Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Guardians are mercenaries. They only ran afoul of the Sovereign after doing a regular merc job for them in 2. They probably were racing off to a trouble spot so they could hang a "monster fighting: 1,000,000 units" banner from their ship in orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

josh04 posted:

Taking it at face value just makes it weirder that they dump the extremely powerful guy who was helping them out. Not exactly effective altruism there, Starlord.

I mean they dumped an annoying guy cuz he was obnoxious and annoying the entire time. In a team full of “a-holes,” Thor was the biggest one of all

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rewatching this and Gorr's character in the beginning of the movie is so soul crushing. I wish this had been two different movies. The sad parts are really sad. The funny parts could be in a movie of their own but they break the pace really hard.

I'm happy that the villain wins at the end, even if he is successfully stopped, he manages to get his one wish.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Xealot posted:

"Remember how 15 years ago there was this groundswell of empathy and a profound rejection of systems built on greed and oppression? Well gently caress all that, let's make money, greed is good."

It's sad that it has now been more than 30 years since that and we're still in a "greed is good" zeitgeist.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Have to assume the child soldiers bit is in there to tie in with the upcoming Avengers ride at Disney.

"Kids, Thor is going to give you powers to fight evil in this Marvel brand interactive experience (tm)! Don't forget to get your enchanted hunks if debris in the gift shop on the way out!"

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Elentor posted:

Rewatching this and Gorr's character in the beginning of the movie is so soul crushing. I wish this had been two different movies. The sad parts are really sad. The funny parts could be in a movie of their own but they break the pace really hard.

I'm happy that the villain wins at the end, even if he is successfully stopped, he manages to get his one wish.

I don't mind the tonal shift. Real life, especially during tragedy, is always a mix of emotions.

The film has other issues but I found the fun and comedic parts make the others even more sad.

It's a mirror of what Jane is going through. She has cancer and it's probably not going to get better and she's trying to have one last adventure but she can't escape her illness it brings her fun adventure to a screeching halt just as she's forgetting about it for just a moment while being a bad rear end.

The tonal shifts make us feel how she is feeling.

She's a make a wish kid with terminal cancer on a trip to Disney World but every time she starts really getting into it and really having fun there's a reminder she is sick and she will die.

It's actually a very sad movie, even with the fun parts.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The people whose temple he destroyed don't like Thor after that. They hate him and give him the goats to gently caress with him.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheNamedSavior posted:

Because it's not China, it's loving Disney. Disney could probably overthrow the CPC over night with their media empire alone, but they won't because they are just as cowardly, racist, and fascist as the "communists" are. Ironically Disney's "NO IT'S CHINA" defense will probably lead to "gay liberals" joining the military just to shoot up those "evil gay bashers" (even tho China's culture was a million times more friendly to Gay people before the ugly british empire tried to conquer them) when or if (Gods, I hope it's an "if") WW3 comes up.

????

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pik_d posted:

The silliest thing about Thor empowering the children was that he could have done that in any of the previous dozen or so films but never did. Imagine the Wakandan guard with the power of Thor.
I think the movies have been pretty clear that he didn't really begin mastering his Godly power until Ragnarok. He couldn't even make lightning on command before that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

LionArcher posted:

The villain doesn't even want to hurt the kids, just use them as bait. The monsters aren't there to kill the kids, their there to stop Thor.

Aside from a few alien refugees they picked up along the way, all those kids are Asgardian. If Gor succeeds in wishing that all Gods die, those kids will die too.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think the movies have been pretty clear that he didn't really begin mastering his Godly power until Ragnarok. He couldn't even make lightning on command before that.

Also I don't think Thor realized he could empower others until Jane/Cap picked up Mjolnir.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Charlz Guybon posted:

He definitely could, he uses it plenty in the first two movies. He just had a mental block that he needed Mjolnir to do it

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Elentor posted:

My thoughts exactly. Bale was so good in this. As a father to a girl the same age, I was hit hard by the opening scene. I was rooting for Gorr the whole movie.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 13, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrMidnight posted:

My thoughts exactly. Bale was so good in this. As a father to a girl the same age, I was hit hard by the opening scene. I was rooting for Gorr the whole movie.

