Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You can change the title of YouTube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. But you can’t change the upload date

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a lot of slowed+reverb songs out there, it's like a whole thing

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first time I ever heard that Corey Hart song was in a Chicago house mix where it was pitched and slowed to hell, it was awesome. I miss those old late night house music mix sessions on wbmx and b96.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ruddiger posted:

The first time I ever heard that Corey Hart song was in a Chicago house mix where it was pitched and slowed to hell, it was awesome. I miss those old late night house music mix sessions on wbmx and b96.

B96 The KILLER BEE

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
my first time was actually pretty recent, demna's husband did a remix for balenciaga rtw ss21

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tu1D0Pichng&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Full script for Nope now available.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is it just the script for what ended up making it to screens, or does it have that whole deleted subplot connected to Gordy's Home? I'm curious where it was going with that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forget, did anything come of OJ putting that mirror ball on the plunger?

banned from Starbucks posted:

B96 The KILLER BEE

:hfive:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 31, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I forget, did anything come of OJ putting that mirror ball on the plunger?

IIRC, it was to help acclimatize Lucky to future FX gigs by not getting freaked out at their own reflection.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It pays off when he has to make sure Lucky won’t freak out when seeing JJ, who is essentially a giant mirror ball.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Have you confused JJ with the TMZ guy?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
No? I don’t mean a mirror literally, but a giant metallic-looking object.

It’s been a while but I seem to remember OJ using the ball to make sure Lucky won’t bolt when seeing JJ, during the third act. I might be confused, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Young Freud posted:

IIRC, it was to help acclimatize Lucky to future FX gigs by not getting freaked out at their own reflection.

This is the reason. The pay off is OJ thinking back to the way lucky reacted to the silver ball, looking herself in the eye.

He remembered the way she reacted to eye contact

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just watched this one, I forgot that when we first saw OJ he didn't like to look people in the eye - that was cute.

Edit: but Emerald at the end, when she was at Jupe's ranch, pulled off an Akira slide - why? In a movie with a lot of subtextual allusions in the way it was filmed, it seemed very explicit, but I had no idea why.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 4, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
it's cool

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Samovar posted:

Just watched this one, I forgot that when we first saw OJ he didn't like to look people in the eye - that was cute.

I've read a few people say that OJ is coded as autistic - difficulties with eye contact and social situations, much more comfortable with animals, a few small tics etc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've read a few people say that OJ is coded as autistic - difficulties with eye contact and social situations, much more comfortable with animals, a few small tics etc.

I can see that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That was the impression I had at first, but I think it's more a combination of him being uncomfortable being the showman, him still being very upset about his father's death, and generally being used to avoiding eye contact with animals. By the end that's pretty much all gone and having his character arc being that he cured his autism by being more confident would be pretty lovely.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

By the end that's pretty much all gone and having his character arc being that he cured his autism by being more confident would be pretty lovely.
:confused:
The situations at the end of the movie involve all of OJ's specific skills and none of the things that make him uncomfortable. He knows how animals think, he knows how to ride a horse, and that's all he needs to deal with Jean Jacket. He's always had an understanding with his sister, and Angel has been around enough that he's comfortable with him now. Holst is the only odd element out.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

That was the impression I had at first, but I think it's more a combination of him being uncomfortable being the showman, him still being very upset about his father's death, and generally being used to avoiding eye contact with animals. By the end that's pretty much all gone and having his character arc being that he cured his autism by being more confident would be pretty lovely.

I think he is most certainly a socially awkward guy. I definitely didn’t read the ending as “curing” him. His arc, to me, was that he finally became the animal trainer that his father was, and he proved it by being able to guide Lucky through an incredible situation and by “breaking” Jean Jacket. No impression that he will ever be a showman like his father or sister, instead his skill set is his understanding of animal behavior. What about his personality changed by the end? Did he even speak in the last 20 minutes?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I felt he was carrying himself more confidently and overall holding eye contact (with people) more comfortably, I took it as him understanding himself and finding confidence in his skills with animals and with people. In retrospect it makes me think his behavior and mannerisms in the beginning are less an innate part of him and more a response to what he's been through so far; if it was supposed to be him being on the autism spectrum I would have thought that'd continue throughout the movie rather than being something he kind of grows out of.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I felt he was carrying himself more confidently and overall holding eye contact (with people) more comfortably, I took it as him understanding himself and finding confidence in his skills with animals and with people. In retrospect it makes me think his behavior and mannerisms in the beginning are less an innate part of him and more a response to what he's been through so far; if it was supposed to be him being on the autism spectrum I would have thought that'd continue throughout the movie rather than being something he kind of grows out of.

