Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FlamingLiberal posted:

As expected, SCOTUS takes another hammer blow at the Establishment Clause

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1539254884670877696?s=21&t=aSXY0NvaHzheX594Y8uCSQ

Sotomayor calls it for what it is at least.

https://twitter.com/davidjoachim/status/1539258332564885505

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
former Florida candidate for Governor Andrew Gillum was indicted today for campaign fraud.

https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/status/1539618246147579905

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

noteworthy poll for the current discussion.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1539632046250786816

Desantis can probably dethrone Trump, but Trump will burn him alive in the process.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Colorado should be in the first 5 for sure. We're a trifecta blue state in the middle of a sea of red.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does Colorado or Washington have better regional fair food that is disgusting, but people have to pretend to like because locals insist it is actually great?

World Famous W posted:

all fair food is good and to pretend otherwise marks you as a traitor of the working class

:hmmyes: or diabetic.

We have all the standard fair food, lots of craft beer, and even more weed. Our airport is likely central to the Illuminati's plans of world domination and it is protected by a giant blue demon horse with red eyes named Blucifer. Blucifer murdered his creator only to be displayed as a warning to others that dare wander into the weird depths of the airport.

There's also a weird regional game called cornholing that everyone loves for some reason where you throw a beanbag into a board with holes in it while drinking lots.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

That's a perfectly acceptable Italian appetizer made mobile. Whatever state is responsible for this deserves a seat at the table imgo*

(not a typo, the g = Gabbagoolean)

That would be called a Caprese kabob in the west. Tomato with mozzarella and basil is basically a side dish. they even drizzled some balsamic and olive oil on there for you.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

A single hot dog is now $4,000

That one Arrested Development banana joke hits a little different when a banana is actually $10

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1540348734533296128

fugitive slave laws are back on the menu boys.

anyone that isn't for court expansion or getting rid of it entirely at this point can get hosed

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

haveblue posted:

A few blue states have already passed laws declaring they will not cooperate with out-of-state requests in these areas. Should be some fun court (and non-court) battles in the future

just wait until they make a federal ban, then the feds will just ignore state law! My bet is that red-state cops will have no qualms about crossing into blue states to rough some abortionists up. It's probably a matter of time until we have actual militias from red states going into blue states to citizens arrest providers.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cimber posted:

I wonder though if there is a silver lining. Abortion was pretty much the thing that held a lot of the various conservative groups together. With that gone are we now going to see the high water mark of modern American Conservatism? Will the big tent republicans start fracturing?

No, because now they can go after a federal ban, same-sex marriage, interracial marriage, hell they would probably try to take away women's suffrage at this point.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

honestly the best thing you can do for yourself if you live in a red state is loving leave.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Every election is the most important election of our lifetime.

I really don't understand why this talking point bothers people. Every election is the most important because it is the one happening currently in a deteriorating government. The election determines the outcomes of multiple things in the next several years and beyond. The fact that each election is the most important seems self evident.

I wish we lived in a country with boring elections that didn't really matter because all the choices were decent. That ain't reality however.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

It annoys people because it’s used in support of a party that manifestly does not represent the interests of its voters.

Sure but that doesn't mean the election isn't important, just that one party says it and doesn't actually follow through with the rhetoric.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

Lots of people are replying to me "we shoot and imprison and put people in concentration camps now with electoral politics, therefore what's the difference?"

The difference is either we do electoral politics or we have a civil war, pick your poison.

There's a quote that I can't find the source for but it goes something like

When republicans feel voting won't get them what they want they will abandon democracy

They have already abandoned democracy and the civil war is almost baked in at this point. The only way to avoid it would be to abandon the filibuster and pass massive voting protection laws. When the fascists take federal power they will only consolidate it even more, and feel more brazen about breaking with public opinion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like the civil war has basically already started. Human rights have just been denied to half of this country and those who protest are having tear gas canisters shot at them. It only gets worse from here.

