Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Seyser Koze posted:

Or people will smoke more to get their fix.

It seems hard to believe people will take a 99 cigarette smoke break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Axetrain posted:

Hell no they've got plenty of others to hate on beside just women.

They're not even done with women. This ruling says abortion isn't a right, but their endgame all along has been banning abortion nationwide. Fetal personhood is the next step, not sitting smugly on their porches saying job well done.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because they still don't have the votes to do so.

And, according to the NYT, they are in somewhat of a holding position until Biden gets back from Europe. Harris is the public face on the issue, but she can't make any final decisions. Biden has asked his agencies to provide a list of things they can do and he doesn't want to "over promise" and then have people feel let down if they can't do it.

So, they are going to basically just say nothing committal until at least tomorrow when Biden gets back.

It is baffling that they were unprepared for this situation, given the makeup of the court, given the efforts of their opponents for literally decades, given that this opinion was leaked weeks ago. Like just outright dereliction of leadership, incredible.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/writtenbyhanna/status/1541979085676716033?s=21&t=WvlYLeTfsItTCEonuCnVFw

This is a failure of the executive. This is baaaad.

Why did she bring up the child tax credit that doesn’t exist anymore?

Why would they even let her go on TV if she's this unprepared to answer possibly the most burning question on the topic?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

cat botherer posted:

I’m complaining about the discrepancy and the amount. I don’t want more probing, so I’m not going to report a quarter of the posts ITT. For whatever reason, leftists get probed a lot more than centrists, which discourages these points of view. I don’t want to make it worse by reporting people constantly myself. I wonder if this high school debate clube vibe has something to do with a former sub-forum of D&D getting more than twice the readership that this one does.

There's no reason to expect an equal number of probes between whoever you perceive as "leftists" and "centrists" in a thread, and even assuming that the "leftists" do get probed more, there are tons of possible fair reasons for that (e.g. there are more of them in general, their arguments are bad, the way they present their arguments is stupid/counterproductive/rude, etc).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yes or they might go “lmao, gently caress it and gently caress Gallup” and self exclude.

The chance that they do this at a statistically-significantly higher rate than their women peers seems very unlikely

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Early on when everything was shut down, yeah there was no choice. I think the debate was during that weird time when some areas, for reasons that are hard to understand, decided it was OK to open up bars and restaurants, but kept schools shut down. Which seems odd in that if you were going to choose which to open first (rather than just say its either all OK or its all shut down), you'd probably recognize the harm being done to kids first vs going out to eat. But I guess the economy takes priority over the need for young children to socialize.

Even with that though, you are probably right that the discussion doesn't have much value since there won't be data for a while, so we have dueling anecdotes with people going "eh, the kids are fine" vs "no, they aren't fine, this harmed them", and unknowable arguments on which harm was worse, etc.

Schools were slower to reopen because the vaccine wasn't available for kids

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm both in agreement with the idea that they should be first priority and just in total disagreement with that framing. The world didn't want restaurants and travel, policy makers did. They directly benefited from that while your average person seems to have become increasingly upset about how education and healthcare have suffered.

You're remembering the demands of a small minority, anti maskers and people arguing for opening it all up and letting covid spread as bigger than they were because they seem to have gotten their way. But that doesn't mean that policy was backed by actual public support.

Do you have numbers to back this up?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

it was the 30-50 hogs guy, something about his post somehow added up to 88.

30+50=80
3+5= 8

It is a massive stretch (unlike the straight up marketing to Nazis Jaxyon just linked)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

davecrazy posted:

If you live in an urban area with only street parking how do you charge an EV?

I’ve never thought about it because I have a garage and a driveway now. When I was younger I didn’t have as much as a parking spot, just a resident parking permit that meant I wouldn’t get towed at certain hours/areas on the street.

I mostly charge at grocery stores, but also have one of the old 7kW trickle chargers near my work.

Based on how busy the grocery store chargers are, I assume a lot of other people are doing the same.