Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm still digesting this movie. There's a lot going on in it. I think there's something said about the cruel nature of fame with Jupe's entire career being thanks not to starring in Kid Sheriff movie but being the only survivor of the Gordy incident, even though it's almost forgotten for obvious reasons. Yes, Mary Joe also survived, but the movie does make the claim that things only really exist if it's on film, and MJ is no longer photogenic. Jupiter has become one of those famous people who you don't really know why they're famous, their fame has become self-sustaining. The bit where he needs to remind Emerald what SNL stands for before recounting the sketch as if it's his own memory, which itself is a whole other thing.

Supposedly, Jupiter was supposed to be Jesse Plemons, but I feel like Steven Yeun works much better because a '90s minority child actor having a career into adulthood is pretty difficult without having some sort of huge moment. Em's comment about "whatever happened to the black kid, 3D?" made me feel that Jupiter wasn't even the star of that movie, he was basically the character Ke Huy Quan would play in his childhood career.

Early in the film, after the first encounter, OJ makes a comment about "What is a bad miracle?" and Gordy is clearly that for Jupiter. And it makes me wonder if the Heywoods would eventually become something like him once they get their "Oprah shot".

fake edit: as I was collecting my thoughts about this, there's an interview with Steven Yeun in which he literally says this, including his collaboration with Peele on making Jupe a side character on Kid Sheriff instead of the lead (as Peele intended) and even bringing up Ke Huy Quan.

Everyone is calling the monster "Jean Jacket" after the horse Otis Sr. and OJ had a hard time breaking, but the scene in Angel's apartment with the fantasy game/movie voice over made me start calling it the Dragon, only to be reinforced when it moves from the flying saucer/tailless flying manta ray to its final form and unfolds into this massive beast. Maybe "Jean Jacket" is a living fossil of the creatures we created the whole dragon mythology around, an massive aerial predator that could swallow whole villages? Also, speaking of which, Peele showing us almost the entire process of digestion with the creature, from ingestion; to crushed and dissolved in a flying balloon house Sarlacc Pit; to being piss-shitted out onto the Heywood's ranch house, the only things largely remaining being pocket change and keys, made things particularly horrific.

The encounter with the biker from TMZ is such a loop thrower. Like, he's this mysterious figure like maybe he's from the government or something, then Angel recognizing who he represents and it puts an emphasis in how much time is left for the Heywoods et al to grab that bag (alternately, I also called the monster "the Bag"). According to the credits, the biker has the name of Ryder Muybridge, which plays into Eadweard Muybridge dialogue of the Heywoods being the descendants of the uncredited jockey in the first moving picture.

ElectricSheep posted:

What a great movie. I’m still having just random thoughts about it as I’m waking up:

My theater showed a trailer for a Labor Day release of Jaws remastered, which was insanely appropriate for Nope given the Spielberg influences, right down to how Em kills Jean Jacket.

I have to give kudos to Peele because the movie begins and ends with Jupiter and a popping balloon

ElectricSheep posted:

Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer knocked it out of the park. I love how they’re Oliver Senior’s personality literally divided into both of his kids. OJ is the technical expert, devoted to the horses, the farm, and has a fantastic understanding of animals in general, while Em is the gregarious showman with the eye for business. Things can only work when they both work together.

It's pretty evident when she's rewatching the old show reel tape with Otis Sr.'s voiceover and it's her entire spiel verbatim she says at the safety meeting. She memorized every line

ElectricSheep posted:

And on that note, I’m kind of wondering how people can interpret Em as “hallucinating” OJ in that last shot. Given that it’s a pretty clear Jaws homage, we already had the death of the Quint stand-in with Holst and Hooper/Angel nearly died but made it by the skin of his teeth. I’m just gonna assume that Em and OJ are both playing Brody, he’s clearly alive and leave it at that.

