Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Ror posted:

I do the pullover move at Costco and lots of regular grocery stores too. I'll find a spot in a corner or at a big endcap where it's not blocking the product and just leave the cart there and go solo through the aisles then come back to base with my loot. Then I'll relocate to another zone.

I usually shop at Costco #2 in NE Portland, it's so cramped that there's no spot to pull this besides the towels aisle

Now, the huge one out in Hillsboro? It's like the aisles are paved with gold. You don't even need to worry about crowding anyone, it's pure luxury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Jingleheimer posted:

If you think it's bad when people are clueless and block the aisles, I can tell you from experience that it is significantly more infuriating when that happens, but instead of trying to get by with a cart, you're driving a forklift with flashing lights and loud beeping and an even louder horn and when you honk the horn at people they still don't pay attention or even look up to see what the angry honking noise is. If I have to drop something out of the produce cooler on a busy Saturday or Sunday it instantly ruins my day if it wasn't already ruined.

Look just because you were able to grab one of the forklifts doesn't make you better than us regular cart shoppers. The ONE TIME I managed to get to church when a forklift was free someone managed to snatch it right in front of me

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

FPzero posted:

At church, chowing down on a pizza slice and stocking up on a few things before a tropical storm hits my area this weekend.

How many people did you see with the whole-house generator on a flatbed

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Side question - our Winnix air purifier died 3 months out of warranty how much of a psycho do I have to be to return it? I'll immediately turn around and buy the Danby hepa same day from costco

that's exactly what I would do, honestly

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

bird with big dick posted:

The best thing you can have in the post apocalyptic hell scape is not a gold bar it’s a double pack of 500 Kirkland brand ibuprofen

read this while popping a pair of Kirkland brand ibuprofen

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

you don't have to get tires for the chicken bake service, but it's first come first served if you don't have a tire appointment

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I've observed Costco's that aren't close to a business center often have some restaurant style items for sale that aren't available at ones near a business center. Stuff like tri fold towels, styrofoam to go boxes, and plain boxes of plastic ware.

Nearest business center is 150 miles from me. Never seen anything like that in any of the Portland area churches, even the incredibly huge one in Hillsboro. Lots of other restaurant supply stores, though - I wonder if that's more the deciding factor.
Every time I see a tiktok or whatever of what you can find there, people are always talking about the basic commercial kitchen items like mixing bowls and tongs. I love getting that stuff at restaurant supply places, but it would have to be an incredible deal for me to make a special trip to a different Costco to get some. Especially without a hot dog at the end.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Yah you're making a good call here. I've been once, just to get a mental note of what is inside in case I need something especially. I might go back for a refresher though, and get candy or alternatives for Halloween. Hey kids, do you like soy sauce packets?

What I definitely thought was next time I have a huuuuuge BBQ at my house that's where I'll stock up first.

I figure I'll end up at one someday, but it'll be when I have a basement and a beverage fridge. I would 100% like to stock up on a hoarder amount of fun beverages.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

That's probably mostly true but there is a Costco south of Seattle that is basically a normal costco and a business center crammed together so you'll find clothing, and electronics but also 5 gallons of peanut butter and whole frozen goats.

Is this the Fife one? It's the nearest business center to me, so now I'm really looking forward to it

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Psion posted:

just go to both in the same trip, lease one of the cars they keep out front to hold all the stuff you buy. It's easy.

if I remember right from the last time I went, business costco had even bigger jars of jongga, if that's your thing

perhaps they have the mythical 3 G jonggga

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Found this again by googling "reddit cringe chili"

are you not plugging your PSP into old computer speakers??
You're. loving. Up. :smugndar:

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Just stopped in to church about my hearing aids being a little on the fritz - they cleaned em up and stayed wonky, so they're shipping off to the manufacturer. 30 minutes beginning to end (and a rotisserie chicken and pumpkin pie, on the side)

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

For air fryer chat I got the Ninja countertop oven-style air fryer for christmas a few years ago. It's great. Use it all the time for all sorts of stuff, and I'm a big fan of it being multifunctional and not heating up my (window AC only) apartment during the summer.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

ayo im thinking of feeding a bunch of people smores

does regular costco have skewer sticks and blowtorches? Or do i gotta go to Business Center

Blowtorches perhaps, I'd be stunned about skewer sticks though. Honestly if you ask at the meat counter they might hook you up with some of the ones they use for kabobs?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks! I'm just one person with a small place, but I finally realized how much cheaper gas is so it's worth it just for that (75 cents/gal lower currently for premium)

my plan is to mainly get toiletries and home goods but nothing too much so I have space for it. laundry detergent, dish soap, dishwasher pacs, bath tissue (though I don't use this often as I have a bidet)

but my sonicare just died so I hope I can get just one!

