Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

You really think von Karma wouldn't just orate everything he wanted written down while someone else wrote/typed it? Edgeworth probably hasn't seen von Karma's handwriting in years.

Honestly surprising Edgeworth doesn't have an eidetic memory, what kind of prodigy is he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He didn't cheat on retraining the parrot at least.

...or did he?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

achtungnight posted:

Man, if I ever have to go on trial, I am so hiring Phoenix Wright.

Does... Phoenix even get paid?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
At the very least, he's probably making more than poor Gumshoe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

davidspackage posted:

I'd flirt with him.

Edgeworth, or von Karma?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think that 1-5 is one of the worst when it comes to 'here's my one-note gimmick' characters, not because it necessarily has more, but because they're so front-loaded; of the 4 new characters we've seen so far, 3 hit you with that gimmick pretty hard right off the bat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We don't trust our badge, we present it. Clear difference.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

davidspackage posted:

Rough start! I think things'll pick up a bit after this. Yeah, Ema's no Maya, sadly.

I love Marshall's music. Wish they'd come up with another track than "Happy People," I mostly associate it with Lotta, and I associate Lotta with getting stonewalled.

The funny thing is that despite most people associating it with Lotta, it actually debuted with April May.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Meekins is one of those cases where it feels like his art style is wildly jarring from the characters you're used to. Marshall and Angel for instance look a bit more polished, but they still fit in with the recurring cast like Gumshoe. Meekins has exaggerated expressions and proportions, and I know they were trying to sell it as 'goofy' but ehhhh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Blue Badger is probably less of an oddity in the Japanese version when you consider that they have a mascot for just about every company out there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zerbin7 posted:

Take another look at the mascot's head. He's supposed to resemble a policeman's badge. Thus, the Blue "Badge-er".

Oh my gosh

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

comicfan92 posted:

We'll find out later that

Don't do this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It is a bit surreal for a trial to start without Gumshoe being the first witness.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing I don't actually like here is Mia's ghostly intervention again. I know the game is beating the player over the head with the obvious parallels with the Skye sisters and the Fey sisters, but Mia interjecting here just makes Phoenix looks... I don't know, weak? Like he can't get through one trial without a Fey helping him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gant is jarring for a few reasons, but I think one of them (for me, at least) is his colour scheme and shading. It feels very stand-out among the more natural colours of the regular cast, and not really in a good way, it's like looking at a radioactive crayon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wonder how much the trial changes if Edgeworth had actually listened and got the report from Meekins.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It is also worth remembering that this is also post-reformed Edgeworth. The old one would probably have just sat on that info knowingly to keep his perfect win rate.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's funny how Angel would be a 'kinda gimmick there' character in most cases but because she draws out both the trial and investigation so much, she fills you with dread, like every time she pulls out a new lunchbox.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It is notable I think that later games would have more notable sound effects associated with characters and that influenced 1-5, with Meekins' various sounds as well as Marshall's 'gulping' animation.

Characters from the first four cases otherwise are fairly silent though still expressive with their animations, other than of course the Objection/Hold Its and the gavel.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I know it's a mid-blink animation but I like that it looks like Smug Gumshoe is looking down on Phoenix.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It was clearly Gumshoe, duh. And he even gave Edgeworth a confusing flyer to confound him further!

Dastardly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The real answer is that Gumshoe, being the true criminal, adjusted the Blue Badger so that it would not only conveniently block the face of his co-conspirator during the security footage, but also play that maddening tune to exasperate anyone who would try to get to the bottom of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Meekins the very first time he shows up is fine since he's just delivering a report to Edgeworth. After that he shows up with his megaphone and that sounds haunts your dreams even 10 years later.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The weird thing about replaying these games years later is realizing how much older you get when you compare yourself now to the characters' ages.

These days I'm about Gumshoe's age.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I want to know Gumshoe's birthdate!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gumshoe would be the best co-worker.

(Not a subordinate though, I don't want him actually handling things I need to get done.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Quackles posted:

Exactly this. Rise From the Ashes is like a symphony - you need to sit through the quiet bits at first, but oh boy can it get loud.

It's more like the early part is a cacophony of irritating noise (Angel Star, Meekins) before it actually picks up the tempo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We clearly wouldn’t have been able to handle Phase 3 of Redd White.