Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I bought a jar of the Jongga (the one with two g’s) like eight months ago and only opened it for the first time recently. I think it went flat? Was pretty tame overall. Still real nice to add to eggs or stirfry though.

Unfortunate that the Premier Protein has gone up, the convenience factor over powder is enough that I’ll get it anyway but my Scrooge rear end is sad at it. Are any of the flavors other than chocolate decent? That tastes mostly like a Yoohoo, which is fine. I’d also tried the strawberries and cream one and they’re so bad, like if industrial dairy waste got a fake strawberry infusion. I’m not a fan of coffee so I assume I’ll hate the au lait one too, but maybe vanilla/caramel are all right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Made my six? eight? month old half-full jar of jongga (2gs, etc) into some kimchi jjigae (jjiggae?) this past weekend, first time I’d had it and it’s probably going into regular cooking rotation. Easy, cheap, and tasty as heck.

I like getting pork belly at the ‘co as it has a billion uses so having piles of it is great, but the one near me loves to hide a bunch of oxidized pieces under a layer of fresh-looking cuts so I’m leery about it. I’ll probably do it anyway once I clear up some freezer space, I’m holding a turkey for my aunt so that’s a quarter of my dumb, shelfless freezer.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Good to hear the omeprazole talk, I’ve been on it the last few months due to a lot of acid following bariatric surgery. Fairly common, and it’s getting better; every third box I try ramping down and this time I only start having discomfort the last evening of a pill-every-three-days cycle.

Going to be heading to the ‘co tomorrow, but probably not going to pick up anything outside of the 5-6 staples I need. I just can’t food like I used to. Unless any of the dry rubs they carry are particularly good? I’ve got a pork shoulder that will eventually get pulled, but figured I’d make the rub myself.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Went to church today on the way home as I suspect I’ll be working from home the rest of the week and needed a few things. Got those and also picked up a bag of the Archer mini beef sticks because they were on sale and I wanted something snacky. They’re not bad, though I’d have liked a spicier flavor. Two of those and a light string cheese make for 14g protein in 150 calories so that’s a nice fast snack for when I need it.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

ShowTime posted:

I mean, you can't have a sandwich without bread.

This is Double Down erasure.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Winix air purifier? My only concern is that the best place to put it from a ‘in the middle of the living space’ perspective is on a sort of small ledge my cats like to hop on, and I worry I’ll come home to it knocked off the ledge if they think they can still fit onto it.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I was worried about the organic frozen strawberry recall but looking at the FDA page it looks like nothing involved is from my state. Seems like mostly CA/HI.

Lately I have been having some bouts of gale force farts, and while with the current state of my GI system it could be literally anything, I suspect it might be the Simply Protein soy protein keto bars that are on sale? Doing some process of elimination to try and figure out the culprit. It’ll be unfortunate if they are, they’ve got good protein/calories and taste okay making them a good ‘I am too lazy for a proper meal’ option.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Do they have fake sugar in them to keep the sugar/carbs down? That would do it for a lot of people.

The nutrition breakdown says there’s some sugar alcohols but the ingredients don’t say which. Could be it. I was glad there was no erythritol with the recent news, but the choice may be heart or fart.

Could also be the fiber, but due to said GI issues I try to eat tons of fiber in my weird diet so 25% RDA would be less of a huge jump than for most.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

pencilhands posted:

friend, have you eaten any chicken bakes lately

I haven’t had many in the last like 10 years or so, this is a blessing in disguise as I mostly remember them as good as opposed to the pale bready imitation that we get now.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Certain posters will be pleased to hear that the kimchi (the one with two ‘g’s) was also a possible culprit, but was cleared of all suspicion after two days of having kimchi jjigae with no abnormal results.

Additional praise to Jongga for being the only brand in the asian market I went to that makes rice cakes for tteokbokki in 1lb packages. 2 lbs makes way too large a batch!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I took a look, it is listed in the ingredient statement; glycerin is a sugar alcohol, aka glycerol.

Also that much fiber in a small amount of food can definitely cause gas, especially since it's from inulin. Inulin is fermented in the gut.

Good job me not recognizing what glycerin is.

After some more testing I think my final verdict on the bars is that they make me fart more but were not the actual culprits in my hurricanal incidents. So I might pick up more anyway, what’s some extra gas for good nutrition?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Went yesterday, realized the Winix purifiers handled less volume than I thought so ended up getting two. Also got plenty of the simply protein bars while they’re $6 off so there will be much farting in my future, to test the purifiers.

