3rd party run after losing the primary, even if he’s not allowed on tons of ballets due to sore loser laws.

If he can sink the person who “steals” the nomination from him and grift the hell out of the race he will 100% do it. Hell he may even brag about it during the primary to try and bully his way to the top.

I can absolutely 100% see him trying to pull this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God let’s hope that Iowa being kicked out of first place starts killing corn subsidies.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Who do you think then? To my eyes, we don't have much of a deep bench to draw from. I don't see anyone we can run that would excite anybody and am hard pressed to think of a name.

Pritzker is the one that's doing the tours of NE states like New Hampshire and he's quite popular in Illinois.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Katie Ledecky did it almost 10 seconds faster literally 5 years ago, and is built in what some would consider a more "masculine" body type than Lia, and she is cis.

Lia is mainly notable because she worked really hard and won an event.

The other thing that's been on my mind lately is how we raise AMAB vs AFAB. We are not afraid to push AMAB kids to excel, noone warns them not to do too well or else they may alienate friends/the opposite sex, they're encouraged to excel and put sports ahead of everything else without fear of being seen as too manly, etc. So when an AMAB person transitions they don't have all that societal baggage AFAB competitors do. I'd be very curious as to what might happen if AFAB athletes were treated as such coming up. (we already see evidence that societal expectation affects performance in mathematics as an example, countries where its not considered a gendered skill have much higher rates of women in hard sciences/maths vs places where its considered an inherent weakness assigned to sex).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Where do you get this idea? Transgender women much of the societal baggage of women, plus the baggage of being transgender.

My point is they weren't RAISED with it, which can affect how you train/learn.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's not always true for AMAB people and especially not AMAB people who entirely transition because being someone who eventually transitions is also an indicator that you didn't meet this societal expectations and your experiences when young are probably different from an AMAB person who probably was.
That's uncomfortably close to 'society made me be trans because I wasn't manly enough for it' which is not at all the case see e.g. 'feminine' homosexual males or 'butch' lesbians. There are plenty of 'butch' lesbian trans women who met societal expectations for being 'manly' but were STILL uncomfortable in their own skin and transitioned as a result, because they were women, regardless of their gender expression.

quote:

And really the effect of nurture in sports, especially with things like "how much encouragement did they get as a kid?" seems like it would be minimal enough to not really need to adjust things and pretty much impossible to adjust things to take it into account.
Nature vs. nurture seems to be about 50/50 even in studies of other behaviors.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Randalor posted:

Get hosed Collins, you knew exactly what was going to happen. Unless you're going to call for removing them from the bench or expanding the court, you're not feeling sorry at all.

If she was really sorry she'd resign her seat because her judgement is proven to be utter poo poo when it comes to evaluating people lying to her face.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sephyr posted:

"We only had 3 months of majority! We only had 2 months of warning that roe was doomed!"

Think of what the GOP achieved just this week. Religious schools stuck on the public money pipeline. State gun laws nixed from above. Abortion ended.

And.....

-drum roll-

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1540339880626102273

Oh for fucks sake…

All that did not just happen this week, you just found out about the decisions this week because that’s when they were released. Those decisions are the culmination of decades of deliberate action which yes, included a shitton of voting red.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Find out if leaving the country is an option for themselves, and if not then they should arm themselves (as a means of self defense) and organize with their local community.

I will note, interestingly enough, that Germany passed a law in 2021 to allow (with a shitton of stipulations) someone whose ancestors never claimed foreign citizenship after immigrating between a set period of time to apply for retroactive citizenship that was lost due to either race discrimination (Jews stripped of citizenship) or sex discrimination (a woman marrying a man of another country automatically lost her citizenship). There are a ton of caveats and other stipulations depending on the degree so you'd have to go here to read up on it but yeah its possible to get German citizenship until 2029 if you actually do qualify and can prove it with documentation. You can find lots of help in the germancitizenship reddit group as well.
You can find info about getting other countries citizenship here.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rigel posted:

There are a lot of governors who are not going to step aside for Harris. It will be a real fight if Biden bows out, and he might even have a real challenger if he does not like Carter did with as unpopular as he is.

