Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, it's important to note that everytime someone says America or Burgers its a very transparent paste over by localizers, and it only holds up to scrutiny in this game. The story is very much set in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah the game's designed for you to press all the statements one by one before going ahead to present evidence.

Eh, the story flows a lot smoother when you don't. It kind of let's you decide if you want a tighter drama where Phoenix feels a little more competent, or if you don't mind breaking the flow to watch Phoenix talk to the judge about Ms Cinder Block.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nidoking posted:

That, and the pacing is going to be pretty sad for you if you stop to do polls for every testimony. Audience speculation about where the contradictions are can be fun, but stopping at every choice to take votes is going to establish a slower pace than you might be comfortable with.

Yeah, later games get pretty chonky with dialogue in between player actions, but in these shorter earlier ones it's short enough that stopping for a vote every time would kill the pacing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

the update posted:

It's hard to see but Larry's left arm is swinging back and forth in this sprite and appears to be missing a hand. What the hell? Actually, let me go into my second file with the transparency maxed out and snap it:

Since Larry is, well Larry, his coat doesnt fit him and has sleeves that are way too long. That bend right at the end is his hand inside the sleeve.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, that poster sure blue it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

wologar posted:

It's weird that Phoenix never loses his composure. He and Mia seemed to be very close but Phoenix is very blasé about finding her freshly murdered.

Him keeping his composure is him losing his composure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Jailer's Elegy is such a good song

really, the entire soundtrack is great, but that one really sets the tone

also now that we've gotten to this scene, I can post this comic to lighten the mood

now, i know next to nothing about actual real life law, but i feel like that should only apply to the prosecution, because that would mean they'd be extra biased against the defendant.

Nah, it makes sense for the defense as well. For a good chunk of the planet, having to look at the all the evidence including photos of your murdered boss (that just very professionally asked you out for drinks) would provoke an emotional reaction that could compromise your decision making skills and prevent you from mounting the best defense possible. Especially if the defendant is said close relations sister and a memory trigger for the deceased.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, Grossberg is a big, fat man. A gross iceberg if you would.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I appreciate everyone voting for the badge.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Please. Like a real life lawyer would accidentally send a cell phone full of incriminating evidence to the other side and then sit there silently letting their client commit perjury repeatedly knowing full well the other side had hard evidence against their lies?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

One of these times we'll get the badge to win the vote

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, it's also a game where the op is very openly saving and reading to try other joke options. It's not like going "well it finally won, here you go" actually hurts them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You people can't hang a lampshade on this case!

You know, because he broke the lamp.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, magistrates aren't just a Japanese position. It's a low level judge responsible for minor level legal offenses and setting up bigger cases.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eeeeeevil judge jeanine.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

wow way to spoil that stepladders exist, thread ruined :mad:

That is clearly a ladder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

People must trip a lot in neo old tokyo

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I will help with another post with some advice on that.

It's not something easily done in an lp, but the games own advice from case 1 is always helpful.

Unfortunately here, you'll have to skim for the update they got logged/updated instead of just whacking tab

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Staltran posted:

They changed the perpage=40 in the URI to perpage=1 to have only one post per page.

e: The easier way is to put the LPer on ignore, though. Very counterintuitive but convenient.

That... is a strangely effective idea.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Samovar posted:

You know what - that's exactly the case. It's one thing when it's '...' and he's looking aloof, it's another when it's '...' and it looks like he's dying of stress.

I would say it's more of an "I'm going to kill this man/woman/windbag" sort of look.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Try looking in the game code or searching online for a text dump

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

whitehelm posted:

All the images showing the woods show waist-high hedges/bushes everywhere. Maybe Cody is small enough to climb through or over, but I'm assuming it wouldn't be possible for an adult to do it without noticeable damage to the foliage. It would be nice if that was actually mentioned in the game though.

One thing I've never figured out is how Cody got his picture taken before the Steel Samurai (the deleted Photo #1) if he came in from the woods and was wandering around back there the whole time.

My understanding of the events is
1) Cody enters through the drain pipe in the employee area
2) Cody passes through the gate and gets photographed
3) Cody ditches into the woods to avoid the old hag (she's coming back to her post from the run through maybe? She could also be putsuing from behind if she was at her post and saw the photo get snapped)
4) Cody wanders around lost until he stumbles upon the steel samurai "battle"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My favorite thing about sal's hat is that because he wears it backwards it gives him an idiotic horn instead of a top knot.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Show the judge our badge

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The joke about the badge is that everyone did what DKII has been doing and showing the darn thing to everyone because surely it exists for some reason, when no, it's really just there for flavor and does nothing at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I've always found it weird the album doesn't work for the first prompt: it and the camera both follow the logic of "he was trying to take a picture for the album." It's weird that they split the two pieces of evidence up for a single conclusion.

