Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

dphi posted:

Oh hey that's my local Costco :hfive:

I shop at that one every time I visit family in Portland and the surrounding area (and also do big ticket purchases there for that sweet zero sales tax, beats the hell out of the 10% here in King County, WA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Any tips on improving the rotisserie chicken? Great price, decent taste, but the greasiness is kinda off-putting. Can it be thrown whole into the oven and rebaked to improve this, or do I need to separate the meat from the carcass first?

On another note, got gas, used the tire pump for the first time (fast and sweet), and picked up way too much Tikka masala haha I kid there's no such thing as too much Indian food

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Smugworth posted:

Just eat the drat chicken
Thanks you're as helpful as a Sam's Club membership

Plus it's not just for my fatass, having a birthday for a friend next weekend and the last time we had one it was acceptable but just really slimy.

Chronojam posted:

It freezes just fine, too
Oh yeah my freezer is packed full, plus a 20lb bag of rice and I'm set for a good while

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Point taken ya bastards :) but I realize with the greasiness it will go well as a chicken fried rice so thanks for the push

Costco: It's chicken Just eat the drat chicken

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

My 9 year old nephew is in the family white elephant for the first time this year.

For fifteen American dollars I walked out of Costco with a set of two nerf blasters. Truly I’ve never spent so little money to make other people clean up so much mess.

PBUC
Someone needs to go to Costco and pick up the frozen durian as a white elephant gift

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Everyone should be aware church is always packed around Christmas, especially the Olds. They're desperate to give their tithing and reconnect with the other parishioners

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Parking near the front is stupid. Parking near a cart return is the smart play.

:hmmyes: and I always try to back in to the spot (or pull through) so I can exit safely. Occasionaly bites me in the rear end when someone parks 1" from my rear bumper and trunk access is more difficult

Also got my first voucher report: $199 coming next month, more than I thought, so I'm thrilled

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Get yourself some glitchioli

Goes well with drippini

I just spent a whole buttload of money on Costco Travel for vacation near the end of this year. That means $60 already for next year's certificate. I'm just annoyed I didn't apply for the Costco Citi CC earlier than last April

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I spent the least amount of money in any of my visits ever at Costco last night. Some hummus and carrots came out to around $14. Even a food court trip only pushed my purchase up to $21.

So this upcoming Sunday husband and I are going to the Business Center in Fife to give a proper tithing (and to get supplies for some parties we want to do in the near future).

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

Better make it Saturday, they're closed on Sunday.
Oh drat I totally forgot, thanks for the heads up. Looks like regular Costco for me until I have a Saturday open then

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

shopping with Kroger is supporting Ohio you monster

don't worry though prodigal child, Costco will always welcome you back with open arms and $1.50 hot dog and soda

seriouspost: if you shop supermarkets enough to get good gas discounts then sure go buck wild, but I'd rather get that 4% back on my credit card (plus the Costco in my area is typically 30-60c cheaper than anywhere else so YMMV)

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Picked up two of the Winix air purifiers this last weekend, one for our bedroom and one for husband's WFH office. Trying to be prepared for allergy season, and also when a good chunk of Washington, British Columbia etc. is on fire again. Pretty quiet machine, definitely feels fresher in each room so I'm happy. Plus I had a good laugh last night when my husband farted in his sleep and the sensor went red and kicked on for about 10 minutes.

Those air purifiers are moving fast though, half the pallet was empty when I found them. Also bought like 5 polo shirts and matching shorts cause I was sick of all my old spring/summer attire.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

The church doors are still closed past opening at the Tukwila WA location and the parishioners are getting restless, why hast thou forsaken us

(I looked and I don't see any special hours for today? Maybe they're understaffed or preparing for the overflowing parking lot cause of the Easter closure tomorrow)

as I posted this they just opened, it's insane here if you need to go today go ASAP, it's just going to get worse

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Fatrick posted:

We've been looking to get a purifier and had our eye on that. Please update with trip report

Another Winix user here. One for the bedroom, one for my husband's home office. They work great, we've had a few recent fires in Washington state, but in our bedroom and the office you wouldn't even know it. Our living room however is noticeably less fresh.