Maybe it's left ambiguous but I think it's weaker if OJ dies, largely because his arc in the later half of the film is taming it. When he realizes it's an animal and that Jupe didn't train it properly, he recontextualizes the Dragon as a wild, flying, weirdly-shaped "horse", renames it "Jean Jacket" and comes up with the course to break it, just like any other horse. The bit with him facing it down is the final stage and Jean Jacket is not trying to eat him but do a threat presentation, show it's fangs so to speak. It also fits in similarly to Jupe and Gordy with the fist bump during the full rampage flashback, we're it attacks anyone it hasn't been regularly trained with. It's mentioned in Jupe's dialogue that there were multiple chimps that played Gordy, so the Gordy who went wild because he was the chimp trained for exploding fist bumps with Jupe, not for crowd scenes.

Also, Lucky is aptly-named and we see the horse survive the stage show attack.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

every time people phrase it like this it's gonna trigger me a little bit

I had a thought to change it to "processing" a bit but NAAAAAWWWW this IS the Something Awful forums :unsmigghh:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of funny how that explains why she forgot one of the "great"s when talking about the jockey.

No, I do mean she memorized every word from that opening because Otis Sr. says "great great grandfather" because Otis Sr. himself would be four generations removed from the jockey. OJ added the "great", because the business is now five generations removed. It also reflects that Emerald has been completely isolated from family business that she doesn't even realize that as a change.

BTW, I ended up rewatching the trailers to confirm Em's dialogue and noticed that these shots are not in the finish film...

The last one maybe something involving Otis Sr. or a testament from OJ or something but the first and second ones are intriguing because who is this man? He sort of looks Asian, maybe Jupe's father? An animal wrangler that blows Gordy's brains out?.

CelticPredator posted:

Nope more like Vore

This is most likely going to be put into one of those Photoshop Phridays or something explaining what the movie is really about.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Those first two shots are from a cut subplot about a crazed superfan of the Gordy show who is also implied to be a pedophile after Mary Jo, he happens to show up on set with a gun the same day as Gordy's attack and is the one who shoots Gordy dead.

Ahhh...I can see why it was probably cut but I am hoping that, after seeing what is left of Mary Jo, he kills himself just for maximum fuckedupness for Jupe. Feels like a stalker attacking the set on the same day as Gordy rampaging is a bit much, but then again, it's such a weird occurrence that it fits with Mary Jo's shoe standing up.

Otherwise, it feels very obvious that Gordy is killed by cops or studio security or maybe the handlers.

Speaking of the rampage, anyone notice the guy in the upper right of the audience section. He looks dead or unconscious but I can't see Gordy getting all the way up there to kill him. I'm guessing he's a victim of the audience evacuating, getting crushed in a stampede.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yawgmoft posted:

Huh. Adds a layer of man's hubris without really distorting the theme. I like it.

It's all speculation and fan theory, but at least it's backed up by dialogue from Jupiter himself. He is awfully proud of that 'first exploding fist bump' photo and he mentions the "one of the chimps" line in passing, which makes me think there was a mix up or something. And we're shown earlier that with OJ getting distracted and Lucky getting frightened looking at their own eye and kicking the makeup lady's kit, as well as the Siegfried and Roy mention later by Holst, almost all of these incidents come from handlers getting complacent and making a mistake.

Something that's a bit hosed up is that the Park sons' alien costumes are repurposed chimp costumes and the only thing left of them after Jean Jacket swallows them up are the hands of the costume. Just a coincidence, the name of Jordan Peele's production company is Monkeypaw Productions. Also, they're usually the symbol of a bad miracle JESUS CHRIST JORDAN! :argh:

I feel like Yeun might get an award for this film. Jupiter almost feels like a Scorsese character, like a modern Rupert Pupkin. But feel like that might take away from Keke Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya's performances.

Tyberius posted:

You start seeing it unfold after it eats the barb wire that Angel was caught in, as the shots pan from the brother and sister, it gets more and more floaty

I wasn't sure if that was damage at first when it started unfolding. I thought it was injured, not trying to get OJ's attention but when it's completely gone Evangelion Angel at the end, it's pretty clear what's going on. It's the final form.