I don’t do so well with a lot of snack stuff nowadays but chicharrons are usually fine, so when I saw they had Tajin flavor ones I knew I had to give it a shot. Pretty decent but a lot of them are either intensely salty or salty enough that the lime/acid flavoring makes them seem too salty. Still gonna finish the bag way faster than I should though.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

oh god I didn’t expect to start a holy war on air purifiers. I’ll stick with the Winix as I do not trust my weirdo cats with box fans.

I also picked up some of the Kirkland salsa which is apparently in glass jars and not plastic now? It’s been a few years since I’ve bought it and it tasted way worse than I remember, like it needed salt or something. Not inedible, especially in weird huevos rancheros, but probably not a rebuy.

The Simply Protein bars have pretty decent numbers - 15g protein for 150 cal, plus lots of fiber - and taste decent, kinda like rice krispie treats. Worth the farts, even more so when like 35% off.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Just two. I figured the living room and my office/foyer can share one as I don’t actually hang out in the living room that much nowadays.

i checked in case there was some chance it could be held by a 401k or something but they’re traded on KASDAQ so I’m going to say probably not

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

FPzero posted:

Also I dunno if your stores are demoing them but there were some Tajin-sprinkled Chicharrones available that were excellent. I'd recommend them.

If these were the 3501 (or whatever, some number sequence) I found them good but on the salty side, though I admit I’ve become kind of sensitive to that in the last few months. Didn’t stop me from destroying the bag faster than I should.

The quality of the Jongga kimchi got me to try them for other stuff, specifically some rice cakes for tteokbokki. They’re good, but huge; I’d have preferred more, smaller ones. Still worth it, and came in 500g packets which is just about the right size to make a reasonable-sized batch.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

My nearby Costco apparently just started stocking Kewpie mayo. What’s next, 5lb tubs of gochujang?

Outshine bars were on sale, too, and they ditched the garbage-rear end mango flavor for lime this year. I approve.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I have been making kimchi jjiggae with it and it’s pretty good, I have become a real big fan of soups/stews though. Good use case for the tofu 4pack that’s probably right next to it, too.

Trip report on 4505 chicharrones: I’m not allowed to buy them any more, I go through the bag too fast. Bizarrely, even on sale they’re more expensive than the generic brand ones at Aldi’s, though I imagine they’re better quality. From like, swank rear end pig hide and not 30-50 feral pigskins.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

gently caress you, I tried these and they're basically just flavored with citric acid and lighter fluid. It wasn't just me, everyone who tried some was taken aback. I like other BBQ or Hot flavored pork rinds just fine. I was expecting these to at least taste like Takis but they were beyond caustic.

Yeah, there’s some of that. I think it’s the concentrated tajin? By the end I kind of liked it, got some sort of pork rind Stockholm syndrome going on I guess.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Maybe also pick up a flask of liquid nitrogen and a vitamix blender so you can have a slice of gin and a bottle of pizza?

I’ll be hitting up Costco after work myself, need more Greek yogurt and frozen strawberries for breakfast. Team Fage forever, the Kirkland brand is cheaper but the Fage has a way better texture and it’s worth the difference imo.

I’d also like to pick up some block Monterey Jack for various species of taco but I think that’s like the one common cheese my place doesn’t carry for some reason. Fortunately there’s an Aldi’s upstairs that I’ll need to stop in anyway for onions so I can get some there.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Cookies and cream chocolate bark is real good.

If my store has this I will be picking it up, I am a sucker for cookies and cream. Expecting a new member of the Not Allowed To Buy This Again club to join the sanders caramels and praline pecans.

I’m pretty sure Costco has some dry rub mix(es) available; anyone know how they are? I am going to do some oven pulled pork and am feeling lazy so I was thinking if they’re decent I’d just get that rather than making my own.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

It took the orange sky NYC hellscape to finally get me to set up my winix air purifiers, but they’re going now.

The only time they went over low was yesterday when I had just enormous farts all day, and they’d angrily go to orange/red after a long bout of gas.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

BJs is inferior but I would occasionally go there off a relative’s card as they sell stick pepperoni pretty cheap. Haven’t done so in a while because the dish I usually make with it (kinda like carbonara, but pepperoni instead of bacon, no egg, and broccoli added in) would probably kill me right now.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Wendigee posted:

Gonna tuck 25 lbs of kimchi in your pants?

‘No sir, that’s just my enormous dongg. With two g’s.’

Went yesterday to get some more yogurt and saw those elote spice-flavored snacks marked down to like half price with a .97 so decided I’d try them. Not sure what I thought they were going to be originally but I’m bad at reading so it wasn’t the pub mix it actually was. Pretty okay for $5 but not the $9 or whatever it was originally.

