Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Should they be showing the jurors like that? Like I feel like that's a problem

its a civil trial, not a criminal trial. the reason you protect the identity of jurors is so that they aren't threatened by organized crime when a member of the crime group is facing criminal prosecution. alex jones may be a desperate piece of poo poo but he is probably not going to attempt to murder members of the jury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

His followers might.

his followers are complete dumbfucks liable to blow their own dicks off with fireworks while attempting to kill the wrong person entirely

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

haljordan posted:

Do you think he cheaped out or no legit lawyer wanted to take his money

nobody wants to take his case, he's already been dunked well into the get hosed zone

this same judge already passed a default judgement on him, which is basically being declared guilty because you spent too much time loving around and annoying the court. now this trial is the 'sentencing' more or less in front of a judge who already dislikes jones for being a bad faith shithead

you'd have to be an idiot, an ideologue, or desperate as hell to represent alex jones at this stage of the trial process while he is claiming to be so broke and also well along the path to getting even broker

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

haljordan posted:

Judge is already furious lmao

yeah this judge already laid a default judgement against jones in the previous trial which is basically the legal equivalent of "im sick of your poo poo, you're guilty, we move immediately to the penalty phase" because jones kept delaying with really blatant bad faith stalling tactics and refusing to cooperate with the court

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

That DICK! posted:

alex jones as far as i can tell has pretty much nothing to lose from flagrantly violating all of the judge's requests so, she's in for a lovely trial i think

he's been doing nothing but this for years now and basically the judge keeps pressing skip > skip > skip till she gets to the part where she can nail his rear end with penalties

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Revins posted:

jfc that's what that was about? if I was that judge I'd throw my gavel right through that stupid poo poo

jones' lawyers literally have nothing better to work with, he is clearly guilty as all get out

this kind of crap might work on a sympathetic judge trying to maintain high minded impartiality but after multiple years of this nonsense the judge put a default judgement on jones which is like the worst thing that can happen to you in a civil trial and you can really only get to this point by being a massive shithead flagrantly challenging the court to come at you

the same judge is the one in the court today and she is entirely 100% done with jones' bullshit

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

funeral home DJ posted:

The one prosecuting attorney on the show is exactly the kind of swaggering dick you want going after a shithead like Jones and I love that dude. Also, it’s heartening to know that people have been sending money into his office saying they want to help fund the case, but he and his partners are doing this pro bono and are donating it to some charity.

I choose to believe he is doing it free because he hates Jones for being a little poo poo.

yeah, a lot of people are pursuing jones not just out of personal dislike, but because they think that on principle you should not be able to profit from calling the parents of murdered children liars and agents of the state, and spur harassment campaigns against them

after this trial is over, jones has ANOTHER trial in connecticut dealing more directly with the parents of murdered sandy hook kids. he's already tried to settle out of court and they unanimously told him to go gently caress himself and to face the judgement of the court in a full civil trial

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Oh I see so this is to determine how much he's to pay not whether he's liable because of defamation.

yes

he hosed around in discovery so much that the judge (the same judge in the courtroom today) just declared him in default, aka, entirely guilty

this whole trial is not about if he has to pay, this trial is about how much he has to pay. he's going to pay some kind of damages to the plaintiffs

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jedi posted:

I don't know and wanted to ask before.

Let's say he has to pay $150 million and has the net worth to match it. How does that actually work? What gaurentee do the families have that Jones pays?

first step is basically the honor system. the court trusts that the party found responsible for the judgement will make a good faith attempt to pay

jones obviously will not do this. im not sure if the judge in this case can tack anything on to force jones to pay, but she's definitely of the mindset to do so since she's already maximally pissed at jones as she can be within the extent of the law

when jones doesn't pay, the parties he needs to provide payment too can sue him again to force payment, and this is when the government actually start seizing jones' assets like taking money from his accounts and making him sell his poo poo, and if he continues to not do that its jail time baby

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bone napoleon posted:

Does Alex Jones not have to be there?

he does not have to be there, and his legal team originally said he would not be there due to various medical issues (cowardice)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jedi posted:

Interesting. Thanks

Is a time frame usually in place for payment? Pay all within X years or something.

no, its usually a whole separate trial about how "this dipshit was faced with a court judgement but hasn't paid yet" and then said dipshit needs to plead their case

keep in mind that alex jones already plunged through the thin ice and the judge is happily scorching his criminal rear end with the powers given to her so as precedent goes he's not going to be able to delay payment for long. like i said i dont know if this is possible in texas but the judge is already so done with jones' bullshit she may end up attaching penalties to pay to this phase of the case if she's allowed to

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sophy Wackles posted:

Wondering what assets they can seize from him. Like, can they just take his personal assets or can they hopefully take info wars, supplement companies and whatever else?

jones himself is on the hook along with the business entities InfoWars and Free Speech Systems, some of his other shell businesses were dropped from the suit after jones declared they were bankrupt

its not clear how much value any of those entities has but this is the point where we're going to find out

oh and after jones and his business goes through all this poo poo, he has to do it all over again in Connecticut

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

Oh poo poo, the jury gets to ask questions?

yeah, this isn't a criminal trial so the procedures are a little looser. in a civil trial jurors can question witnesses

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

B-Rock452 posted:

Did the defense not prepare their witnesses at all?

there is no defense, this is the legal equivalent of a public flaying. jones continually stonewalled and obstructed until he exhausted the last ounce of the judge's patience, and now the process is still rolling well past the point of no return. a sensible defendant would have settled long ago to keep this disaster out of public view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stefan Prodan posted:

i love knowledge fight but I just wish anyone else besides Jordan could be on it, that guy has a good heart but he is so annoying

this is the Podcaster's Gambit, you could just read the same wiki they're reading but they're going to throw some sassy riffs on top of it as a middleman