Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Saw it earlier today. There was a rowdy guy up front by himself who was just chattering a bit interim someone told him to shut the gently caress up, at which point he started yelling non-stop about how he will never shut up and if anyone wants to suck his dick they're welcome to, and he'd do it back. Staff asked him to be quiet and then to leave, he argued for a while but finally got up just before the first sighting in the movie. You could still hear him yelling at the cops outside the theater during the quiet parts for the rest of that sequence. That's what you get for putting a movie theater next door to a liquor store.

Anyway I can't get the gordy attack out of my head. Do y'all think the shoe was really just because it was part of Jordan Peele's dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Haven't seen Us, but I thought this was a lot less outright horror and outright comedy versus Get Out; there were jokes and there were horrific things but the jokes felt less THIS IS THE FUNNY GUY DOING THE FUNNY THING and for the most part it wasn't really a "horror" movie. The closer comparison is to a movie like Jaws but probably with more social commentary and less adventure. Like Get Out it meditates on characters' trauma and loss.

Be warned though, although for the most part it isn't so much a horror movie as Get Out there is one scene I found profoundly disturbing, that really stuck with me and hosed me up for the rest of the day.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think it's largely missing the majesty of Jurassic Park, which wants you to think about how these are beautiful and magical animals rather than a singular abominable predator that does not belong here and must be put down.

I think there are some structural similarities to Jaws too, with the Gordy sequence taking the place of Quint's monologue about the Indianapolis and the kids in the stable filling in for the night dive.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, that ties in to the idea of spectacle - our addiction to it as an audience (or viewer) and the industry's obsession with providing a spectacle; Holst and Jupiter, Em and OJ wanting their Oprah shot, Angel, even the MAD Magazines and Chris Kattans of the world.

"And I will cast abominable filth upon thee, and make thee vile, and will set thee as a spectacle"

Of course towards the end Jean Jacket literally also casts a bunch of abominable filth upon them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Magic Hate Ball posted:

something being so awful you can’t look away. It feels like a suggestion that we really should, ultimately, be looking away.

Looking at things because you feel you have to and getting hurt because of it seems to be a theme.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

War and Pieces posted:

Only real 90's kids remember Mr Peepers
https://youtu.be/kK82bEEFPck

For some reason I had never realized that his career was cut short by breaking his neck during a Golden Girls sketch. adds another layer of nuance to that scene imo

Apparently he only started talking about it recently, well after everyone stopped caring about Chris Kattan.

Also apparently the injury was during a sketch about a kid getting hurt imitating Golden Girls, playing off kids getting hurt imitating Jackass. Guess he went a little hard imitating an injury.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder if Peele had 2001 in mind when referencing Jupiter, given the idea that both Jean Jacket and the monoliths are unknowable alien intelligences.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, I mean the trial was such a big deal because he was a famous and famously likable man who was accused of brutally murdering two people and then went on a very public low-speed chase while his friend was on the phone with the media and he was heavily implying he was going to kill himself. It was a huge spectacle well before the trial.

But yes, the name OJ really overtly ties into the idea of spectacle and how it profanes us all

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We know Peele's original cut was something like 3 hours long and a lot got trimmed out. I know someone was talking about the cut subplot from Jupe's backstory about Mary Jo having a stalker and that he was the one that would have shot Gordy, and there are those two quick shots of him in the trailer (one of which has him watching footage of a chimp in a tux looking extremely aggressive with the dialog over it saying "don't look, don't look"). Do we know what else got cut out? Was there more about OJ and Em's mother? Anything else really interesting?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm honestly not sure I could handle it again as is, that gordy sequence hosed me up good, but I'm interested in reading in depth about what was shot and cut, and even ideas that got cut prior to shooting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had been guessing that it was aliens show up, scare the ranchers, but turn out to be benevolent but they're being hunted by the government or the klan or something and the heroes have to protect them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Edit:

Yeesh, in addition to mocking the Gordy's Home attack that issue of MAD is also making jokes about the Heaven's Gate cult. Plays well into the whole "horrific tragedy turned into cheap entertainment" theme of the film.

Of course there's a smashed camera on the left there, and the scattered film and balloon around it looks like fur.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xealot posted:

Yes, exactly.

Jupe is interesting, because he's essentially a Ke Huy Quan type, but if he willfully ignored how the system exploited him and then abandoned him. He was an Asian child actor who saw himself as some leading man, but who was actually just as much a novelty and a curiosity as Gordy was. I think it's telling that during Gordy's rampage, Jupe was terrified because he felt like he was as much a target as the rest of the cast, but Gordy still saw an equal and a friend. As if Gordy understood Jupe to be as exploited and Othered as he was. Hence the fist-bump.

