Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
nice OP & big knowledge post Toshimo :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

One thing is the bestiary doesn't have token art but if you buy one of the partnered AP modules for Foundry that will have token art

I believe the foundry folks are looking to have officially supported art at some point too. I want to say they said it on their discord server or on a stream at some point.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

The thing where the art goes over the token border is so sick, they did it for all of the Iconics in Foundry and it looks really great

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Is 8 PCs too many for PF2e? I have an upcoming campaign with potentially that many players

Yes but two parties of four is perfect

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Quote posted:

Is the beginners box a good buy for someone with a good deal of 5E experience who wants to dip into Pathfinder? Or would I be better off with the core book?

The adventure in the Beginner's Box teaches you how the system works as you play through it and has all the stuff you need to start and since all of the rules content from the CRB is available online for free you can just look rules stuff up as needed.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

You could just let them rip through the first levels of the Vaults since the way XP works it should normalize some time around the time they get to the 4th floor or so.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jen X posted:

Can't speak to their quality or spookiness, but there were a bunch of short (but I think connected?) adventures in Dark Archive, and I'd assume at least a few of those are horror-adjacent

There's also a 3rd level adventure in Book of the Dead that is horror-ish.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Mechayahiko posted:

Anyone solving the Dark Archive ARG? the clues are gibberish to me.

No that’s what Redditors are for

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Andrast posted:

You can download any version of it from the site

which is to say use v9 for now if you do

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

pog boyfriend posted:

i think 5e DnD is better than this game, actually

I think they're different games for different folks actually. Personally I like PF2e, but 5e gave me a lot of great memories with my friends, too.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

GetDunked posted:

My uncle works at Paizo and he gave me early access to Pathfinder 3e which is better than both of them but I can't tell you anything about it :smaug:

hosed up they'renot doing starfinder 2e first i'm done with pf2e now

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I would start with the Construct Companion rules

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Really love how this system does XP, but have now on a couple occassions ran into the issue where the players will hit the 1,000xp mark in the middle of a dungeon dive and I am always somewhat unsure about what to do in these situations. It feels weird to simply go "ahhh you've reached the magic number, immediately level up" while they are, for example, running away from a rising tide in a coastal marsh that floods the first floor of the dungeon, but it also feels really bad to give the players the XP and then withhold the fun part, which is getting new things to play with.

I suppose the answer to this is "do milestone xp you dingus."

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Or go completely the other way, stop mid-fight, and be like "You feel new power welling up inside you", dramatic music plays, and then you blast the baddie with your new toy.

Live your inner Goku.

We did leave off last week with them going up a water-magic-elevator and being faced with a group of boggards, so I could absolutely do this.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

you have to blast this while it happens tho

I'm gonna do it

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Very true!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

Experimenting with the enemy creation rules and scaling up enemies to be higher levels. Hopefully this isn't a disaster!

doing this exact thing right now as well. hopefully only some players get owned by whatever monstrosity I end up making and not all players

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

The lack of clarity on that ability is kind of shocking but I believe the intent is that Cling, when part of the Swarming Bites Strike is a subordinate action that does not required triggering the reaction or using the per turn reaction.

quote:

Subordinate Actions
An action might allow you to use a simpler action—usually one of the Basic Actions on page 469—in a different circumstance or with different effects. This subordinate action still has its normal traits and effects, but is modified in any ways listed in the larger action. For example, an activity that tells you to Stride up to half your Speed alters the normal distance you can move in a Stride. The Stride would still have the move trait, would still trigger reactions that occur based on movement, and so on. The subordinate action doesn’t gain any of the traits of the larger action unless specified. The action that allows you to use a subordinate action doesn’t require you to spend more actions or reactions to do so; that cost is already factored in.

Using an activity is not the same as using any of its subordinate actions. For example, the quickened condition you get from the haste spell lets you spend an extra action each turn to Stride or Strike, but you couldn’t use the extra action for an activity that includes a Stride or Strike. As another example, if you used an action that specified, “If the next action you use is a Strike,” an activity that includes a Strike wouldn’t count, because the next thing you are doing is starting an activity, not using the Strike basic action.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Paizo's website is currently dead, but they have announced a system-neutral open license:

quote:

For the last several weeks, as rumors of Wizards of the Coast’s new version of the Open Game License began circulating among publishers and on social media, gamers across the world have been asking what Paizo plans to do in light of concerns regarding Wizards of the Coast’s rumored plan to de-authorize the existing OGL 1.0(a). We have been awaiting further information, hoping that Wizards would realize that, for more than 20 years, the OGL has been a mutually beneficial license which should not–and cannot–be revoked. While we continue to await an answer from Wizards, we strongly feel that Paizo can no longer delay making our own feelings about the importance of Open Gaming a part of the public discussion.

We believe that any interpretation that the OGL 1.0 or 1.0(a) were intended to be revocable or able to be deauthorized is incorrect, and with good reason.

We were there.

Paizo owner Lisa Stevens and Paizo president Jim Butler were leaders on the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards at the time. Brian Lewis, co-founder of Azora Law, the intellectual property law firm that Paizo uses, was the attorney at Wizards who came up with the legal framework for the OGL itself. Paizo has also worked very closely on OGL-related issues with Ryan Dancey, the visionary who conceived the OGL in the first place.

Paizo does not believe that the OGL 1.0a can be “deauthorized,” ever. While we are prepared to argue that point in a court of law if need be, we don’t want to have to do that, and we know that many of our fellow publishers are not in a position to do so.

