Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, so according to the localization, the game takes place in "California", but the game is still full of Japanese references everywhere.

It is a common joke to say the game takes place in the state of Japanifornia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I feel it would be very unfair for me - and most others following this LP, who will have played this game before- to vote on something where we already know the correct answer.

I agree that you should press everything but I think it's much more interesting if you, as the blind player, have to figure out for yourself what to present.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In case you haven't figured it out - there's usually some extra blurb of test if you go past the end of the testimony. It doesn't kick you out of testimony mode or anything.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tree Reformat posted:

The real Ace Attorney starts here. :getin:

Finally.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's strange.

Those voice clip sound effects play in my browser, except for Edgeworth's "Hold it" and "Take that" which ask me to download them to my computer.

I also get a security warning but that's simply resolved by changing the [url]http://[/url] links into https://. It doesn't fix that download issue though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In the scene, Phoenix seems to be looking at the main gate *from the inside*. He did a, uh, turnabout, because the old bag snuck up behind him or whatever.

So from that perspective, the employee area is to his right.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Question, imagine if in a real court case, the prosecutor came up with shoddy, incomplete evidence such as the photo of the guy walking in the suit here, and the defense does not object to this because they're idiots, what would happen?

Like, is a judge allowed to step in and say "this evidence isn't enough to prove guilt" or do they have to stay neutral at all times?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Japanifornia is probably more walkable than California.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have a suspicion that early on in development, it turned out the game would glitch out in some weird way if Phoenix' inventory was completely empty, so they just hardcoded it to always have the badge to prevent that glitch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rythian posted:

I don't really pop in to vote, since I've played the games already so I know the right answer, and I either vote the correct answer, or something I know is incorrect.

Yes, for the exact same reason I won't vote either. There's prob people voting who know the game in and out and I wonder how they decide to vote (if they vote anything that's not the badge).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DKII posted:

Only the "2" on the signpost will do, here. The signpost here shows the bottom half of a "2", and the gate itself has a backwards "2" on it, but for some reason clicking on the gate just produces a generic failure.

You mean the "S" for STUDIO on the gate? If you look under the arm of the Samurai you can even see part of the T.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AncientSpark posted:

That was a fast turnaround, but understandable since it's goddamn Edgeworth.

It's always about the unexpected turnabouts isn't it?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why the h*ck would they translate the article into English, and then blur it into illegibility?

Could be they put some blurred lorem ipsum or some random real newspaper clipping in there. Wouldn't be the first time a piece of media does that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

In any case, while there's not usually as much flash or excitement in real courtrooms as in fictional ones, the process is still pretty interesting. It just tends to be far more interesting in retrospective summaries than actually sitting through it.

I think LegalEagle on Youtube did a series analyzing fictional depictions of court rooms and pointing out inaccuracies.

There might be Phoenix Wright spoilers in that series so maybe don't go look it up if you want to stay unspoiled. LegalEagle is a cool Youtuber though.

He's an American and I have no idea how similar/different court cases in other legislations are. I know over here there's no sense of a jury, all final decisions are made by a judge (for small cases) or a group of judges (for larger cases).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, the main christmas tradition in Japan is getting a bucket of KFC.

Whether "spending time with your loved ones" is part of it I don't know.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is Yogi's name a pun on anything?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or are those "Objection" sound bites really slow to load from that court-records.net site DKII is linking to?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wouldn't that make it a parallel killing?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DKII posted:

Wait, when did Marshall get back on the witness stand? Wasn't Ema there earlier? Did he just wander back up there after she stormed in?
Check your pictures again. Ema has been standing next to Phoenix at the defense stand for this entire court day. Marshall never left the witness stand.

quote:

Was Lana living in the same legal system as Manfred von Karma and his crooked 40-year "perfect" record?
This does not need to be a contradiction. Once again assuming Japanifornian law is a parody of Japanese law, it even makes a lot of sense.

In Japanese law, cases never make it into court unless the police can give the prosecution enough evidence that it'll be a clear "win" for them. That's why in over 99% of cases, the suspect is found guilty. If the police has any doubt about the suspect's guilt it never makes it into court.

So, in Japan, when working in the police, you'd prob have to let cases go if you can't get the evidence together, which can be frustrating if you're quite certain who did it.
But working as a prosecutor, you're going to win basically every case.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DKII posted:

Ema's clearly on the witness stand here, two updates ago. Then Marshall re-takes the stand last update. In fact Lana and Marshall switch off frequently during that last update, too. You can even see them standing at the same witness stand during the gallery shots, trading off. I'm all for making corrections but telling me to "check my pictures again" is just rude.

What I was referring to is, if you scroll back a little bit from the point I was quoting, in the same update, the last time you posted screenshots of either of them, Marshall was on the witness stand and Ema was assisting Phoenix.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Or Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Happy almost christmas day everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well done, and thanks for taking us along on this ride.

Interested to see your impressions of the second game... after a well deserved break.