Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Photex posted:

even at the end when he asked for the time the host said "Hold on i'm on a delay" and it was about 10 seconds till he was able to give him the time.

That happens with the in-person runs, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't been watching from the very start, but at least for the last several years I'm not aware of a bonus game incentive not being met. I'm pretty sure the sponsors will dump their periodic contributions to meet them. It'd really suck for the runner to come out and not get to run their game. Also, the whole following schedule would have to change or there'd be an hour of dead time.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kestral posted:

Another $75,000 in 90 minutes seems ambitious when it's barely moved in a while.

Pokemon runs make a ton of money once the favorite pokemon donations start rolling in.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Are stats randomized too?

No, stats and types are standard.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

The main actual complaint about this pokemon run is that GDQ is so far behind that they had to axe some other interesting runs and this one seems redundant because there was another 4h pokerun a couple days ago.

It turns out that different games are different. Or maybe we should just only do a single Sonic game during Sonic block, a single Silly game during silly block....

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Deformed Church posted:

Both those categories have way more variance than pokemon games.

I'll give you silly games, that was a terrible example.

But every 2D Sonic game looks exactly the same to me and every 3D Sonic game looks exactly the same to me. And the differences between 2D and 3D Sonics are purely graphical as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, even though I'm far from the biggest Pokemon fan, the difference between a really chaotic 4-player coop Emerald randomizer run and a glitchless BDSP run are pretty apparent to me.

People can like what they like and dislike what they dislike, I don't care. The point is that "but we already had one of these" is pretty self-serving and applies to a very broad portion of the entire marathon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone enlighten me on how RCE can create voice acting?

The same way it creates everything else. Sound is just bits put in a particular order and interpreted by a piece of code.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It's always cool to see ACE done by human hands (even if they had to go to backup cartridge on this one). Not that a TAS ACE can't be cool, but there's something special about just randomly jamming buttons to glitch a game out so bad that you beat 5 games in 12 minutes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Banzai 3 posted:

The extra fun part is GDQ staff was going to originally be on that Pokémon couch, so it smells of a conflict of interest in the best case. I understand Pokémon runs bring in the money, but you don’t really need that as we head into the final evening.

What? Being on the couch isn't some sort of super prestigious prize. Also, I'm assuming the "staff" you're referring to is Keizaron, and I'm reasonably certain he has no decision-making clout. the situation is not great, but there's no need to invent conspiracies about it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fewer than 10 deaths on a run that fewer than 10 people (from what I heard) have beaten. Seriously impressive.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hahaha, just walking right around Cynthia in the cutscene. It's like my friend's cat who will immediately jump up into any chair a person vacates. "It's mine now, what are you gonna do about it?"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Beasteh posted:

And the way that they couched it in 'this is being ran on a stock unmodified OOT cart on a stock unmodified N64' was super disingenuous and misleading!

No, it wasn't. They didn't say everything they were doing was on the cart. They were very explicit about stating exactly which bits of content were on the cart, and they have to say "this is an unmodified game/system" because otherwise some idiot will accuse them of just playing a romhack.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

However, since I don't know a thing about Ocarina of Time beta content I had no way of telling if stuff like the Arwing really was left over on-cart content.

What, them saying, "Yes, the Arwing is actually on OOT's cart, they used it as a beta test of Volvagia's flying mechanics" wasn't enough to clue you in?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

I knew that some of what they were saying was deliberate misdirection by that point, so how on earth would I know that particular statement was actually truthful and not part of the con?

Sure, I guess if you're willing to believe that the runner is outright, baldface lying to you, and that the event condones that (runners have to submit a video of the run as part of approval), then you do you. There's no rational discourse that can be had past that point.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

But ... the runner was literally telling baldface lies throughout. That was the entire conceit of the run.

The runner never lied a single time. Everything they said was on the cart was on the cart, and the stuff that wasn't on the cart they never said was.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Runners lying for a bit at gdq is so common that people have started doing meta-bits about the meta-bits about it

I've never heard a runner straight-up lie like they're claiming here. I've seen lots of "oh, here's the hardest boss! <kills it in one hit>" type stuff, but that's all obvious tongue-in-cheek jokes. I've never seen a runner say, "this content is on the cart" only for that to be a complete fabrication. I certainly haven't seen every single GDQ run, so maybe I've just conveniently missed every single lie since 2018, but somehow I doubt it.

EDIT: For the record, I only caught the very end of the OOT run live (the part with twitch chat), but I saw comments in the thread at the time claiming the runner lied, so I paid attention when I watched the whole thing later. They absolutely, 100% did not lie a single time.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 5, 2022

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

CBD Corndog posted:

The Metal Gear Revengence VOD was taken down because the runner spliced in video for the DLC part.

https://reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/vrrha1/_/iewy4ml/?context=1

That’s gotta be a first for GDQ, right?

Okay, NOW I've seen a runner straight-up lie about a run.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I didn't watch that MG run. How do you even splice in video secretly at a live event with a couch full of people watching?

It was one of the remote runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bremen posted:

I think the confusion over the Ocarina of Time team lying or not was they kept saying "I just want to remind everyone this is an unmodified cartridge being played on an unmodified N64." A very standard way to read that is "we're not changing anything, and this scene where we're winning a race with the running man is on the cart" but how they really meant it was "we hadn't modified anything before turning the game on." That had me confused during the run, and I only realized it wasn't the way they meant it when I rewatched it.

What they said was exactly what they meant and it was only confusing because people are used to those words meaning something else; I doubt the confusion was intentional on their part.

Yeah, I think this is a fair assessment. They could also have done a better job of explaining what Arbitrary Code Execution meant in the context of the run. They did a pretty good job of explaining how they set up the ACE, but after they set it up, they mostly dropped that line of conversation in favor of explaining what was happening on-screen. I think if they'd explained that ACE meant they could make the game bend over backward and do whatever it was they wanted it to do, even including CD-quality sound and cel-shaded graphics that could never have been on the original cart (as shown in the BotW ending), it would've been less confusing.