Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
We still had to learn cursive in elementary school despite the fact it was the early 2000s

I blame the boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s not intrinsically a boomer thing, more like passage of time changes technology. As I understand it, cursive exists to minimize the amount of times than a pen leaves the paper, which cut down on ink splashes when pens were much more volatile. Think fountain pens and such.

I still think cursive is useful to know. Anyone that has to write a lot quickly almost definitely uses a lot of pidgin cursive. I know I do. My writing is a mixture of cursive and print.

It’s also why, technically, people are supposed to double space after periods. That’s because typewriters could somehow muddle the end of sentences and you needed a clean sentence break.

They’re both cultural artifacts that at one point served a purpose, but now they’re just (decreasingly) how it is. I even think double spaces after the period has been removed from a lot of style guides. I know that’s the case for APA.

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

I have one yearly bill that is old school as poo poo and I can only pay by check. I have to sit there for like 15 minutes not only trying to remember cursive but also how to write out "one- hundred fifteen and 17/100------------------" dollars, i still probably hosed that up

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
This open classroom design will totally improve the learning environment.

It did not.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Do schools still teach writing? it's such a useless waste of time I'm pretty sure we literally spent 30+% of the week learning how to write perfect letters like who gives a gently caress. Especially now days with computers, and the fact doctors and chemists write like downies so obviously writing skill is worth nothing in real life

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Schools still teach children how to write, yes

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Do schools still teach writing? it's such a useless waste of time I'm pretty sure we literally spent 30+% of the week learning how to write perfect letters like who gives a gently caress. Especially now days with computers, and the fact doctors and chemists write like downies so obviously writing skill is worth nothing in real life

The gently caress is a downie?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Narzack posted:

turn off your monitor

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I asked the AI about good lies:

What is a good lie to tell to children?

One good lie to tell children is that if they eat all their vegetables, they will grow up to be strong and healthy.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Maybe not every kid is gonna be an engineer or doctor or whatever but if you don't teach them math and science then none of them will be.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
In middle school Civics, we were taught how taxes and tax brackets work. If you earn more money, you get taxed more, and you might move up into a tax bracket where you actually take home less money. So sometimes it's better to not get a raise.

I don't remember ever being taught how a progressive tax works in a math class, or ever having any real financial education in any class until one 300 level course in college.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Narzack posted:

A belly button that points straight down, happens to about one out of every ten thousand people. (this is a lie I would tell kids if I were a teacher)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Salami Surgeon posted:

In middle school Civics, we were taught how taxes and tax brackets work. If you earn more money, you get taxed more, and you might move up into a tax bracket where you actually take home less money. So sometimes it's better to not get a raise.

I don't remember ever being taught how a progressive tax works in a math class, or ever having any real financial education in any class until one 300 level course in college.

This isn't true? Or does it depend where you live and the tax rules. I was/am sure that you can be in a tax bracket where you pay more tax than it is worth within a lower % of the tax bracket. Unless this was a big lie from the 90s

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Narzack posted:

Lascivious Sloth posted:

turn off your monitor

Nah, you need to explain yourself or I'm giving you a time out. Is that Australian or UK slang of some sort? What is it referring to if not Down's syndrome?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lascivious Sloth posted:

This isn't true? Or does it depend where you live and the tax rules. I was/am sure that you can be in a tax bracket where you pay more tax than it is worth within a lower % of the tax bracket. Unless this was a big lie from the 90s
This is textbook what-rich people-want-poor people-to-think.

Not counting weird obscure municipalities who don't know how to run a civic government there has never been a progressive tax that encourages you not to take raises. There's like no reason to short of imagined communes taught as republican's Boogeymen.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Going up in a tax bracket taxes you at the money in that bracket. If there were a bracket at 5000$ and you made 7500 you would be taxed on 2500$ in the 5000+ tax bracket. The tax bracket legend isn't true. The only way it actually kind of happens is in payroll whereby if you make more on one cheque and they deduct as if you made that amount all year. You'll get a return after when taxes are done if you didn't exceed the bracket.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nah, you need to explain yourself or I'm giving you a time out. Is that Australian or UK slang of some sort? What is it referring to if not Down's syndrome?

lmao just give me a "time out" you loser power tripping mod. As if I'm going to type out the justified explanation of a word colloquialized to my region because you feel offended and want me to trigger you into a reaction because you cant identify it. holy poo poo LOL captaindipshit no i wasn't referring to down syndrome but you can suck my rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
oh yeah teachers often said you "must respect my authority" but irl respect is earned ;)

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
*puckers up glasses higher on to the nose* "Please tell me how you offended the audience so I can please punish you!"