Also since we started using them, I don't wake up and immediately start sneezing like I did when we had no purifiers.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

One of my favorite things is when you buy something at Costco and the register clerk's eyes get big and go "Whoa I didn't even know we had that!" and you know they're going to buy it themselves once they're off work

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Last time that happened to me the clerk followed me out to my car and beat the poo poo out of me.

Well when it's the last one you have to expect hand to hand combat, this is standard Costco rules. If you have an Executive membership biting is allowed

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Alucard posted:

Not mad enough: what about noodles, but with noodles

https://www.reddit.com/r/StupidFood/comments/187t06w/oh_my_fuck1ng_god/

From the bird with big dick recipe club.
"It's so fluffy!"

vai in prigione

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Got 20 lbs of loin for basically $1.15/lb thanks to the $8 discount.

Currently marinating 2lb of it for dinner, now I need to find a bunch of pork loin recipes because there's another 9 meals to be made out of the remainder

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

A disturbance this morning at the local church, saw a couple of displeased parishioners and wasn't sure why until I saw it

The rotisserie and hot food altar has VANISHED

But the food court still has churros so I got one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Why are they doing this? Are there really that many customers showing up to the register forgetting their cards?

Maybe that. But they're cracking down on people borrowing memberships and/or not being authorized on the primary account. Haven't seen it at the ones in WA that I frequent yet (Tukwila, Federal Way, Silverdale) but they want your $60/$120 yearly membership fee, and they don't get that when you use your Aunt Tilda's card

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I feel lucky to have multiple Costco locations within 15 miles, and a Winco when I don't need bulk purchasing.

Come to the PNW, we got everything wait no don't everyone's coming here and it's impossible to afford rent nooooo

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I use the Citi card for the 4% gas, 3% restaurant and travel, and 2% 'Co purchases. Anything else I use my credit union's card which is 1.5% cash back. I don't care about your bonus air miles of whatever, I pay no fees and that's good enough for me.

I don't even use my card that often but booking trips through Costco Travel and getting a lot of gas adds up quickly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Taima posted:

You're a traveler and don't care about free trips and hotel stays? Fair enough friend. All is accepted in the church.

Without the Sapp Reserve I never would have gotten to experience the sublime Andaz Papagayo, man, good times.

Anyways it's not worth a derail beyond this, just wanted to let people know what else they could do.

I mean that's good to know, I only have two credit cards, I've not traveled outside the US in 20+ years (not counting an ill-fated cruise to Mexico), and I'm a lazy gently caress. If I plan any real trips I'd probable consider going this route.

Anyway, back to church chat, the Issaquah location scanning cards was big enough that it hit the local Seattle newscast on KIRO, our CBS affiliate. Betting this rolls out to all Costco locations by Easter

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can have like, actually-japanese teriyaki without it, but you can't have seattle teriyaki without it

Wait holy poo poo what

I've never bought the sauce myself but as a lifelong King County resident who has had plenty of Seattle teriyaki how tf did I not know. Guess I'm going to Costco tomorrow at opening

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Another happy Discount Tire customer chiming in, they're worth it. I'll go to Costco for 90% of things I need, but I've used DT for years and they've been consistently good, which as evidenced in this thread Costco can be a crapshoot.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Sloppy posted:

What's the star of death, a notice of discontinuing? I love Aussie Bites!

Yup. Quick Costco price tag primer:

A * near the price means item won't be restocked once it's gone

Green colored price signs are organic products

Items on sale / discounted end in 7 or 0 (e.g. XX.97 or XX.50)

Manager markdowns end in .88 or .00 - can mean anything from a newer model is coming in, trying to push product that isn't selling well, returned item that is still salable, etc.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Aw yeah redemption day

Now to give back like $200 next weekend when it posts to my bank account. I could have just used the certificate but gotta build up next year's rebate

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't need to actually print my Costco rewards certificate so I? Just letting them scan the barcode from the email on my phone should work?

