Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Frosted Flake posted:

I have more or less the opposite view because stuff like map painting, Kaiserreich epic alt history and Ulm world conquest memes have meant the games don’t have historical mechanics because they don’t aspire to historical outcomes anymore. It saps a lot of depth to make anything possible, there can’t be a representation of material conditions if the baseline idea is that material determinism is boring.

sad but true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

V. Illych L. posted:

i tried to follow up my defense of moscow and now all my divisions are chewed up and keep dissolving on impact

this campaign is genuinely hard

Key for moscow 41 is to try and neutralize german ZoC as much as possible with ur poor bloody rifle regiments, then deep deep exploitation with cav and tank units kept as close to the front as possible. You'll also just need to accept that many units will be in critical supply status a lot of time. Soviet sappers dont need arty to Planned Attack, so use them diligently followed by the Artillery Preparation card to get those initial cracks in the german front. But in general your focus is on exploitation and making the german positions untenable more than fighting them directly.

And yeah you'll probably take atrocious casualties

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

V. Illych L. posted:

e. the most irritating thing is that the germans get supply sourced from some of their stronghold cities and when i can't just surround and bypass i have to storm it with, basically, human wave assaults. on-map supply makes me a grumpy boy, it's cheating!!!!

Yeah those are annoying. They represent spots that got resupplied by air but taking them can come down to rng which is frustrating on a turn deadline

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Minenfeld! posted:

I like this Regiments game.

Its v good n fun

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Minenfeld! posted:

I want that southern storm game on Steam.

they gotta gouge old boomers on their website for a few months first

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HerraS posted:

Picked up a copy of Undaunted: Stalingrad and gently caress me this box is big :popeye:

would love a trip report if u get the opportunity

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

Got through north Africa in Unity of Command 2, the persistent campaign and alternate attack modes are a little hard to wrap my head around coming from the Soviet campaigns in UoC 1 where bloody attacks with artillery infantry solved all your problems. The end of the Sicily scenario in particular means I'll have to sort out how to deal with enemies in rough terrain. I do like how the persistent HQ stuff makes the game a little less "solvable"

theres way too much rng 'friction' in UoC2 to call it a puzzle game outside maybe the first turn of smaller scenarios, but grogs gonna grog.
but yeah in the Allies main campaign sticking ungodly amounts of arty on your vet infantry and Prepared Attack/Bombardment is ur friend

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Frosted Flake posted:

lol wtf?

Combat Mission made sure to include Indians (Sikh or Muslim units), Free French, South Africans, Poles, Brazilians, New Zealanders, Canadians. The SD2 DLC has all of that plus Co-Belligerents and Greeks. In COH it's an easy way to get unit diversity, some fun voice lines etc.

That's too bad.

they have Indian units, lack of poles and canucks is a bit fail but never say never

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regarde Aduck posted:

fair enough, might get it when its on sale

i'm a combat mission kind of guy at heart so i don't really know why i was whining about shoestring budgets

reject the fail combat mission, embrace the dialectical graviteam

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Need a computer port for imperial struggle

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Victoria 3 is good you dorks. Anyone advocating vicky 2 over it should be committed

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

'Wahhh they put too much of the good stuff into the free patch and not the dlc abloo bloo'

Eat my fart, ive solidified it in the freezer on a popsicle stick and im handing it to you, eat it you worthless gd gamer pigs

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Id say shogun 2 was peak until 3k, which has a fantastic top layer

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think relic just stopped supporting cause they are spread real thin (they also did the new age of empires). I guess they just had a bunch of layoffs. Shame cause i thought this one was decent

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I thought charlemagne was more fun than base attila

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the neoliberal mindset has made it so they can just move to the US once they've sold out everything. Under neoliberalism the aspirational ideal is 'number' which is to be made to 'go up'. So who cares about the EU? The US is the current HQ of number. So they'll be Good little EU bureaucrats until everything is hollowed out then move. I assume they hope to be awarded for their deeds once in the heart of empire.

Essentially the EU died the moment neoliberalism became a thing and profit motive replaced god

This is wrong. The EU is the political-fiscal realization of neoliberalism within Europe. European elites (and general publics for that matter) generally loathe the United States in its caricature as a nation of parvenu fat ugly cowboy morons but recognize that NATO and the Washington Consensus were (and are) indispensable for rebuilding and retaining the Continent's real stores of capital contra the rest of the planet after ye Olde Imperialism's internal contradictions and national antagonisms blew it the gently caress up. If the United States' ever turns decisively towards some Trumpian neo-protectionist-mercantilist chicanery you'll see EU nations turn and run from America, not 'move to the heart of the empire.'

Fuligin has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Jul 31, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Frosted Flake posted:

I love Imperial Struggle, it's a lot of fun.

i will play it, someday :(

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Typo posted:

does unity of command actually have good a.i

it kinda look like panzer generals 3 and the a.i was so bad in that one you literally just walk ur army frm one end of the map to the other and you win

it's very very good at punishing you if u leave an opening for it

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

been playing unity of command 2 and man i am not good at keeping my units alive, got up past dday in the base campaign but my army is so beat up im not sure i can make it. then i tried the moscow '41 campaign and did you know the soviets were not really in good shape around that time?
Moscow 41 is v fun but hard as balls. Then you jump into Don 42 and get to start reaming the 6th Army with your shiny new tank corps and its glorious

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Unity of Command II's Stalingrad campaign is also great, really drives home how loving huge the distances involved were and the difficulty of coordinating your movements across them

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

are there any good rome total war 1 mods that don't massively over complicate the game

Chiv: total war, Viking Invasion Remastered II, the Middle Earth one i cant remember the name of.

those are conversions for the remaster tho.