We have no interest whatsoever in Wizards’ new OGL. Instead, we have a plan that we believe will irrevocably and unquestionably keep alive the spirit of the Open Game License.

As Paizo has evolved, the parts of the OGL that we ourselves value have changed. When we needed to quickly bring out Pathfinder First Edition to continue publishing our popular monthly adventures back in 2008, using Wizards’ language was important and expeditious. But in our non-RPG products, including our Pathfinder Tales novels, the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, and others, we shifted our focus away from D&D tropes to lean harder into ideas from our own writers. By the time we went to work on Pathfinder Second Edition, Wizards of the Coast’s Open Game Content was significantly less important to us, and so our designers and developers wrote the new edition without using Wizards’ copyrighted expressions of any game mechanics. While we still published it under the OGL, the reason was no longer to allow Paizo to use Wizards’ expressions, but to allow other companies to use our expressions.

We believe, as we always have, that open gaming makes games better, improves profitability for all involved, and enriches the community of gamers who participate in this amazing hobby. And so we invite gamers from around the world to join us as we begin the next great chapter of open gaming with the release of a new open, perpetual, and irrevocable Open RPG Creative License (ORC).

The new Open RPG Creative License will be built system agnostic for independent game publishers under the legal guidance of Azora Law, an intellectual property law firm that represents Paizo and several other game publishers. Paizo will pay for this legal work. We invite game publishers worldwide to join us in support of this system-agnostic license that allows all games to provide their own unique open rules reference documents that open up their individual game systems to the world. To join the effort and provide feedback on the drafts of this license, please sign up by using this form.

In addition to Paizo, Kobold Press, Chaosium, Green Ronin, Legendary Games, Rogue Genius Games, and a growing list of publishers have already agreed to participate in the Open RPG Creative License, and in the coming days we hope and expect to add substantially to this group.

The ORC will not be owned by Paizo, nor will it be owned by any company who makes money publishing RPGs. Azora Law’s ownership of the process and stewardship should provide a safe harbor against any company being bought, sold, or changing management in the future and attempting to rescind rights or nullify sections of the license. Ultimately, we plan to find a nonprofit with a history of open source values to own this license (such as the Linux Foundation).

Of course, Paizo plans to continue publishing Pathfinder and Starfinder, even as we move away from the Open Gaming License. Since months’ worth of products are still at the printer, you’ll see the familiar OGL 1.0(a) in the back of our products for a while yet. While the Open RPG Creative License is being finalized, we’ll be printing Pathfinder and Starfinder products without any license, and we’ll add the finished license to those products when the new license is complete.

We hope that you will continue to support Paizo and other game publishers in this difficult time for the entire hobby. You can do your part by supporting the many companies that have provided content under the OGL. Support Pathfinder and Starfinder by visiting your local game store, subscribing to Pathfinder and Starfinder, or taking advantage of discount code OpenGaming during checkout for 25% off your purchase of the Core Rulebook, Core Rulebook Pocket Edition, or Pathfinder Beginner Box. Support Kobold Press, Green Ronin, Legendary Games, Roll for Combat, Rogue Genius Games, and other publishers working to preserve a prosperous future for Open Gaming that is both perpetual AND irrevocable.

We’ll be there at your side. You can count on us not to go back on our word.

Forever.

–Paizo Inc

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Character creation in foundry (at least the ability scores stuff) was made a lot better fairly recently.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I like mimic fight club for an encounter builder, if only because they have a loot tool on the same website that I use.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

In the works by the foundry staff, at the moment.

Specifically they have said "you will be pleasantly surprised by how soon this comes out" or something to that effect.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Uh oh. Archives of Nethys is down?

It's down all the time.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Have been running miscellaneous Golarion-based adventures in Varisia and Nex for the last year or so for my group and we're finally going to be kicking of Kingmaker tonight and it's very exciting. I mentioned that I was thinking about it to my players a few weeks back and they've just constantly been mentioning it so I figured I can at least hack my way through the beginning of the book on Foundry until they put the actual module out.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Last I heard was Q2 2023, right?

Correct.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

M. Night Skymall posted:

It'll be a miracle if the Kingmaker foundry module is out by June to technically be Q2, I'm hoping for the end of the year at this point. The team isn't very big and they have to continue to release the new AP book every month in addition to trying to get Kingmaker done.

Paizo staff have said people will be "pleasantly surprised" (which as far as I'm concerned is still that it's just coming out 6/30 because I don't want to get let down) with when it is coming out, and the Kingmaker module is being done by Foundry themselves, not Sigil who do the other APs.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

crazy that they went through and made a whole rear end different game

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Megazver posted:

Have they actually mentioned when this stuff is coming out?

It's like the second sentence of the actual announcement:

quote:

The first two books, Pathfinder Player Core and Pathfinder GM Core, release this November, with Pathfinder Monster Core (March 2024) and Pathfinder Player Core 2 (July 2024)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

In news I am happy about. Kingmaker is nearly ready for Foundry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEV5ktd5ojE

hopefully this comes out sooner in q3 rather than later, my playgroup was extremely excited about kingmaker after having played the original release years ago so we started it and have been cobbling things together and it'd be nice to just have it all done already.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

I've had the "can't log in" bug on pretty much everything browser and device I've used at some point. Clearing the site cookies seems to fix it.

Same fix here.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Is it just me or does that guy look like NoNat1's

he does. they've mentioned it before on streams/videos they've both been on.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't get it. What's this referencing?

Twitter rebranding to "X"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I'm just gonna update and then do a backup restore if it's broken it'll almost certainly just be fine.