Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

DKII posted:

Did he just take a loving bow at us? They seriously made him a protagonist later? (No, don't tell me.) What an rear end in a top hat.

The thing you'll find is that everyone in Ace Attorney is at least slightly an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It really is hilarious how White is so convinced that he's untouchable that he goes into court and basically tattles on himself with every other testimony out of his mouth. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah yes, my favorite Ace Attorney protagonists.

The Caretaker is a fun character. For lack of a name to use at the moment, I'll probably just call him Old Man Jenkins.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DKII posted:

We suddenly transition outside. Because interrogating the old man or the bird about the DL-6 Incident any further just wouldn't make sense.

We have to figure out who that old man is.

Oh...

What?

I know Phoenix is green, but man does he have a number of really dumb moments in the first game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You say convoluted, but that's about par for the course for an Ace Attorney trial. Or did you forget that Phoenix won his second case through literal divine intervention? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've played this game several times and I still can't tell if Manfred is supposed to secretly be Dracula or that's just a fashion statement.

Larry to the rescue!

davidspackage posted:

Phoenix nearly defeated by the world's least credible witness. "Can't remember my name and have other vast swaths of amnesia, but here's my statement on this murder!"

Look, just because the witness believes the defense is his son and the place he stays is a noodle restaurant doesn't mean he can't accurately ID the murderer of a crime scene. :shepface:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 3, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Karma is clearly on the verge of going crazy here.

This is on the verge?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DKII posted:

Seems like every other defense attorney out there is doing a pretty poo poo job then.

I mean, to be fair, consider the following: in Ace Attorney land, being a prosecutor is a single job. In contrast, being a defense attorney requires you to be a defense attorney, a detective, possibly have a friend on the police force that's willing to let you inspect crime scenes, and even then you're still oblivious as to a fair amount of information regarding the incident until you're in the middle of the trial. And even THEN, the prosecution pulls out new evidence at the last second for dramatic effect.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Incidentally, DKII, if you're having fun with Ace Attorney (which I imagine you are otherwise you wouldn't be LPing it), I heavily recommend giving Ghost Trick a spin. I think it's set in the Ace Attorney universe, but it's not really connected to anything. So it's just a charming, one game spin-off you can just give a try whenever.

There's a free demo out for a re-release that covers the first two chapters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edgeworth's almost off the hook. It's a DL-6mas miracle. :toot:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that teacher sucks. That's not a class trial so much as an inquisition.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I would say it's less "possible" that some of von Karma's suspects were innocent and more exceedingly obvious, particularly when we're talking about a timespan of forty years, Edgeworth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's worth noting that Grossberg said the DL-6 Incident was unsolved back in Case 2, so I think Yogi was supposed to have gotten off the hook rather than found guilty but labeled insane. I guess the idea is that Hammond was supposed to have used an insanity plea to deflect possible evidence or talk of the murder being premeditated? :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DKII posted:

:aaa: :psyduck: How does this game keep getting me!? It was loving Karma!? And now we have to prove he's the killer while he's loving prosecuting us? I'm just going to go jump out a window right now.

Come now, does this look like the face of a guilty man? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's worth noting that while Manfred doesn't seem to spare much thought for defense attorneys, Gregory's name lives his mind permanently. He is REALLY mad about that penalty.

Also, I assume that even if Japanifornia doesn't arrest Edgeworth for "murdering" his father, him being broken by the realization would be enough for von Karma.

DKII posted:

Maybe this letter will rattle the old man. Unlike him to leave something like this lying around.

Mr. von Karma, have a look at this.

Phoenix, this hasn't worked out for you the last two times. Why would you try it a third?!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 2, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

grandalt posted:

There is a song about this, but I cannot get the link to work.

The police were even too cheap to keep the link working...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The real Ace Attorney starts here.

It's also been about eight years, but there was a real life case where a parrot witnessed a murder and was considered being called as a witness.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DKII posted:

Let the parrot take the stand.

I'm kind of sad you didn't make a full image for this line because it's a great out of context Ace Attorney screenshot.

Also, Manfred being so paranoid that he retrained the parrot not to say anything about DL-6 despite not even expecting it to be called as a witness is some of the most insane preparation I've ever seen from a fictional character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yes, thank you. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

Have we forgotten something?

*squawk* "Don't forget DL-6!" *squawk*

*opens console commands*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DKII posted:

She's only seven years old!!!

If I'm not mistaken, I think this line is given by Manfred, but it cuts to Phoenix's sweaty face as he says it.