I think what's interesting is that up until the stage show feeding, it looks like a solid object, like a spacecrafft, but when it tries to get at Lucky, it kinda resembles a hat, getting kinda plush and fabric looking. It keeps up it's solid look until OJ and team begin racing it, and it starts rippling at a few points like one of the tube men. Then when tries to eat Angel and gets the fence instead, it just gets all weird

Speaking of Jean Jacket, what does everyone think of happened to the original JJ? Em was clearly upset about JJ's fate and Holst brings up The Scorpion King ended up using camels anyway, it sounds like there was an accident and JJ was either killed or had to be put down.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pospysyl posted:

Incredible movie. Certainly my favorite film score I've heard in quite awhile. Gordy was absolutely terrifying, the first time I've actually been scared by a movie in years. On a different note, when I saw the Akira slide I clapped!

Something I really appreciated was the Steven Yeuen story, which was so personal for this kind of movie. Gordy's attack is the worst moment of Ricky's life, but because he survives it's also the happiest. That's why he keeps the shoe; it standing up is just as miraculous as his second lease on life. On display, it's totally clean with no bloodstains. Likewise, Ricky believes that by laughing at the jokes and leaning into the experience he has healed his trauma. The Sky Lasso Experience is part of that healing process as he enacts his revenge against animals, killing a horse every week. Where once he was the victim of an animal attack, now he is their master. (This is probably why he invited his co-star to the spectacle.) The tragedy, though, is that instead of healing himself he is recreating the conditions under which the original disaster took place, playing with an animal he doesn't understand, only on a much grander scale. He's trapped himself in a cycle of behavior that he doesn't have the means to perceive until the very end, grinning as he realizes what he's done.

I agree with you up until Sky Lasso Experience although you do make a good point in the rest of it. I am not even sure Ricky knows what is even going on with Jean Jacket or that it isn't a spaceship. We do know he thinks there's someone piloting it called "the Viewers" and that they take the horses but do not return them, so I pretty sure he figures they're eaten or something.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pospysyl posted:

The way it's edited from Gordy's attack to a match cut of Ricky psyching himself up for the show to the show itself suggests to me that those two events are psychologically linked for him, at least on a subconscious level.

No, I get that part, it's just I don't think Ricky thinks he's killing the horses, at least at first. But then it feels like show business has warped his empathy somewhat.

I think the reason he's reaching out to OJ to come to the Star Lasso show and why he pranked him instead of calling the cops when Em took the statue is because he wants OJ to be a part of the experience, probably as guilt for taking his horses.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

I liked that The creature turned into a big weather balloon like the Roswell wreckage

Jesus, I hadn't thought about that and you're right. Along with the dragon connection implied when they retreat to Angel's apartment, there's definitely some sort of Gernsback Continuum stuff going on with it, like maybe they've existed all this time, like a flying Coelacanth, but we've contextualized them based off their appearance into dragons or flying saucers and created mythologies around them.

Also, maybe the Roswell incident was a baby one and whatever "alien" remains were actually partially-digested humans.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Well, that and both OJ and Em were trying to attract it's attention to let the other escape, and OJ finally gives in and lets Em take the lead wrangling her own Jean Jacket, calling back to when their father took that opportunity away from her. The scene was much more of a 'I trust you / you got this' between brother and sister than forcing Jean Jacket to back down.

Okay, I'm on board with this. Does make me think that the Jupe balloon was always meant to be used as a distraction or a way to destroy it?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 24, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darko posted:

Also, the thing that makes it so horrifying is that it starts with claustrophobic confusion and fear and then as you rise, the next peoples blood starts raining down on you and you know it gets worse.

