Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Staltran posted:

Also, blackmailing someone in open court? And Edgeworth doesn't say a word?

Eh, while the beat doesn't really hold up, Mia is not blackmailing someone. She's blackmailing everyone. It's simpler for the system to just pretend this whole trial didn't happen.

I doubt White is getting the death penalty, I think he'll manage some backroom deal for 20/30 to life in a minimum security prison. He knows he'll get :commissar: in a back alley somewhere if that list of names comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ah, the Steel Samurai, warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo :allears:
By the way, can someone explain the evil magistrate thing? Is it the Japanese equivalent to a corrupt baron/count/generic noble or the Sheriff of Nottingham?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

OddObserver posted:

The evil magistrate is consider that because he cut funding for sidewalk maintenance.

SimCity_2_advisor.png

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Question, imagine if in a real court case, the prosecutor came up with shoddy, incomplete evidence such as the photo of the guy walking in the suit here, and the defense does not object to this because they're idiots, what would happen?

Like, is a judge allowed to step in and say "this evidence isn't enough to prove guilt" or do they have to stay neutral at all times?

In an adversarial system (common law at large IIRC, USA for sure) the judge has to shut up on this, and the jury's single shared braincell won't catch it during jury deliberations.
In Japan (and Japanifornia), and other systems without a jury such as civil law countries, the judge adjudicates guilt and such he'd in theory be authorized to ask about flimsy evidence and simply cut poo poo short with a not guilty.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's genuinely the stuff of (Edgeworth's) nightmares.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

When Nick has to address motive it is 50/50 between:
_"I don't care if the defendant was clearly shown to be in Japan the day of the murder, they were grade school enemies with the victim and so they're clearly guilty anyways"
and
_"just because the witness has accidentally confessed to be on the scene of the murder the instant of the crime wielding the murder weapon, they have no motive so everything was clearly a clever ploy by the defendant"

EDIT: reworded a bit

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Witness the power of the Oldbag :allears:

I think one of my favourite parts of AA is how Nick is such a gigantic snarky motherfucker in his internal narration.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, he should become a moral, upstanding member of society like our protagonist, who would never do such a thing. :objection:

He seems perfect for the prosecutor's office. Just give him a badge and nobody would notice anything.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

mr_stibbons posted:

Yeah, the first game doesn't really have a good sense for how to do investigation section, and resorts to warmed over adventure game tropes.

Bold of you to claim they bothered warming the standard adventure game tropes this game.

But yeah, the sequels get way better about the investigation sections. Hold in there DKII

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The series is consistent on Maia's channeling powers being scientifically verifiable.
It's part of why White completely broke down last case, it wasn't just Maia pretending* to be Mia, it genuinely was Mia in Maia's clothes.

Edit: *pretending isn't quite the right word here, the point is that when channeling Maia physically becomes the channeled spirit

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

serefin99 posted:

Please don't shorten it to "crossex" when talking about him
(Spoiler added for NMS)

No, shortening it to that is needed to point why you really don't want to keep cross examining Salmonella.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DKII posted:

Counter-objections! Neither of these make any legal sense.

They don't? Have these games lied to me all these years? :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Steel Samurai lost is one of the best AA twists and sets the bar for all games going forward.

It's genius in its simplicity and yet I doubt many players managed to suss it out before Nick's freakout.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Funnily enough I got it at the exact same time as Nick's freakout, which made it super awesome because I was going "OH poo poo!" at the same time as the player character. That's always a magical moment.

Part of it is because they keep throwing sensible explanations like ink from an octopus at every step of the chain.

No photo in the album? Well, the murder was hardly an official show, it's not like Cody was a witness.
Oh, he was. But he had a new camera, so he must not have managed to snap a picture.
Wait, what do you mean you took one but deleted it? :psyboom:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

(context: in Italian the equivalent to grasping straws is trying to climb glass*)
(*EDIT: more accurately trying to climb on a mirror)

The way I described AA to a friend was nevermind glass, glass is a loving luxury, Nick has to climb air at times.
Then he gets a grip on that invisible bridge from Last Crusade and he starts sprinting at a dead run without missing a single twist in it because he doesn't have the time to check the path.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 4, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A limitation of the format. We've demonstrated that Powers has an unassailable* alibi, so why the gently caress is the trial going on? Later games get better at this.
Although with the Japanifornian system I'd not trust the prosecutor an iota so better to keep this going for a while.

*I'm assuming that in a real world USA trial the prosecutor would not be allowed** to turn on a dime and renege on one of his main inferences namely studio 1 and 2 were completely cut off
**Ought ≠ is, legal protections may not apply if defendant isn't white, rich or Christian

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 7, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Carbon dioxide posted:

You mean the "S" for STUDIO on the gate? If you look under the arm of the Samurai you can even see part of the T.

How many GBA/DS players got their mind blown when they realized the sky in the employee area wasn't a ceiling painted blue?
I know I was one. This particular mistake is possible only on low resolution screens.

what the gently caress that was an S and not a reverse 2? :psyduck:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Good nuance here. Even Oldbag (and she's Oldbag) gets to help.

Meanwhile Gumshoe establishes himself as the mythological Good Cop and the biggest cuddliest teddy bear 'round these parts.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I was going to comment "just Columbo then" but Columbo is genuinely smart.

Having said that, Gumshoe is smart enough to pretend to be dumber than he is.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keep in mind the reason we have the single judge and he has like three animations total is because there literally wasn't any more space left on the original GBA cart.

