Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

JediTalentAgent posted:

The satanism angle from Alex had me double check something.

He seems like he would have been a K-12 student from about 1979-1992 or so. Pretty much all that part of his life seems like the D&D fearmongering, daycare cults, dangers of heavy metal music were likely huge in the conservative media space. In that specific window we have the kid from the Mazes and Monsters thing happening at very the start of it, and near the almost tail of of it we're looking at the early 90s Judas Priest trial over suicide through subliminal messages. I'm sort of stuck thinking about how back also in that very specific time the old Family Channel used to do semi-routine late-night 'media conspiracy'-type shows about such stuff that I totally missed the point of because I saw it as more 'interesting paranormal stuff' than the intended 'cautionary warnings.'

I know that a LOT of people also fit into that specific window, but I do wonder how much exposure Jones had to a lot of such media and 'media about media' that inspired or influenced him on things outside the 'I read a lot' of books growing up. Hell, even rewatching some of the old Max Headroom episodes, I found myself thinking of Alex Jones, for some reason.

I grew up in Austin, friends watched his public access cable show, I listened to his radio show a few times. It was amusing to prank call him back when he'd take live callers on the air.

There was a lot of juicy local conspiracy poo poo happening when he was an impressionable young adult. It was also the dawn of the internet, X-Files was big. We were *all* really into government conspiracies for a while there.

91 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Hill_satanic_ritual_abuse_trial - literal satanic daycare witchunt
91 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Austin_yogurt_shop_killings
93 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Has he ever admitted or acknowledged the crisis actor stuff isn't real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YHmIogDhc

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

His life doesn't seem to be worsened at all, yet, by the penalties he's been given. Yeah yeah he's angry and his reputation and business bullshit, but he wakes up in the same mansion, goes to the same job, takes the same vacations, eats the same food, lives the same life of luxury.

I don't doubt he'll eventually start to suffer, but he ain't yet and that is rightfully infuriating. Everything north of 10mil is just made up numbers anyways for day-to-day impact on your quality of life.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

kw0134 posted:

instant karma

It's been 3 months. There's no sign it won't be 3 years to me.

I get that being inside the system this is all normalized to you, but from the outside it's hot steaming bullshit. If I acted the way he did on the stand, I'd be in jail. He should be in jail. Eating jail food and sleeping on a jail bed and staring at jail walls. Anything short of that is gross injustice and we are all rightfully perfectly justified about being angry about it.

What's crazy is how blasé YOU are being about it.

Probably also some judicial blueballs from that coward in NY that won't pull the trigger and light off ACW2.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

But yelling at the lawyer who is explaining how civil law works isn't helpful. Obviously there are some problems in the legal system, but someone explaining the current realities doesn't deserve this treatment at all.
I was getting more apologism than commiseration from his post, but maybe I'm being overly sensitive to the umpteenth blatant flaunting of justice this week by yet another weather scumbag. Sorry dude. Seriously, not trying to pick a fight, just venting into a thread.

It just....

The news story de jure in Austin is about a 71 year old lady that got trespassed from the airport for seemingly being confused and sitting in a chair. They threw her rear end in jail lickety split and broke her arm in only 3 days.

Justice system seems plenty speedy when the target is weak.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I get the distinction between civil and criminal, but I seriously (I'm being open and honest here) don't understand why his trying to hide funds from a civil judgement isn't a criminal offense. He's dealing with the state at this point, it's not the state mediating a dispute between two private parties, they've told him what to do and he's told them to suck poo poo and get hosed. How is him mouthing off and lying to the judge and court appointed entities any different than back talking a sheriff?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'm trying to understand here. I went and read up on civil vs criminal contempt in my state, on my state's bar association web site. I've been reading about cases of actual incarceration for criminal contempt during civil trials as well, though those are harder to find.

And I say again, I don't understand why Jones is still a free man other than the judge isn't willing to challenge a rich white guy for the usual pathetic reasons.