Now, as an adult, Jupe still refuses to process his trauma over the incident or see his youth for what it really was. Instead, he recreates the cycle of exploitation by attempting to wrangle and tame an un-tameable thing in the pursuit of more spectacle and fame. And like fame, it once again (now literally) chews him up and spits him out.

Nope: Gordy doesn't see Jupe as an equal, he fails to notice him until the balloons have stopped popping and he's calmed down. He even signs something like "where family go" before he looks up and sees Jupe. Saying that they're equals or that Gordy recognizes him as kin or whatever is specifically what Jupe thought and is antithetical to the actual point. They're both being exploited, but Gordy is an animal and is incapable of understanding or agreeing to be exploited and is by his nature unpredictable. Jupe is happy to be exploited if he can get scraps of the spectacle to exploit himself. It's even why he bills himself as Jupiter instead of Ricky.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Xealot posted:

I viewed Jupe as profoundly lacking self-awareness. Like, I don't think he views himself as having been exploited, prefers to maintain the illusion that his TV family was like a real family, that the Gordy incident was some freak accident, that Kid Sheriff is some still-valuable IP that matters and not just a racist relic that tokenized him. The way he speaks about his Gordy museum feels like a desperate attempt to claim ownership over something really horrible that happened to him, to place himself above it all, which I think applies equally to Jupiter's Claim in general.

Maybe he does have some clarity about it deep down, but I saw his behavior as willful self-deception. That he needs to view his career through rose-colored glasses to be functional.

Sure, I'll agree that he might not think of it as his own exploitation but he's a happy participant in the system of corruption and spectacle, and it's because he wants his own little piece of that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It would probably if it hit you in the eyeball edge-on and at an angle to go into your brain.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Speleothing posted:

Just want to point something out real quick so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

The life-changing alien experience that Jupe had six months ago was the same life-changing experience that killed OJ and Em's dad and threw everything into disarray.

I missed a lot of the dialog in the beginning of the movie due to that drunk guy I mentioned earlier, when does he mention 6 months? I thought in the show right before JJ shows up he says 1 month ago he saw it and he'd been feeding it ever since.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I was discussing the timeline with my wife, her memory is Jupiter bought the place 3 years ago and had only been feeding JJ for a few weeks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He refers to The Viewers, plural, he thinks there's either a bunch of them or more likely that it's a ship.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like whatever a nickel's terminal velocity is, it's gonna hit that when falling from cloud-height regardless of whether it's spat-out or dropped.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Speleothing posted:

Imagine, if you will, the difference between dropping a cherry pit from shoulder height, and spitting it out.

After finding some weirdo's calculations and doing some napkin math a nickel's terminal velocity is about 32mph and it hits this after about 35 feet of free fall. If it's falling from so high that JJ was hidden in a cloud it doesn't matter if you shot it out of a cannon or dropped it, air resistance is going to slow it down to 32mph quickly.

Nessus posted:

Presumably the same force that was applied to draw large objects up was also being used to expel them down, rather than just passive discharge. There ya go

I'll buy that.

Either way if it hits edge on that could easily go through your eyeball.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, a threat display.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dr Christmas posted:

I revisited the trailers after hearing talk of stuff from them not being in the movie, and a whole hour of footage from the assembly cut.

A major source of cuts involved the Gordy’s Home flashback. Apparently a pedophile was creeping around the set and he shot Gordy. In the final trailer, you can see a quick shot of what I guess you could call a stereotypical creep walking around the studio backlot calmly while people seem to be running in fear from the carnage on the set.

There's another shot of this guy in the trailer it's a close-up of his glasses as he watches footage presumably from Gordy's home of a chimp in a tux. I think he was supposed to be stalking Mary Jo, who brought a gun to the set that day. Maybe if gordy hadn't flipped there would have been a different spectacle, maybe the noise from the pistol would have set gordy off anyway.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it's "bad" but they are buying in to the spectacle, and the movie's big thesis is about how addiction to spectacle corrupts and defiles us. I hope they sell out early and get out clean so they don't turn into Ricky.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
JJ is not in itself spectacle, they haven't even really confronted the spectacle by the time the movie ends. JJ was spectacular perhaps, but the terrible part is going to be what happens next. JJ was just an animal, next they're going to have to feel with the press, constant public scrutiny, lawsuits from the family of anyone who was killed by JJ and those financially impacted by the deaths, ufo nutjobs showing up every few days, and becoming known only as the people who killed that alien instead of their rightful legacy of being the most prolific Hollywood horse trainers.