It's very much a cold civil war, but it is predominantly being waged on the poor and non white communities. The fascists know they can exclude the wealthy and white for the most part and they won't do anything to upset the status quo.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1540733524315148289

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

There are other ways the democrats could be fighting against the courts. They could limit their jurisdiction to certain issues. They could literally take away their staff. There are options.

https://twitter.com/KBAndersen/status/1541054146626965504

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Also Hillary keeps trying to manufacture her come back in some pretty obvious ways.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1541389145293131776

If Biden doesn't run in 24 I fully expect her to run and try to clear the field again with some coordination with the DNC. It will not be fun.

Also the start of John Oliver's show last night might have been lifted directly from this thread. It was a bit refreshing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kalit posted:

:confused: How does Juan Williams, a Fox News analyst, writing an op-ed mean this? Are you suggesting that Hillary convinced Juan to write this? Or because Juan references a handful of random interviews she's given, which almost all ex-politicians do? Or some other thing in that op-ed?

I really don't understand how you've reached this conclusion...

It's a general comment on the number of media pieces in general that have been shoehorning her into discussions and her voicing her opinion on national policy matters to media figures. I doubt she is puppet mastering Juan Williams. She is however using her connections to get her name and opinion in the news. Maybe it's just her being vocal but I also think she has a mind to run again.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

This seems bad and reflects what a lot of posters here are saying as well. I'm genuinely not surprised.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-presidential-e50db07385831e67f866ec45402be8b9

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP in warning for Dems

WASHINGTON (AP) — A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party’s gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press. The previously unreported number reflects a phenomenon that is playing out in virtually every region of the country — Democratic and Republican states along with cities and small towns — in the period since President Joe Biden replaced former President Donald Trump.

But nowhere is the shift more pronounced — and dangerous for Democrats — than in the suburbs, where well-educated swing voters who turned against Trump’s Republican Party in recent years appear to be swinging back

“It’s more so a rejection of the left than embracing the right,” said Smith, a 37-year-old professional counselor whose transition away from the Democratic Party began five or six years ago when he registered as a libertarian.

How many are doing it to vote in the GOP primary because the democrats aren't running anyone? In my red part of Colorado the democrats basically don't run anyone for many positions, and if I want any say I have to vote on the GOP ballot for primaries.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

post roe laws already affecting access to medical contraception.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1542165563283210242

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1542159111827210241?t=yrEALbFdkOXusr3AlObHzw&s=19
The usa is reportedly producing 12 million bpd too. So much demand destruction will be needed before this happens in october. I'm in awe of what may be coming.

Ae people just flush with cash and using git to drive everywhere? Man, it sure would have been a great video to goose the electric car market 10 years ago.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

The flush with cash comment is coming from a good number of polled Americans saying their personal financial situation is good, but their view of the economy is bad. The general question was why demand was up.

Lets at least hope the economic cost of oil might actually push some renewables into competitive pricing. Shifting the transportation industry away from oil as quickly as possible seems like a better idea every day.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

tHeRe aReN't aNy vAcAnCiEs...

https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1542866316285120514

maybe we shouldn't be approving judges like this :hmmyes:

I'm sure everyone that said this wasn't a bad thing because there weren't any vacancies will now feel bad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cimber posted:

You mean...politicing and horse trading to get what you want? Giving away something of little value to get something of greater value? Working the system?

How dare Biden do that.

What greater value was achieved here?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cimber posted:

I have no idea, i wasn't party to the negotiations. I have no idea if Biden got played, or if he got something.

we're going to find a dead cat at the end of this experiment, aren't we?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Liz Cheney gave a speech at the reagan library a couple days ago that is a window into where part of the GOP is at

https://www.c-span.org/video/?521290-1/rep-cheney-calls-president-trump-domestic-threat

I figured that surely that post was so over the top that no one could take it seriously, but lol I guess not.

Poe's law is a bitch.

