Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have a lot of fun making commie nations in HOI4. it was sad watching that video where Matt christman watched a dude poorly play hearts of iron 4 kaiserreich, but also pretty indicative. AAAAAA I HATE LOOKING AT THESE MINUTE POLITICAL DECISIONS THIS ISNT FUN. I mean, goddamn. HOI4 isn’t the guideline to the left but that sentiment right there.

I suppose Matt can be forgiven for not seeing that kind of thing as a game and wondering “when does Mario get the mushroom” which games like this this don’t give you.

but, the person playing the game sucked at it. so many of us could do better. we’d just have to edit the boring parts. the dream lives in this video game.

edit: three unedited hours of failure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQgLMNiiIRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

there was some ridiculous axis and Allie’s clone a decade ago that’s claim to fame was it was the worlds largest board game. there was some dude on the forums who would talk about having a full ss uniform on display in his game room. this was before it was super obvious to the mainstream that this guy was a maniac. anyway, I disagreed with him about a very specific rule regarding the navy and he tried to correct me but then the game designer came in and said he was wrong. a triumph for communism of the 21st century.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

KomradeX posted:

Listening to Hell on Earth got me to go in on the P500 of that strategic level 30 years War game GMT is working on

which game?

also, there is an obvious disdain for communism from every major hoi4 streamer. Like there are also jokes fascism being evil, but the format just kind of encourages imperialist conquest.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m honestly pretty excited about this. https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1027-order-opportunity.aspx. although I worry about the bias that may be in the game. also the laughable idea that in 2000 (or honestly even in 2020) that Russia has anywhere near the global influence of the us, eu, or China. I’ve had an idea floating around in my head for a while if a scifi setting great powers war game that is more about influencing other planets and planting traps that about open warfare.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

so like…the game that has the recruitable black mercenary only talk about crack, the recruitable Chinese mercenary talk about a westerners idea of Chinese mysticism, the all-African enemies wearing tribal garb rather than modern warfare garb, etc…

also takes a level headed approach to communism and its role in African politics?

what the gently caress is this

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

fr0id posted:

so like…the game that has the recruitable black mercenary only talk about crack, the recruitable Chinese mercenary talk about a westerners idea of Chinese mysticism, the all-African enemies wearing tribal garb rather than modern warfare garb, etc…

also takes a level headed approach to communism and its role in African politics?

what the gently caress is this

forget it Fr0id, it’s euro games

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

so there’s a modern conflict GMT game, Order & Opportunity, about the conflict between the democracies of the US and EU vs authoritarianism of Russia and China. I asked the devs about how it seems to be a basically neocon view of the world going by their sources and if there’s going to be anything by Chinese or Russian sources in global politics. “it’s not neo con. also no.”

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I know this isn’t the best thread for it but I think it’s worth bringing up:

the classic line about communism is “works in theory [eg video game simulation] not in practice”

what are the games missing that makes them unable to simulate history?

fr0id has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Aug 22, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's really the other way around: communism does work in games that are sufficiently simulationist, as long as the devs aren't so ideologically poisoned to stack the deck against them dishonestly. It's the superior politico-economic system in all three Victorias; the only downside is "lots of micromanagement" in 2, and come on, that's literally just "skill issue"

Workers & Resources is more about demonstrating how all the abstraction in other city-builders ends up misrepresenting what actually goes into the running of a city, and that this occlusion ends up making modern American cities seem more feasible/viable than they actually are

I guess one of the counter-examples is a game like East vs West, the Cold-War-Gone-Hot spin-off of Axis & Allies, where the Warsaw Pact is given like half as much production capacity as NATO, which is an insane handicap with no basis in reality. Or the Operation Unthinkable scenario Strategic Command, where again the Soviet forces are outnumbered in July of 1945.

I put the [] in the wrong place and edited it after the fact. would you mind to respond to what I intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Lostconfused posted:

The class conflict is in the economy laws.

Except computer economy sucks, so trade sucks, so no player is willingly going to pick free trade.

Or everyone being happy with Interventionism which is what the player would be happy with, while laissez-Faire the one that embodies class conflict is something the player would also not pick willingly like free-trade

Edit: Well that and https://vic3.paradoxwikis.com/Human_rights_laws but the human rights laws are just "give more concessions to the workers" which isn't really the same back and forth as the economy laws, and you don't really need to touch them all that much unless your workers would attempt a revolution over it.

so it sounds like capitalism requires a bunch of other people who realize how to cheat the whole system and are happy to do so and the ai is too dumb for this?