Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Roadie posted:

I know someone who used the official Foundry VTT release for Outlaws of Alkenstar and said it was fantastic, so it seems like it's consistent good results and not just a one-off.

Just started a campaign with 4 fellow forums posters of Outlaws of Alkenstar, and so far so good!

After running a session of pf2e the things I thought I didn't like about pf2e are actually just the things the GM for the only pf2e game I have played in, for which I did not like that GM style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

bewilderment posted:

I am a newbie to Pathfinder 2e but it seems to me that (if you're doing stuff online) just using the Foundry module is easier anyway and lets you do Free Archetype for free.

I gave the Foundry module a shot today and was serious impressed by how much is included. They put in for free basically all the the AP-specific monster stats, for example.

One thing is the bestiary doesn't have token art but if you buy one of the partnered AP modules for Foundry that will have token art

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Honestly one of the things that draws me to swapping over the 5e game I'm running to pf2e is how accessible Pazio makes the system and integration into Foundry and support for that. I ran some paid content from roll20 for 5e but the maps were super basic.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a separate Pathfinder GM book or is it in the core rulebook?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've always found that website to be so slow

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does the importer import maps?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I watched the v10 release twitch stream and I'm really looking forward to some of the new features but I think I'll definitely be holding off for a month or two before I update.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm GMing a Pf2e game, and one of the challenges I'm having is that each creature has multiple actions that synergizes with each other and they're always different from one creature to the next and it's a bit annoying. Is running monsters in pathfinder just... more involved? I seems to take a lot more effort to run the pf2e encounters than it does 5e encounters.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've been running Outlaws of Alkenstar on foundry for some goons and the Foundry module makes it pretty easy.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

Something like an Investigator with a lot of investment in medicine can be a good choice if you want a fairly dynamic combat presence - you roll to devise a stratagem at the start of your turn - if that roll would make your attack a hit/crit, you do that. If it wouldn’t, you pivot to doing something else (even if that something else is just attacking a different target).

I really love Investigator but it seems like a lot of it's abilities are "mother may I" in regards to what can be made the subject of an investigation. When i had one in a game I was running I was pretty loose with the applicability threshold, but I played one and that GM was fairly restrictive. It's also a little challenging because by nature of the class you'll probably have most skills trained and can end up taking more scenes than other characters by nature of having that many skill proficiencies.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is precision damage doubled on crits? e.g. a Hunter's Edge: Precision Ranger - would you double the d8 damage on a crit?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If you're playing with Free Archetype and you were a Animal Companion Ranger and you took the Beastmaster dedication, would you get 2 animal companions at level 2? And would the level 4 Mature beastmaster companion make both of them mature?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That's fine. It would give me mature animal companions 2 levels earlier and i could use class feats for other things.

Playing a strength based human half-orc ranger with a bastard sword and precision damage, with a boar animal companion for extra damage and HP on the field. Pretty fun so far (admittedly we haven't hit level 2 yet. Just finished the first chapter of Kingmaker tonight)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can animal companions do trips?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm playing Kingmaker and I have a precision bastard sword welding ranger with an animal companion, but we have 4 martials and 1 spellcaster and I'm considering changing to an Animal Companion/wild shape druid.

Would I be too action limited trying to control an animal and doing wild shapes/spells?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cyouni posted:

So by level 4, you can do one action from your companion without having to spend the action yourself. That makes it a lot easier. Then you can decide if you really want that third action, or if you can just spend it on your companion instead.

Doing both of those to full power will really eat into your class feats, though.

We're playing with free archetype and i was going to go beast master and just lean into animal boi

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker and I have a precision bastard sword welding ranger with an animal companion, but we have 4 martials and 1 spellcaster and I'm considering changing to an Animal Companion/wild shape druid.

Would I be too action limited trying to control an animal and doing wild shapes/spells?

As a follow up to this if i mostly want to be an animal wrangler and wild shape, how important is 18 vs 16 wis if i want to boost str to 14 in order to get form control?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm playing Kingmaker, and I was hoping for folks' thoughts on something. Is the whole module the party being colonizers?

We stumbled across somekobolds in a radish patch, with a quest to get some radishes, our diplomacy failed and the koblolds attacked. All over some radishes that we were willing to trade for.

Is the whole module like this? Invading and murdering indigenous peoples in "untamed wilderness"?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GetDunked posted:

All I want is for them to drop the kingmaker module already!!

