Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

norp posted:

Expiration dates on diet soda is definitely not a suggestion.

The sweeteners break down pretty quickly. I've found that you get maybe a month or so past that date before it's completely gone in Pepsi Max but even before that date the sweetener seems to start fading quite a bit.
This isn't so much of a problem with sugar (sucrose not that HFCS bullshit you seppos drink) sweetened drinks

Found this while cleaning out my mom's basement.

It...did not taste good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zipperelli. posted:

YOU can't, but the Red Cross drat sure sells that donated blood to hospitals for on average, $250/unit, which the hospital turns around and transfuses for *thousands*

The RC even refuses to accept blood from people with hemochromatosis. This blood is perfectly safe for transfusions, but since people with that condition have to have regular phlebotomies as treatment for it, the Red Cross figures that if they were to just draw that blood for free, it would be tantamount to paying those people and therefore won't do it.

Yes, this makes no sense.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I've got a V8 interceptor, a cattle dog, and an autogyro. I'm set.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Southern California wants to be western New York.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

codo27 posted:

You bet your sweet asses I'm gonna be trying popeyes, too. Its very cursed in itself that my wife is a world class cook and enjoys quality food and my favorites are all literal trash food (though in truth she doesn't mind a lot of it either)

Honestly if you're going to a place that has Royal Farms, that's about the best chain chicken you're gonna get. Plenty of gas stations in the south with great fried chicken (and/or fried porkchops, goddamn I miss this one place in Lynchburg), but Royal Farms is way better than Popeyes, KFC, Church's, etc.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I figured Quentin Tarantino would drive a nicer car.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GABA ghoul posted:

I wasn't talking about prepackaged stuff either. Raw meat from US industrial meat production is generally not safe to eat. When you buy the cuts, they could already be contaminated with salmonella, trichinella, etc. You need to heat it to a minimum temperature to make it safe.

This is insane. It doesn't bear the faintest resemblance to reality. Trichinosis, for example, simply does not exist in US industrial meat production. There are maybe a dozen cases a year in the entire United States and they all come from eating game, typically feral pigs or bear, not from industrial pork.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

butt dickus posted:

ground meat needs to be cooked all the way through to be safe.

Ground beef that's ground at a packing plant from scraps? Sure

Beef that's ground from cuts by yourself or your butcher? Good ground beef in other words?

GABA ghoul posted:

Before indulging your compulsion to always be condescendingly contrarian(and usually wrong) about every loving thing in existence, have you considered that people now almost universally cook pork properly and that that might be one of the reasons trichinosis cases have been declining? That these numbers do not reflect the risk when consuming it raw?

The CDC dropped the recommended temperature for pork from 160 to 145 specifically because trichinella does not exist in the food supply. It only exists in the wild. Which is why the incredibly few cases of it come from wild game.

quote:

I seriously don't care about this stupid derail. Take it up with the CDC. They warn about eating raw meat and call it dangerous.

The same CDC who tells you that you need to do that also tells you that if you're older than 50 and you eat sliced cured meats you need to heat them to 165F first because of listeria. Does literally anyone in the entire world do that to their prosciutto or their hoagies? No, and it's *really safe* to not do so.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

butt dickus posted:

what does it matter who does the grinding?

Because in a meat packing plant you're talking about scraps from hundreds of different cows being turned into a batch of ground beef that gets portioned out and wrapped up, any contamination in *any* of that will spread through all the meat in the batch. If you buy a piece of chuck to make burgers out of, the odds of that piece of beef being contaminated are a lot lower than the chance that none of the scraps that wound up in your pound of ground beef from the plant were.

Ideally we'd just irradiate the stuff and make it safe but nobody wants to buy anything marked "Irradiated for your safety!" so it's not typically done.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nice, a Toynbeef tile.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

vudan posted:

I thought this was awful initially. But maybe the paralyzed person wants to work? Might be a way of interacting with others and feeling part of society.

Next up: Drone operators.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Linux Pirate posted:

Nothing will stop Floridians from being the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Reporters are gonna at least give them a run for their money.

https://twitter.com/Baseball8264802/status/1575205374864420864?s=20&t=vDqC3Dsffs5OGKuk24X6Yg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Yaldabaoth posted:

So basically men can just stick their dick in whatever woman they want? No wonder Jesus looks like this:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Her real first name was Cathy but I'd rather just forget it
So I'll call her the First Mrs Jones

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Holy poo poo this isn't only real it's in Tablet.

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/community/articles/pit-bulls-jews-of-the-canine-world

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PainterofCrap posted:

We called 'em sand crabs; when we were kids, we'd dig them up on the beach, near the tide-line, all the time. They don't bite & can't pinch.

No idea why someone would collect a boxful of them, though

Because they're tasty. People cook them and eat them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Haverchuck posted:

I watched a guy cook and eat some on youtube and remember him being pretty unimpressed, do you mean people eat them the way some people eat cicadas, like they're technically edible but why

They're street food in a number of countries. I don't see them as being much different than shrimp except they burrow instead of swim. I've heard them described as similar to softshell crab poppers.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Inceltown posted:

Andrew Ucles is blessed. Like a crazy Steve Irwin.

ITYM "crazier."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grocery stores do that here, because the state won't let them sell alcohol to-go unless they also serve it for consumption on the premises. So you'll go into a lovely Acme and there's this little sad area with tables and chairs just to provide the theoretic possibility that someone might want to head on down to the grocery store for a beer or glass of wine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that PA? I heard it had weird poo poo like that

It most certainly does. It's not as dumb as it used to be but it's still pretty loving dumb.

This was my favorite: Back before the LCB was dragged kicking and screaming into allowing alcohol sales in grocery stores (still not liquor, just wine and beer), they had this brilliant idea to allow wine vending machines. So they contracted with a company to build 100 of them for a pilot program (under an arrangement where the company would provide the machines for free and just take a cut of the proceeds) and some stores actually installed them.

So get this. It's a vending machine's worth of selection, so not big. Then to actually buy a bottle, you had to swipe your ID. Then you had to blow into a Breathalyzer, because they didn't want to sell wine to people who were already drunk. Then, and I am not making this part up, you had to show your ID and your face to a camera so that an LCB employee in Harrisburg could verify it was you buying the wine.

Obviously this failed hard and the program was ended after only 32 were installed (11 of which had broken down). Then just as obviously the state and the machine manufacturer sued each other over who owed who what.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

Having 55 gallon drum of lube around to show off my gag lamp.

Looks more like a gagging lamp.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mods change my name to Garth Studelfudd.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stoatbringer posted:

How can you put a price on your family safety? :ohdear:

Just watch me.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kit Walker posted:

Man it's still so hosed up that so many retailers in the US require their clerks to stand all day. There's literally no reason for it besides spite. Clerks out here in Europe get to sit and they scan items faster than god so it's definitely not a matter of efficiency

Sitting all day is terrible for you. It’s not as bad as smoking but it’s pretty goddamned bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AlmightyBob posted:

Years and years ago I got the DVD at a garage sale having never heard of the movie, but it's got Dan Aykroyd, John Candy, Demi Moore, and Chevy Chase? worth a shot

When Tupac showed up i about lost it lol

That song slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmFDyZ3ytg8

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Got this in the mail today. I already paid the ticket but that doesn’t doesn’t come anywhere near to the top of the list of the problems I have with this.