Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I believe the foundry folks are looking to have officially supported art at some point too. I want to say they said it on their discord server or on a stream at some point.

Yeah they have announced it for "later this year" - it will include Bestiary 1,2,3 and blanks to make your own. And they have a nice 3d look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Why does Organized Play feel like it's so hostile to new players? I'm just looking for a local game, but their own event list is very thin and basically impossible to search by geography. Or they recommend several other web sites, none of which are much better in either regard.

Then the FAQs and such are chock full of what looks to be fairly esoteric rulings, which I'm sure are important, but as a new player what I really need is "here's where to find a game" and maybe "if you want to roll around character in advance here's which optional rules you can use." I think they address the latter, but the options are overwhelming. The important stuff really needs to be more visible, and the visible stuff could easily be tucked behind another click or two.

(While I've played a share of TTRPGs it's been literally decades. It shouldn't be this laborious and confusing to just find a place to roll some dice.)

Related: How lost, story-wise, would a new OP player be? It looks like I will have missed literally years of events, and my hunch is that nobody runs "old" stuff.

The entire system is hampered by the fact that the Organized Play website, just like the rest of Paizo's website, is dogshit garbage. It's an absolute abomination and makes it twice as hard to even know what the rules are, let alone create and manage characters. I keep a Herolab subscription just for my PFS characters just so I can know what's permitted and make system-legal characters (the PFS checkbox in a Herolab character will show you anything you selected that's not allowed). A simple rule of thumb to create your first PFS legal character is just make someone that uses no feats/ancestries/backgrounds/spells/items/etc that have the Uncommon or Rare trait.

For finding games, you might consider playing a bit online if you have trouble finding local games (be sure to check your FLGS if you do want local games - they can usually put you in touch with the local lodge if there is one). For online play check Warhorn: https://warhorn.net/games/search?c=64

Like any other group of geeks, PFS is full of people who are happy to have you and will help you get started. The officers are awesome and helpful on discord and in-game so try out a few online sessions and see if you mesh with one of the lodges.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Starfinder really is fun. Just the fact that Ysoki (ratfolk) can hold bag of holding levels of poo poo in their cheek pouches or Kasatha (four armed race) can actually hold/wield 4 things had me hooked early. If it was based fully on Pathfinder 2e and not kind of a 1.5e type of system it would really be perfect

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yes, they are as low as item level 3, are nearly all common meaning they can be found in most towns/cities, and are affordable all throughout a campaign.

Staff of Fire is only 60gp

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Man that playtest analysis is a great window into what makes PF2e such a well designed system, particularly because right now you can compare it directly to the shitshow that is D&D One

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CottonWolf posted:

Or go completely the other way, stop mid-fight, and be like "You feel new power welling up inside you", dramatic music plays, and then you blast the baddie with your new toy.

Live your inner Goku.

:hellyeah:

Hit the elite template on the creature and let them fight it after they level up.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

sugar free jazz posted:

Just to be clear, when a stat block says "DC 32 Weed Lore (trained) to create high quality weed butter, DC37 Nature (expert) pack the makeshift apple bong, or DC40 Religion (master) to loosely roll a joint" the PC needs to have expert training in nature or master training in religion to do those things

I would like to play in this Adventure Path

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Very hype for Dwarf stuff. Rings of Power rekindled my love for those gruff little folk, especially Disa who owns

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Another PF2e / Starfinder humble bundle is up - a great deal on a hodgepodge of stuff and you can get a physical Beginner Box to give as an xmas gift

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/give-gift-pathfinder-starfinder-paizo-books

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Ghoran ancestry is pretty rad thematically and I am a sucker for cool unarmed attacks. Now I just need to find a game I can play one in

https://2e.aonprd.com/Ancestries.aspx?ID=52

e: I never played PF1 but I assume they were in it since there seems to be a lot of info about them already

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My SoT players just used Soothing Spring for the first time. Taking a break to chill in a hot tub while on a dungeon crawl is rad as poo poo :hellyeah:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Boba Pearl posted:

My memory is fuzzy, but it has a pretty good character creator as well or something? Do you think I could run it like DND Beyond at the table, where they set up a character and it tells them what dice to roll? (I already have a webhost.)

