Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Haar_Dragon posted:

Someone said so earlier, but in JP, the game is explicitly set in Japan. But I'm told that when someone asked a rep from Capcom why "California" had a bunch of really obvious Japan-isms, the official answer given was that it takes place in an Alternate California in which Japanese Internment during WWII wasn't a thing, and they were instead allowed to influence the local culture.

It's long enough ago that I don't remember where I heard this exactly, but I feel like it raises more questions than it answers. Really uncomfortable questions.

The real answer is that Capcom didn't imagine the series would have any legs, so they went ahead and localized references to Japanese culture and then wound up writing themselves into a corner later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
One thing I really like about the Phoenix Wright games is the back-and-forth nature of cross examining witnesses. I find it really satisfying to just hammer on a problem from multiple angles until you can really nail it down. It's a refreshing departure from how most adventure games work.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

Not cool.

Knowing this jerks Japanese name spoils nothing about the localization. In fact, it makes me appreciate it more.

The modnote isn't about the quoted bit, it was about whatever was in the reply before the mods scrubbed it and replaced it with the modnote.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Haar_Dragon posted:

I mean, I won't shut it down, since it's not like I have the experience to say one way or the other, but I'd imagine it's just as much that it's hard to have a detective story when the police are good at their job. Like if that were the case, who needs the detective? Kinda like town guards in western RPGs, they have to be unhelpful so that the hero can do his thing.

Sure, but there's different levels of competence. Usually the point of a detective story is that the crime is particularly unusual and tricky, you can have the police be pretty good at their jobs and still fail to solve it (especially if there are time sensitive elements.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wologar posted:

How dare you slander Gumshoe like that!

ACAB, pal

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

Clearly we need to Present our badge.

yeah, bad form to set up a poll for an LP and then leave the correct answer off. :one:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

Well, they do say a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. :objection:

Luckily that doesn't apply to Phoenix, he's defending his good friend Harry Butz again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

C'mon Wright, you can take this doofus down!

And you've got just the badge to do it with :getin:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

To be fair to White, I'm pretty sure that other than "cogniferous," all of his vocabulations are actual existing words.

"Roundature"?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I mean, the tutorial episode is a burglary gone wrong and the first real episode is busting a high level blackmail ring that has at least one and a half branches of government completely under its thumb, so defending a goddamn gundam or w/e seems like a reasonable next step at the current rate of escalation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
So Phoenix is defending someone for killing Judge Jeanine? :ohdear:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This-!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The discrepency also goes away if you assume that Cody getting "lost" for half an hour in like less than an acre of woods was just how long it took him to find a navigable path through the underbrush. It's not necessary for the woods to be impenetrable to clear Sal and Dee, just that it would take longer than the window of the break they can't vouch for.

EDIT: Of course, they're using each other for an alibi so there's nothing that says they can't have done it together. But if Phoenix brought up such an outlandish conjecture with zero evidence Edgeworth would smirk him into oblivion.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raifield posted:

This part of the case always seemed a bit strange to me. Why couldn't they have just eaten the steaks and tossed the bones in the incinerator? There being nothing on the plates doesn't actually prove anything.

Sal is too gross to clean up after himself and Dee wouldn't lower herself to menial cleaning.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GilliamYaeger posted:

Honestly, she probably shouldn't have done anything. She could have just left the body where it lie, claim that she did it in self-defence and...not been charged with murder? Because it was self-defence, and there's a ton of evidence that Hammer was attempting a premeditated murder. That said she was probably panicking super hard at the whole thing - her emotional response when the guy Hammer killed was brought up suggests that it's still pretty raw even all these years later, and seeing Hammer die at her hands in the exact same manner probably meant she wasn't doing any rational thinking at all after his death.

As a rule, people with connections to organized crime don't want a lot of scrutiny from the police, and attracting too much of it might be damaging to her relationship with her... associates.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

The thing is that we never got proof of Edgeworth being immoral. We are led to believe that he might have falsified evidence, but we aren't told straight if that's true. From Phoenix's point of view, Edgeworth is an absolutely lovely person. But that's Phoenix's viewpoint. We don't see things from Edgeworth's side, though his actions in this case imply that things aren't as simple as we initially thought.

The game does a pretty good job of keeping things ambiguous. Remember in the previous case when Edgeworth dropped this on Phoenix?

DKII posted:

If I raise an objection, I have it on good faith that the judge will listen to me.

On one level, Edgeworth is gloating about how much he's going to gently caress Phoenix over. But he doesn't actually avail himself of the rigged system, so he's just tipping Phoenix off. So on another level he's trying to undermine whatever corrupt backroom deals are going on, without crossing into open insubordination.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rythian posted:

Honestly just waiting for Edgeworth to realize he's stuck with us, unless he wants to defend himself.

Crap, he's going to want to defend himself, for sure.

