Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
July 4th is cancelled along with your freedom. Pour one out for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
July 2022: F*ck You I Won't Do The Bare Minimum Expected of an Elected Official

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

quote:

President Joe Biden is a genuinely good man, but he has yet been unable to break through our national malady of denial, deceit, and distrust. A return of Donald Trump would feed the sickness, probably rendering it incurable. Congress is particularly disappointing: Our elected officials put a finger in the wind more frequently than they show backbone against it. Too often, Washington demonstrates the maxim that for evil to thrive only requires good men to do nothing.

Understatement of the last three decades.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Expose Mithfield Deathstar?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The only reason to visit has now occurred.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Love that video. Would love it even more if their insurance company got their hands on it when they go to file a claim.

gently caress the insurance company, they should still pay out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yes, I think *at worst* an insurance company should be able to set your initial rate higher if you have documented cases of claims due to negligence. None of this corporate bullshit of taking your money and penalizing you for life for any claims you ever do use, let alone the authority to deny claims.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It was done with a gun, America is probably involved in some way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

piL posted:

If Japan doesn't revise article 9, can it legally aid the defense of Taiwan if there isn't an attack on Japan first?

"legally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, and the answer is they'll help or not as the political winds blow. The boats and missiles have no concept of legality in their arming circuits.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

piL posted:

Why bother with this Article 9 stuff then?

Justification and posturing. Thats the thing you do in politics to make people support your side. Its all circus.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I refuse to believe that FTL travel is impossible. The universe is endless and we will eventually explore it rather than be stuck only on one tiny spec of sand.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Omon Ra posted:

Why not just log off?

To hide the dumb QCS avatar while he's busy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dum Cumpster posted:

How does that town's people not simply devour the government and police force with their hands and teeth?

Conservatives are too cowardly to go against their media values.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Zamujasa posted:

can't wait until biden recovers and goes "see? covid is nothing but a mild cold. everyone should go back to work. open 'er up!"

The world is already back to normal. We have widespread rollout of vaccines and it's become endemic. It's been a little more then a performative event for at least six months now. We're still at like 500k new cases a week or something right?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Platystemon posted:

Nah.

That term has a real definition in the field of epidemiology, and we’re not there.

It’s still very much in the chaotic, epidemic phase.

HIV is also still epidemic, forty years since identification and more like a century since it jumped to humans.

Traveling all the time for the last 18months has left me feeling like covid is now treated with the same level of fucks given as car accidents and heart attacks. To me the difference between that and the medical definition is literally academic. The only thing we can do now is keep pushing vaccines and develop drugs to mitigate for those who catch it. No amount of handwringing will get a bigger response than that anymore.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nobody takes it seriously because it's no more serious than regular risks anymore. I realize that's a heartless thing to say to people who are immunocompromised. Life sucks but we don't have overflowing ERs with people dying at this point. I'm only speaking from anecdotal evidence of places where i'm primarily active, being New England and Spain, but half my family works in medicine and even they're over it. Everybody just seems to pop positive and spend a day or two in bed taking ibuprofen.

It was awful, and we didn't take sufficient steps to mitigate the disaster. But two and a half years later and this is the new normal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

I forgot anecdotes start with a definitive statement such as defining how much of a risk something is, thanks

You're right, I did mean to say the perceived risk. My bad

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Any lock can be "bypassed" with a plasma torch and an angle grinder.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
To continue my anecdotal self-immolation here are the informal survey results of an ER Doctor, ER nurse, and Travel nurse: Fucks given about Covid - 3/10, 4/10, and 4/10. Worry's about monkeypox - 6/10, 8/10, and 9/10.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I assume it's that these days covid is a know quantity, so it doesn't worry people. While monkey pox is a new major disease on the horizon while the start of the last major epidemic is still in recent memory.

Nobody wants to go through April 2020 again.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Guam is the island of misfit children and is effectively cheap tropical vegas

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

facialimpediment posted:

$50B in incentives inbound to make more semiconductors in-country.

I have a personal and professional need to start my own fab. How do I tap into this governmental largesse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Burt posted:

Also from someone who used to commute monthly to Australia from the UK for a living, airlines ranking;

Any Far Eastern > Any Middle Eastern >>>> Any European National >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any US >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any Euro budget >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any ex-sov bloc >>>>>>>> RyanAir

From my transatlantic work commutes I can confirm that Iberia is awesome. As long as you don't accidently select a Star Alliance Iberia operated by American.

My one Ryan Air flight boarded the whole plane, found out half an hour later it had a flat tire. Disembarked everyone, and managed to be 3 hours late.