What is that thing that woman ends up stopping against? A dissolved horse?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

can't stop thinking about this movie

someone posted this on /r/nopemovie

the name "the viewers" seems painfully on-the-nose for Jupe after knowing the full story, but in the context when it's introduced it just seems like a random name for little men from space

Given that the Viewer costumes are also chimp/ape suits, Jupe internalized a gently caress load of trauma from the Gordy incident.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

quote:

DISCLAIMER: Jupiters Claim is in no way affiliated with the “Kid Sheriff” franchise.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

So wait, did Gordy kill EVERYONE in the studio except the kid? There were people in the studio audience that seemed pretty still, not sure if they were just cowering like Jupe or got mauled to death. The parents definitely got killed and the sister got horribly mutilated, but there were a lot of other people there, wouldn't most of them flee?

It looks the rampage caused a panicked exit and some people in the studio audience got crushed. They're either unconscious or dead. There's also probably people hiding, like what happened with the dad character and Jupe.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 28, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I am honestly wondering how much of Gordy's rampage was filmed. We know that from the bits in the trailer of the cut subplot, Mary Jo's stalker is walking to the studio thru a fleeing crowd on the lot, so who knows how much was actually supposed to be in the film and what POV was it to take? Like, was it supposed to be diagetically thru a camera viewfinder like the bits we see in the film?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

P-R-A-Y-F-O-R-G-O-R-D-O

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

No chance the film in the hand held camera would still be viable after it fell from Jean Jacket?

I realize probably not because film is vulnerable to so many things. But also horror movie logic dictates it would be just fine.

We see the portion of the film from the handheld camera that survived diegetically

One of my thoughts about their plan was that if they all got killed by Jean Jacket or had to retreat again, at least the film would have survived

Axel Serenity posted:

The film itself might be prone to damage easily, but the canisters they're in are not. They are big and heavy. Like, incredibly durable. They were meant to handle shipments all over the place in all kinds of conditions, so it's possible everything survived just fine.

It's kind of a moot point though. I thought the ending made it pretty clear that the cat was out of the bag about JJ, whether it was just from the one photo, multiple film reels, or the news scrum just outside Jupiter's Claim. Emerald wasn't just smiling because OJ was ok; she was also prepping herself for the news cameras. She got the picture she wanted, and if the reels survived would only reinforce the proof of JJ's existence. Despite going through Hell to get it, the addiction to fame means people would gladly do it all over again. It's a never-ending churn.

That's exactly how I took it as well, that twenty years from now Emerald and OJ are going to be in the same boat as Jupiter, just riding off the fame of capturing on film and beating Jean Jacket. They'll probably buy Jupiter's Claim and turn it into O.J. Corral or something.

Also, whatever footage they captured of JJ on the cameras was just JJ in saucer mode and not the full spectacle of the presentation

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Something else I was contemplating-we all have a good laugh at idea of poor Freckles thinking of ants and dying. Horses are scared of dumb things from a human perspective; someone arbitrarily standing behind them? Their own reflection? Part of the training they do for horses for many purposes is to desensitize them from these benign things.

But then take the antagonist of the film itself. A big flying thing. Except that humans are pretty used to big flying things. But this one is just wrong. It sounds wrong, it moves wrong, it's there and then it's not. Jean Jacket ended up being incredibly fragile, easy to bait, easy to scare off. But it's appearance, it's sounds, and it's behavior is terrifying. Now the vast majority of the time you can avoid getting attacked by such a creature by simply staying indoors-while it can vacuum up some materials it's fragile structure means it's the equivalent of us licking up broken glass to get at a chicken tendy.

I suspect that inorganic matter played a part in its digestive process, like how chickens would eat stones and rocks to help grind food in their gizzards. When we see the digestion, we can see people getting bloodily banged into objects as they're advancing, and the woman we're following ends up getting her skull slowly crushed against the horse statue by both the swallowed audience and JJ's muscle

Panfilo posted:

Humans are interesting in how they process fear compared to most other animals. Given our capacity to learn it is the unknown that is scary and understanding the unknown can help make sense of things. I mean think about it - [spoiler] Once Jean Jacket's existence is discovered by humanity at large, that species is hosed. A whole new generation of Jupes will be leading hunting expeditions to blast these things out of the sky. It won't be scary, it will be a novelty like Jupe always wanted Jean Jacket to be. .