Please, Edgeworth has principles. He's going to want to prosecute himself.

This is why he does not want to be defended by the only lawyer to beat him in court, because it would give him worse odds of successful prosecution.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

The nice thing is that if you don't get called, I think it's 5 days of checking in before you're considered to have finished jury duty. If you do get called in, you're considered to have finished jury duty whether or not you actually were called into a courtroom or served on a jury.

That's nice, I had to keep checking in for like a month (maybe 20 days?) Never actually got past that step though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Present the pistol and shoot Von Karma, thereby revealing him as a dracula.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
A1 and A6. Neither the shooter nor the victim has eyeballs. Edgeworth, as you can plainly see, has eyeballs. Ergo, Edgeworth was not in that boat!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DKII posted:

:aaa: :psyduck: How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us?

Not just that, you also have to find and consecrate his casket or he'll escape as a mist and reform the following night.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Von Karma pulling an all nighter speedrunning all the Wizardry 4 endings with Polly to create a new association for "Have you forgotten something?"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The murderer needed to find the bullet, because as a dracula he has a known compulsive need to stop and count anything spilled on the ground, even a single bullet!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

This is one of my favorite lines in the series and perfectly encapsulates the experience.

Mia, you're talking to a guy that put a bird on the stand in a case where a guilty verdict already got declared, this is positively boring in comparison.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Man, Japanifornia v. Edgeworth is gonna make for some fuckin wild citations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wologar posted:

Ema says "science" or "scientific" way too much.

Angel's lunchbox gimmick gets old fast.

The 'investigate object' mechanics are grating after having nothing like that the whole game.

I'm not a fan of this episode.

I think this episode goes fantastic places but it's definitely a slog to get there. It feels like two cases' worth of content crammed into a single marathon episode.

I found Ema's "science!" gimmick amusing but Angel is pretty obnoxious. Maybe it's a cultural thing that resonates better with Californian audiences.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I wonder if tumeric is the reason it is as yellow as it is? And if so, why is it used?

Blah. Now I'm all curious about the traditions of pickling from different countries.

Turmeric is a pretty common pickle ingredient. It's a natural preservative with a well-rounded inoffensive flavor that also makes for very colorful pickles (the color is pH-sensitive, so when pickled in acid it turns neon yellow.) Unsurprisingly it is very common in Indian-style pickles but it's pretty much everywhere that had access to India or turmeric, it's what gives classic bread and butter pickles their color and some manufacturers (notably Vlasic) even put it in their kosher dills.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dotchan posted:

I don't think doctors dismissing complaints as hypochondriac over exaggeration is a gendered issue but if you're going to argue that it is I'm pretty sure it's more socially acceptable to tell the man to suck it up and deal with his "man flu" like a big boy.

It's documented in peer reviewed studies that statistically men are much more likely to receive pain medication for a given diagnosis, and also get the diagnosis faster and more accurately than women on average. It's unclear to what extent dismissing complaints as hypochondria is specifically the cause of the gender bias in medicine but it's hard to get to a point where women showing up with heart attacks are 50% more likely to get sent home without a heart attack diagnosis without some level of doctor-patient distrust involved.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zerbin7 posted:

I never got that impression of Gant. He always seemed kind of personable to me, but very much in charge, and used to his authority being respected. The old man who'll joke with you, but will brook no disrespect at ALL.

It's hard for me to say what the intent was since there's a cultural gap here and all, but I agree with the other poster. I've always thought there was an element of condescending, forced friendliness that feels a little off. Just look at that laughing sprite, it's a very over-the-top laugh but it is not friendly or happy at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

It is also worth remembering that this is also post-reformed Edgeworth. The old one would probably have just sat on that info knowingly to keep his perfect win rate.

Which might be why Gant is now loving with him, since he's no longer someone they can rely on.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

It's just a hamburger with gravy instead of a bun. They're fine.

Yeah, pretty much. It's a bit on the bland side but there's nothing particularly great or terrible about it. Mostly it gets a bad rap from being most people remember it as cafeteria food or frozen dinners.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

achtungnight posted:

I regret Phoenix has never come up against the cowboy prosecutor.

Spirit mediums are an integral part of the setting, there's nothing to say that he won't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bladeworksmaster posted:

:allears: Oh man this final sequence. For all its faults, this is why Rise from the Ashes is so iconic for many.

Yup. Taking down Von Karma with a parrot was great and all but the end of this case is legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

Gant comes upon Neil Marshall's unconscious body, and just decides to murder him, because he figures he can use the situation to blackmail Lana from here on. It feels like there's something missing for him to take such a drastic action

They didn't have any hard evidence to pin Darke to the murders, so Gant's primary motivation was needing to manufacture a murder that they could nail Darke to the wall for. Being able to set up a double frame job to get leverage on Lana was just a happy coincidence.