Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The actual definition of this word is just out of frame, laughing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lascivious Sloth posted:

How is this post not a cause of ban? Such judgement and hypocrisy. Of course you are a hypocritical self righteous awful human being. Jesus Christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for being bitch babies for entertaining this sensitive piece of poo poo. lmao loser

Teachers lied to me that adults can cope
my kindergarten teacher proposed that my abrupt total hair loss at age 3 was due to my family being stationed in germany on a US military base in 1986 when chernobyl happened.

it was an insane thing to say, and they should have gotten the boot, much like you for your ridiculous slur meltdown

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
hey guys do u think the guy who said the slur about differently-abled people was perhaps LIED TO BY HIS TEACHER about what it meant?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doug Sisk posted:

I hope this wasn't UK only, but does anyone remember the software name you used in middle school where you answered loads of questions and it told you which 3 careers you'd be best suited to? You'd then have to speak to a career councilor about what you wanted to do in life, it was all lies though.
I want to retake it and see if it's as bad as it was at the time.

We did this in middle school in rural Oregon in ‘98 or ‘99. It seemed like a very thorough, very expensive way to say “here are three jobs related to the one thing going on in your life as a middle schooler that you don’t loathe.”

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Blue Moonlight posted:

We did this in middle school in rural Oregon in ‘98 or ‘99. It seemed like a very thorough, very expensive way to say “here are three jobs related to the one thing going on in your life as a middle schooler that you don’t loathe.”

That always seemed like something they did on TV shows, I didn't know it happened in real life.

I had a child development teacher who saw me reading another girl's future with tarot cards in class in high school (like every girl that age does at some point) and while she didn't tell me anything directly, I guess she ratted me out to the guidance counselor - she was that kind of Christian and we had to watch movies about how you not only need to give birth when you get pregnant as a teen but also you will need to raise it as well. The next day he called me down to his office during child development class, but it was on completely unrelated business regarding transferring to the local community college (woop woop Running Start) and he was a pretty cool dude who saw that I was 100% ready to leave high school for the last two years for college and helped me out a bunch with the paperwork/application process.

He didn't say anything about the tarot cards, but when I got back to class the teacher asked me in a real condescending tone "Did he talk to you about the tarot cards?" And I was surprised and I said "Uh, no" and then I said probably the best comeback I will ever have in my life on the spot and I said "It's okay, people fear what they do not understand" and she had nothing to say that and I went back to my seat and she never spoke to me again.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"You can't just get away with breaking the rules."

Actually, you can. If you are sneaky/smart enough and/or able to outrun some fat cop.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Doug Sisk posted:

I hope this wasn't UK only, but does anyone remember the software name you used in middle school where you answered loads of questions and it told you which 3 careers you'd be best suited to? You'd then have to speak to a career councilor about what you wanted to do in life, it was all lies though.

I distinctly remember rolling lightkeeper, sandwich caterer, and bank security. :thumbsup:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

This is all from High School 1997-2001

"If you get a tattoo or coloured hair, no one will hire you and you will be heavily judged every interview." - My Career and Personal Planning instructor

"Men are responsible for 100% of rape. Women are responsible for 0%. It's all males and its all on *you*" points at all the male students. - English Teacher (female)

"Playboy models were better when the camera angle was shot from below and angled up. Over time, the camera would keep going higher and the angle lower, so you would be looking down at the model and it makes her look less hot." - Gym Teacher, who was later convicted of grooming, drugging and raping students.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Tarkus posted:

Going up in a tax bracket taxes you at the money in that bracket. If there were a bracket at 5000$ and you made 7500 you would be taxed on 2500$ in the 5000+ tax bracket. The tax bracket legend isn't true. The only way it actually kind of happens is in payroll whereby if you make more on one cheque and they deduct as if you made that amount all year. You'll get a return after when taxes are done if you didn't exceed the bracket.

It’s worth pointing out that this doesn’t apply to government benefits. If you’re on assistance then sometimes taking a pay raise or even just working more hours at your job can get you kicked off the program, leaving you worse off than you would have been

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lascivious Sloth posted:

How is this post not a cause of ban? Such judgement and hypocrisy. Of course you are a hypocritical self righteous awful human being. Jesus Christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for being bitch babies for entertaining this sensitive piece of poo poo. lmao loser

Teachers lied to me that adults can cope

Lmao

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Speaking of weird music bullshit does anyone remember that rumour that "Another one bites the dust" played backwards said it was fun to smoke pot?