It also stand in stark contrast to the last trial I read about closely, the 1984 Bell Systems breakup. Judge Harold Greene would have had the gumption to jail to Jones.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

kw0134 posted:

nearly no one gets prosecuted for it. Jones likely won't get prosecuted for it; neither do the dozens of perjuries that occur in every civil court every day in your county right now. If you go in front of a judge and lie and the jury spanks you silly, the judge will simply smirk at you
That feels like a good summary of why I don't have much of any respect for the court system. It doesn't seem to demand any real respect. Which is a huge fundamental problem for our civil society.

kw0134 posted:

Texas is a shitshow ...
This thread is starting to feel like post your favorite grievances towards the US political and legal system.
Howdy from the lonestar state. Yeah. Got a lot of grievances piling up lately.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 28, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

This thread promised me I'd get to see "alex jones is turbofucked because he decided to do a few defamation against the parents of kids killed in Sandy Hook. How hosed? Lets watch" back in july of 2022.

I have yet to see him get turbofucked. He seems mildly inconvenienced and if anything less upset than normal for him.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

If Jones died from a chili induced coronary tonight, he'd arrive at Troll Valhalla, resplendent, having lived a life of inflicting misery and having never suffered for it, with a capstone of having his horribleness quantized and declared the #1 best of all time.

By all means defend the system when it actually does something. So far, it's just threats and posturing. It's all smirk, no pain. He successfully made a mockery of the legal system until the moment it actually hurts him. Going from a billionaire to a millionaire is like retiring from being stupid rich to set-for-life. That's not a punishment. He won't change his behavior. It won't dissuade anyone else from doing what he did. It won't make the families whole. It's not justice. Maybe normal and expected, but not justice.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

dude went from having "probably a couple hundred million dollars" to "whatever scraps the bankruptcy court will see fit to leave him with after cashing out basically all his assets to pay off his creditors"
Wrong tense. Future perfect, not past. He is not turbofucked, he is potentially turbofucked. At present, he is microfucked, as edivenced by his undiminshed lifestyle and continued behavior. I DO NOT trust the American justice system to accomplish what it purports to. It does not get any benefit of the doubt. It gets credit for turbofucking Jones if and when it actually inflicts pain on him. Which it hasn't yet. And shows no signs of doing any time soon. Having skipped seemingly every opportunity he served them up to actually turbofuck him.

A judicial system capable of 'turbofucking' anyone should have jailed him for calling the judge a baby eating antichrist mid trial after being explicitly told not to. What we got instead was turbo-leniency.

rotinaj posted:

How much of this was spurred by the new york times article that was a wet blanket and made it sound like alex is already free and clear?
None. It was disheartening to check an update to this thread and see that he's still yet to see any pain and the court is having a sensible chuckle, a smirk, going 'oh you rascal you' to him blatantly trying to defraud them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

this isn't even close to an extreme example, and it certainly ain't criminal
Pretty sure fraud and perjury are both literally crimes. I understand they're usually ignored. This is a bad policy with adverse consequences for our society and I want these milquetoast doormats to loving cut it out.

But I'll bite. What's an extreme example that rises to the level of criminal? What bar does his chiliness need to clear here to suffer some immediate consequences?

Main Paineframe posted:

he's loving around and he's finding out
He's being warned he'll eventually find out. He ain't found poo poo yet. Check back in a year or two.

Main Paineframe posted:

the judge saying it's not necessarily a scheme isn't actually indicative of anything
Then why did it get reported? Why even say it? I can't find a way to read this other than he's just bald faced ignoring criminal contempt for ... some reason? Again, OK, it's normal. That doesn't diminish how stupid it is.

That PDF is great, extremely quotable. It may even cause the judge to sit up slightly and sneer a bit before remembering he shouldn't actually do anything lest the other judges faint at the sight of one of their ilk breaking decorum.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'm not angry about bankruptcy being a slow and laborious process.

I'm angry about a punishment being delayed through blatant chicanery.

I want that to be perfectly clear. I'm angry about him using the bankruptcy to delay his punishment. And the court just rolling with it.

You keep assuring us it will dig minutely into every infraction and resource while at the same time brushing off the judge literally dismissing an infraction. How can you reasonably expect people to have faith in a system so two faced?