Also neither Bale nor Portman phoned in their sad scenes,

When I was told the movie started silly and whimsical I was confused if I was watching the correct movie when it started with Bale looking in utter despair over his pain and loss of daughter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gorr's design and journey was Dark Souls as gently caress too

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

someone fed "China", "disney", and "schizophrenia" into an ai bot

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't have a lot to say about this movie, but earlier in this thread someone was incredulous that they cut from Thor's wacky shenanigans to an MRI machine and chemo at the beginning, wondering how they could mess up the tone that badly.

I don't know how you can think the people making this movie just didn't notice that they had created transition. It's obviously intentional.

This movie has incredibly silly parts and incredibly sad parts and the tension between those tones feels like the whole point of the movie. It seems like a lot of people ended up being confused by that, so maybe it wasn't a good choice, but it was at the very least a novel experience so that was cool for me.

I personally thought the whiplash was effective at catching you off guard and making the sad bits more emotionally impactful and the silly bits more refreshing but also nicely bittersweet. But I was pretty drunk when I watched this so I'm not going to defend it further than that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, bittersweet is right. The emptiness Thor is struggling with, his desperate attempts to invoke "classic Thor adventures," it's not actually a good thing to have your culture reduced to the stereotype of wacky space vikings. It's as much a part of their culture dying as King Valkyrie having to shill for Old Spice or Mjolnir being put on display for tourists from the cruise ships we see parked alongside New Asgard.

Thor 3 used Asgard as a stand-in for colonial powers. We saw the lies they told themselves about civilizing the universe crumble away to reveal their actual history of bloody conquest.

In Thor 4, they're now refugees being forced to assimilate into the dominant Earth culture. It's not a conflict to place that next to images of someone dying of cancer. And the fantasy of being a space viking? That's just killing her faster.

There's the bittersweet hope that it might inspire some literal children. But even the silly parts have a sadness that this is all that's left.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Eiba posted:

I don't know how you can think the people making this movie just didn't notice that they had created transition.
This is the movie where they admitted they accidentally left in a shot of Valkyrie "twitching" because she was reacting to something that had happened ten seconds earlier in that scene.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Eiba posted:

I don't have a lot to say about this movie, but earlier in this thread someone was incredulous that they cut from Thor's wacky shenanigans to an MRI machine and chemo at the beginning, wondering how they could mess up the tone that badly.

I don't know how you can think the people making this movie just didn't notice that they had created transition. It's obviously intentional.

This movie has incredibly silly parts and incredibly sad parts and the tension between those tones feels like the whole point of the movie. It seems like a lot of people ended up being confused by that, so maybe it wasn't a good choice, but it was at the very least a novel experience so that was cool for me.

I personally thought the whiplash was effective at catching you off guard and making the sad bits more emotionally impactful and the silly bits more refreshing but also nicely bittersweet. But I was pretty drunk when I watched this so I'm not going to defend it further than that.

I think you’re insane op

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eiba posted:

This might be me you're talking about, but I stand by it.

Tonal whiplash like that can be effective when done right, but it wasn't done right here. They aren't saying anything effective with that cut, and the fact that it goes right back into wacky hijinks drives home that the goal was to get out a plot point.

Put another way, my. Main issue is that you can do that sort of cut, but you need to hold one and explore it for some length of time then ramp back up to the fun adventure story. Or alternately, you need to make it clear that you are *trying* to get that reaction.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo this was a good movie but an extremely messy movie. Would love to see the original version before it was hacked up and reshot.

Also the screaming goats were great.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I thought the movie was good for the most part, but why was there so much GnR? Does the MCU take place in a universe where Chinese Democracy never released and Axl Rose wasn’t a constant embarrassment?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Edmund Lava posted:

I thought the movie was good for the most part, but why was there so much GnR? Does the MCU take place in a universe where Chinese Democracy never released and Axl Rose wasn’t a constant embarrassment?

Thanks for the flashback to my years of overhyping Chinese Democracy's potential, and going gaga over Madagascar. It was a disappointment but boy I didn't notice HOW MUCH until years later when I got back into GnR.

Hey at least it's no Spaghetti Incident? That one has a single solid track and it ain't even their song.

I too am curious why there's so much GnR - mind you, I love GnR and think it fit the aesthetic well (Except 'Sweet Child' is on my 'played to death hate to hear' list still)...but why not mix in some other 80s bands?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think they just decided that this was the GnR movie. :shrug: I thought it worked, especially the November Rain bit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edmund Lava posted:

It’s taikia’s favorite band

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Movie was meh

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
What band will Thor 5 be based around? I've got my fingers crossed for Bon Jovi.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they hadn't made being a god look fun and lighthearted and wonderful, Jane's decision not to live her last days in the nightmare Real World™ of cancer and chemo wouldn't have been as impactful or relatable.