Plausible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvhCThWWy3Q&t=18s

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

BattyKiara posted:

"The only reason you get periods is that you are lazy! Girls who play team sports instead of dance class never start menstruating before they are 16 or 17."
Said to me by a really lovely PE teacher in primary school. I was 10 years old and danced 16 hours a week until a knee injury made me give it up.

Same teacher told me I was excused from sex ed because "You are too ugly. You do not need to learn this!"

"Africans are sorry there is no more British Empire to take care of them!"

One teacher managed to mix up the Welsh and Scottish flags. "The Welsh flag is part of the Union Flag to honor the Prince of Wales. While the rebellious Scots have put the Loch Ness monster on their flag."

"You don't need to wash your clothes. Just remove the spots and leave them blowing in the wind. Air baths clean clothes better than water. Also never shower more than once every three weeks. More than that is bad for your health!"

How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat? Then at the end of the year all the little British kids are ground into hamburgers and sausages.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
"Jim Crow laws were named after Senator Jim Crow, who wrote them."

This was from a community college American history teacher who told us she had never even traveled to America until her mid-twenties.

She also had a lot to say about the Freemasons.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

The Butcher posted:

"You can't just get away with breaking the rules."

Actually, you can. If you are sneaky/smart enough and/or able to outrun some fat cop.

Or rich.

My wife had a gym teacher who wouldn't let the girls play baseball because girls didn't have the hand eye coordination for it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Doug Sisk posted:

Was it Kudos? I remember taking a career software quiz thing in middle school when I was about 13-14 and the only thing I remember about it is the name of the application. I don't even remember what crap is pooped out onto the print out to say would be my future career options.

Also nine pages and nobody brought up teachers telling them words to the effect of "If you ignore bullies then they will get bored and leave you alone"? Yeah thanks for that one multiple teachers that wasn't total rubbish that did more harm than good.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
my health teacher freshman year in high school, the one responsible for sex ed, was a conservative christian who skipped over actually talking about what the old in and out is

she instead told us that if you're gay you will get AIDS and die and deserve it

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nameless Pete posted:

"Jim Crow laws were named after Senator Jim Crow, who wrote them."

This was from a community college American history teacher who told us she had never even traveled to America until her mid-twenties.

She also had a lot to say about the Freemasons.

How did she teach the civil war?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

DeadButDelicious posted:

Also nine pages and nobody brought up teachers telling them words to the effect of "If you ignore bullies then they will get bored and leave you alone"? Yeah thanks for that one multiple teachers that wasn't total rubbish that did more harm than good.

My mom gave me the just ignore the bully speech after I told her my class bully was throwing small rocks at me and my sister when we were walking home from school. But my grandma was also there that day and she was like “WHAT? He threw rocks at you? Don’t listen to your mother Ralph, next time that kid does that, you pick up a bigger rock and throw it right at his head!” Grandma was awesome.

Greatest Generation

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DeadButDelicious posted:

"Bullies are all cowards and will leave you alone if you just fight back" was another one. Maybe it works with some smarmy suburban kid, but not with future sociopaths who run to the administration and make you look like the bad guy for fighting back, or the future inmate bad kids who are legitimately bigger and stronger than you and will ambush you at some random time, possibly with weapons and/or the help of friends.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Ralph Hurley posted:

My mom gave me the just ignore the bully speech after I told her my class bully was throwing small rocks at me and my sister when we were walking home from school. But my grandma was also there that day and she was like “WHAT? He threw rocks at you? Don’t listen to your mother Ralph, next time that kid does that, you pick up a bigger rock and throw it right at his head!” Grandma was awesome.

Greatest Generation

Hell yeah grandma sounds like she was a badass who knew how to handle things.

The_Franz posted:

"Bullies are all cowards and will leave you alone if you just fight back" was another one. Maybe it works with some smarmy suburban kid, but not with future sociopaths who run to the administration and make you look like the bad guy for fighting back, or the future inmate bad kids who are legitimately bigger and stronger than you and will ambush you at some random time, possibly with weapons and/or the help of friends.

