Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Yeah, Gant has noted on at least one occasion that the only person he looks out for is himself. He was angling to become Chief of Police and Lana probably told him at some point that she was planning to become Chief Prosecutor. Having his partner in a high position with the prosecutors would favor Gant greatly but it likely hinged on nailing Darke to the wall on murder charges... charges that Gant and everyone else were having a hell of a time getting to stick.

So the way I see it is that Joe Darke is brought in to be interrogated by Neil Marshall and Gant, something or other causes Darke to bolt and Neil to pursue, Gant gets there in time to see Darke, Neil and Ema out cold (likely with the piece of Neil's jacket still firmly in her grip). Gant gets An Idea which leads to the big frame job with Neil speared on the statue and everyone else arranged in a way such that Lana, when she arrives, concludes that Ema accidentally killed Neil, a conclusion that Gant is all too happy to agree with.

One thing leads to another and everything is coming up Gant: a (technically) innocent man was executed, Gant was promoted to Chief of Police, and the woman who would become Chief Prosecutor was 'convinced' to do whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 165: Episode 5, Epilogue: Free

Music: Victory! The First Victory

(At long last... It's finally over...)

Sound: Realization

E-Ema?

Why the long face?
Sound: Stab

I'm sorry your sister didn't get completely off the hook,

No, that's not it.

I owe you my thanks, Mr. Wright.

Sound: Wipe

And to you too, Mr. Edgeworth.

...!
Sound: Light Bulb

You've done well.

But...

Lana didn't say a single word to me.

Music: Silence

Sound: Door Opens

Oh...

Guess I am.

I'll come back later.
Sound: Whack

Wait! Detective Gumshoe! What is it?

They've done this bit three times now and I still love it.

Hey, lighten up pals.

I'm only kidding!

Nope,

not this time!

I came today because of

you, pal!

Me...?

Lana!

She's still under arrest, you know.

Ema...

I owe you

an apology.

That day, two years ago...

...!

Music: Recollection ~ The SL-9 Incident

It was all I could do to keep myself from screaming.

Sis...

I thought I was doing it for your sake...

I changed after that day.

Sound: Wipe

The real Lana had been locked away ever since then.

but I couldn't bring myself to tell you what I did.

...Please don't bite open your thumb again. In fact you should probably go get that open wound from earlier looked at now.

I was scared of how you'd react if you knew...

No...

Huh?

I turned my back on you that day.

Sis...

Ema...

I'm so sorry.

But Sis!

You don't have to apologize!

You're... happy?

Of course!

You know, Sis,

Music: Ema Skye ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

And now you have!

Oh, Ema... Ema!

No one can change the past.

Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask?

Because in so doing...

we can find the way back to our rightful path.

Mr. Wright. Mr. Gumshoe.

M-Me?

I'm sure we'll meet again someday.

Isn't that right,

Edgeworth?

E-Edgeworth...?

(Where was he hiding!?)

I just came to say...

Congratulations.

Thank you.

Thank you, Mr. Edgeworth!

...!

We were the ones who acted corruptly,

not you.

Music: Recollection ~ The DL-6 Incident

It's too late for me.

...!

No matter what anyone may say,

Mr. Edgeworth...

This flashback is the first time I've noticed enough to go back and check... the original version of these lines took place on two panels, not one. Why? :iiam:

!

I do despise criminals.

But in order to fight crime on my own, I'd need a "weapon."

Is he saying he's a prosecutor instead of a cop because he doesn't want to wield a gun?

But Edgeworth...

Edgeworth... Don't you understand?

...!

But they both made

the same mistake.

That may be true,

but think back to today's trial.

...!

You were working together with Mr. Wright.

And because of that partnership,

Isn't that right,

Mr. Wright?

Huh? What? Oh, uh... yeah. (What is this, a pop quiz?)

(Evidence, huh...)

(Something that neither Edgeworth nor I would've been able to find on our own...)

Plenty of options here, but only one piece of evidence really makes for the perfect symbol here.

Wright and Edgeworth literally each had one half of this list.

Our counterattack began with this.

Apart, we wouldn't have been able to completely restore Ema's picture.

...!

quote:

Nothing else will work here:

That might mean something to you,

but I don't see how it had anything to do with our partnership.

Huh?

Mr. Wright.

It seems you still have a lot to learn as well.

(I guess that wasn't the right piece of evidence.)

Like with the other epilogues, we still continue with the rest of the scene, but without the happy payoff...

Mr. Edgeworth...

If you'll excuse me...

Take care, Chief Prosecutor.

Edgeworth! What will you do now?

Well, whatever you do, just remember.

quote:

Original line: "What happened in this trial can either make or break you as a prosecutor." Just kind of... mean? Glad they revised that one.