And yeah, the way they quietly build up your assumption on who the killer is all case only to then yank the rug out here is pretty great.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Quackles posted:

Hot take: The director is the killer. Hammer ate a steak with him and caught Sal Manella.

(:v:)

Oof. If I caught that I'd pick death too

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

argosaxelcaos posted:

Incredible twists! Challenged assumptions! Bits of dialogue that are incredibly important in hindsight!

and now...answer this question that a 2 year old could solve! :effort:

Honestly, game, don't do that to me after pulling such a good twist on us!

I mean, the big twist was also delivered with a brain dead player choice. The issue here is that the crime scene being different than assumed should also be a big dramatic reveal, but it comes so close behind hammer was the samurai that you get completely underwhelmed by it and get left with an insulting easy input.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

argosaxelcaos posted:

It's true that in any real court, this would be your win and that's that, it's not your job to Perry Mason your way into finding the culprit. But in a game it's pretty unsatisfying! I remember in KOTOR 2 you have to investigate a case to prove an ally innocent and it ends just like that. Your dude is innocent. Fin. You never learn who did it and it's kind of a letdown, so I'm okay with the game doing this for the sake of drama

That's actually a fun one, because you can dig deeper and find out he did it. It creates a moral quandary between what is right in the immediate moment versus possibly sabotaging the war effort.

E: you are absolutely right ::doh:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

God, I love that sprite for the mafia goons. You can tell they're the sort of goofballs that belong in this universe just from looking at them. My favorite is popped collar guy with the hat trying to do a dramatic head tilt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Didn't Feenie already resolve that lie?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The tip is actually made of foam and absolutely nobody bothered to ask about.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

Come on dude, it's a blind LP and you just post this poo poo? Surely it can't be THAT hard to just...keep it in your pants, yeah?

But if it's that hard is when you whip it out!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

achtungnight posted:

They may have had a drop cloth or tarp in the van that the body was on the whole time. Then that was also incinerated. Sal probably knows a lot about cleaning up excess unwanted bodily fluids.

You know, I don't think he actually bothers with that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

argosaxelcaos posted:

Feels like she panicked HARD. All of this points to either self-defence, or flat out an accident while defending herself, none of which carry any prison time. But if you look at her face in the picture it shows that she's nowhere as cool as she presents herself

You forget: this is Japanifornia where someone's gotta hang

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

This scene is just so great when you're playing because having the writers jerk you around with the music the whole time just makes the gag land so much harder than the music links. I love how there is a clearly canonical line there that has Edgeworth and Phoenix mirror each other. It's kind of a shame you can miss that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Indeed!
Verily, I say...
Ergo!

Is one of the best lines in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

AncientSpark posted:

Also doesn't help they did not come up with the idea of making this a trilogy until after the first game was developed, so the first game is designed to be a very tight storyline.

Apparently the story goes that Shinji Mikami (who was the writer/director Shu Takumi's boss at the time) gave the team that idea for a trilogy while Shu Takumi was on vacation under assumption that Ace Attorney was done.

It's also just a fairly short game. We're a little over 2/3 through the original game. To put things in context, the bonus case they added in the DS re-release is roughly the length of the entire original game. It's probably why the first one is my favorite, I appreciate brevity in a story, even if it creates a few cracks in this one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

serefin99 posted:

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge. You can argue its place in the continuity all you want, but if someone is actually playing the games, they will see it in Phoenix Wright 1. It's from Phoenix Wright 1.

It's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds remake card and all subsequent releases. It is, in fact, not on the Phoenix Wright 1 cart.

They did put it in the Phoenix Wright 1 section of the collection though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 DS cart, I don't have anything beyond the first one.

Nah, it's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds card. Phoenix Wright 1 was a gba game that didn't leave Japan. Rise from ashes was made as a bonus for the collection which is noticeable in that it has a bunch of ds features that get brought into play for it and it alone in the original trilogy. Well that, and it's relatively disconnected from the original trilogy and serves more as a prequel for the ds game than a part of the trio. That's the whole reason people are able to argue for and against it going where Capcom put it.