Military aircraft very likely would murder them, even without missiles coming into play. It would largely depend on how far the EM field extends, but it didn't feel like it was particular huge considering that only certain parts of the Haywood ranch were effected by its movement. The only other saving grace would be it's electromagnetic properties might keep it from being detected on radar.

At the same time, I'm thinking it was stronger in saucer mode than it was in full presentation mode. And JJ could be what's known as "ballistically tolerant", meaning you can shoot holes into it all day and it wouldn't die or fall out of the air because it's not hitting anything vital.

BTW, on a related note, there's an article with a scientist that consulted with Peele on the creation of the UFO. Spoilers abound at this link: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/nope-movie-ufo-design

Of particular note they used a multitude of oceanic invertebrate life as inspiration, but the ending of the interview is particularly interesting...

quote:

Was there anything that you came up with, in your conversations about designing this thing, that didn't end up being used but you thought was pretty cool?

Dabiri: "This is my first time doing this, so I don't want to ruin anything that they might have planned for later on. I would just say, there's a lot more stuff that they filmed that I think is really exciting. I personally hope that it will be released, whether it's in a director's cut or something. I don't know what their plans are for that.

But in terms of how did Jean Jacket get here? Let's see, what can I say without saying too much? Let me give you a concrete biological analogy. Jellyfish have what's called an asexual reproduction state. Basically, if you find one jellyfish, there's bound to be many, many others in the area, because they all tend to be born, so to speak, out of the same egg. So, it's rare that you find one of them. Here in this story, there's one Jean Jacket that we see. Suppose the question is, is Jean Jacket really one of one, or are there others? Is Jean Jacket actually dead?

There's a species of jellyfish that's called the immortal jellyfish, because if you damage it or otherwise harm it, it goes back to almost like an embryonic form, and hibernates in that state, and then comes back later when conditions are more favorable. I'm not the movie maker. But if it was me, I would say there would be some interesting opportunity to ask the question of whether we've seen the last of Jean Jacket."

:tinfoil:

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 30, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

I know about the Gordy incident before I saw the movie but having that "spoiler" actually ADDED to the tension. Because I didn't know exactly how it would play out. It's like reading a spoiler for Alien thats basically "The alien attacks the crew while they were eating and kills one of them". You know one of them is going to die but you don't know exactly how it will happen.

And the scene thats playing at the time has the cast so visibly uncomfortable which just adds to the tension.

I will say that the moment Gordy appears bloodsoaked I knew at some point he was going to get his brains blown out, it was just a matter of when not if. Maybe a trainer, maybe the cops. I think that's probably why the stalker was cut, because he ruined the tension. I had my hands crawling up my face at every moment that chimp was on screen.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phy posted:

Yknow, for a movie that is pretty good about conserving its narrative detail, we never did find out what happened to the black kid from that

Em's question really said it all about 3D.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Double post

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It’s set now. They actually got permission to film in it and they basically restocked the store just for filming. But it’s dead now I think

I would think sometime in the late 2010s, largely based off only Angel is using an iPhone.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Its kinda funny that people are talking about vore scenes in movies, because I had just watched Jaws 3D and there's a scene where the British nobleman adventurer gets swallowed whole and there's a shot from inside the shark's mouth and he's masticated until he becomes a red cloud. Then later on, in the film's climax, Dennis Quaid sees the guy's lifeless torso inside the shark's mouth with a grenade clutched in hand to setup the callback to the first film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

deety posted:

The part of this that was the most chilling to me in Nope wasn't the shots of the victims inside JJ, it was the fact that you could track it by the sounds of screaming.

Up until it exerts itself and the screaming stops.

TheBizzness posted:

drat. I need to see this again.

I really want to see this with a friend, but I have some sensitive friends and feel like I have to caution them without spoiling things.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Michael Wincott was in a lot of movies in the 90s starting with the Crow. Like he still gets roles and such. Maybe he's just picky.