In the end, it's up to you.

But what I face now...

is my problem.

Edgeworth... I'll be waiting for you in court.

I'd better be going, too.

Okay...

But I'll be by to visit soon!

It seems we both have a lot to learn, and catching up to do.

"Scientific Investigation"...

Thanks, Sis!

I will!

As for the sisters... I have faith.

have only just begun.

(Sorry I had to shrink that one, it was an enormous file with all that movement.)

A journey to rediscover myself.

Huh? What is it, Detective?

You see, she isn't supposed to be out of jail like this.

But...

I thought you said it was okay.

Huh?

Believe me, it wasn't cheap either!

Huh?

Yeah, well... ha ha!

You see...

Huh? Huh?

Huh? Huh? Huh?

Poor Phoenix, even when he gets paid it just vanishes so quickly.

(Why is it...)

(I suddenly feel like I want to scream?)

Yeah! That's a great idea!

Come on, guys!

Let's go!!!

Sound: Objection

How else would you end the game, but with a Phoenix Wright objection?

Music: Rise from the Ashes - End

The credits roll, and for each screen we get the fingerprinting dust spread over the screen and then blown away to reveal the names. Pretty neat effect, but it's hard to capture so I'm not going to show it for the rest of these. If you want, though, I did save off a video of the entire credits sequence.

The dialogue during the credits doesn't come with any of the normal bips for each character of text. Really lets you soak in the music instead. The panels auto-advance on completion, too, not requiring any player input.

I hope she'll be pleased to study under a top coroner.

Still, I'll manage to find my way back to the field somehow.

Now I want a "Skye Investigations" game.

Not sure what "Planning" means here... this person wasn't in the original credits.

Another new name. Does "Design" refer to the characters maybe?

they overlooked my unauthorized investigation of the Chief's office.

Results matter, I suppose.

Yep. That's what they said.

Two more new names. Though the second name is similar to one of the "Graphics" credits after Episode 4; that was "Tatsurou Iwamoto".

Okay, four total "Art" credits there, double the original game.

Not surprising that so many of the names are different here. This episode came out four years after the rest of the game, and who knows how much of the original staff was still around at the time. Only the writer is the same so far; explains why the script and dialogue still felt so much like the original.

Sound: Thud 2

Can you believe it? I've been demoted to security guard!

My partner's keeping an eye on the entrance for me today.

Sound: Gavel

I'll show them, though! Someday I'm going to make detective!

Sound: Ween

Whhhyyyyyyyyy

Not sure how "Graphics" differs from "Art", but okay. Did this episode actually take that many more people to put together, or did not everyone get into the credits last time?

I'm just glad they didn't switch to that music.

Now why did they have one programmer on the first page, and three on the second?

Well, cowboy... It looks like you did it.

You even gave Bambina back her smile.

You left them in Meekins's care, you should be worried about them.

I really liked the new music for this episode, but if this person made that Meekins bullhorn sound effect then that offets all the good music.

As a farewell gift, I put a new meal on the menu: The Wright Way Lunch.

That does sound like an accurate recreation of the experience of each of our cases.

Kids seem to dig the turnabout theme. It's a hot seller around exam time!

I hope this credit is for the updated translation in the HD port. That original translation was pretty rough.

Same here.

Let's see, what was his name again?

Mr. Left...?

Well anyway!

I've got another trial to get to, so I'd better be...

The judge is low-key an excellent character. I don't think we've ever seen that background without his sprite in there, either.

Now I have to go look up the difference between "Localization" and "Translation".

From what I saw, the original release was "translated" and the HD port was "localized".

Maya!

Hey that's a new background. I bet it's from the next game.

Still, I can't go back until

I'm a full-fledged spirit medium!

Coming!!!

Lots of people to thank...

Most unexpected cameo of the episode.

I brought you your tea...

Looks a lot like Edgeworth's resignation letter...

Huh, even the producers were different.

I can't believe I'm going to Europe.

I'm a little sad,

but I'll be all right!

Surprise! One last bit of interactivity.

Just like with the "Evidence Law" book, we have to turn it over and examine the back.

No surprises this time; we're really done.

This episode had a lot of what made the fourth episode great. There wasn't really one single big twist, but lots of little ones yanking me back and forth the whole second half of the episode served just as well, if not better. I think it really suffered from getting rushed out for the DS release, and maybe from not being limited by the GBA cartridge constraints. A little more and tighter editing and more time on localization would have made a lot of difference here; the narrative just didn't hang together quite as tightly as the prior episodes. Gant's motives in general don't make a lot of sense, either for spontaneously killing Neil Marshall in the SL-9 Incident, or for directing us towards the "murder" in the evidence room when Lana was about to be convicted on that first day of trial.