We know he's rich. That's the concern. There's a history (all of it since the beginning of humanity) of rich people getting away with things they shouldn't have.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

kw0134 posted:

He'd basically have to leave the country entirely and never return.
So he pulls a Kim Dotcom. I heard he just had a lovely time on vacation at some Caribbean(?) country , OH NOES, he might have to go back forever.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 29, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Good thing he doesn't have a ton of currency specifically designed to circumvent national regulation and borders he could take with him and still receive more somewhere with a much lower cost of living and go right back to his day-to-day as a 'political exile'. That would never happen. He's shown he definitely respects the system too much to try that.

Can you be a civil flight risk? Is that a thing?

Do I need to start compiling a list of people that have successfully done this very thing you say he won't do? - https://www.businessinsider.com/guys-who-jumped-bail-2011-5 0.5 seconds of googling gave me this quick list.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Xakura posted:

A lot of people ITT arguing that courts should be able to strip people of their possessions easier and faster, and that's a real :psyduck:
No one said poo poo about 'easier', but yes, emphatically do I confirm they should be able to do it faster.

Why do you think it should deliberately slow?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Humans are stupid simple animals. If you want to train a stupid animal, you have to perform the reward or punishment as close to the act as possible or they cannot learn. This is the basis of every animal or child rearing book you can find that's written by anyone competent.

Jones needs to face immediate, if paltry, punishment for each every trivial crime he commits until he stops because he finally learns.

I'm flabbergasted this is a controversial position.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Deptfordx posted:

Uhm. To who are we giving the power of instant, unchecked, summary judgement in this new legal paradigm?

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/criminal_justice/publications/criminal_justice_section_archive/crimjust_standards_trialjudge/#6-4.1

The ones we already give criminal judges? I'm not asking for new legal systems, I'm pondering why the ones that are already on the books are being ignored.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

the courts want him to continue hosting the radio show
And that's a hosed up abomination of justice. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the plaintiff's would trade less money for his show ending immediately.

A just punishment accomplishes all the following:

* Stops ongoing harm
* prevents future similar harm
* makes whole any harm inflicted as much as possible
* dissuades others from performing the same harm

Allowing Jones to keep his show to pay his debts ruins 3/4 of the purposes. Hence my anger at an outcome that isn't justice. Exacerbated by its incredible delay to no end I can fathom than Jones' benefit.

I'm going to stop repeating myself now before the mods have to force this thing back on the rails because I feel like I'm having to go back to fundamentals of how systems are supposed to work while a good portion of this thread is only concerned with the minutiae of their current operation and I'll be damned if that's not a pattern that keeps repeating itself in my life.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

When does any part of this farce wind up before a judge with a god damned backbone?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

So what's to stop Jones doing what OJ did? Move to Florida, which is apparently a tax haven for debtors, where he can buy the most extravagant mansion possible and everything in it is exempt from the billion dollar settlement.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

At the sufferance of a court that literally refuses to do anything of substance to him out of a sense of phobia tier decorum.

The only people in that court with an ounce of gumption were the plaintiffs and jurors.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I give it no assumption of confidence. It gets my respect when it earns it by acting beastly. Til then, scorn and contempt. Not like they're going to do more than tut at me.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Our judicial system is nothing to be proud of. Once you start comparing it to what we think of as peer countries, we're pretty middling.

And as far as it being a matter of funding, take a look at how little Denmark spends on its judicial system, which is consistently top of the charts.

Our system is hosed by centuries or regulatory capture by lawyer-politicians.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The purpose of a system is what it does.

Our system efficiently inflicts harm on poor people and allows entities with money to delay and reduce harm to an obscene level. Intent don't fuckin matter.

I got my hopes up that this rear end in a top hat might have finally reached a level when the system would have to step up and defend rule of law and it just didn't.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/global

Our legal system only looks good when you compare it to authoritarian shitholes. Among our economic and social peers, we're at best middling to underperforming. We're the kid struggling to get Cs.

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/global/2022/United%20States/

Certainly, there's nothing to be proud of in our legal system. We excel at nothing. We're not fast. We're not fair. We're not efficient. We're not accurate.