Also I know about the hot dog deal, but I'm a vegetarian. Do they offer vegetarian options?

Cheese pizza and smoothies are all you got for that.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

costco story: first time i was in one, it was the one in Portland OR (might be the first costco? not sure). We asked where the beer and wine was, this guy said "over there we have beer and wine, urns and caskets"

my friend said "did he say urns and caskets?"

i could not stop laughing the whole time i was in the store. i was in tears

First Costco was in Seattle/Kirkland area, but the one on NE 138th Ave in Portland was #2. Specifically, according to the receipt it's #0002.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

bizwank posted:

Store #1 is in South Seattle and you'd think they'd do something special with it for being the first store but nope, we got the same no-combo slice food court as everybody else.

I'm also just one person in a small apartment and still get plenty of value out of my Costco membership, even without buying gas (which I really should start doing though). If you have Instacart in your area that will often give you a more accurate picture of what's available in-warehouse than the official Costco app/website.

Is #1 as weirdly small as #2 is? It's clear that they built that store when warehouse stores were still new. I can easily handle going to that one when it's just restocking on pumpkin pie and hearing aid batteries, but if I want to do more than just powering through I like to stroll through the HUGE one out in the suburbs.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

bizwank posted:

#1 was rebuilt in 2005 and is now 158k square feet; I don't know how that compares to other locations but it feels anything but small.

I measured on Google maps instead of working and it turns out it's around 140k sqft. Some googling indicates it's the highest volume store in the NW though, and consistently one of the top five nationally for sales. Maybe that's why it feels so cramped. Definitely draws a LOT of traffic from Washington state for the lack of sales tax.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Can confirm #2 has onions, eating a hot dog with them now

can #1.1 say the same?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

This reminds me of my HS history teachers it wasn’t holy it wasn’t Roman and it wasn’t an empire RIP mr Schroeder i assume you’re dead because you were pretty loving old even back then

Was your history teacher Voltaire?

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

joined costco this weekend! got laundry and dish detergent, rinse aid, bath tissue, good deals (though I'm never going on a weekday afternoon again)

also i did executive membership because the guy said that if you don't get at least a $60 rebate to make up the difference, they write you a check for that amount (?) cool

idk if it's literally a check but they absolutely make good about that difference, yeah.
You'll never find a time that is reliably not busy. I've gotten lucky a couple of times, like Sunday at opening, but that's about it

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

a hot dog and slice

so you don't cook

ask them to put a slice in the hot dog warmer for you, that's oughta keep you sated

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The Costco parking lots are hampered by the quick turnover, combined with the general obsession with finding THE CLOSEST spot. I don't know why, but I do it too when I'm there. Every other grocery store, I just pick the first acceptable spot. Basically the amount of cars in each aisle is overwhelming when it'd be better if everyone just parked.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Anyone have a gauge on $/lb of a Kirkland frozen turkey? There's a million turkey deals out there and I'm looking at getting at least two this year. One to eat for the holiday, and one to have for cheap poultry.
Do they have anything besides whole birds, also? I always lament that I can't get chicken quarters there, but I'm hopeful for turkey legs or breasts on bone.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I stopped in to resupply on croissants, work candy, and gas, so I scoped out the turkey situation.
All fresh, no frozen options. $.99/lb for name brand non-organic. I can't remember what the organic brand was, but it was $3.49/lb.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

I’m a Costco newcomer and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. At least half the things on my list were more expensive at Costco than at Wegmans, and the stuff I normally buy is fine quality and isn’t even the cheapest at Wegmans. I did buy some things at Costco that will last me a year but the savings weren’t really that steep. I could make a huge effort post with price comparisons but I don’t think anyone here wants to read that.

I was mostly shopping for pantry staples, paper products and toiletries. I don’t eat meat, dairy, soda/sports/energy drinks, or pre-prepared/snack foods. Is that where the savings are?