TWO distinct "generic policemen" sprites? Are we made of memory here?

So there's plenty of policeman around, just out of screen, laughing too.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Prowler posted:

Perhaps? In Persona 5, there's a guy who the story refers to as part of the mafia, not Yakuza, and it seems like that's something that series wouldn't get wrong in translation.

That guy absolutely was a mafioso, not a Yakuza member. Those goons last update were far more Yakuza than mafia, they don't really have the feeling of a mafia "picciotto" (Sicilian for goon).

There's not much difference, organized crime is organized crime, but there is one.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As all games are meant to be standalone, the first case is the tutorial. Having the culprit be clearly shown is part of that, although there are exceptions. For example I don't think Great AA Chronicles, the one with Nick's grandpa* in Victorian London, shows the murderer in its tutorial case.

*or possibly great grandpa?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

quote:

:allears:

There isn't an :allears: big enough in the universe

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Truthkeeper posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, everything in the localization fits perfectly. Now come, and let's all enjoy a traditional American meal around the traditional American kotatsu.

gently caress I so want to link this comic. (it has characters not introduced yet)

and that one (it has mechanics from the next games).

and that third one (it has both).

Charlie_Brown_Augh.png

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think the game kinda cheats with the almost back to back do you have evidence for Vasquez's motive" questions when the answer are "yes I do" immediately followed by "no I don't, Hammers was the one out for blood".

Incidentally I think Oldbag realized more or less what transpired during the investigation section. I'm not going to check the exact words, but she said something like 'poor Hammers, you did wrong, may your soul find peace' when Nick got evidence to her it was Hammers in the suit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

By the way, Edgeworth saying he's a fan?

An official extra comic speaks for itself:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It does partially explain Edgeworth's attitude this trial.
His inner 10 year old was raising hell because no, we're not chucking the Steel Samurai in death row when he's clearly innocent.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Spoilers, Payne has done a training routine of 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats and a 10km run every day since the prologue and now will punch all our arguments into oblivion.
Rip what was left of his hair but that's a sacrifice he was willing to make for revenge.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Incidentally, I think Edgeworth refusing to be represented is the real failure state of failing to nail Vasquez last case. They just couldn't show it in case 3 without spoiling case 4.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Leraika posted:

just bring in winston payne and remind edgeworth that this is the general caliber of lawyer the japanifornia courts have

Payne is a prosecutor. And I assume him representing the general caliber of prosecutor Japanifornia has is a constant source of pain for Edgeworth.

Also a person who represents himself in court has a fool for a client but if the prosecutor was Payne then with God as their witness even that fool could win, no need to call for Nick.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

YggiDee posted:

If Winston is the typical Japanifornia prosecuter, and the conviction rate is that high, what does the typical defense attorney look like? Do they just drop an attorney badge in a bowl of tapioca and call it a day?

Have you seen those trials? A bowl of tapioca could successfully prosecute a lot of them, the deck is that stacked.

Nick is honestly lucking in getting Judge Judge assigned every time since the old geezer is not senile yet, he's always awake during trial, and he's willing to give the defense a lot of latitude no matter how gonzo the theory gets on its face.

Edit: while obviously the Judge is now a series in-joke my personal explanation is that after the first couple trials he's decided to pull strings and seniority to get assigned every time Nick is defending someone because Nick's shows beat all entertainment out there

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 17, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

[Zalgo]It's here. Ia ia ftaghn[/zalgo]

Anyways, Grossberg was useless and grossly incompetent once, I think we should give him an opportunity to be so again.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Larry is the best, why so much negativity around him? :)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Oh yeah here's the worst part of this first game, wondering da gently caress you need to do next during investigation sections (was it to Lotta again right now?). Especially this case investigation sections are both incredibly railroaded and extremely open, with a lot of locations you can move to and little indication where to go next. Meanwhile moving around is a loving pain with the way rooms link up.

Later games get way better luckily.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gumshoe: "Pal why did you find a witness?"
Nick: "What, did you want me to hide evidence"
Gumshoe "I'm not not saying it"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

AncientSpark posted:

(for example, the aforementioned "wait until an alibi witness is dead" is now unconstitutional in the US)

How do you even prove the prosecutor pulled this poo poo?
I assume in the case that lead to this ruling the prosecutor actually put in writing he was pulling that poo poo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The game sells Von Karma hard and very well. I think he's the best prosecutor in the series (sorry Edgeworth).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hm, I wonder if there's any symbolism in our boy Edgeworth being savaged by a ruthless prosecutor named von Karma

...nah, couldn't be

Names aren't subtle 'round these parts.

I'm still not convinced the judge isn't actually named Judge. Anyone got any ideas for his name?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

First von Karma cross, and it's a doozy.

I wonder if there's a pattern across most of the trial: first cross after recess and/or new day is a sheer cliff face with no safety rope, because old Manfred got the time to really prep the witness and shave away any imperfections. Progress past that and it goes easier for a while because you can't prep for everything and Nick is a loose cannon with less than nothing to lose.
(of course gameplay mean the difficulty ramps up again)

I seem to recall it is but it's been a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Guys, guys, Dracula is in the past of the timeline/the future of the series in The Great Ace Attorney 1 and 2 (the ones in Victorian London starring Nick's grandpa).

Von Karma is clearly a student though, so checking for vampiric regeneration might be a good idea.