Also Florida has made being gay in school the equivalent of being on a sex offender list.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminJS/status/1542568527990624256

This sort of thing wasn't even happening when I was a kid, so we're backsliding real far real fast.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lassitude posted:

I get the feeling she heard about cyclic vomiting that some people can get from weed but wanted to make it sound super duper scary, so added "screaming" to the signs for some reason. Either way, lol. From someone who worked in a busy Canadian ER post-legalization if anything I feel like we had fewer instances of severely drunk assholes who got hurt while drunk than any increase in cannabis-related stuff, but maybe that's just me being hopeful.

She's probably talking about CHS, which some people get when consuming high potency cannabis products.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/c/cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome.html

The rest of it just sounds like moral panic bullshit.

Just lol at someone smoking a joint once and then having a screaming and vomiting attack like it was laced with poison.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ellasmith posted:

I wish this worked for me. Weed makes me feel lovely and paranoid. I’m killing myself with booze and I can’t stop. :sigh:

Try low concentration thc and high concentration cbd strains and only vape.

I don't drink anymore and weed certainly helped. It's not a panacea but it's far far healthier.

I've only ever seen someone scromiting from a bad dex trip.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

SimonChris posted:

A lot of people who dislike Biden are probably democrats who think he isn't doing enough.

He is hardly popular on these forums, but I am pretty sure most people here would prefer to have the democrats in control of congress.

It sure would be nice if those approve/disapprove metrics had a partisan indicator of why they approve or disapprove. My bet is that a significant number of Democrats are raking him in the gutter for apparent reasons.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

oof, so they didn't red flag him, and the system just completely failed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

big surprise here to nobody

https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1544690185291669504

not sure how well the ignore option works on state grand jury's, but we will see!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lol Wisconsin is probably one of the worst states at this point and a vision of the future for the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1545395474437373954

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

At the risk of eating a 6er or longer for trodding over the same ground again, I will once again defer to the works of Neil Postman

What point does this make other than 'lol people suck and knowledge isn't real'?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

It doesn't make either of those points. Maybe try reading it again but this time try not to do it with a mindset of looking for the shortest path to dismiss it.

I read it, and it made no useful point relevant to the topic of discussion. also, it completely invalidates itself as social research because

quote:

Unlike science, social research never discovers anything.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

I think it's pretty clear in saying that in Technopoly/The US it's very easy to dismiss the suffering of the unhoused or the severely indebted working poor that surround us in everyday life as a ~*~statistical anomaly not borne out by the data~*~ and that we can, on a societal level, simply "unsee" what our eyes tell us because The Data from The Machines tells us differently.

But the statistics and data bear out the suffering pretty clearly. It seems that society still ignores that information despite its clarity. There's a difference between choosing ignorance and not having the information in the first place. The data from the machine is very clearly telling us what is happening, we just don't care enough to adjust the dials. the premise seems incorrect from the start.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah Twitter allows for all sorts of naming shenanigans that an actual company that cared about user experience and preventing deception could easily take care of. But here we are.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

I like how modern tech is either stupidly restrictive when it comes to input parameters, or "cute"/"cleaver" , like either way you end up with a fragile system that breaks with minor tiny things.

Like I bought up in the tech nightmares thread how people with the last name Null or some dude that got the vanity car plate Null all have fun times in the modern age.

That's just bad input scrubbing treating input as code instead of text allowing code injection. Not allowing that is security 101. Not allowing things like ambiguous characters or using an ambiguous casing requires some input analysis but it's not that hard to do. It is just a step farther than the minimum so most don't do it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Time for some game theory 1/246

We already know that Ginni Thomas is knee deep in this. It's not bad info but it's a very red string between the pictures on a closet wall vibe.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

sounds like it is time to purge the secret service.

hey look the hoover dam is on fire

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1549444994087493633

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nevada confirming that a transformer in the dam caught fire. Nobody hurt and the fire is out. Still investigating the cause.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/2022/07/19/boulder-city-fire-responding-hoover-dam-after-explosion-reported/

Those transformers aren't cheap or quick to replace. I bet it made a fun sound when it popped.