Having run afoul of both types growing up I can say you're absolutely right.

One lie I always got a chuckle out of was my end of year report in P.E. where I was a straight-C student because I'm poo poo at all sports. The teacher comment would read something like "DBD always applies himself as best he can/tries his hardest". Which is a lie for two reasons: A) No I didn't :smug: and B) What you meant to say is "DBD is poo poo at sports but I can't fail someone for having no skill at sports so here's an average mark".

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Mrs Lloyd said that the Titanic sank because people said it was a boat so great that even God couldn’t sink it. So God made it sink it out of spite (and pettiness I guess)

Mr Cadman said that Asian people have “squinty eyes” because its really sunny in that part of the world and the suns always in their face.

He also said that Pokémon and Digimon were made by the same company wtf

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ziv Zulander posted:

It’s worth pointing out that this doesn’t apply to government benefits. If you’re on assistance then sometimes taking a pay raise or even just working more hours at your job can get you kicked off the program, leaving you worse off than you would have been

This applies to so many benefits programs, at least in the US, that it can be a whole layer of extra bureaucracy people have to navigate. One of the exhausting things about being poor in this country is that so many "assistance" programs are set up so that if you pass some arbitrary level of income you end up getting punished for it. The Medicaid expansion in this state tends to be a little more forgiving than other programs, but it is easy to be in a situation where you get a better job and private insurance and end up having less money because you are now paying more for healthcare than you did on Medicaid (which is close to zero cost for what is quite good coverage). I've known people who have to carefully watch how many hours they work to avoid going over the line and losing their Medicaid health insurance because the other options aren't as good when it comes to coverage and cost exponentially more in real-world terms.

Food stamps are perhaps the worst about jumping quickly to punishment for improvement. "Oh, you made $10 more wages last month? Then instead of $300 of food stamps you get $30. Have a nice day!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Teachers really hated when I'd ask, "If cursive is easier to read, why don't books, newspapers and signs use them?"

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I went on food stamps for a couple months a few years ago during a time when my wife and I were both unemployed and had zero income. As soon as you start getting income again, they cut you off. Except between the time we reported having new income and the next pay cycle or whatever, they ended up overpaying like $500 to our card, and they expected that money back.

Giving them back the money was not possible to do online, I had to go to the office, take a number and wait in line for two hours. Ok, crappy government office, I expected a wait. When it was my turn, I assumed they would swipe the card and deduct the balance. But no, not possible. I had to wait another long rear end time for him to produce some paperwork to authorize the transaction, all the while acting like the whole thing was a massive inconvenience to him personally.

It was insane to me that I could walk into any store in the state and buy $500 worth of groceries with that card, but the office that issued the loving card didn’t have a machine that could accomplish this. Even when you’re trying to give them money, they make it as frustrating as possible.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Do lies from Sunday School "teachers" count? Got into an argument when I was about 12 with one when they said that only Christians have the concept of an afterlife. My pointing out that Islam, Hindu and Buddhism also have something like that was not well received.

They asked my parents to not bring me back for any future lessons.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

I'll disagree on this one, and I'll teach my kids when they are old enough.

You do fight back, and fight back hard. It doesn't matter if you lose. They will not gently caress with you again, and will go for another kid who won't fight back.

Maybe you get suspended, but whatever. I won't be mad. In fact, we can have ice cream.

It's kind of like how you deal with fascism.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

I had some extremely worrying behavior in elementary school - as in attempting self-harm in the middle of class - thanks to daily bullying and the only thing the school counselor did was tell me that actually it's my fault for being such a soft and reactive target for bullies. Thanks lady, all I learned was that if no one answers my cries for help then it actually isn't a big deal and I should just be quiet, which was a really good lesson a few years down the road when one of the bullies moved on from words to molestation.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 1, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"The Supreme Court is an apolitical body which has the Constitutional power to review overturn laws."