The savings can be a little weird, or small margins. Where costco wins for me is the things where I save at least a moderate amount, and the fact that the one or two options they have is higher quality than a similarly priced item elsewhere. The Kirkland 6-pack of chicken broth is the best broth I've ever gotten in a box, and is competitively priced with Kroger for store brands. The bakery items also always get me - I eat croissant sandwiches for breakfast as often as I can manage, and pumpkin pie season sends me into a frenzy - the huge pie is just $6.

The other thing is that the prices are reliable. It's a big burden off my grocery budgeting to know how much the good eggs are gonna be, or that the rice is calrose and as good of a price as I could hope to find elsewhere. Throw in a hot dog afterwards, a tank of gas at, again, as good a price as I'll find, and I've come out ahead, mentally and probably financially.

On top of all of this, I've worn hearing aids since my early 20s and paying for batteries anywhere else is for chumps. It's like $9 for 64 batteries at the 'co, and I've paid as much as $12 for 8 batteries anywhere else. One single pack alone pays off my membership.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know if it's even possible to bring in cash money, but if you are literally only going in for the food court, and they take cash, bring in your membership card and :10bux:

Physically limiting yourself to the cash you have on hand may not stop you from all impulse purchases, but you will only walk out with what $10 will get you, and in Costco, that's maybe 1 thing most of the time.

At the registers this past weekend, the three carts ahead of me all paid cash. I was stunned.
Couldn't tell you about the food counter, though.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

hell, there's one local grocery chain here that's employee owned and regularly beats Costco prices per ounce/lb.

Is this WinCo? I loving love WinCo.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Pumpkin pies any good?

For $6 for a huge pie, I think they're definitely worth it. I wouldn't bring them to a thanksgiving thing, but I love having a slice of pie with my lunch at work and at $0.75/slice that's a great deal

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Ayndin posted:

Went to church for a Covid booster, also picked up some jerky and broccoli and was tempted into pretzel crisps because they were on sale.

There was discussion of pie for the holiday between my family so I took a look at them while I was there. Has the pecan pie always been way more expensive than the pumpkin/apple? It was like $17 and the pumpkin was like $6 or $8 or something and I think the apple was $9? Probably moot since we want a variety and the church pies are way too big to get one of each.

That much for that size of pecan pie makes sense to me, pecans are expensive and when I make the pie at home it's always spendy. Apple and pecan are two pies I could never bring myself to buy, apple pies with a store bought crust are a breeze and so, so tasty. Pecan pie I use a family recipe for and it's simply too precious to me.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Zadok Allen posted:

Just bought a big bag of organic basmati white rice for $25 that will easily last me almost 2 years. Tiny bags of organic white rice are 5-8 dollars each at Safeway and Whole Foods

thanks Costco

Make sure to store it good and sealed

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I don't think costco sells a big enough bag of rice we couldn't go through in a year.

Cooking just for myself and occasionally for my partner, I've gone through a 20lb bag in the last 2 and a half months

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The merino socks could stand to have a higher percentage, but the 20's are the decade of shrinkflation and enshittification, so I'll take a $15 four pack of extremely decent socks while I can.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I'm at the court rn waiting for my pizza and my cookie

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Incremus posted:

A slice of Costco cheese pizza from several miles away and out of the oven for easily over 90 minutes: still pretty drat good

I've had long days of driving through nowhere places, and bought a costco pizza as early as I could to just have on the passenger seat the whole time.

It works, it's cheap, and you don't have to poop because you ate a kilo of cheese

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

this is just an AI clickbait, there's truly nothing useful here

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

stolen from reddit

Honestly I'm fine with this if it means that my chicken won't leak when it's tipped slightly during the drive home

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Selling fried chicken at US Costcos would increase the heart disease prevalence of Americans by a non-trivial level. Some things shouldn’t be allowed for public health reasons imo.

Depending on how good it is, I'd be checking real estate listings as close to church as I could manage.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

RoastBeef posted:

I'm at the Costco parking lot. I'm at the Trader Joe's parking lot. I'm at the combination Costco-Trader Joe's parking lot

Where is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Looks like the corner of Main St. and Foothill Rd.

no joke, googling this got me the result: Bridgewater, NJ