Building a character in Foundry is quick and easy, just drag and drop your ABC (ancestry, background, class) and a guided window helps you do ability scores, then drag and drop feats/spells.

A lot of players do their planning in Pathbuilder then keep their actual sheet in Foundry (which you can export to a json to move between worlds/servers)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Here is the best post-ORC news

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

VikingofRock posted:

Are there Pathfinder Society Scenario Foundry modules? If so, it might be a fun thing to run with my group sometime.

Once PDF to Foundry is working in v10 there are quite a few it can import. I do wish Paizo would make official releases of the newer ones though since now they're in limbo where the module author(s) can't add them but they aren't selling 'official' modules like they have done with the APs and BBox

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Funzo posted:

Is there a good tutorial on learning Foundry, and using Pathfinder with it in particular? Youtube videos people would recommend maybe?

TMun just did a series on how to make a character in Foundry which is a decent start. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSM4d9x5VMgGSodS-5I1bGoSsT-Vk1cVr

Setting up maps, scenes, etc for the GM is the subject of a ton of other videos but they tend to get outdated pretty quickly. I'd recommend the official Beginner Box module (https://paizo.com/products/btq02eap?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-Bundle) which makes it super easy to just start running a game for new players with no prep, and the journals cover tons of stuff about PF2e in Foundry and how to use it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Cool Dad posted:

I've been playing a level 6 cloistered cleric in an Agents of Edgewatch game and I'm feeling kind of underwhelmed. The other two player characters are a barbarian and a fighter, so I'm magic support guy. The thing is in combat, I don't feel like the spells I'm using are particularly useful. Magic Weapon was great but now everyone has striking runes. I feel like most of my combat spells bounce off everything we fight, and my support spells are either highly situational or kind of insignificant. My heals are amazing, but casting one useful spell once every combat or two is kind of dull. What cleric spells should I be looking at if I want to be generally effective in combat, either through direct attacks and debuffs or through buffing and enhancing the party? Are there some feats or something I'm overlooking?

Cast Down is a solid way to make your amazing heals more fun against undead, especially if you have anyone with opp attacks (Barb and Fighter?). Radiant Infusion also is a cool way to make your heals even better.

You could consider Champion dedication if you want to get in the thick of things, or Wizard/Witch dedication to cast better vs.save spells, or maybe Alchemist dedication to have some buffs that come from items freeing up combat actions, and possibly throw some bombs if you start by giving yourself a Quicksilver

e: Sorcerer dedication may be fun too, like Imperial or Elemental
e2: With only 3 players you should convince your GM to give your campaign the free archetype variant :gerty:

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 24, 2023

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

queeb posted:

Ok, starting the beginner box this weekend, and then doing the troubles in otari/abomination vaults combination. Anyone have any suggestions on ways to splice them together nicely?

Bbox > Troubles is literally the same quest lady (Tamily) just telling the party to meet her for dinner so she can give them the first quest in Troubles in Otari.

AV starts at level 1 I think, so I'm not sure how you'll merge those since the party should be level 5 at the end of Troubles

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kwolok posted:

What is everyone's favorite character sheet/builder online? I know of pathbuilder2e and wanderer's guide and I tend to lean towards wanderer's guide as it feels a bit more new player friendly, but curious to see what other people are using.

Edit: after using pathbulder2e more I think that is it actually.

Hero Lab or Foundry for keeping my actual characters, pathbuilder for quick builds and testing things

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

queeb posted:

its my wife so if she's not having fun we'll have to go back to 5e or something, happy wife happy life, haha. But yeah our martals were like, fuckin pirouetting around for panache and stabbing for huge damage, wallrunning and jumping over stuff, and our barbarian went fury instinct and took the 2 action double move/attack feat and was zipping all over the place while raging to smack guys down, both also going for trips and intimidates and just having a blast. So A+ on how good martials feel.