Last I heard was Q2 2023, right?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Has anyone played the Blood Lords adventure path? It looks like an interesting setting, and I like the idea that if my character dies he can come back as a skeleton or other undead. I don't know how annoying the lack of positive energy healing would be and trying to juggle undead and live PC's.

I have this same question, but has anyone used the Foundry module with it?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

the_steve posted:

This has probably been asked a million times before, but, what's a good adventure path for an inexperienced DM who is bad at it? Like, what's newbie friendly?

The last time I tried running anything, it was Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, and gods, I was not good at that.

I tried running Outlaws of Alkenstsr as my first foray i to GMing for pf2e and it was challenging. I've heard the beginner box is good for both players and GMs but I haven't run it yet.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For the purposes of a Ranger's Twinned Takedown, would a gauntlet count as a wielded weapon?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Lamuella posted:

There is of course nothing to stop you specifying your character's general alignment (in the same way that there's nothing stopping you specifying your character's Myers-Briggs Type Indicator). It just won't have an effect mechanically. And for the majority of players (saving exceptions discussed in this thread already) it already didn't. The idea of someone being "mechanically evil" was already a bit weird, honestly.

Going to make my players take Myers-Brigg for their character development.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone used the Pathfinder Nexus Alpha character builder? Looks like it's moving to beta soon. I'm curious how it compares to Pathbuilder?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the gm sharing of pathbuilder new? How well does it work?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a good tl;dr for the strengths weaknesses of spell traditions (Arcane, Primal, Occult, Divine)? I have a player looking to play a Witch and they're trying to decide which Patron to take.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Mechayahiko posted:

Pathfinder is a teamwork focused game so it depends on what the other characters are as well.

So far a Druid, Rogue, Barbarian, Witch, and possibly 1 TBD

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

The familiar is a big part of the flavor though. They aren't going to get rid of that. Some players really really like having a pet.

This is why the player wants Witch over Wizard.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Paizo is redoing their website to make it actually usable by a human! This is the best news ever and everyone should rejoice.

Go to their website while you can and marvel at how loving awful it is, and how you can't actually log in.

Is there an announcement on this somewhere? I've always thought the worst part of pathfinder is navigating the paizo website.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Starting a new campaign soon and the characters are...

Goblin
Automaton
Leshy
Azarketi

and....
Greg the Human

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Starting a new campaign soon and the characters are...

Goblin
Automaton
Leshy
Azarketi

and....
Greg the Human

I feel like I should add classes, and note this is ALSO for AV.

Goblin Rogue
Automaton Witch
Leshy Druid
Azarketi Ranger

and....
Greg the Human Barbarian (Lumberjack background)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

For folks that use Foundry VTT for running PF2e, mind posting your mod list? Moving from 5e to PF2e and trying to figure out which of the 70 mods I have installed I can remove.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Do you get anything at all for the free tier?

I think it's worth it. Even if you sub for one month and get the most recent animations you can unsub. I think at this point most things in pathfinder are covered with the paid version. JB2A also charge per release, not month. Right now one of them is having a family issue and doesn't look like there will be a release for July (the versions are usually released at the end of the month). As the other poster said, if you have the income it really is worth it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

Their gencon keynote said that they're going to announce two new classes in september, so it should be pretty exciting to see what they have slated for the future.

Please be shifter

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the 3 action HEAL only 1d8 total per creature? 2 action 30ft, 1d8+8, 3 action is 30ft burst, 1d8 only?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just had third session (we play weekly for 1.5hr) of BB on Foundry, and the combat feels a lot more dynamic without the threat of everyone having an AOO. Kobold makes an attack and scampers away, etc.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Heist mission to get the gem!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If a Rogue goes Dual Weapon Warrior dedication, am I correct in reading that Double Slice would do two attacks at full attack bonus? If the target was flat footed, would each attack (if they hit) proc sneak attack?

Still learning the ropes of pf2e after coming from 5e.

e: neverminded, I fully read the description of double slice and says you can only apply precision once.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 11, 2023

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That BB dragon fight is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

We wrapped up the Beginner Box tonight and headed to town for selling and buying of equipment and setting up for starting AV next week.

How do shops work? Wrin says shop 5 - is there a list I can filter based on types of items sold and level? Can you just buy anything on that list?