Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wow this makes me never want to get gas at costco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

So the first kimchi I bought a while ago is really coming into its own now surprisingly. It's nearing it's expiry date but those are for pussies.

The jongga is already good right off the bat so I can only imagine it's gonna get even better in a few weeks time.

Kimchi doesn't really "expire" so much as it gets too ripe (for your taste). It's salty and sour, those two are pretty good preservatives, especially if it's refrigerated. Koreans will often use the more ripe kimchi for soups or fried rice or other cooked dishes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Chad Jihad posted:

I was about to ask why the don miguel mini tacos are so much better than the taquitos despite being the same concept, but turns out those were el monterey taquitos

I just wish they'd get some of the black bean taquitos back in stock. I saw them like twice but it's always been the chicken kind since then.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Laterite posted:

IME Costco's produce quality exceeds any other chain grocer around here with the possible exception of Whole Foods or maybe Town & Country Market (Seattle area chain) but at that point the price value proposition is blown away anyway.

At the one I go to the fruit is usually pretty good, but the vegetables haven't looked that good to me the few time I've looked. Maybe just bad luck, I stopped looking through their veggies after I saw they had a big pallet of brown and bruised green beans. Maybe just frost damaged but I've never seen such hosed up green beans before it made me sad.

They occasionally have hami melons which have been good the few times I've bought them. But I'm a fan of cantaloupe and other melons anyway so I'm biased. And the big bags of pears or oranges or whatever are consistently good quality for me

I usually buy the cheaper varieties of whatever they have for sale (possibly excepting the hami melons, not sure what the price per pound is) so I'm not sure how good their fancier apples or other more exotic fruits are.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

binge crotching posted:

Who wants to deal with making one cup at a time though?

I’m a little sensitive to caffeine, so like one cup of coffee is almost too much for me anyway. So a pourover or an aeropress is good for just banging out a singe smaller cup in the morning so I don’t jitter through the walls later in the day.

But yeah if you want more than one you’d have to really like coffee to deal with the prep/cleaning.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The costco near me (suburban Chicago) rotated through quite a few of those. I think I saw the gardein, alpha, skinny butcher (those were chik’n cutlets), beyond, raised and rooted, and possibly one I’m forgetting.

Haven’t seen the impossible nuggets or simulate yet though.

I think vegetarian meat analogs had a lot of growth during the early part of COVID so there are probably a bunch of startup companies making different ones. I think sales slowed on that category so I’d guess a lot of them may not be around that long but we’ll see.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

sadly I've become picky enough about beer that the 'co no longer does it for me... don't want to try something and feel like I've got to finish a bunch of beer that I don't like.

A while back I bought a mixed case of New Belgium IPAs with a lager thrown in as well. I didn't realize that all the IPAs had fruit flavoring added in, so they were all just a bit weird. Like they put in mango flavoring or passion fruit or whatever. The lager didn't do a whole lot for me but at least it was just beer. I wouldn't have bought all that if I had known beforehand so I know how you feel. I usually don't buy beer from Costco, and that experience makes me avoid it even more.

I saw Sam Adams Oktoberfest, I can't recall what other breweries they had last year or this year.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Probably they're tripping from too much nutmeg after eating too many costco pumpkin pies.

Chinatown posted:

Goddamn. I'd kill to just see an excel sheet of their sales volume per item on a weekend.

It looks like it's 5 pies wide, 28 pies long, and 10 pies tall, so 1400 at opening time. Depending on how many times they restocked over the day they could have cleared a few thousand pies easily.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fake James posted:

I know its sacrilege but I don't like the 2 G's kimchi, tried it a few times to be sure it wasn't just a bad batch. Not sure why because I would house tubs of the stuff from my local H-Mart.

It kinda varies a lot. From my recollection the jongga stuff was a bit less seafoody than I've gotten from the H-mart. So if you liked the savory, funky seafood flavor then it may just not have enough of it.

Other dimension is how fermented (sour) it is.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I saw a big package of pokemon cards intended as a trick-or-treat gift today. Not sure if that's the best of ideas, lots of kids probably won't care enough about them. Maybe as an option: have some chocolate and if you want a pack go for it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Slotducks posted:

my costco got rid of beyond sausage packs and ive been devastated for like 6 months pray for me

Huh I never saw the beyond meat sausages at my costco. Were they frozen? I never go by the meat area so IDK if they'd have been there.

They did have the field roast sausages a few times, which are more of a seitan sausage. The nice part of those is they're ready to eat so it'd make a decent sandwich/hotdog for a take along lunch to the zoo or something like that. But they're not really like sausage at all, it's very seitan-y

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How are the optometrists typically at costco? I'm looking around for an optometrist to go to so I can renew my prescription and get some new glasses sometime soon.