Yeah, he's got the same thing that Ethan Hawke, Stephen Dorff, and other actors his age have where there's a line when they're doing a movie for a paycheck and a movie because they genuinely want to be in it because of the director or cast.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Is that shot not right at the end of Jean Jacket pulling itself back together after slightly coming apart while either eating the TMZ guy or failing to eat Angel?

Anyway, I had a good chuckle at how Jean Jacket died from eating plastic.

I don't think so. It's early on in the climax when he's trying to run JJ through his paces.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

deety posted:

While I agree that Em comes off as abrasive at first, which seems pretty intentional, her behavior completely clicked for me as soon as she brought up the story of the first Jean Jacket.

We're introduced to Em by Otis Sr. asking where she's been, and then by her lateness and over-the-top presentation. At that point it's natural to just assume that she's a flake. Then we find out that one of her formative memories is that broken promise to let her train Jean Jacket. That was supposed to be Em's first big role in the family business. It was this hugely significant thing for her, but then she realizes that teaching her wasn't as important to her father. He was okay with putting her off out of convenience. I'm sure he had his reasons, and depending on the financial circumstances of the ranch at that time, they might have made sense. But that doesn't change the fact that as a young girl, Em was looking forward to having her dad show her the ropes with Jean Jacket, and instead Otis Sr. was down in the ring with OJ, who was also still fairly young and inexperienced at the time. I'm going to guess that wasn't the only time that the daughter of the family felt more pushed aside than the son who shared their father's name.

It's also implied that Jean Jacket was the beginning of trouble at Haywood's Hollywood Horses. It's not stated but the dialogue hints that there was an accident on the set of Scorpion King that JJ died and/or injured/killed someone and, as Antlers Holst brings up, the filmmakers ended up switching to camels. The fact that Em couldn't didn't train the horse and it ended up dying on its first film would definitely cause a big rift between her and the rest of the family.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

who would win in a fight, predator or nope

Mighty as well ask who could win, Batman or Superman.

It would depend on if the Predator's gadgets would survive the electromagnetic field put out by JJ. Otherwise, depends on whether JJ could sense an invisible Predator.

I'd imagine that if JJ found a Pred and swallowed them, it would be a very disagreeable meal because of backup melee weapons like the claws.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

F4rt5 posted:

Watching this now for the second time and I noticed the music they play in the studio at the start is Jodie Foster's ""La vie v'est chouette," from a movie she played in as a child actress.

e: also I think this is mixed for stereo, no problem hearing the dialogue.
e2: and it's such a good mix too

Her feature film debut and a movie where she was almost mauled by a lion, "Napoleon And Samantha". She apparently developed a phobia of cats from the experience.

Layers, man.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Scissorfighter posted:

Edit: This time I noticed Jupiter's Claim is covered in images of Jupe as a kid, which ties into Mary-Jo having her child self on a t-shirt. They both latch onto a time before the tragedy destroyed them.

Yeah, there's an interesting thing that happened in production, when Jesse Plemons was set to play Ricky and he was supposedly the star of "Kid Sheriff". When Steven Yeun took over when Plemons, Yeun told Peele that he had a hard time believing that a Korean child actor would be the lead in a '90s kid film, so they went with Ricky playing the character Jupiter and he was a side character in the fictional film, and it was that the "Gordy's Home" incident that skyrocketed him to fame and not "Kid Sheriff", even though it was this grizzly tragedy, and that he's basically been taking over the franchise since then and making that his claim to fame. He's basically rewriting history to avoid "Gordy's Home".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Somehow I missed that these were people the first time I saw the film. The sheer terrifying size of JJ is really brought home here.

Jupe says that the hole is about the size of two school buses in his spiel at that Star Lasso Experience.