Some pet peeves bothered me the longer the episode went on - the multi-sprite panels were fun at first, but got over-used by the end and were getting thrown in on almost every panel, even when doing so didn't make any sense. The evidence list got obscenely large, and the last day of trial really could have benefited from the same trimming that was done on the last day of the fourth episode. The evidence examination mechanic provided some fun flavor text but never really felt necessary outside the scenes where we were forced to use it anyway.

The first half of the episode, and to a lesser extent the episode in general, is a like a lesson in "less is more". We have 116 updates in the first four episodes combined, and 49 updates in this last episode. Even more telling, the last episode had me taking over 5200 screenshots, compared to over 7500 screenshots for the rest of the game combined. I'm pretty sure those screenshots had more text in them, and that I had more talking-head lines between screenshots in this episode, too. So not only were there more updates in this episode, but each update was also a lot denser than before. Still, the back half of the episode was incredibly enjoyable, and the series of twists on the final day was impressive. The prior episodes had the game fooling the player, but this episode basically had me fooling myself. That's next-level mystery writing.

The game overall was fantastic and even this episode was something I wouldn't have regretted purchasing as DLC, so don't let my criticisms give you a false impression here. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from beginning of the end, despite any relatively small road bumps along the way. Even the last episode mostly suffers from being compared to the excellent fourth episode, which sets an incredibly high bar.

And with that, we've completed one-third of the trilogy! There are still two more games to go... I'll start a new thread when I'm ready to dive into the next one! Until then, thank you all for following along on this 19-month blind journey through an old classic!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:toot:

Congratulations!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Once again, amazing job on this LP. The work you put in was incredible. I hope you'll get around to the other two games; rest assured they uphold the standard of quality of the first.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well done, and thanks for taking us along on this ride.

Interested to see your impressions of the second game... after a well deserved break.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thanks for the LP! Well done getting it done.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Congratulations! And I appreciate you putting up with those of us who voted to badge everything in an effort to both show engagement and not give out spoilers.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Thanks for the LP. Ace Attorney is still one of my favorite games and I hope you'll find the next game in the trilogy just as good when you get around to it.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It's over! Congratulations on finishing a mammoth of an LP. I really enjoyed it and it was fun to revisit the game through your eyes. Very well done! Looking forward to more, if or when you decide to jump into Justice For All! May I recommend putting a link in this thread when the new one is made, just in case we might miss it otherwise?

One of these days, presenting the badge will be the right option, for sure.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
It truly is a legendary achievement you've accomplished today. You've succeeded where so many before you have failed. Here's to hoping you can keep it up!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Massive congrats on getting an LP of Ace Attorney done, with such quality and blind even. Your reactions and theories were always fun to read.

Hope you get well rested enough to tackle the best (worst) (best) game in the series!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Justice for All is an interesting beast, and I'd be excited to see a full-on Let's Play of it.

Will you drop the thread link here when it's ready?

DKII posted:

Now I want a "Skye Investigations" game.

We almost got one, but it was canceled. :(

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2024

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Amazing job with being that thorough with the whole LP, that's a herculean effort there. It's always fun to read blind reactions so can't wait to see your JFA run.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Amazing job, it was really fun reliving this game and seeing your thoughts evolve. Excited to see you get to JFA whenever that happens!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Amazing work, congrats on making it through!

I do enjoy Rise From the Ashes, and I think it definitely adds to the series, but I think its biggest flaw is how much it retreads the throughline of Turnabout Goodbyes. You've got the big important criminal justice guy manipulating a prosecutor by convincing them a child had committed an accidental murder, and said prosecutor now stood to take the fall for another murder they didn't commit, because they could not speak up about their original trauma. There's a lot of other differences, but these two cases feel far more similar than any of the first four cases do to one another.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

19 months well spent. You really went above and beyond with this LP.

I'll go ahead and second the suggestion of dropping a link in here when you start the thread for the next game. For now, though, you should enjoy your break.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks all. I'll totally put the link in here when it's time for JfA. I'm aiming for about two months off, but we'll see how life goes during that time.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Congrats on finishing the first game! Hopefully your breaks don't turn out to be much, much longer than you plan on them being, as mine usually are.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Omedetou*!
Localizer's note: Omedetou means congratulations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Congratu- wait, that's the wrong anime...

Seriously though, well done! And I'm glad you liked it, (rightful) critiques and all! Take your time with the next one, and hopefully... you'll enjoy it just as much!

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Congratulations! Real impressive job, this is always a nice time when you put out a new update.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Really enjoyed this whole LP, congrats on making it through. Enjoy having a nice long break!