It looks like they're independent, but do they have some kind of similar pricing scheme?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

n8r posted:

What am I supposed to do with this kimchee now that I have it?

The traditional way is as a side dish basically. You get your kimchi, vegetables, a bit of soup, other side dishes, and a bowl of rice and just eat it.

I often just have a small dish of it with just any old meal. It's kinda like a palate cleanser, you take a bite of kimchi then a bite of whatever else you're having and it tastes totally different.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Goddamn sounds like a lovely manager

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah but you can just uncrystallize it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Laoganma brand aka the angry lady

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I got the Japanese barbecue sauce and I’ve been using it as kind of a stir-fry sauce. A bit too sweet for my tastes though as a general stir fry sauce, I gotta figure out how to make it more teriyaki like.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The way the self checkout lady announces "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT COST CO" is weird everytime.

What you don't call it "cost company"?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For tortilla chips, last time I made some layered dip I had it with those sweet potato corn crackers. They're actually just tortilla chips but labeled as crackers for some reason.

I personally prefer the multi-seed kind of tortilla chips over plain tortilla chips though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

I read that half the weight you lose on semaglutide is penis mass.

No it’s half the weight is lost to penis mass

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yum. Don't forget to top the steak with a dollop of whipped cream

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Costcos vegan cauliflower queso is the best dip in the store

Fight me

Is that a refrigerated thing or a canned thing? Don't think I've seen that

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

binge crotching posted:

Saw that, it's some bad news. All the senior guys that have been there from the start are retiring, and there is a good chance Costco will get lovely over the next decade as more and more of them retire.

:yeah: time to go back to aldi

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AcidCat posted:

I feel like this setup is missing some crucial ingredients?

No it's going to be like the prison food where they smash up all the chips and crackers with the clams and boil it in the chips bag into a loaf.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

topenga posted:

What in the chicken fried gently caress?????

Ok I guess it was tamales.

https://www.southernfoodways.org/how-to-make-tamales-in-prison/

I guess BWBD will be making prison piergoies then since he's got cheddar and sour cream potato chips.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That’s like 3/4 of a day’s calories (unless you’re a laborer or working out a lot).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Last time I went they finally had the massive bags of Babybel cheese. It's amazing how much cheaper it is than regular grocery stores. So much that I just don't buy it from other stores. I don't remember the price but it has to be at least half the cost in terms of what you get.

We give our toddler that cheese so the big bags is a good buy for us.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I keep doing that with the frozen corn. I'm like "maybe this time costco frozen corn won't be inedible" then it's terrible again.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Lisinopril? Big same buddy

Lisinopril buds :hfive:

Hoping I can drop it if I lose a bit more weight.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

pencilhands posted:

what's the best (i.e., least people)time to go to costco?

Before closing on a weekday generally.

Google maps keeps an average busyness graph on places so check that out. It’ll tell you which day is least populated and what times it’s least busy. For the stores near me Monday and Tuesday are best and weekends are like twice as busy.

Keep in mind it’ll look weird if your costcos close at 8:30 like ours. Google maps tracks by the hour so the last hour looks half as busy, but it’s probably similar to the rest of the night.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

God damnit why did you make me look that up you'll pay for your crimes against humanity!

That's the LEAST disgusting picture of it I could find. All UK cuisine is fuckin' gravy and mash potato goop with white bread and jelly. Or whatever the hell that is.

It’s smack (a fried potato cake/battered potato slice), barm (a yeast roll traditionally raised with yeast from fermenting beer, which is known as barm), pea wet (the liquid from mushy peas, or pea “wet”)

Smackbarmpeawet

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

It is polenta

Sometimes it’s made from hominy (nixtamalized corn), which would be different. But yeah for plain grits it’s just a type of corn meal.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Pour a dog out for our Korean friends, I have heard credible reports that Korean Costco no longer has pizza.

Ok but what kimchi do they have in Korea?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Imagine being downwind from the jongga factory

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

what's the additional variety? plain daikon?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Did you know you can make a more efficient filtration system for pennies on the dollar with a box fan and filtration media sourced from rat nests

Does Costco sell a 5-pack of the filters I’d need?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you really want to optimize it it's better to inflate the tires after the car has sat for several hours. Driving heats up the tire quite a bit so filling it after driving doesn't guarantee a perfect fill.

Personally idgaf

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah ravens are possibly the smartest bird, doesn’t surprise me they’d target a grocery retailer.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My local Costco has easy access and plenty of parking (possibly not near holidays but I don’t go around those).

I go in through the back and park by the tire center, never any problems and a very short walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My Costco is conveniently located next to the dialysis center.