They did all of that on purpose. You just don't like it. You can just not like a thing without that thing being an affront to things everywhere.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It’s taikia’s favorite band

But surely every director has a favourite band? That still doesen't connect them to the plot or themes of the movie.

LividLiquid posted:

If they hadn't made being a god look fun and lighthearted and wonderful, Jane's decision not to live her last days in the nightmare Real World™ of cancer and chemo wouldn't have been as impactful or relatable.

They did all of that on purpose. You just don't like it. You can just not like a thing without that thing being an affront to things everywhere.

Im sure the whole idea of 'the real world is drab and awful, the fantasy world is vibrant and fun, this creates poignance when Real Serious Things intrude on that world' has been done in fantasy stories before (although I confess Im drawing a blank on specific examples). But it really wasn't working here. In part because there wasn't really a cinematic contrast between Janes drab world of cancer. If the movie had gone all in on long scenes of bleak hospital rooms before the viewer is allowed to 'escape' into wackiness I would have got it. If Jane had been more of a POV character and we'd spend the beginning of the movie wondering what Thor was up to that could have worked too.

The idea youre putting forward kind of suggests a sense of wonder as we move from the Real World into the Fantasy God World but Marvel sucks at that because the Marvel Fantasy God world is generally tonally flat and played like a sitcom with superpowers.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 21, 2022

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

What band will Thor 5 be based around? I've got my fingers crossed for Bon Jovi.

Thor 3 was 70s psychedelic rock, Thor 4 was 80s hard rock, Thor 5 will be whatever is iconic for the 90s, grunge, boys bands or 90s hip hop. With any luck we'll get to Thor 7 or 8 and get the Kpop Thor movie we've all been waiting for. But before that we'll have to suffer through Thor 6, the Nu Metal one though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

massive spider posted:

But surely every director has a favourite band? That still doesen't connect them to the plot or themes of the movie.

taika posted:

But the truth is that the filmmaker has been a longtime fan of the band, as he proclaims that “it’s always been a dream of mine” to feature the Guns N’ Roses somehow in his work.

https://discussingfilm.net/2022/07/07/taika-waititi-on-why-the-guns-n-roses-fit-perfectly-in-thor-love-and-thunder/

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok! But my point is that doesn’t make it a good idea! That sounds like pretty much the definition of a self indulgence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

massive spider posted:

Ok! But my point is that doesn’t make it a good idea! That sounds like pretty much the definition of a self indulgence.

It was a pretty good idea

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
dont you see, Christian Pale was taking revenge for the death of that sweet child of his

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

This is the difficulty I'm having with Marvel stuff these days. There's an element of exhaustion where a lot of stuff I enjoyed about the MCU ten years ago, and maybe was even still able to tolerate 2 or 3 years ago, is just grating on me now. The pervasive use of greenscreen, the constant sarcasm and neverending quips, characters that haphazardly change personalities from movie to movie, they're all things that have always come with the package but I'm just worn down at this point and it's harder and harder for me to wade through it all and still enjoy the material.

So yea, I think what's happened is that I just gradually arrived at a place where I no longer like this thing that I used to like.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

massive spider posted:

Of course it's self indulgent but it's fun.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I know “but it’s fun” is pretty much a conversation terminator but I’m gonna say, no. Unfun. I decide which things are fun things and this is not.

References aren’t good just for being references to unrelated already-liked pop culture things. Good references remix or recontextualise the source to make something fresh. Otherwise youre just doing the Ready Player One thing of referencing it and hoping affection for the source carries over.

I’m not even saying there needs to be a deep meaning behind it, if the whole soundtrack had at least been re recorded versions of guns and roses like the version of sweet child of mine in the trailer that would have been something. Weave it into the orchestration! But it’s just the album versions of some of the most well known rock songs in the world dumped straight in there.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 21, 2022

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

massive spider posted:

Weave it into the orchestration!

Oh my god would I kill for this, Thor 4 GnR Orchestral Suite edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Should be able to dig a bit deeper than loving Guns N Roses. There's a thousand and one metal bands you could get from the 80s alone.