Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Young Freud posted:

I'm still digesting this movie.
every time people phrase it like this it's gonna trigger me a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
can't stop thinking about this movie

someone posted this on /r/nopemovie

the name "the viewers" seems painfully on-the-nose for Jupe after knowing the full story, but in the context when it's introduced it just seems like a random name for little men from space

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Mercury Hat posted:

I thought for sure that was why the shoe stood up
Same, I thought we would eventually find the Gordy incident was caused by Jean Jacket or equivalent hovering around outside, but what we got (the thematic connection of the two events, and through Jupe) was better.

A Scary Little Dog posted:

having Jean Jacket terrorizing a patch of land called 'Jupiter's Claim' makes it a lot funnier if Jean Jacket is, in fact, from Jupiter
I'm not usually prone to overanalyzing movies but I really think Jupiter's Claim is such a perfect name in so many ways
  • The classic old west "Jupe has claimed this part of the frontier for himself"
  • Jupe's "claim to fame" (and the reason people might visit) is his being a child star in the 90s
  • Jupe is claiming existence of extraterrestrials in his show
  • An alien from Jupiter (?) is coming to claim all your poo poo

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Panfilo posted:

There was also the gag where OJ sees the "aliens" and his reaction to seeing an alien suspending from the ceiling is to punch it in the head.
that was a great scene but my immediate reflection was that those kids are lucky they didn't pull that stunt on a rancher that was packing heat. loving around with someone on their private property in the US in the dead of night might not always end so well

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
some more details about Fry's Electronics role in the movie, which is of great interest to me

How Jordan Peele brought the Bay Area's Fry's Electronics back to life for 'Nope'
San Francisco news anchor, Fry's Electronics co-founder have surprise cameos in 'Nope'

One of the Fry's founders/owners/? gets sucked up in the Star Lasso Experience

apparently you can see some facsimile of Jupiter's Claim on the Universal backlot tour?

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Biff Rockgroin posted:

in Peele's other movies there was always a big reveal, but the trailers always did a good job laying out a mystery that doesn't change
did you watch one of the earlier teaser trailers, or the recent long ones?

I got really annoyed at the trailer I saw before Thor: Love and Thunder because it seemed to go through the whole drat plot, just a bunch of people basically shouting "we need to take a picture of these aliens!!" over and over. I hate seeing trailers for movies I know I'm inevitably going to see.

Though definitely if you come in knowing the premise is "something in the sky is bothering these people" (which you can gather from the poster) the plot doesn't really stray much from that.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Roctavian posted:

I don't think we've talked much about how hard the scene of OJ and his dad in the truck was, at the beginning of the film.
definitely was thinking "well, at least he's talking" until that blood squirt came out and 😬

It was bizarre for me how long it took OJ to react to his dad falling off the horse. I tend to be pretty slow reacting to things these days, but OJ was looking right at him and if I saw somebody fall off a horse like that I'd be running immediately.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

This movie was very good, but guys: can we talk about the god drat sound design?
since watching I have found certain videos of thrill rides to be somewhat triggering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLTdt-j-ais&t=96s

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Each title card was specific to the animal featured in the act (Lucky, Gordy, Jean Jacket, etc.)
specifically I think the cards titled the sequences when each animal met their end

also whoa

creative director Ian Cooper posted:

we were so obsessed with those cards and making them feel real. We agonized over the font. We printed them with a fine art photographer, hung them on the wall, and [cinematographer] Hoyte van Hoytema rolled IMAX footage on them. So [those title cards are] real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

uh, what happened to Jordan Peele's friend that did comedy with him?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Keegan-Michael Key is a fantastic voice actor with a lot of range, but voice acting isn't really an appreciated acting style here in America so it doesn't get brought up much.
is no one going to bring up this iconic duo