We'll give it a go for a few weeks, through troubles in otari and abomination vaults, get some more levels on the druid and see how it goes. worst case we look at some other spellcasters and see what shakes out.

edit: i'll look at the flexible spellcasting archtype too.

As other have said, encourage her to stick with it until 3+, or possibly let her rebuild a spontaneous caster. Also ensure she is getting a wand or stave at level 2 and frequently beyond that.

Before she knows it she will be dropping 300 point chain lightnings while the martials miss their attacks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm sure different parties have different experiences, but our AoA witch absolutely fucks, while the rogue does... ok... at keeping up thanks mostly to opportune backstab. In our SoT table, the druid is the dps star as well. Neither table has a barbarian though

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Starfinder has great lore, setting, APs, everything.... and it's a good system* that iterates nicely on PF1. It feels like Pathfinder 1.5e, but after years of PF2 it's hard to step backwards into that.

I'd buy the poo poo out of Starfinder 2e that uses the same rules and mechanics as Pathfinder 2e. Or even some decent conversions

*except space combat which sucks

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Selachian posted:

Tachyon Squadron, although that is an "everyone gets their own fighter" game.

As for Starfinder 2E, I wonder if Paizo was just afraid of splitting the existing Starfinder customer base, which is naturally smaller than the Pathfinder one. Maybe they'll revisit the idea now that PF2E has proven it can stand on its own.

Paizo's Facebook person made a pretty snippy reply to a post the other day where someone was wishing for SF in the PF2e ruleset - saying something along the lines of "We have said it before, we're not making a new Starfinder; would you care to let us know what it is you want to see from the current system?" so I'm assuming they are not interested in making a new version. But I can hope :3:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OgreNoah posted:

As someone who absolutely loves Starfinder, everyone being relentlessly negative about its slightly different rules and thus not playing it at all makes me sad.
Even though I wish it was in the PF2e ruleset, I run it and love it. Hell, I have my 13 and 15 year olds playing it on the regular :D I just screw up a lot and have to look things up due to its differences from PF2e. Also starship combat still sucks, I'll definitely put my flag on that hill

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

kirtar posted:

Anyone have a preferred method of cloud hosting Foundry at low cost?

If you are a bit of a nerd you can definitely host for free on Oracle Cloud which blows doors on AWS t2.micro, and is still significantly faster than the Forge. The two tricks are (1) waiting until they open up resources to add new free accounts and (2) understanding Linux a little bit. My Foundry instance on Oracle Cloud hasn't incurred a fee for over 2 years and I run 2-3 games a week

https://foundryvtt.wiki/en/setup/hosting/always-free-oracle

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Finster Dexter posted:

I have tried playing Starfinder, and I love the setting, but I can't help feeling like I've "graduated" from D&D 3.5/PF 1e style. I think there's a lot of jank with 3.x games, and sometimes jank is really fun. It's a subjective thing for me, though, and it's hard to go back to 3.x jank when I can play PF 2e or something a bit more refined.

This beats the pants off Azure or AWS. I was running a foundry server on Azure and it was running me like $30-40 a month. AWS was like $20. I have to check out Oracle Cloud as an option.

My AWS bill was pushing $15 and the Oracle Cloud vm just blows it away performance wise in addition to being free or at most about $2/month if you create and store a backup copy of your storage or something. I still use an S3 bucket for a lot of Foundry stuff but the bill is usually 1-2 cents a month

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

We only really use crafting for the alchemist to learn how to craft awesome poo poo like dragon's breath potions, for someone to fix a shield, or to affix store bought runes, etc.

Although if there's an overland/over water trip of 4+ days the party usually crafts some common consumables to have around. I just charge them a discounted amount in gold instead of requiring they have specific materials.