Doing the every-couple-months big Costco run next weekend, list isn’t actually that long but I know it’s gonna be on the pricy side because I have to restock on protein shakes.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

A common mistake, it’s actually the land of Free Dumb, which is why many of us have so much of it.

My local Costco got in bags of non-frozen pre-grilled chicken strips and I decided to give it a shot, they’re not bad for lazy rear end fajitas. Cheaper to just make the chicken myself, but being able to take a few ounces at a time for whatever weird thing I decide to make for dinner is nice.

In related news I wish we’d get that hatch chili sauce? salsa? I’ve seen posted about here before but I guess that’s not making it up to the northeast, like how we only see bitchin’ sauce maybe one month out of the year.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I picked up a box of the Robert Irvine Fit Crunch bars because while I still have some of the Simply Protein keto bars (and they’re back in stock after being gone for a few months), I’d like to try a few others and see if I can find one that doesn’t turn my colon into a wind tunnel.

These things taste like Nutrageous bars, it’s silly. I should get more while they’re discounted, aside from being a little high in fat they’re mostly what I want from a protein bar. Hopefully the 4-packs of tofu come back soon too, they’ve been missing for like a month.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I’ve been using a sleep number for the last five or so years and it is still providing the same good sleep it did when I first got it. Dunno where people are seeing 10k for them, maybe if you’re getting the highest end king with all the bells and whistles and the adjustable foundation and such? Mine was like 2k all told, though admittedly that was pre-pandemic. Worth it considering it should be good for 15+ years.

Hit up Costco yesterday because I always need Greek yogurt and was pleasantly surprised to find that they had some of the Lego botanical collection in at a pretty decent discount. Also picked up some kosher salt, it’s unfortunate that none of the warehouse clubs seem to have Diamond Crystal any more.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

This weekend I took full advantage of the sale on Premier Protein and have a roughly 9 month supply on hand now. Was worried that I might not be able to pick up more chocolate flavor because they were out on Friday but they had fat stacks when I went w/ a car on Sunday so all was well.

Tried the Kirkland tortilla strips and I don’t know if I got a bad bag or something but they seemed either a little stale or a little doughier than the organic tortilla chips. Not awful but I prefer the chips so far. Going to see how they fare in a big ol’ nacho pile later this week, too bad I’m too far east to get the hatch chili sauce it seems.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

hark posted:

oh poo poo was this just over the weekend or is it still happening?!?

Just ended, unfortunately, the signs in store said through 9/3 but I heard online might have been 9/4, which still is of no use now. Only ran for about a week.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

New York water contains 4% hobo piss.

Maybe upstate/in LI, but NYC water is from carefully maintained aquifers with good natural filtration upstate. Hobo piss composition is well within standard tolerances.

Since my Costco is on the walk home from work I usually hit it up once a week or so just to see if anything cool has gone on clearance. Waiting for the hot honey to get the 7 of doom as I’m interested but not enough to pay full price. Also forlornly hoping we get the 505 hatches one day like how the store has bitchin’ sauce for about one week out of the year.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Oh, that’s too bad; was thinking it might be cool as a sugar replacement in tteokbokki and such, also for use on apples (have a ton after going apple picking last weekend). Guess I’ll just gochugaru up some honey instead.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

bird with big opinions on ball aridity

went in for wastebasket liners for the bathroom and they only had the clear ones, no thanks. Instead picked up that chili lime mix that I’ve been waiting to go on sale/clearance to try and a jar of Forbidden Dessert (Sanders caramels) since they were both on sale. Let’s see if this time I can behave!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Went to church for a Covid booster, also picked up some jerky and broccoli and was tempted into pretzel crisps because they were on sale.

There was discussion of pie for the holiday between my family so I took a look at them while I was there. Has the pecan pie always been way more expensive than the pumpkin/apple? It was like $17 and the pumpkin was like $6 or $8 or something and I think the apple was $9? Probably moot since we want a variety and the church pies are way too big to get one of each.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Big Mac posted:

That much for that size of pecan pie makes sense to me, pecans are expensive and when I make the pie at home it's always spendy. Apple and pecan are two pies I could never bring myself to buy, apple pies with a store bought crust are a breeze and so, so tasty. Pecan pie I use a family recipe for and it's simply too precious to me.

It does make sense that the nuts would drive the cost up, if anything it makes me wonder why the other two are as cheap as they are!