Also, Manfred must really hate him some Miles Edgeworth if he's 100% unfazed by outright losing a trial as long as it means throwing him under the bus for something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how this basically just sounds like him saying that he usually runs nothing but crooked trials. And I mean, it's true, but you'd think he'd at least not want to admit it.

Also, lmao at the notion that Edgeworth would be able to give accurate testimony about a traumatic event from over 10 years ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I agree, it gets a little annoying how Phoenix fights so hard, then repeatedly feels defeated and needs Mia to help him. Let the boy work!

To be fair, this is his fourth case (originally intended to be his third!) and he has to solve a 15-year-old murder while Prosecutor von Dracula is screwing him in and out of the courtroom.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how Manfred is just doing his best Wilem Dafoe smile in response to being accused of murder.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think she only shows up the one time if you pick the right options? Most of these appearances seem to be on the goof branches.

Yeah, if you choose the correct options, she shows up half as much, if that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I played Aviary Attorney before ever playing watching someone else play Ace Attorney. Kinda missed out on certain allusions.

Did a parrot take the stand?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You'll be singing a different tune when it turns out the bullet was the mastermind of the case and von Karma was merely an unwitting patsy obeying its orders.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Incidentally, a neat detail about Manfred.

The flashback suggests that Manfred was struck around his shoulder by the stray bullet Edgeworth fired.

It's not immediately apparent in a still image, but whenever Manfred folds his arm like this, the animation gives him a habit of tensing his fingers in his right arm. He also grimaces a lot more whenever he's doing this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't make me agree with the bad guy, game. I don't think you can force someone to get surgery in order to produce evidence. :dogstare:

von Karma is a terrible person, for sure, but I have to wonder if he would've committed murder were the situation not perfectly gift wrapped for him and he was shot moments prior, which only put him in an aggressive state of mind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've said it before, and I still stand by it: Phoenix is well compensated, but there are months between each trial so he ends up working like 12 days a year, in order to keep up his cartoonishly poor anime protagonist lifestyle. We have yet to see any text that contradicts this, nor indications of any smaller trials or other side hustles.

and frankly, I have a lot of respect for that

I think there's an off-hand mention in Game 2 that implies Phoenix might have been taking more cases than the one we see, but that would be the only time I can recall it coming up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, he hid it so well, Maya. :v:

This is the exact point in these games I feel like Larry goes from being tolerable to being... well... The Butz. I suppose that coinciding with Phoenix realizing his fault in the mock trial is fitting, but ah well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Huh. I always referred to Ema as "a Maya", but I didn't realize how literal that was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is a bit of an interesting situation, because the idea that Redd White could potentially have dirt on Lana isn't unreasonable. That said, the character bleeps used for the person White talks to were male, they apparently have a different title in Japanese, and...

The executioner! The hatchet-man! The liquidator... The killer, man!

the language he uses when speaking suggests that it was intended to be a man.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, Lana's line about the badge mirrors something Mia said to Maya before she died.

Tree Reformat posted:

It gets weirder when you remember the DS title was the first English localization of the game, so they would have had access to a broader view of the story than the original developers did writing new stuff up as they went in each game.

I could believe that. There's at least one localization in AA1 that definitely feels like it was written with later games in mind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Defense attorneys investigating crime scenes? They shoot you for that in Texas.

Incidentally, there's no special reason for Angel having two different colored eyes. It's just heterochromia.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 29, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Marshall is great, Angel is just kinda there I guess, and I agree that Ema tries way too hard out the gate to be Maya 2.0 to the point it's a bit grating.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Reminds me of Boktai DS/Lunar Knights having a touchpad Star Fox 64 simulator where you can only move by dragging the ship. And you can also only fire by touching the ship. Meaning you can't do both at once.

Forced touchpad mechanics were the worst.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leraika posted:

yeah, that's fair! After the pickle platter I should have assumed that sometimes a gimmick dish isn't a weird translation.

What is the pickle platter in Japanese anyway? I would assume umeboshi or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gumshoe can barely afford clothes, let alone a moped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, look at that, Edgeworth found a sense of humor. Granted, it's bitterly cynical, but it's a start in the right direction.

And yes, the joke with Gumshoe is that he does indeed play janitor for Edgeworth in part due to his admiration for him (and perhaps partially out of a sense of trying to appeal to Edgeworth to not slash his living wage any lower).

You know, I don't think I ever inspected the KoP award to notice the detail about von Karma having received it multiple times. I thought he just didn't care for accolades, but that gives a different meaning!