Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Rythian posted:

I personally think Sahwit is innocent, and Larry totally did it.

Something smells, and experience has shown its usually the Butz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Real US trials are also (constitutionally required) public events. The court itself doesn't sell tickets, but you can pay someone to stand in the first-come-first-served line for you.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I wish I had a traditional American kotatsu. It's cold today

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Funnily enough, Gumshoe, gum does actually come from trees.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In the US, evidence illegally obtained by randos on their own is admissible. Evidence illegally obtained by the police (or other state employee), or by someone acting on their behalf is not.

If I break into your garage to rob it and find your secret stash of murder clock-statues, it's fine for me to testify in court about that (I can still be prosecuted for burglary). If the police cops break in without a warrant and find the stash, it's not admissible. Also anything the police find that is directly traceable to the illegal search is not admissible ("We knew DKII was The Thinker from the clock stash, so we started following him around and later saw him bludgeon somebody". The surveillance is tainted by the search and not admissible either).

Real world Phoenix's bigger problem would be that there's no chain of custody over the wiretap. There's nothing besides his word proving that it has anything to do with April May and he's obviously motivated to convict a witness instead of Maya

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If Miss May knew we were a defense attorney, she'd probably be willing to answer our questions. If only we had some evidence to show for that

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Okay April May is a cromulent name, but Redd White??? Come on that's obviously a fake name, these people are jerkin you around.
Redd White is at least as legal as April May

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Blackmail… wonder if there are other victims. Gumshoe? Edgeworth? The Bellboy?
Gumshoe is far too pure to ever have done anything blackmail-worthy

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DKII posted:

Did Maya pass the bar exam some time in the last month, or does she just not know what "we" means?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DKII posted:

Let's not upset the crazy not-kid with the maybe-real sword.
Don't worry, his arms are too short to get it out of the sheath

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Of course! Cody has realized that if he becomes a lawyer he'll have plenty of money to buy merch from the show. He also might get to help bring people to justice! He got so excited about the prospect that he started studying a law textbook instead of watching the fight.

Phoenix is a defense attorney and is on the brink of bankruptcy. There is a clear contradiction in this testimony!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It's all about doubt. Why would they eat the steaks and then throw the bones in the incinerator?
Because Japanafornia doesn't have lots of landfill space, and T-bone steak bones count as burnable trash?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

And I don't know how much framing WP actually matters, per se, it seems like this set-up was more to create an alibi for the producer who's the studio bigwigs' darling (and also probably has dirt on a few of them through her "mafia" connections).
The whole frame job seems kinda weird/pointless.

Dee already had success disappearing a body from the death fence, and had goons at the ready to dispose of Phoenix and Maya.

"High profile murder at TV studio" also seems worse for her reputation than "TV star vanishes mysteriously"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It goes:
- Phoenix Wright 1 - 2001, GBA, Japan only
- Phoenix Wright 2 - 2002, GBA, Japan only
- Phoenix Wright 3 - 2004, GBA, Japan only
- Phoenix Wright 1 - 2005, DS, Worldwide, includes Rise from Ashes
- Phoenix Wright 2 - 2006, DS, Worldwide
- Phoenix Wright 3 - 2007, DS, Worldwide
... a bunch of other re-releases ...
- Phoenix Wright Trilogy - 2014, 3DS, has 1, 2, and 3 in the same cart with Rise from Ashes with the 1 cases

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Long time gaps also disadvantage the defense even outside blatant prosecution misconduct. Nobody's going to have a good answer for something like "You are accused of robbing a gas station five years ago. Where were you on that night? Can anyone else vouch for that or is there any supporting physical evidence?" even if you're innocent

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Omobono posted:

Short of Chicxulub-tier events, they're as silent as a sneaking Phantom Thief*. They're too high in the atmosphere for sound to reach down to ground level.
:eng101: Chicxulub type ones are also kind of silent. The blast wave is supersonic, so if you're on the same continent, it's a quiet day right up until it smashes and/or vaporizes you

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It's pretty surprising that DKII has never seen a traditional American kotatsu before.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

achtungnight posted:

In America, there was no statute of limitations on murder last I checked. Not sure about Japan. But it's already established that Japanifornia has different laws than both places.

Japan used to have one. They got rid of it in 2010

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DKII posted:

Now this looks like a parking garage. Are they moving the cars around after they're parked like some kind of giant reverse vending machine? Anyway, this tape recorder seems important.
It's a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhVx6S7nPU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It's just a hamburger with gravy instead of a bun. They're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DKII posted:

I'd never heard of it before, but calling a ground beef dish a "steak" seems grossly misleading in general. (I'm sure there are plenty of other examples like it though.)
I think the name mostly predates that drift in the meaning of 'steak'.

It goes:
- Late 1800s: Chop a cut of beef by hand and lightly press it into shape, serve it raw or lightly cooked on a plate (in the style of Hamburg, Germany) => Hamburg steak
- Add gravy and maybe some breadcrumbs/egg to a Hamburg steak and cook it more => Salisbury steak
- Put a Hamburg steak on a bun => Hamburger => Burger