Average length of a school bus is 35 feet/10.6 meters, so JJ's maw is about approximately 70 ft/21.2 meters wide.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/DallasKing1138/status/1566083112429408256?s=20&t=8V6KYZQt-tpM3AQ5ySvJUA

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, that and the prank were invitations. Jupe want him to come, either to complain about his kids or just curiosity, and spring the Star Lasso Experience on him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

anatomi posted:

I personally don't think that the movie was ambiguous on that point. It felt clear to me that they'd lost the footage due to Holst's last destructive act of glory hunting. He's unable to go against his nature — he's still the leopard even when he's getting strangled to death. Of course he's gonna chase the impossible shot and lose everything.

Holst's partly right in that he doesn't deserve the impossible shot. But Em does and that's why she finally gets the Oprah level plate.

The canisters surviving would diminish her victory.

My take is the canisters prove the existence of Jean Jacket, but only of his high-speed stealth form. It's a glimpse but not the full spectacle of Jean Jacket.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Newsflash everyone!
https://twitter.com/slimyswampghost/status/1567179176108515329?t=Q4Z9mm4TTTg2hjUP1iMEiA&s=19

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/toxictrreat/status/1567218693658099715?s=20&t=df4kXJa2ii8F7q_2EiQpnQ

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

God Hole posted:

simplest explanation is usually the correct one: it's indigenous to earth and has been cohabitating with humanity all along. no need to address the space travel dilemma!

This is my take, too. It's even implied when OJ is trying to process things in Angel's apartment and audio from a TV or game is talking about a "dragon swallowing up whole towns". It's making the connection between the mythology of dragons and JJ.

I really think the whole "not of planet earth" was a pre-release misdirection, just like how the final trailer had a changed line to hide that JJ was not a UAP but a monster.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

idk if anyone has listened to Hideo Kojima's new podcast on Spotify "Brain Structure" but Kojima was such a big fan of Nope his second episode was all about it although he doesn't get too much detail into it because of spoilers, so he kinda talks about UFOs for most of it.

However, the next episode is rumored to have Jordan Peele on it. According to the closing promo, "someone" got in touch with Kojima related to the subject of the second episode and it's likely Peele since Kojima expressed a great admiration of Peele's oeuvre and Kojima has all his Hollywood director contacts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole faux-nostalgia deal of things like Kid Sheriff and Gordy's Home is always interesting. It's a very tricky thing especially when you're not just making an obviously recognisable but legally distinct riff on something. I think they both seem about a decade too late in the timeline for what they're going for, as has been discussed before; Gordy's Home definitely would be the last gasp of the 80s gimmick sitcom, which I'm sure there's a lot of discussion to be had about why they died out (Though probably mostly because they were never very good) and from what we see of Kid Sheriff, it kinda looks like a riff on Goonies? Though I suppose a kids adventure movie that's merchandised right up the rear end is a lot more 90s plausible.

Similar idea. I really think I'm happier thinking that Nope takes place 5 to 10 years ago. It explains why there's a full-stocked Fry's Electronics.

"Gordy's Home" feels like an early FOX show where they were just throwing anything at the wall to see if it stuck. Like aired in that Sunday night timeslot after NFL (and thus prone to being pre-empted) and before The Simpsons.

"Kid Sheriff" feels more similar to 3 Ninjas where it might have been a modest success theatrically, had a bigger impact on home video, but, like most kid's entertainment, is formulaic and largely forgettable. I would have no doubt that Em and OJ saw "Kid Sheriff" off of basic cable TV, like they did not see that movie theatrically. But, after the "Gordy's Home" incident, there's suddenly a huge interest in it because Jupe survived.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I had mentioned that whole thing about Jordan Peele reaching out to do a Zoom interview after Hideo Kojima gushed over NOPE, but apparently Kojima flew out and met with Peele at what appears to be his house.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1600229483486683136?s=20&t=AMfp6t1cW6W1OP-qJ894cg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I forget, did anything come of OJ putting that mirror ball on the plunger?

IIRC, it was to help acclimatize Lucky to future FX gigs by not getting freaked out at their own reflection.