Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't tried the trust system with the ARR dungeons, do the NPC buddies kill enemies as slow as the Shadowbringer/Endwalker ones

I just tried them in sastasha and they were ok, definitely slower than real players but they didn’t mind me looking around the pirate area

Speaking of, they got rid of non-boss dungeon enemies giving xp? Any reason why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never heard of “boomer shooter” til yesterday and now I’ve seen it twice, what’s going on ???

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whenever I see the word “b**mer” I involuntary start thinking about guillotines

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doomguy can have a little backstory, as a treat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV:

Can you not turn off the tiny achievements notification thing showing up all the time
All I’ve found from googling is people from four years ago complaining about it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

God kimahri sucks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You unlock your bank after finishing the uldah dungeon!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate to be “that guy”, but re: video games... They might be good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here is one example of why every game should be on pc

https://twitter.com/Official_Cattus/status/1543255323997519872

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No it’s still your standard mmo quest

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember old copperbell had a slime boss that required your group to coordinate at an unprecedented level, you had to NOT kill an enemy until it exploded of its own volition. Pretty ballsy to have that mechanic when it’s like the fourth dungeon boss of the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Started playing Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and one of the first things you can is to steal a ball, toss it in a well and run away while the girl who was playing with it starts to cry. You even get a trophy for doing it.

Games are psychopath simulators

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

rip that 2.2% that couldn't find the door past the demon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk I'm still gonna blame the devs for those

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't there a game that had two conflicting achievements? One for getting ALL the achievements and one for getting ALL the achievements EXCEPT for the All The Achievements Achievement? :allears:

Wouldn’t you get both at the same time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe FF11 is up

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ff14 chat:

When you get down to it, the things you're actually doing during the ff14 ARR quests are really limited. Like most quests chains are "talk* to A, who tells you to talk to B on the other side of the world, who tells you to talk to C D and E who are nearby, go back to B, who now tells you to go to some corner of the wilderness, fight one enemy, go back to B, who sends you back to A"
*talk means right-clicking them

The writing is v good but man, the tasks are so boring

The story is the big draw but doesn't use its mmoness, at all. You are the chosen one protagonist, other players do not exist. If you asked me "did ffxiv have to be an MMO to say what it wants to say" my answer is a Big No. The mmmorpg gameplay is about as good as it gets but it's so sequestered from the story and plot and characters, i'm a little amazed it doesn't bug more people

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jrpgs are usually punchier than this

Plot beats that involve spending an hour running errands for an NPC in exchange for information can happen in other jrpgs, maybe as a sort of gag, but here it's constant

Idk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This one piece of media is below average in its punchosity. Sorry libs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

I'm really digging the style of FF14's storytelling just cause it's such a slow immersion into its setting and the worldbuilding is the best I've ever seen in a video game. There's so much texture and richness and history and every conversation peels back another layer and you learn things without even knowing their full importance until they crop back up later. Like how the whole start of the game is about you defending your city from their local beast tribe and its not until hours later that you find out holy poo poo the real baddies are the summons or how Ungust first shows up as this random rear end in a top hat and you tell him to gently caress off and its like ok that happened but then not long he shows back up and plays a huge role in the Ifrit saga or how Redolent Rose runs the Weaver's Guild but also has a secret gig moonlighting as a competition host in the Gold Saucer. As someone who's main interests in video games are in setting and story it hits all my main itches.

Like, it's still more gameplay than visual novels

Idk if the evil merchant episode or the reveal that there's more going on than you first thought is particularly unique to ffxiv, it's basic fiction stuff! Except slower (so much teleporting, walking, talking)

Agreed on the worldbuilding tho, lots of details and it holds together great

My main thesis is that it could've absolutely been single-player only, nothing about the setting or story requires other players. An open world jrpg, like idk dragon's dogma? I haven't played very many open world jrpgs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m :f5:ing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress I love Oblivion

God drat I love Elder Scrolls

I was watching a challenge run of Skyrim (“beat the game without using the left analog stick”) and the player did an exploit that made shouts have no cooldown and I thought, “drat now this looks like a fun game”, just zipping around and breathing fire like a true dragon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That’s the one! A real treat :)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Before good & evil

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Baldurs gate, set in the high fantasy world of Faerun, opens with a credited nietzche quote

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember Sawyer voicing quite the displeasure at it's inclusion

He didn't work on the b's gs 😯

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We call ourselves ubisofties

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Trying to guess which grand company Rarity picked... most probably the lame forestfolk one just because it’s where she started / got to see the most of but I would be very happy to be wrong

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ffxiv:
Last night I marathoned / shotgunned / chugged the infamous pre-titan quest line, idk what got revamped in the revamp but it was fine, a couple of decent story moments and characters

Still a qiest or two too long ofc, and made worse by the fact that the actual Titan encounter feels like a footnote, it's over so fast in comparison to the dumb chores the previous guys just made you do to prove yourself. Weird!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

I have not yet seen all the speeches but it'll probably be Gridania yeah because Ul'dah should be burned do the ground and I don't want Merlwyb to step on me

Oh yeah how can you not love the "it is the will of the forest spirits 🙀" faction

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have trouble with looking at ff7r because they made our heroes too gorgeous

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can't spell "who cares about gex" without GEX!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some video games where the main protagonist is purposefully ugly? I don't mean games where the art or graphics are bad or have aged poorly enough that the design is ugly and I don't mean games that try to go for the "ugly cute" aesthetic. I mean games where the protagonist is just intentionally designed to be ugly. I will not accept examples that are from character creation games because those don't count.

Disco Elysium is what comes to mind for me.

Leisure suit larry
The Witcher (supposedly)
Splatoon (i can only hope)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The stage conceit doesn't make too much sense when you think about it, for many reasons

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s a time vampire lmao

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Timies sound like a sweet & sour candy, delicious

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If it's a mere remaster just emulate the ogs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One time at a futureshop when I was like ten years old, the goon working the video game section gave me grief for not understanding that everquest required a credit card to play. Absolutely traumatizing experience. gently caress you goon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFXIV lore question:

Is this the agreed-upon eorzean greeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I legit thought it was a person high-fiving