Yep. I'd recommend screenshotting it because I've had issues with signal inside Costco sometimes.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

All the nitrogen pump talk made me check my tires and I was around 7 PSI lower than I should be on each one. Thankfully my Costco has the air station, so a quick hitting each tire followed by a stop at the gas pumps and my car feels right. I was wondering why it seemed like my gas mileage was getting slightly crappier.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Eeyo posted:

If you really want to optimize it it's better to inflate the tires after the car has sat for several hours. Driving heats up the tire quite a bit so filling it after driving doesn't guarantee a perfect fill.

Personally idgaf

I added 4 PSI for the hot tires, I'll check it when I'm off work as my car will have sat for 4 hours and I'll have a proper reading. Plus I have a very slow electric tire pump at my office so I can do the top off before I drive home if needed

Also got the food court cookie recently. It's alright, mine had tons of chocolate chips which is nice, but no real pull to get it again.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

im permabanned poster creamerstomper58. i first started drinking half and half when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "UHT" and-

Sloppy posted:

Tangential, but I discovered these little air compressors recently and they're the absolute poo poo, especially if you have a very very slow leak like me or forget checking the pressure in your spare. They can air up a tire in seconds and stash away easy under a seat or in the trunk.

Just ordered it, gonna need something for an upcoming 11 hour road trip in May. Related, is Costco in Canada pretty homogeneous to the US, or is there anything special I should keep an eye out for? (Vancouver / Calgary specifically)

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Bucnasti posted:

The Tukwilla Costco parking lot packs so many hosed up things into one place.
Main entrance with unlined merging pathways. Side entrance that's always backed up for the gas station. Gravel back entryway with HUGE potholes. Spots on steep grades... Add to that general Seattle driver shittyness and costco always being busy and it's particularly miserable.

Just to emphasize how poo poo the Tukwila location is with my own personal notes (forgive the ugliness, phone posting):

If you're trying to get gas, you better have entered from Andover Park E because the median is coned off if you've come from Sperry Drive. So many cars pull hosed up U-turns and sometimes block the through lane of people trying to go directly to the warehouse. Also the gas station is so poorly placed and disgustingly busy that it often backs up so bad cars from Andover can't even turn in from either direction.

The one way exit at the top, I've almost gotten into multiple head-ons trying to leave cause some impatient gently caress decides to enter the parking lot and completely ignoring the DO NOT ENTER signs from the street.

Tukwila sucks but that's the closest Costco to me and where my eye doctor is. Multiple times though I've gone out of my way to drive the extra 15 miles to the Federal Way location just to avoid that bullshit (and give me an excuse to go to the Business Center in Fife).

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I never thought to check Costco for car rentals, and now my car rental this upcoming October when visiting inlaws is going to be $400 less than what I paid last year

PBUC

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

lol at the big bad bitchmade Waltons realizing Sam's Club after 20+ years of trying and failing to do better than Costco in Washington, closed every single one without notice and left the entire state in 2018

The sad shell of the Sam's Club down the street from me, sitting vacant with the faded diamond logo still showing their failure for 5 years after, finally got turned into a Home Depot several months ago

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 14, 2024

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Apprentice Dick posted:

I will never trust the Walton family to sell me a quality hot dog.

On another note, are any of the upright vacuums at Costco worth the money? My Bissell finally poo poo the bed yesterday after 7 years and I want to make sure I'm buying something worth a $200+ price tag

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Hutla posted:

I have a Shark Navigator from Costco and I love it. It advertised no hair wrapping around its main beater brush and it is really true. I have a shorthair cat who seemingly buds off an entire new cat in fur each week and it doesn’t get clogged by her, either. It has a bunch of configurations and all of them have worked well for me. It’s a bagless with washable foam filter, though, so if you have crazy allergies and need a HEPA ymmv.

This is from a couple pages back but THANK YOU I didn't realize how lovely my old vacuum was until I bought this and I'm embarrassed to say I had to empty the dust bin halfway through the vacuuming, and it was full again when I was done. Worth the price tag indeed.

Going to throw more money at Costco tomorrow too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Costco: please dont gently caress the rotisserie chicken