Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had bedbugs once and it was still the worst thing I've ever been through. In part because of extremely strict bed bug laws and an absentee landlord, but also just because it loving sucks. It's illegal here to attempt to self-treat bedbugs in a rental property because it's highly likely that you will miss some and if you miss even one or two, they will lie dormant for 1-2 years before re-emerging and infesting the next tenant (or you in your new apartment, if they were in your furniture), also because things like DE cause them to scatter and run, often driving them out of your apartment into your neighbors' and spreading the infestation. I will never buy used furniture again (upholstered or not) because it's not worth the risk and I will immediately walk out of someone's home if they say they self-treated bedbugs.

The only two appropriate ways to treat them are a poison treatment or a heat treatment. The heat treatment is the easier/faster/safer of the two and requires heating the entire room until literally every surface (including the cracks and crevasses) is at least 113 degrees and keeping it at that temperature for at least 90 minutes. It could ruin some of your things but it's the nuclear option which, in the case of bed bugs, should be your first option, because once it's done it's done, if it's done correctly there's no possibility that any survived. The other option involves sorting everything you own into giant sealed ziploc bags, then having the room fumigated and letting it sit for a while before going back in and carefully picking your things out of the bags while examining them for bedbugs.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Also if you ever start to freak out because of bug bites and think you might have bed bugs, the tell-tale sign is that they will bite you in several places along a straight line, because they bite, take a few steps, bite again, etc. until they find the good place to suck blood from. You then have like a week to get rid of them before you're covered head-to-toe

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I feel the same way about cat videos. So many "cute" cat videos are just people tormenting their cats and everyone laughing at their reactions. "Look at this funny way she cries when I pick her up and hold her upside-down by her feet lol!"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The other era of SomethingAwful nerd rap was way better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I once started at a small and cool startup that had offered fully-paid sabbaticals and vested options after 5 years. They were acquired by a larger company exactly 4 years and 9 months later. The first thing the owners did was promise they would not get rid of the sabbaticals or vested options, but they got rid of them after the first employee hit 5 years.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I meant that as in the options were unvested, then became vested after 5 years, yeah. And I did quit shortly after that :cool:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 14, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I live in a recreational weed state and the commercial weed industry out here is almost entirely conservative frat bros starting businesses with dad's money

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This bothers me because there is very clearly one that is silver with black plastic near the door. The rest have silver or white plastic or are not near the door.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

On my screen there are two immediately adjacent to the door that fit this criteria, and then like five more in a line leading away from one of those. One of us has a bad screen I suspect

One of the two adjacent to the door is clearly black with silver plastic, not silver with black plastic, and since it's "near the door" we can rule out the ones that are further from the door :colbert: I am fluent in customer support speak.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There are also a lot of older people who absolutely refuse to watch anything animated but they'll jump on a chance to watch a worse live-action remake of a beloved animation

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

How about a cursed video to go with that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKd0So_d4GA

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah that's gotta be some stale rear end-air just sitting around in those pipes, especially ones in a hotel...

Do you dare to enter The Sting Zone ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HyHZsa79LU

One day after all the ideas have been used up, viral content creators will be ranking which sharks are most painful to get fingers bit off by

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It also gives them plausible deniability if caught because they can just pretend they didn't know how the machine works

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

otoh it becomes predictable, like how Target won't do anything about shoplifting until they have evidence of you stealing enough to make it a felony. In my state that happens at $1,000 which means you are totally in the free and clear to steal up to $999 worth of things from Target.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nowher posted:

Nurses and Doctors peeing into plastic bottles between calls.

Trying to walk a caller through how to take their own temperature with a forehead temperature scanner but they can't figure it out and start yelling and the doctor gets fired.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of some uninterested cyber doc that will just rubber stamp my prescription renewals without me needing to go to a lab twice a year

Just follow John Mulaney's advice and look up the doctors in your area with the worst ratings on Yelp

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

What universe was america ever number one?

back-to-back World War champs

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

What's a good use for an Eames lounge chair?

I used to have a friend who used their Bowflex for this very purpose, those things make great drying lines.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The most hosed up bird is the Woodpecker which in some circumstances will invade other birds' nests, peck the lil birds skulls open and eat their brains (link is a Smithsonian Mag article not a cursed video)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Memories of images you can smell.

Broniclopalypse is right there.

May as well take it to Aclopalypse

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

Presumably the person gets paid to do this, but... why? Why would anyone spend money to make the person do that? Why?

WHY?!

Tiktok has scary algorithms that aim to replicate The Entertainment from Infinite Jest

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sex is cool but celebrating this kind of public tiktok horniness is even weirder than conservative repression

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 13, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So what you're saying is eliminating conservative issues with sexuality would cure horny.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: wow I posted in the wrong thread

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It has a non-zero chance of working and it costs nothing except your pride

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

buglord posted:

Hey so can we go back to this because it really raises questions from me

It's the exact same concept as fig newtons

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Doctor Bishop posted:

Eagerly awaiting your cameo in "Country Dragons Make Do" no doubt

Cobs & Rubbers

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

McGavin posted:

Massage Legend Dick Butt

Dick A. Butt*

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These ant death spirals kill entire ant colonies because they will march forward doing their job forever until they die, never realizing that they're getting anywhere at all.

Phew, I sure am glad Humanity isn't like that!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Vermont and Utah into gasmasks? Is Vermont a Liberal state? Cause them and Maryland being in to the same thing as Conservative Utah and Idaho...... This could bring the country together.

I guarantee you those people are not in to the kind of gas mask you're thinking of

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They're using masks to keep the gas in, not out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

There's talk going around about how it's designed to get you to give your voice/appearance in a way that can be used by scammers running AI programs to impersonate you.

I know for a fact that some job postings on Ziprecruiter are just data harvesting for scam contacts, I applied for a bunch of things one day with my full name instead of the shortened version I use and the very next day I was inundated with scam texts referencing my full name (middle initial and everything)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 30, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Should have bought the yogurt with nuts instead

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Social media cat vids are almost all cursed. "I'm harassing my cat, look how cute it is when it's uncomfortable. Isn't it adorable that it loves me enough to put up with this poo poo?"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This video taught me how to draw excellent hands in only 20mins :hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBMQ-H-qUVk

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tobermory posted:

Well, someone had to do it:

forgot the ring

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The cursed part is that they never made the movie about the toad skateboarder who says radical dude things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Starbucks' entire early business model was importing the cheapest, shittiest coffee they could and plastering messaging all over the place about how actually this is extremely good coffee and if you don't agree, you don't know anything about coffee. Like, they were intentionally buying bottom-of-the-barrel reject coffee beans that no one else wanted because of how bitter and gross they were. That way, people who got used to drinking Starbucks would declare actual good coffee as "gross" because it's not what they're used to.

Also known as the Apple strategy: Make your computer products intentionally obtuse as gently caress and go against everything about industry standard design, then talk it up like you're making things "easier" and if you used the competitors, boy you'd be overwhelmed by everything! That way people who get started on Apple computers will always think PCs are too difficult and complicated!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 29, 2023