Pritzker's already testing the waters and not waiting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rigel posted:

I came up with two possible interpretations, both of them bad. Either "eh no reason to go through a lot of work and effort on this because if we win a resounding victory then we just vote our rights back into place in congress." Or possibly, "uhhh, lets calm down the rhetoric about Biden taking bold action, that might hurt some Senate races. We'll do stuff later, trust me". Even if either explanation is true, you don't loving say that out loud where people can write it down and report it.

Or it could be 'we're focusing all our attention on retaining the Senate so Republicans don't get hold of both House and Senate.' Either way, yeah its ridiculous that they're just concentrating on elections and not still trying to do poo poo with what power they have.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

Who the hell has free university??

Germany, for one. (You do have to pay room and board, but can apply for assistance with that, as well).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

I remember pre-2016 discussions along the lines of "what would the secret service do if one candidate physically attacked another?" and I guess it's comforting to know the SS has no problem corralling or restraining a president for their own good

Oh if you read Cheney's accounts of 9/11 he'll mention that when the Secret Service told him it was time evacuate the White House, his feet didn't touch the floor much, they literally carried his fat old rear end to the bunker toot sweet and were not brooking opposition.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ershalim posted:

It would be delicious, in the sort of way that one imagines brimstone is delicious, if what we got from all of this were actual legitimate charges against a former president only for Joe "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden to pardon him a la Ford to Nixon.

I think that would have to be the outcome of a true "the former president did actual verifiable crimes" result, since without the senate to hold the justice system back by impossible-to-reach impeachment standards, it's the only way to keep up the pretenses that our justice system can function in any sort of egalitarian way. The system can say "this was a bad thing, and the former president was bad to do it," but the president can't be allowed to go to prison or the truly powerful would feel at risk; either the committee must absolve him, or the current president (or I guess the next one, if it takes long enough to get there) will have to pardon him.

I would love to be wrong about this, but the very idea that this country could ever put a former president, even a loathsome wretch like this one, in prison is just ... beyond my imagination.

This is pants on head stupid. Biden has already taken the unprecedented step of stating that executive privilege doesn't extend to previous holders of the office and had it upheld by the Supreme Court. That was also unheard of before Trump. The man excels at pissing off the establishment to the point of actually doing the right thing just to nail his horrible rear end to the wall. He is single-handedly doing more to trash the idea of decorum and tradition than every wanna-be revolutionary in America could ever dream of, because he is just that bad.

Also Ford was a fellow Republican and was expressly appointed to the office to pardon Nixon. Biden... not so much.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

I wonder how long President DeSantos would take before pardoning Trump?

1. its DeSantis and 2. Depends on how badly Trump rips him a new one in the preceding months.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In the primary (except for her brief two week surge up to 15-20% in the polls), her support came primarily from black women with above average education between the ages of 25 - 50. So, young-ish to middle-aged black women with some college or a college degree.

Definitely this population, I cannot tell you how many 'sorors' were all over Kamala in my fb feed.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm of the opinion that you need a person like Huey Long who is willing to do morally questionable things in the advancement of a leftist ideology. I do not think politics is fair or moral and is strictly about power at any costs and thus requires a degree of corruption and strong personalities to carry the whole movement forward. There never would've been a Bolshevik takeover of Russia without Lenin's single-minded and relentless pursuit of political power. We need a guy like that here, who has the salesmanship skills to steal many of the people we ideologically despise right here in this thread. Because the ancestors of those same people were out there agitating for labor rights and new deal era policies during the depression and then we lost them in the 1970s to Reagan.
Welcome to the Illinois Democratic Party. (Also Reagan was the 80s).
Unfortunately the reason we lost a lot of 'those people' was racism, same reason we're losing them now. (just for fun check out where Reagan made his announcement to run for President in 1979)