Gordy wasn't the spectacle, the spectacle was being the survivor of The Gordy's Home Incident, and becoming obsessed with chasing that fame and attention was what defiled Ricky - it's why we're all calling him Jupe or Jupiter instead of his name.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, if OJ , or someone with his integrity and professionalism, had been working with Gordy, the rampage never would have happened.

That's only if people had listened to him. He didn't get fired from the commercial because he didn't know what he was doing, he was fired because the crew didn't listen to him. Maybe that's partly his fault for not speaking up and making sure he was heard and followed, I'm not going to wade into that.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 8, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess the way I'm using it is like Bruce isn't the spectacle, the spectacle is Amity going crazy and shark hunters lining up, the kid with the fake fin and he snorkel scaring people, that's the spectacle. If Amity decided to hold an annual Shark Days event, that would be the spectacle and maybe it could increase tourism but where would it leave Mrs. Kintner?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Who's going to get that few million though? I mean I hope it's them but we have kind of a history in this country of things not being fair to certain people.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wouldn't necessarily call it a pyrrhic victory, but it kind of has that vibe of "we got what we wanted I guess, but did we really win?" It's not exactly a downer ending like it would be if they lost or died, but it seemed to have a sense of being slightly ominous or a kind of anxiety.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's an interesting connection!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

It’s set now. They actually got permission to film in it and they basically restocked the store just for filming. But it’s dead now I think

I think the intention was just "it's set contemporaneously" but my understanding is they filmed in the Fry's just before it went under.

War and Pieces posted:

explains why nobody in the crowd is filming

If you mean at Jupe's show they said explicitly no phones, probably would throw them out if they saw one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lastdancer posted:

the time she was mauled by a lion on set:

In a film written by the man who would go on to write and direct such classics as Mac and Me and Tammy and the T-rex.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

I was under the impression that Michael Wincott was the one who was handling the gun when Brandon Lee was shot on the set of the Crow, which made me wonder if Peele brought him on as a specific reference to safety on a film set, but it was Michael Massee who was the unfortunate person involved in the Brandon Lee tragedy.

Yeah, Wincott wasn't in that scene, might not have been there that day even. It was the scene where the gang ambushed Eric and Shelly at the apartment, which is why the version in the final product is shot entirely in first-person. That might have been on Peele's mind during casting, however.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Timeless Appeal posted:

-- I think I have a different read on Jupe then a lot of other folks do. I keep seeing this idea of Jupe having some level of hubris that he tamed the beast, but based on the flashback, I'm not sure I really see it that way. What Jupe remembers mostly is him helplessly hiding while his first crush is savagely beaten and mauled by a chimp, his co-star trying to somewhat heroically save her only for the ape to attack him, and then to submissively fist bump the ape before it gets its brains blown out. The idea that Jupe is trying to tame JJ because he tamed the ape doesn't really make sense to me because Jupe doesn't even know what JJ is. Genuinely, I don't think he thinks that he's feeding the horses to it.

Good points throughout, but I agree with this paragraph. He doesn't think of JJ as an animal, he explicitly refers to "them" as viewers. He puts intelligence and consciousness on it, but he probably did the same with Gordy instead of treating either as a wild animal with somewhat predictable routines. I don't think he thought of either as "tamed" so much as him having a connection with both of them.

JJ making GBS threads blood and detritus all over the house is basically the same as Gordy tearing Mary Joe's lips off, it's a dominance display and even highlights the connection by dropping the scooter prominently on their roof and having Holst draw attention to it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Communion is real bad, but that one shot is real good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
JJ is pretty flimsy, I could see it having predators that are just like small birds that can peck its flesh away and it probably wouldn't take much of that to kill it, then a whole flock could have a ton to eat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Denim doesn't get measured in terms of thread count.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Arrested Development did that a few times.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It also showered them in filth, literally, the filth of Ricky's Star Lasso Spectacle Experience Of Death.

edit someone already brought up Michael Wincott and The Crow with this right? Not only the way lack of safety protocols and good old fashioned Hollywood shittiness destroys us, but literally that it was being filmed for a DTV release and only after Brandon Lee's death did the Weinsteins buy it up, force actors back onto the set (including Michael Massee, recreating the scene where he accidentally shot a man to death) and finished the movie for a theatrical release because of the spectacle of a dead star

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 27, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's much of an rear end in a top hat as any other predator, including humans.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, agreed. He just really wants to promote it and he wants everyone there. He invited Mary Jo too.

The kids breaking into the ranch at night to gently caress with OJ, that was revenge for stealing the horse statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I assume the Gordy's Home stuff was either the entire impetus of the movie or he was developing a story around that and a UFO story at the same time and realized they were both hitting the same themes and messages and combined them.