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thread is starting to take a turn into some columbiney territory lol

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not a teacher I guess but in fifth grade we learned about the heart and such. We got a little booklet telling us that smoking was bad and exercise good. At the same time the book also told us that the colored circles on food packages had secret messages about nutritional value or something.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

"Do not eat apple seeds because then an apple tree will grow out of your stomach."

Strangely my grandpa told me that one as well as my ageing 2nd year teacher.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bonzo posted:

Teachers really hated when I'd ask, "If cursive is easier to read, why don't books, newspapers and signs use them?"

wtf who thinks cursive is easier to read? It was always about ‘looking professional’ afaik.

Cursive was invented so teachers had something to complain about it seems.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I got a D in Penmanship on an otherwise straight A report card in 4th grade because my cursive sucked so bad. So my mom made me practice a bunch of extra loving cursive writing at home which was a drag. gently caress cursive. That doesn’t even look like a Q it’s loving 2! And a capital I is a single line, why the hell does it need superfluous loopy canoe shapes in it? I ended up getting kinda good at it though FWIW.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

If your kids are getting bullied just give them a roll of nickels and teach them how to throw a punch so they don’t break their wrist

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

wtf who thinks cursive is easier to read? It was always about ‘looking professional’ afaik.

Cursive was invented so teachers had something to complain about it seems.

The most reasonable justification I've seen for still teaching cursive is so people can read historical documents and old letters and such, which makes a certain amount of sense. Were it not for having been taught cursive in like the 3rd grade I don't think I could decipher my parents' handwriting at all.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

DeadButDelicious posted:

Was it Kudos? I remember taking a career software quiz thing in middle school when I was about 13-14 and the only thing I remember about it is the name of the application. I don't even remember what crap is pooped out onto the print out to say would be my future career options.

Yes! That was it!
A quick google says they're still selling it, so probably can't take a copy of an old version and see what it says.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The most reasonable justification I've seen for still teaching cursive is so people can read historical documents and old letters and such, which makes a certain amount of sense. Were it not for having been taught cursive in like the 3rd grade I don't think I could decipher my parents' handwriting at all.

The computers can do that now.

There is literally no point in forcing children to learn things that are harder to read when we have a more simple easy way to show words.

Like gently caress, English is a spaghetti mess with no rules as it is. Don't complicate it more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Franz posted:

all of those types exist, and I've run into them or combinations thereof.

one had his crew encircle the two of us and wouldn't let me escape while he attacked me, I hadn't even hit puberty yet and thought I was going to die because this kid was twice my size. so I just went full feral and jumped on him screaming, just started biting the hell out of him which threw him off long enough that I got on his back and put him in a headlock. that was the "beat them and they'll respect you" one, he wanted to be buddies after that

another one much later in life routinely hosed around with me, threw away my schoolwork, poured cans of soda in my backpack, stole poo poo from me, and I tried reporting him multiple times to the school which resulted in "just ignore him" or "I'll tell him to stop"(which did nothing). eventually he whipped a rock at my head while I was just walking outside to class and I grabbed a huge downed tree branch and just beat the everliving poo poo out him with it. he immediately went to the teachers and we had a consultation and I left that school shortly after, good, gently caress that place, and gently caress that kid.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 2, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Butcher posted:

I'll disagree on this one, and I'll teach my kids when they are old enough.

You do fight back, and fight back hard. It doesn't matter if you lose. They will not gently caress with you again, and will go for another kid who won't fight back.

Maybe you get suspended, but whatever. I won't be mad. In fact, we can have ice cream.

It's kind of like how you deal with fascism.

You know how you can tell someone grew up in an upper middle class suburb just by the way they post?

That poo poo don't work in the city, bullies travel in packs and will hunt you down after school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

another one much later in life routinely hosed around with me, threw away my schoolwork, poured cans of soda in my backpack, stole poo poo from me, and I tried reporting him multiple times to the school which resulted in "just ignore him" or "I'll tell him to stop"(which did nothing). eventually he whipped a rock at my head while I was just walking outside to class and I grabbed a huge downed tree branch and just beat the everliving poo poo out him with it. he immediately went to the teachers and we had a consultation and I left that school shortly after, good, gently caress that place, and gently caress that kid.

I got expelled for fighting back, I feel this one 100%

Edit: gently caress meant to edit this into the last post