Oracle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 29, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

How do you get much more polarized short of open warfare, dude. COME ON.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

there's a joke somewhere about bernie being the only person who remembers pete is actually part of the administration

I wonder if he's still pissy about Pete dropping out. I mean his supporters would never have gone Bernie anyway they were a bunch of 2nd wave feminists over 55 who liked that he was one of those nice clean cut non-threatening gays that made them feel all hip and progressive to support and the older technocrat crowd who leaned more conservative but fiscally, not socially.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Bill Clinton's Third Way politics infesting every corner of Democratic policy-making, the insistence on bipartisanship and reaching across the aisle no matter how many times you get burned, is literally going to be the end of American democracy

That goes back to Lincoln and his 'team of rivals' my dude, that isn't Clinton.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

God struck down Onan for pulling out. Of course contraception is forbidden. You're trying to circumvent the will of God.

It really pisses them off when you point out that its a pretty lovely omnipotent god who can impregnate a virgin but not manage to get some sperm through a condom/birth control.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Strange way to refer to Ketanji Brown Jackson, but if the net effect is the same I'll allow it.

She's already nominated and approved, there's nothing to do here but swear her in at the retirement party.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I gotta believe this poll is an outlier until I see another one.

Interestingly, the Q poll has historically been getting far more negative results for Biden than other polls (and it still shows Biden's approval at a new low for the poll) and is generally more favorable to Democratic congressional candidates. Abrams and Kemp are tied for Governor, so the surge seems to be entirely around Warnock and not other Democrats. That gives it a little more credibility since the result isn't entirely due to a sampling error.

Warnock seems to be edging ahead not because of a specific policy, but because a majority of people dislike Hershel Walker personally and think he is dishonest, not a good communicator, doesn't have good leadership skills, and doesn't care about regular Georgians.

I'm sure that Warnock and GA Dems are praying for another 2014 where they should have been totally wiped out, but a few terrible Republican nominees for Senate managed to sabotage easy wins in Red states.

Need to see another poll from a different pollster to confirm if this is a real surge or not, though.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1542207588321955840

Hershel Walker really is that bad. Like the man cannot string two sentences together coherently, a new illegitimate kid pops up every week, he stands for absolutely nothing that anyone can ascertain other than 'the Republicans put me up here' and while that might be a hard but palatable pill for your average blood red Republican to swallow, he's also black, and only white men can be utterly without merit and excel in the current system.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/KirbyWTweets/status/1542172346596859904

So our choice in Florida will be the altar boy Rubio or Judge Dredd cosplay Demings.

Hey we also had a black cop run for public office in Illinois - she's even a lesbian! Lori Lightfoot.

She is also trash and has public approval near 30% because she sucks that much.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

B B posted:

He agreed to debate Warnock. I can't imagine that not being hilarious.

I'd say he'll pull out at the last minute, but he seems to be bad at that, too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the-only-moral-abortion-is-my-abortion/

I suspect you may have already read this, but here are a load of anecdotes from people working at abortion clinics about "pro-life" people desperately getting abortions.

It's from 2000, though. I wonder how much the data and stories have changed since then.

There was an updated one where they outright tell doctors they're going to hell (after they perform the abortion, of course) but the rest of it still sounds exactly the same. 'The only moral abortion is my abortion.'

The mean vindictive part of me wants to say that since this SCOTUS decided a right to privacy isn't in the Constitution therefore Roe v Wade is moot, that so is the right to private medical records and clinics should just release all the anti-abortion protestors that came in for an abortion's info.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He decided to get on the roof of a building and shoot 34 people in a middle class to wealthy suburb of Chicago that is 86% white. So, weird decision if it was a racial hate crime.