Oh there's Rome Retrofit, I remember that being good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

skooma512 posted:

I didn’t care for it. I found it difficult to control everything and determine what I was supposed to do

I enjoy Armored Brigade, and the UI is fairly good for that style of game imo, but the user created campaigns on workshop are really sparse which is a shame

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Endman posted:

That reminds me of the Peiper's Charge scenario that's been in the Battle of the Bulge books for Flames of War for the past couple of editions. Literally just drive the SS Panzer Kampfgrupper in a straight line down a road for as long as you can to see if you can get further than they did in reality.

There's a great graviteam scenario based on one of peiper's last engagements in the east, you get to ambush a bunch of SS in the middle of a snowstorm at night and it rules

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Endman posted:

Unfortunately the guys who write the rules for Flames of War are pretty enamoured of their "Panzer Aces" so you never get anything cool/hilarious like that.

Sometimes I really feel compelled to write my own tabletop miniatures rules for WW2 that include all of the parts of Nazi tanks that make them awful, like having to roll on a table of mechanical faults for the Panther to see if the final drive falls apart or the transmission craps out when you attempt to move the thing.

this is also why graviteam reigns supreme. Nothing like half your tank platoon immobilizing in the first ten mins of battle cause of the secret soviet weapon, ordinary road conditions

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

yes... hahahaha! Yes!!!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Typo posted:

I thought the Soviet DLC where you got to pick whether Trotsky/Stalin/Rykov got to lead the USSR was interesting at least

but yeah HOI IV can't quite decide whether it wants to be a game about "serious" history i.e Unity of Command or wacky space-aliens version of history like CK2

I think Hearts of Iron would work a lot better if it started in like... 1930 or 33 or something, maybe even earlier in the immediate post-WW1 era, with a faster tick rate and longer tech tree. A lot of the alt-history stuff would feel less ludicrous with more time to breathe. Simplify focus trees so that diplomacy is an actual system players can use to sway and interact with other powers, a la other paradox games, instead of a track determined by their tree. And for god's sake add some mechanics for managing alliances and coalition warfare, it's so loving stupid how factions in HoI IV just end up heaping all their divisions together in a mess on one front unless seriously scripted to do otherwise

anyway thats my HoI V fantasy that won't be realized

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lostconfused posted:

You can't learn everything about EUIV because they keep adding bespoke hand crafted mechanics for one random province nation in every update.

Your only real choice is to just play the one tag you're interested in and learning how it works as you play.

None of that might be applicable to another tag should you decide to play something else.

yeah that owns though. i dont' play Eu nearly as much as HoI or CK or Vicky3 but when im in the mood for its particular map painting it always hits the spot.
Honestly all the paradox games are pretty good right now, for all their particular foibles, people bitch about them in proportion to their devotion

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Speaking of wildly ambitious EA grand strategy games, has anyone touched Grand Tactician: Civil War? It looks intriguing

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So i punted on Grand Tactician after the mid goon-vibes and picked up Flashpoint Operations: Southern Storm. Its a blast, exactly what i was hoping Armored Brigade would be more-like. Definitely the best counter-shuffler ive played since DC: Ardennes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Endman posted:

I was excited to check that out but then I saw that Matrix is asking $110 of His Majesty's Australian Dollareedoos

Bit steep honestly

Whoa
I assume thats with giant hardback manual, on steam it was 40$
E: oh australian. U might be f'ed

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

started the Kursk dlc for UoC and got done with Prokhorovka. It was a very fun scenario, had to restart it thricely and it played out v differently depending on RNG each time

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Pretty, looks interesting. Still wish they would ditch the Americas and tackle the revolutionary wars/Napoleon

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Buck Wildman posted:

door slides open and a geisha is pouring tea for a tiger tank wearing a giant kimono

lol

UoC II remains the superior pretzelish strategy game

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Slavvy posted:

I like to think of the actual historical events as wrong war 2 because Hitler was a crazy idiot and the correct story as being France, Germany and Britain fighting the USSR aka red alert

its so fuckd they didnt do a RA II/Tiberian Sun remaster after that first CnC re-release was so good

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

'Fremen (Ukranian) Sample Units'

lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Brian reynolds really dropped Alpha Centauri and rise of nations then proceeded to never make a game that wasn’t a FarmVille clone ever again

He used to play online Twilight Struggle on these very forums! V nice guy, think i used to have his steam handle

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rare to see a NATO-Pact scenario where the former is attacking and the latter are engaged in a desperate holding defense. Good job making them Bundes boys run

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I like the soviet symbols in Graviteam but miss me with that nato poo poo

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My biggest problem with the recent eugen games is the awful, awful AI. I know they're meant to be played multi but sometimes i dont wanna do that damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I think this came up in another thread but USN aviation doctrine in the 80's was delusional and hopefully nobody would have actually tried to implement it. Rushing carrier groups towards Arkhangelsk and trying to bomb every Soviet airfield and strategic along the way couldn't have worked, but Pentagon politics dictated every arm of every service have a strategic mission to penetrate the Soviet Union somehow, or whatever, and there you go.

Surface navy needed to not just support the strategic arm (submarines) but decisively strike into the Soviet Union itself, and since their organization consisted of carrier groups and was armed with iron bombs, they "just" needed to lol take on the entire Soviet Navy, coastal defences, and land based air to deliver those weapons.

U have any book recs on this subject? I have 'To Hold the Seas' on my reading list but I think that only covers USN to the 60s