I didn't know about the Battlezoo book having new crafting rules, I thought it was just a bestiary. Definitely need to check it out now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bewilderment posted:

Being knocked unconscious also knocks your weapons out of your hands :(
This is a clear bias against dual-wielders. I only ever need one free hand in life, sovereign glue my hand to my primary weapon please. There's mutagens that actually do it but they only last like ten minutes instead of, like, the one hour I need to be properly prepped for battle.

I thought there was a weapon strap or something, maybe in Treasure Vault? But I may be misremembering. If I was your GM I'd allow the mainhand weapon to be always attached with comical side effects like you could injure yourself while eating/sleeping.

Also thank god for the website store/forum redesign. I can only hope the absolute piece of poo poo Org Play section will get redone as well.

In other news I just got my first GM glyph :toot:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Disclaimers - this probably has a few things I don't need because it's a nearly 3 year old game of AoA, also I'm still on V10 because I haven't really found a reason to move to 11 yet, and there are several modules that work fine despite having compatibility warnings (GM screen being the most notable)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jarvisi posted:

Does anyone have experience with the pf2 animations mod for foundry? Trying to see if it's worth it to do the paid tier of jb2a animations
It's awesome and well worth the patreon sub

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Agents of Edgewatch has a pretty cringe premise. I don't think "being a cop" holds much appeal to very many TTRPG community members

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My and all my players are already hyped as gently caress for SF2e this morning. There a couple of grogs complaining a lot in the SF discord but putting that awesome setting into a better mechanical system is going to own

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kineticist is already on Pathbuilder, quick work by that developer.

Rage of Elements is also now legal/sanctioned for PFS play.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New Humble Bundle that has more than 20 books worth of stuff in Hero Lab. I find this tool to be a little better than Pathbuilder for PFS related things and for actually playing your character at the table with a digital interactive sheet

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/wolflair-heros-lab-software-bundle-software

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hugoon Chavez posted:

There's a Humble Bundle going on with a bunch of Pathfinder novels, any of them worth a read? I'm not expecting incredible works of fiction, but I wouldn't mind any that has some cool setting info and is fun to read.

I picked it up because it has stuff from Eric Mona and Ed Greenwood. People seemed to like them, there has been a low key effort to get more novels made since they were discontinued (which I think recently was announced to have worked)

edit: I haven't read any of them yet though so no idea how good they are

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 16, 2023

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I like Hero Lab fine for character management (especially PFS) and that Humble Bundle is a hell of a deal but I don't get why people care about the developer being weird or whatever. Like... why do I care? When do I need to talk to the developer of some character management product

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Proven posted:

I think the proper answer for most D&D-likes is supposed to be for the Barbarian to pack a few strength-based throwing weapons, whether they be axes or javelins, and especially at early levels. For PF2E at higher levels, you recycle leftover loot to keep the throwing weapons semi-relevant, or you invest in magic items for mobility and range, like the Extending Rune (https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=1055).

The extending rune is hilarious and should definitely be taken more often. The idea of a go go gadget spring loaded weapon stabbing some critter from 60 feet away is too good to pass up for most martials

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Piell posted:

Using crit failure decks is an absolutely terrible idea for PF2E

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Blockhouse posted:

Any hot theories on the two new classes we're getting playtests for this week are?

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6sidz

With Tian Xia on the horizon I'm guessing Samurai or similar Asian themed martial

I'd like to see a Skald / Troubador / Dirge type class

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Plutonis posted:

I'm stupid enough to be planning to run an Abomination Vaults campaign even though I never played before. What are good resources for a first time GM?

Jarvisi posted:

I'd read through the beginner box if you can find a PDF of it. It really helps slowly explain concepts to both the gm and the players encounter by encounter

Also just run your players through the BB while you are reading it. Then you can go into Abomination Vaults at level 2. It's the same town and everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Andrast posted:

Lying with RK will just make my players not want to use it and that's the exact opposite of what I want to happen

This. I give my players a hero point once per session for using recall knowledge and they still don't do it lol