Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ooooh, always fun to see a blind playthrough of one of these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I'll admit I don't really know, like, anything about law and stuff. But isn't the Fifth Amendment, etc. a "you MAY" type of thing? As in, it's entirely optional whether you want to use it or not? And, well, you've already seen how Larry is, I don't think it's too farfetched to think he would turn down the opportunity to keep his mouth shut...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

On a lighter note, fun fact: the whole 'magnifying glass and check marks' thing was not in the original version of these, nor in their sequel Apollo Justice. I definitely remember getting hung up on some spots where I hadn't examined the single area the game actually WANTED me to look at. However, it is in Dual Destinies, and I assume it's in Spirit of Justice as well since that game came out after DD.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

...It is only now, looking at the higher quality sprites, that I realize the bellboy does not, in fact, have a mustache.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

:getin:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

As someone in their 20s who stills gets excited about Power Rangers, I can 100% see where Maya is coming from.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

...I always knew her name was "Penny Nickels", but it only just now occurred to me that she's the only assistant hired by a studio that's low on money...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Tell her that a bunch of internet strangers wish her a happy birthday!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

mr_stibbons posted:

As frustrating as it is to not break Sal's alibi, do you really want to have another round of crossex with some like that?

Please don't shorten it to "crossex" when talking about him

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

These are the moments why I love Ace Attorney. When the game presents a seemingly-innocuous multiple choice question, except one of the answers completely flips the entire case on its head, and that's how you know it's gotta be the right one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I think the issue is more that Hammer being the Steel Samurai forces you to fundamentally rethink EVERYTHING about the case. At that point, learning the crime scene was also different is more of a "Yeah it might as well be, huh?" than a "Oh my god this changes EVERYTHING".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

ChaosStar0 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is when the fandom fell in love with Gumshoe. I could be wrong of course, but yeah, definitely one of Gumshoe's best moments.

I know it's the moment I fell for him.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

It's absolutely a localization thing. There's a reason we say these games take place in "Japanifornia".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I don't think length is really a concern when doing an LP? DKII has been enjoying the game so far and I don't think there's anything in that case that would make them start not enjoying it, and hell, I didn't even notice the length myself back when I played it. For it's place in the greater overall canon, I guess it might fit better after the other games? But I don't think it would really cause problems if you played it now.

Overall though, my biggest concern is how confusing not doing it right now might be. Like, maybe this is just me, but it just seems odd to potentially have a Phoenix Wright 1 LP that doesn't actually cover everything in Phoenix Wright 1, and then to have a Phoenix Wright 2/3 LP that suddenly includes something from Phoenix Wright 1.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

ChaosStar0 posted:

Except it's not from Phoenix Wright 1, it was made after 3 as a prequel to 4 and slapped on at the end of the DS Port so the game would have 5 cases. Nothing in it will be relevant to the rest of the trilogy.

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge. You can argue its place in the continuity all you want, but if someone is actually playing the games, they will see it in Phoenix Wright 1. It's from Phoenix Wright 1.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, it's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds card. Phoenix Wright 1 was a gba game that didn't leave Japan. Rise from ashes was made as a bonus for the collection which is noticeable in that it has a bunch of ds features that get brought into play for it and it alone in the original trilogy. Well that, and it's relatively disconnected from the original trilogy and serves more as a prequel for the ds game than a part of the trio. That's the whole reason people are able to argue for and against it going where Capcom put it.

Uh, my dude? I genuinely think you're confused here. Yes, there is a DS cart for Phoenix Wright 1 and just Phoenix Wright 1. Here's an Amazon listing for it: https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-3

And just for reference's sake, here's listings for the other two games as well:
https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-1
https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-2

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Yes, and?

There is a Phoenix Wright 1 DS cart. One that contains Rise from the Ashes. FoolyCharged sounds like they're saying there isn't one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, they don't; you're misreading the post. They're saying that RftA is on the DS cart, but the DS cart was not the original release of Phoenix Wright 1.

Are they?

Apostate said it's on the DS cart, but then Fooly "No, it's on the trilogy DS card". Given they go on to talk about the GBA version, it sounds like they're saying there wasn't a DS version for PW1.

Like full disclosure here- I don't even give a gently caress about the argument anymore, at this point DKII will do whatever they decide to do- I just genuinely don't understand this at this point.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Omobono posted:

Larry is the best, why so much negativity around him? :)

Well, you know what they say: if something smells, it's usually the Butz.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean, the main christmas tradition in Japan is getting a bucket of KFC.

Whether "spending time with your loved ones" is part of it I don't know.

From what I've heard, Christmas in Japan is more of a couples holiday than a family one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

bladeworksmaster posted:

These moments where the case entirely clicks into place for Phoenix is what I live for in Ace Attorney, and I remember playing the DS original the year it came out stateside and being completely engrossed when I also figured it out.

This is what makes Ace Attorney so good, I feel. Usually, the moment the characters figure out the big twist is also when the player themselves figure it out as well.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah I feel like confessing to a murder after the statute of limitations is up doesn't mean the cops shrug and go "ah well, you win this one," but the timing is pretty clearly deliberate, given the context of the letter and the three-day trial law; they knew this current trial would end December 28th at the latest.

In real life it wouldn't, but we've seen how competent the police are in Ace Attorney world...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

This is why I love this series.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Also don't forget the flashback image we've seen a few times. Gregory was already slumped over when Yogi started his freak out.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I just now noticed that Angel has a little octopus charm hanging from her choker.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Yeah I'll Nth that it's interesting to note when a line gets completely rewritten or something, less so when it's just like adding or subtracting a word.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Salisbury steak may not be the best meat but it's pretty far from the worst. Wouldn't pick it over a real steak, but still pretty good.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I might just be easily entertained, because I was sold on him from the word Texas. :v:

I'm from Texas and I likewise loved him from moment one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I wish I could go back in time and watch myself play through this case for the first time, because genuinely I do not remember having such a difficult time lining the jar up. The only other possibility I could think of is that I just had way more patience for that kind of bullshit in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

19 months well spent. You really went above and beyond with this LP.

I'll go ahead and second the suggestion of dropping a link in here when you start the thread for the next game. For now, though, you should enjoy your break.