Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this is Are Year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

paddyboat posted:

Mo looks extremely horny, I’m lovin it

what a coincidence because i am also extremely horny for Mo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the quintuple is ON

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there a max contract length you can sign a player to?

I think if you sign them for longer than five years then they can leave on a free after five years anyway, so you do see contracts longer than five yeras occasionally but they're really rare

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
even though it would be tremendous content, I loving hate that guy and I don't want him anywhere near this incredible sport

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Fergie managing to win the league in his last season with a team built around Robin van Persie and a bunch of players in their 30s like Michael Carrick and Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra also papered over a lot of cracks in a squad that was aging but not being adequately replenished. Fergie's management and the performance of the really good older players hid a lot of problems in the squad. Rafael started 27 league games that season, Antonio Valencia 24, Tom Cleverley 18, Shinji Kagawa 17, and so on. It turned out players like that were capable of being role players on a title-winning side, but once the players who were the core of the team aged into retirement or limited playing time or leaving for other clubs, they were replaced by either players who weren't good enough, players who were big names but didn't fit the team, or players who were panic buys when the team was playing badly or the top targets didn't work out.

Combine that bad recruitment policy failing to adequately renew the squad with a flailing style of upper management that has led to rapid turnover in coaches and therefore the failure to put in place a consistent play style or club philosophy or long-term plan, and you get a club that seems to lurch from false dawn to crisis to false dawn to crisis, all while spending just as much money as all the really top clubs but for much worse results.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Fergie was also bad because he was papering over his own cracks towards the end, if he hadn’t gotten the RvP title at the end he’d be remembered very differently imho

didn't he win the title something like 5 out of his last 7 years at the club?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tbp posted:

genuinely the most corrupt decision i think i've ever seen in a Real Competition. it was just completely insane

the ref who did that decision was appointed Head of FIFA Refereeing four months after that game

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Didn't Van Persie get his first yellow for the second one as well? Barcelona were always protected by the refs but good lord that evening was something special.

these weren't even the only two lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Agree with what's been said here. The players look gassed just like they did in the second half of the 2020-21 season, and it's no surprise really. We had a hell of a season last year, made the final of every competition while also competing for the league, which meant every match was high pressure and the first team played an unbelievable amount of matches. I'm not surprised they're mentally and physically exhausted. I had hoped that having a proper offseason would help (no World Cup in the summer...) but clearly it didn't. Players getting little injuries that take them out of contention isn't surprising in that kind of context, but that also means a greater workload put on the players left uninjured.

Combine that with a squad that have accomplished a lot together but are now aging together, and it's troubling. imo the team could really use an injection of new blood and I like the signings that are being made, but it seems like we just aren't making enough signings to refresh the squad at the moment, and we've been focused on renewing the front three more than anywhere else and it shows. I think Diaz and Nunez will be good players for us, and Jota has also been a good addition. I like the look of Fabio Carvalho as well. Even with Mane gone, I think the attack will be fine once those players are bedded in and stop headbutting people. This season the biggest problems I've seen are clowncar defensive mistakes that I don't think would have happened a year ago and a lack of energy in the midfield, which isn't surprising when we're starting Milner and most of our defenders or midfielders look tired or out of ideas. Harvey Elliott looks promising but he plays like a winger, not a central midfielder, and Curtis Jones is injured I guess? I don't think he was even on the bench against Man U.

It reminds me of the players looking tired in mid 2020-21, but it also reminds me of whichever season that was (the same one, I think) where all our defenders were injured and we were playing Henderson and Fabinho in central defence, and our midfield looked completely exposed as a result. Everybody talks about the front three in Klopp's system or whatever but really I think the midfield is the most important part of the pitch for it, you need players who contribute to the press, who drop back to link up with the defenders and allow the fullbacks to overlap, and who will get forward and link up with the attack as well. Against Man U we had 2/3 players who were too slow or inexperienced to press effectively and who were playing like strikers instead of linking up with the defence, and it meant we were completely outplayed all over the pitch.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Meanwhile Wijnaldum has now been loaned out to Roma after a single season with PSG

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Brutal to get sacked after your three losses were to City, Arsenal, and Liverpool and you won the fourth game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

TBF he's probably played a blinder. Knows the team is going down because there's going to be no investment, gets a big payout and everyone's sympathetic as 3 points from those first 4 fixtures.

He'll be one of the front runners for the Villa, Everton or Leicester jobs when they become available shortly.

True. An article I read about it claimed the big reason for the sacking was differences over transfer strategy rather than results, so it seems there's more to it than just getting demolished by three top 4 contenders.