His dad apparently ran for mayor of the town in 2019.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I'm not at all familiar with the area the shooting took place in. But maybe it's a heavily "liberal" area?

It is solid blue yes. Very wealthy area too, was founded as a place for Chicago men of industry to have lake houses and grew from there. Significant Jewish population.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Huh. Well that’s certainly unexpected.

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinberg/status/1544377749309165569?s=21&t=PUOQM9c6SfnRmMwNoWtrfg

These aren’t congressional subpoenas either.

Wonder if they were on a conference call.

Also is the Georgia AG appointed or elected?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Elected; the current one was appointed to fill a vacancy, then ran in and won election. He's up for reelection this year.

Oof. He better finish up before November.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

This is extremely unlikely to be anything; these are National Research Program (NRP) audits and they work through an entirely different selection process than investigative ones. I struggle to conceive of any way for the commissioner to find a way to target anyone for any kind of audit, given the layers of procedure and bureaucracy now in place at the IRS. The likelihood is also not represented accurately by the article, because although the specifics aren't public, NRP audit selection uses a stratified sample that also probably increases sampling for areas that the IRS is considering increasing overall enforcement. Both men may have been selected because they had high income, used a particular investment vehicle, recently left federal service, or some combination of those- or any number of other factors, individually or as a pair.

The specific details of the audits are also, you know, just how an audit is conducted. Where a for cause audit normally requests substantiating information for particular flagged parts of the taxpayer's return, NRP audits require substantiation be provided for everything on the return.

The main takeaway I'm getting from the article is that Comey needs a better accountant, and should've documented actual office expenses.

So you're saying dogs can't play basketball?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Ban him now you cowards

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Probably none right now. California has the advantage of being huge, having a massive economy, and basically being a one party state, so they can get things done when they want to.

Vermont or Massachusetts would likely be it if they didn't have weird obsessions with voting in left-wing legislatures and moderate Republican Governors.

Hawaii, New Jersey, or Washington state are probably the most left-wing current state governments that aren't California; depending on what issues you prioritize.

And once again you coastal fucks completely forget about Illinois, which has had a supermajority blue state assembly since 2012 (with a slight blip) and been under Democratic control since 2002 and reliably voted Democratic for president since Clinton. The Big Three Dem strongholds are considered California, New York, and Illinois. Hell we just repealed our parental notification of abortion act before Dodds came down which I think was the last abortion law on the books. Which is good because we are surrounded by a sea of chuds and those women are going to need a place to run.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Time for some game theory 1/246

We already know that Ginni Thomas is knee deep in this. It's not bad info but it's a very red string between the pictures on a closet wall vibe.

Read the thread. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1546598480055001090.html

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're both pretty bad, but car salesmen tend to be more viscerally unpleasant, while realtors are closer to the dead-eyed failchildren who have the easiest jobs in the world.

There's also the fact that while owning a house is not something everyone does, owning a car in America is nigh necessary and usually the most expensive thing most people will ever buy (barring being able to buy a house).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

DV I know this but there are ways that the Biden Admin can basically prioritize everything but Machin's poo poo using rulemaking and granting. Hell, Manchin is concerned about it clearly. So, gently caress that and gently caress him. Vote my way or I keep your poo poo in limbo.

This. Time for hardball. gently caress Manchin, his word is worth poo poo. Worst case scenario you don't get what you weren't going to get anyway if you gave it to him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I've specifically been hearing these stories a lot about Walgreens. I dunno if those stores are more common in certain areas where things are more republican, or if that chain itself has something systemic going on, or both, but atm it seems like avoid them if possible. Of course that's not a solution, but you gotta do what you can to get safe healthcare.

They have the most market penetration. They're everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Eradicated locally. We didn't eliminate it globally. People haven't been vaccinating for polio for a while if I recall correctly. Hopefully it doesn't become a thing again, but it seems unlikely.

I think you’re confusing smallpox and polio. Kids still get polio vaccinations as a matter of course.