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Congrats on making it through the marathon! I've played the original AA1 (and especially Turnabout Goodbye and Rise from the Ashes) easily a dozen times and I've never seen a bunch of the alternate dialogue you showed off or any of the new translation. Janet Hsu did a great job 20 years ago, but seeing how the new translation fixes some of the occasionally awkward dialogue was really really neat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Congratulations on finishing the game. Ending isn’t that great, but it was good for the story, I guess. I’ll be watching for your return.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Thanks, and congratulations. You did a wonderful job.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the LP!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
This was a great LP! Thanks for letting me see somebody experience it fresh and new, like the first time I played this game.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This has been a great thread, fantastic work! Looking forward to the next one ❤️

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I can't believe Goodman was killed by Harry Butz.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Discovered this thread late, but drat was it a nice trip down memory lane. I loved it when I played it back then. I played it in french, it was funny to note how they kept the same level of jokes with names and small sentences.

"The sky is blue and so am I," became "Le ciel est gris et mon humeur aussi," = "The sky is gray and so is my mood."

April May became Masha Vrill, which sounds like "Mars Avril" = Marsh April. It's littered with stuff like that, I would have loved to witness the translation team scratch their heads thinking "this is dumb, how the hell will we keep this tone?"

Anyway, thanks a huge lot for the Let's play, This game means a lot to me, I remember being in my bed on my DS and scratching my head thinking this is impossible, brute forcing my way and being so delighted to have the ending to the last case. I still got goosebumps when the music starts after bringing out a correct objection that gets the murderer in a bind. It was a real pleasure rediscovering it (and that drat vase). Thank you.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 13, 2024

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Just caught up today I had an absolute blast watching you experience this story with all its twists and turns for the first time.

In I think case 3, you mentioned the moment where you finally realize exactly what happened and how good that moment is - the games keep that up throughout, in one of the latest titles the revelation moment for me was so strong I had to put the game down and just sit there for fifteen minutes.

Anyway, I can't wait for you to get to JFA, the first game in the series I played and still my favorite.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Show the attorney badge

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

...! posted:

Show the attorney badge

:psyduck:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

...! posted:

Show the attorney badge

:hai:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

...! posted:

Show the attorney badge

:cripes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

What, it's the most sensible option

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
As long as we're on the subject of the badge...

If any of you thought that the devs were making up weird things, here you can see real lapel pins worn by members of the various Japanese legal professions (and one for cheese enthusiasts).

Looking closely, you'll see Phoenix's (and other defense attorneys) at the top left. A sixteen petal sunflower with the scales of justice in the center. Pheonix is actually required to wear it when he's on the job. And presenting the badge actually is a real thing that some lawyers do, wearing it on the inside of their lapel and then revealing it with a flourish to prove their lawyerlyness.

Remember a thousand years ago, when DKII presented the badge to Ema and she talked about how shiny and gold it was? That was actually a (probably unintended) minor insult to Phoenix. It's considered a mark of pride for lawyers when the gold plating on their badges wears off to show the base metal underneath, a sign of how long they've been in the field. The badge is technically the property of the bar association and you could be penalized for losing it (although this is usually just in the form of shaming you by publishing your name in an annual list of "losers who lost their badges").

Besides Phoenix, many other characters also have professional badges. Gumshoe and the other cops, obviously, but even the Judge (and other court employees) get in on the action, the second one in the top row is for court employees, emblazoned with the kanji 裁 (to judge) inside an octagonal mirror, representing the mirror from the imperial regalia.

Edgeworth doesn't wear his badge like Phoenix, but his is the third one. A white-petaled chrysanthemum flower with the Japanese rising sun emblem in the middle, symbolizing a lot of nonsense about the scorching sun and autumn frost which justifies harsh legal punishments. Sufficiently high-ranking prosecutors have to be approved by the Emperor. Similar badges (with varying numbers of petals, and usually without the sun) are worn by other civil servants, including members of the Diet. Even the royal family have their own special chrysanthemum badges.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Truthkeeper posted:

It's considered a mark of pride for lawyers when the gold plating on their badges wears off to show the base metal underneath, a sign of how long they've been in the field.

Lana said something to that effect when you meet her the first time and present your badge to her.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of badges, we did also see the design of the prosecutor one on the floor of Gant/Lana's office:

Though one I've been wondering about is the police badge, which looks like either a claw machine or a person holding it up. Is that from anything? We see it on a couple of characters; here's a shot where you can see it on Jake from the same update:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

Truthkeeper posted:

here you can see real lapel pins worn by members of the various Japanese legal professions (and one for cheese enthusiasts).

Is it a bad thing that I can't distinguish which ones are for lawyers and which one for cheese enthusiasts?