Hopefully my family doesn’t need me to pick up a pie because I’m not in the office until Wednesday and the idea of trying to get a pie the day before thanksgiving fills me with only slightly less dread than that of trying to get a discounted big TV the day after.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I enjoy the sanders and it was previously banned but with the recent sale I gave it a shot again. To my surprise I can keep myself to two a day so they’re no longer forbidden candy.

The praline pecans, though, I have no confidence in my restraint.

I do think something changed with the Sanders since I last had them, the caramel has a grainier mouthfeel that I don’t remember.

Pretzel chips are dangerously close to going on the DO NOT BUY list, they’re just the perfect conveyance for dips. I made cranberry sauce the other day and they were real good with the sauce before it fully set in the fridge.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I haven't noticed but I also don't get those so I don't really look for them. I need to stop going down the chip isle at Costco, that way leads to regret and stomachaches. Fortunately a Trader Joe's opened up right near my building so I can get all the weird snacks I want in amounts less likely to get me in trouble!

I have noticed that mine hasn't had frozen tilapia filets for like a month or more. I've started getting the mahi mahi instead, they're good but the filets are like 7oz when a serving size is 4oz and that annoys the hell out of me.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Pork loin is $8 off through tomorrow, which means you can get a huge hunk of protein for $8-12.

I saw these in the wild visiting not my usual church and could not resist picking one up even though my freezer is pretty stocked (moreso with them finally having tilapia in stock, and skin on salmon on sale also). Good stuff, probably going to end up as pulled pork and tonkatsu.

Also they had the peanut butter pretzels in stock, maybe they’ve figured out the supply issues?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

bucksmash posted:

Got 20 lbs of loin for basically $1.15/lb thanks to the $8 discount.

Currently marinating 2lb of it for dinner, now I need to find a bunch of pork loin recipes because there's another 9 meals to be made out of the remainder

Slice them into cutlets, make way too much tonkatsu, then make the tonkatsu into katsudon. I made way too much tonkatsu this week and though it wasn't from Enormous Costco Pork Logs it should work fine with that, maybe even better considering how small boneless chops seem to be at most places nowadays.

if you're not up on your delicious breaded pork cutlet technique Kenji did a video for it recently, also a katsudon one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dg7kSKrSnk

He also did a series on oven pulled pork earlier this year, and while that was done with pork shoulder (and is real good, I've made it a few times) I bet a big chunk of loin would probably work well for it too. I cut mine up for two larger roasts and the rest as cutlets so I'm probably going to try one for pulled pork in a week or so.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Took a risk on the Realgood Foods pepper jack burritos. We did not like the enchiladas we had the one time but this was like $2/burrito and I figured tit was worth a shot at that price.

I also thought they looked possibly good and picked them up about a week ago. They’re not bad and they’re pretty filling, but they’re really bland, like they need more salt or something. I put hot sauce on as I ate them (also pan-grilled them a little as suggested) and it helped. Would not buy again at full price, might at discount?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah, yeah. $2.70 off. Also the Fitcrunch bars are $6 off. I might have to make a Costco run soon.

I have been waiting for those to go on sale again, I’m going to stock the hell up. Starting kitchen renovations in about a month so protein bars are going to go from ‘breakfast once or twice a week’ to ‘probably daily’.

Gonna be annoying walking home with like eight boxes of them, but I’ll do it for savings.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

no entity has successfully had a way to reliably lose two digit lbs or kgs of weight before this, except for surgery, so you can consider all previous theories of obesity failures, except the bariatric surgeons

personally I’d still be cautious with a lot of the medication weight loss until we have a better grasp of the long term effects, several doctors I’ve talked to including my bariatric surgeon agree with that stance (post-surgery, I got the surgery right before this stuff started getting big). I think if you’re looking for a massive weight loss of like ~100lbs surgery is probably going to be the right option but it’d be good to have a moderate to small loss option around.

Anyway waiting for the new sale to start, I’m going to buy so many goddamn fitcrunch bars. I’d like to try the other flavors but they only ever seem to have the peanut butter ones at my Costco. Not that they’re bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Went in today to pick up some more fitcrunch bars - I am now hopefully stocked for like six months - and some yasso bars because I like them and haven’t had them for like a year or so and they’re on sale. Turns out they also had pork butt discounted; I’d be sorely tempted to pick one up for Cuban style pork but my freezer is still full of discount Costco pork loin and more importantly renovations on my kitchen start in like two weeks so I won’t be cooking for a couple months anyway. Getting an enormous, ridiculous fridge so there will be plenty of room for them in the future!