"angry at this bullshit" is the correct attitude to take with the US legal system. Special shoutout to Delaware for single handedly making the US the epicenter of money laundering and corporate shell games. https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691180007/whats-the-matter-with-delaware

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Baron von Eevl posted:

he has a boss now, and it's a boss that doesn't care for him at all, and there's nothing he can legally do to stop that. He's legally bound to have to listen to a bookkeeper who will tell him what he can and cannot do.
You mean future now, not now now right? When will his misery about being managed be visible?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

The end result is likely to be worse for Jones than if he'd cooperated with the mediation.

Let's flip this debacle around and look at it from the other end. Alexander is visited by the ghosts of pundits past present and future tonight and cooperates the best he possibly can at this point.

What does this get him? What's the error bars on this mediation? On a scale of 'pay most of the judgement on a schedule' to 'summary execution'.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 19, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I just want to know when the flash auction starts in their parking lot so I can drive over and help ransack the place.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also gravy that dark sounds like it was Cajun style. They cook the gently caress out of their roux down there and you can do that at home too. You’re just going to be standing next to the stove, stirring like a motherfucker for a long time. Hope you have a podcast loaded amounts of time. It’s fun though.

If you take more than 10 minutes to get a roux to dark coffee color you're doing it wrong. Find a copy of the above, it's legit. Or Justin Wilson's Gourmet & Gourmand. I thought for sure he would have had a segment in one of his old PBS episodes, but akin to that first book, he just assumes you know how to make a roux or what are you even doing in a kitchen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs&t=161s

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I need a side by side livestream of Jones' face and the auction proceedings where he blubbers every time something expensive goes to a cat lady from Buda for pennies on the dollar.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

dr_rat posted:

I think that guy who made the ultima games built a castle or something?
Don't you lump Richard Garriott with the likes of Elon. That dude was cool. He built a castle and hosted legendary haunted houses in it every year, free and open to the public, and he actually went to space not like the cowardly muskrat.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Smik posted:

according to Wikipedia...
While you're there and on the subject, the entries for Ejaculation and Semen in the Lamest Edit Wars catalogue are worth reading for a good chuckle. That page is a treasure.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

He's building a compound out in Terlingua with the ample money he still has access to, while still filming his show, taking lavish vacations, and engaging in the same quantity and quality of food and drug vices he always has.

He is indistinguishable from functionally retired to me.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Rat Patrol posted:

Jim Jones, also. Tho maybe he ordered someone else to do it for him
I read Tim Reitman's book about suriving Jonestown. Final moments aren't clear, coroner said suicide, but there was a spare seat on the cessna that made it out of the jungle loaded with all the cult's cash. Reitman still thinks someone decided the captain definitely needed to go down with the ship.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I need some law goons to post about how effective the legal system is at punishing rich white men. They've been scarce lately. Where did they all go?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

'Probably pretty bothered' by only having a few million dollars, well then justice is served. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, Go Team USA!

Just be appropriately disgusted by the process and current outcome here, that's all I'm asking for.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

the way to ensure that those people get as close to $Texas as they can is not to throw AJ in an oubliette, but to keep him working and earning more fractions of that $Texas.
Being paid the maximum amount of a fine over an infinite time span is not the entire extent of justice. Timeliness matters. The pain to the losing party matters every bit as much as whatever recompense the wronged receives.

Don't do this corpo personhood maximimizing shareholder value view of justice. You're better than that.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Let's make a deal. Everyone that thinks the current state of Jones is a mockery of justice (not to be confused with American Justice™) will shut the gently caress up and stop whining about it.

In exchange, anyone posting about the quality and efficacy of millstones must specify a date and :toxx: If you're going to stan for the system, don't be a coward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Not like a specific date, I'm a reasonable guy. Rough years-from-judgement is good enough. 3? 12?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anyhow the bankruptcy proceedings are where the blood is at.

SonOfGhostDad posted:

I asked why he would be allowed to continue to vacation at the Four Seasons Hawaii and build a new compound, and the answer was he's probably not allowed to, he's probably breaking a ton of laws, but doesn't give a poo poo

Legit followup question for your friend. Can the conservator/ bankruptcy court not stop him from doing further crimes with the things they're looking over?