I think OJ looking more confident was a result of him feeling more comfortable in the role of animal wrangler and not salesman/showman/being on set. His skillset in that department was what was needed by the situation and he rose to the occasion. He was able to hold eye contact and such during that situation because it’s a situation he completely understands, unlike many of the previous scenarios he was placed in. I didn’t read or notice his personality as changing drastically, I think he is still the same OJ in most ways but isn’t a square peg in a round hole anymore.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's possible but I took it as character growth too, overcoming his insecurities and trauma.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

This is the reason. The pay off is OJ thinking back to the way lucky reacted to the silver ball, looking herself in the eye.

He remembered the way she reacted to eye contact

Yup. Iirc the plungerball itself never shows up after the scene where OJ makes it, but the script does point out that he sees the reflection of the light coming on in the stables in it when Jupe's kids are messing with him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I feel like there's possibly some parallel in those funny scenes pointed out where OJ treats Angel like a horse when communicating with him, and how Jupe, while acting like and seemingly believing that Jean Jacket is piloted by sentient beings, actually treats and thinks of it more like an animal that he trains, and thinks he's tamed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/franaid2000/status/1608998941034438656?s=46&t=T8rE9jds63LrpGfycsd4Qg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah I didn't read him as on the spectrum either, just worn down from probably a few years now of what we see play out in the beginning where all the work and skill is for nothing when one of the production folks can just completely shut his entire job down because a horse made a sound for like half a second.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's weird that there's unnecessary adr to explain that Em and Oj are siblings, but the pit stop at Jupiter's Claim seemingly goes unexplained until Lucky is handed off. What exactly did Em think was happening up until that point?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I just noticed that's a green square.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kinda lovely that Nope got completely overlooked by the Oscars, not even a Sound Design nomination.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m kind of surprised that people are, well, surprised. This is absolutely not the kind of movie that the Academy goes for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Counterpoint: E,E,AAO getting 11 noms.

But generally, yes, you’re right. Every few years one big genre film will make it through. I’m actually surprised it’s Everything, Everywhere, etc as audience reactions felt very divisive. People either loved or hated it.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 25, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m kind of surprised that people are, well, surprised. This is absolutely not the kind of movie that the Academy goes for.

For the big categories, but usually movies like Nope get thrown a bone in technical categories. I'm surprised that it didn't even get that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pirate Jet posted:

Conversely, just 4 years ago Get Out won best original screenplay and was nominated for best picture, best director, and best actor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wasn't really surprised since it's a movie about Hollywood eating people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Finally got it on DVD as an impulse buy, a lot on the subtitles I missed since the audio mixing is kinda hosed at time and I'm also pretty bad with african-american accents.

A moment I found particularly lol is Em being pissed at the praying mantis and saying she's gonna eat it if she sees it again. As above, so below.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A little thread necromancy but NASA released the Final Report from their UAP Independent Study team, as well as a media briefing/Q&A about the report.

The TLDR is that the report found no evidence to suggest any reported UAP sightings are extra-terrestrial in origin, but also they also have some cases that are still unexplained and they'd like to study UAPs from a position of science rather than sensationalism.

I found it amusing that the "none of the sightings are extra-terrestrial in origin" wording fits into the theory that Jean Jacket's species has always been from Earth. Plus the idea that NASA are trying to remove the spectacle.

Of course they're also requesting that any pilots who have an encounter with UAPs gather as much data as possible. Can't have the Oprah Shot if the response is "yeah we know"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dawg if the Nope alien is real I am straight up killing myself