Imagine looking for offense in order to justify your unpaid and useless role. Same losers who seek out powers of position as teachers but don't know poo poo and turn up on a forum thread called "Lies your teachers told you".

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
okay i got it all out i feel good now

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Narzack posted:

not much what's a downie with you

Lascivious Sloth posted:

*puckers up glasses higher on to the nose* "Please tell me how you offended the audience so I can please punish you!"

Imagine looking for offense in order to justify your unpaid and useless role. Same losers who seek out powers of position as teachers but don't know poo poo and turn up on a forum thread called "Lies your teachers told you".

it is truly inspiring how not mad this guy is

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Lascivious Sloth posted:

okay i got it all out i feel good now

No keep going this is really funny

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
So what is a downie? I am actually curious.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
If you need to ask what is a downie then you can never understand, what, is a downie.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The opposite of an uppie

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Nice Guy Patron posted:

So what is a downie? I am actually curious.

Yeah, I hate the word police but realistically a one sentence definition should do. I don't need to know the history or etymology of the word.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Every girls handwriting I’ve seen has been better than every guys. But the last time I checked on that it was 1998.

The trick is to only use capital letters and it'll be just fine.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I was embarrassed reading this.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lascivious Sloth posted:

this is a mcdonalds

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

My teacher told me that a god exists and loves us all.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I hope this wasn't UK only, but does anyone remember the software name you used in middle school where you answered loads of questions and it told you which 3 careers you'd be best suited to? You'd then have to speak to a career councilor about what you wanted to do in life, it was all lies though.
I want to retake it and see if it's as bad as it was at the time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The "ban" is underlined and everything

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

how is this post not caused a ban yet? what a piece of poo poo ablest slur to justify as "regional dialect". of course you were referring to people with Down syndrome you absolute awful human being. Jesus christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for entertaining this piece of poo poo

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Doug Sisk posted:

I hope this wasn't UK only, but does anyone remember the software name you used in middle school where you answered loads of questions and it told you which 3 careers you'd be best suited to? You'd then have to speak to a career councilor about what you wanted to do in life, it was all lies though.

I remember doing this in middle school when I was growing up in Arkansas and one of the careers it gave me was 'math teacher', which I knew immediately was a lie because I have dyscalculia.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Doug Sisk posted:

I just talked to teacher partner who says they still do this, but doesn't know the name of it.

It told me I should be a priest.

Funny enough I am ordained now but it was one of the ones you just pay like $10 for online.

With the right amount of witnesses, I can legally marry you in most US states!

I'm gonna see if I can track down that software/website.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Lampsacus posted:

how is this post not caused a ban yet? what a piece of poo poo ablest slur to justify as "regional dialect". of course you were referring to people with Down syndrome you absolute awful human being. Jesus christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for entertaining this piece of poo poo

How is this post not a cause of ban? Such judgement and hypocrisy. Of course you are a hypocritical self righteous awful human being. Jesus Christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for being bitch babies for entertaining this sensitive piece of poo poo. lmao loser

Teachers lied to me that adults can cope

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 1, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lascivious Sloth posted:

How is this post not a cause of ban? Such judgement and hypocrisy. Of course you are a hypocritical self righteous awful human being. Jesus Christ, please leave this website and never come back, and shame on the mods for being bitch babies for entertaining this sensitive piece of poo poo. lmao loser

Teachers lied to me that adults can cope

Bad day?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lascivious Sloth posted:

lmao just give me a "time out" you loser power tripping mod. As if I'm going to type out the justified explanation of a word colloquialized to my region because you feel offended and want me to trigger you into a reaction because you cant identify it. holy poo poo LOL captaindipshit no i wasn't referring to down syndrome but you can suck my rear end

Yes, the ultimate power trip of giving a consistently bad poster the benefit of the doubt. You have exposed my most Machiavellian depths, truly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doug Sisk posted:

Isn't that what they did on The Simpsons?